IGNORED

Jessa, Ben and Spurgeon Part Seven

samurai_sarah

They make no sense with this covenant marriage crap. They go on and on about marriage being sacred but then they need the covenant marriage to be harder to break than a regular marriage? I thought these people don't believe in divorce. So you need the covenant marriage since you don't have the willpower to stay married otherwise? That's how it comes off to me. 

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

They make no sense with this covenant marriage crap. They go on and on about marriage being sacred but then they need the covenant marriage to be harder to break than a regular marriage? I thought these people don't believe in divorce. So you need the covenant marriage since you don't have the willpower to stay married otherwise? That's how it comes off to me. 

No, no, no, BBP...it makes them Speshul cause the rest of us heathens just get an ordinary marriage certificate. 

24 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

No, no, no, BBP...it makes them Speshul cause the rest of us heathens just get an ordinary marriage certificate. 

Silly me, you're right. A regular old CIVIL marriage just won't do for fundie royalty!

They drive me crazy with their smugness! 

I kind of see the Covenant Marriage like their courtship rules... as a protection against doing what isn't "Godly". The covenant marriage wont let them choose to get divorced unless its a super serious reason. Forces them to work things out.. hopefully. 

Is a covenant marriage legally binding? What if they went to Nevada for a relatively quick divorce?

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Is a covenant marriage legally bimding! What if they went to Nevada for a relatively quick divorce?

Bad Wolf, this is so Extremely Defrauding.....but I won't tell!!!!!!!!!!

I think to get a divorce you have to be a resident of the state you are requesting the divorce in... so if they moved to another state and became residents then I guess they could void the covenant marriage?

Just checked NV law. Only one of the parties has to live in NV and only for 6 weeks. Go little Benny. :evil-laugh:

I still hate the name of Harry Potter's son, but at least it is a fictional character who doesn't have to live with that name, unlike poor baby Seeweed who actually has to live with introducing himself as "Spurgeon". 

I still hate the name of Harry Potter's son, but at least it is a fictional character who doesn't have to live with that name, unlike poor baby Seeweed who actually has to live with introducing himself as "Spurgeon". 

That would make for a super awkward first date.

-What's your name?

-Spurgeon Seeweed

-Not, really. What's your name?

(Insert sad face pause here)

Good thing is, Spurweed will never date. He will court whomever JimBoob chooses for him.

6 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

They have to prove how much better they are than everyone else.

3 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Well he's never going to real school. So he's good. He might never have to work. He'll have a tv show called Duggars next generation 

3 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

They have to prove how much better they are than everyone else.

Well he's never going to real school. So he's good. He might never have to work. He'll have a tv show called Duggars next generation 

Or, he'll marry a fundy girl, Naeveh, and they'll break out and have two children, John and Mary.

While I see why Ben wanted to name Spurgeon Spurgeon (not like it was a good choice, but...) I also feel it was in part due to the competition of sorts I saw between Jill and Jessa ever since they started courting. Especially with Jill being the golden child and Jessa being smug... Then you have Jill naming her kid "Israel". I'd say that's a pretty political name when it comes to fundies. Then they go on their mission and Spurgeon Elliot just seems like "See we can give our child a religious name too"... I don't think Jessa had much say in the name, but I could see Ben feeling the competition and going for it.

14 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

We see this pattern in a lot of fundie thinking. You don't believe in sex before marriage, so instead of just, ya know, not having sex before marriage, make incredibly restrictive rules about how much contact and alone time a couple can have, act as though a hug or a moment holding hands will instantly lead to sex, and tell everyone how pure and awesome you are.

And that's not even getting into "look how sexually pure I am! I'm so sexually pure that unless women are dressed in an arbitrarily 'modest' way, I will go into a sexual frenzy and think impure thoughts!" I never get trumpeting a complete lack of self-control and healthy boundaries/discipline as religious piety.

My favorite part about the whole courtship/covenant marriage nonsense is that these are mostly parents who actually, all things considered, have very successful marriages.  Then they turn around to their kids and say, "See our great marriage?  You want one like this?  Ok, see all these things we did to get here?

Do none of them!"

It makes no sense.

42 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

My favorite part about the whole courtship/covenant marriage nonsense is that these are mostly parents who actually, all things considered, have very successful marriages.  Then they turn around to their kids and say, "See our great marriage?  You want one like this?  Ok, see all these things we did to get here?

Do none of them!"

It makes no sense.

This! These parents got to know their spouses without a bunch of rules. 

It angers me how, their relationship aside, JB and Michelle got to have a fairly normal adolescence. They went to school outside their homes, had friends, JB worked at an ice cream shop, heck Michelle was a cheerleader! They got to do all these things but they still ended up (in their opinion) on the right path. It's unfair they got to see even a bit of the outside world, and let their children see none of it. 

I don't necessarily think that all of the Duggar kids would have ended up toeing the party line had they been allowed to experience more out of life. But by keeping them away JB and Michelle are effectively forcing their children to stay in the movement.

3 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

While I see why Ben wanted to name Spurgeon Spurgeon (not like it was a good choice, but...) I also feel it was in part due to the competition of sorts I saw between Jill and Jessa ever since they started courting. Especially with Jill being the golden child and Jessa being smug... Then you have Jill naming her kid "Israel". I'd say that's a pretty political name when it comes to fundies. Then they go on their mission and Spurgeon Elliot just seems like "See we can give our child a religious name too"... I don't think Jessa had much say in the name, but I could see Ben feeling the competition and going for it.

What annoys me is that he could have made the same 'point' by naming the baby 'Charles' as per Spurgeon's first name, and Charles Elliot Seewald is a perfectly lovely name but then I guess people wouldn't have been talking about it and making them ~famous~. Such a great dad, caring more about being talked about for 2 days than his child living with that name for the rest of his life. 

4 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

What annoys me is that he could have made the same 'point' by naming the baby 'Charles' as per Spurgeon's first name, and Charles Elliot Seewald is a perfectly lovely name but then I guess people wouldn't have been talking about it and making them ~famous~. Such a great dad, caring more about being talked about for 2 days than his child living with that name for the rest of his life. 

People might think he was named after any old Charles...maybe even Darwin! 

13 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

If there is a competition I think Jill & Derrick are winning. They moved away, Derrick has a job (of sorts) independent of JB (possibly), they are obviously in love with each other, and as far as we know now, they didn't rush to have another kid. Maybe they are trying and it really is God's will that their babies be spaced out a bit, but they haven't had another one yet and that's a win for them in my book. Jessa is just waiting for SES to be 9 months old so she can acquire more children by whatever means possible.

On 6/16/2016 at 6:48 PM, lascuba said:

Purrl

• Blanket Trained
  • Purrl
  • Members
  • 28 posts
20 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

If there is a competition I think Jill & Derrick are winning. They moved away, Derrick has a job (of sorts) independent of JB (possibly), they are obviously in love with each other, and as far as we know now, they didn't rush to have another kid. Maybe they are trying and it really is God's will that their babies be spaced out a bit, but they haven't had another one yet and that's a win for them in my book. Jessa is just waiting for SES to be 9 months old so she can acquire more children by whatever means possible.

and it's getting obvious in every posts of late. 

constantly telling us how big Spud is 

it's and she is annoying 

who knew she would be like her mother so much 

7 minutes ago, nst said:

and it's getting obvious in every posts of late. 

constantly telling us how big Spud is 

it's and she is annoying 

who knew she would be like her mother so much 

to be fair, what else does the girl have to talk about? There doesn't seem to be anything else interesting enough to report going on...if there was, we would have already heard all about it. Unless of course it's like totally so awesome that they're saving it for a like totally awesome speshul episode (yeah, no, we would know already).

19 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

I don't necessarily think that all of the Duggar kids would have ended up toeing the party line had they been allowed to experience more out of life. But by keeping them away JB and Michelle are effectively forcing their children to stay in the movement.

I wonder if JD is REALLY toeing the line. He has had more contact with the secular world than any of the others (except Joshley...)

On 6/17/2016 at 1:55 AM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Or we can hope that he has the ability to manipulate his moron father. "Dad, the lord has spoken to me and wants me to call myself Elliot."

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived