IGNORED

Jessa, Ben and Spurgeon Part Seven

samurai_sarah

5 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I think he posted the video because her family has had a TeeVee show, they have a big Facebook page and a blog and blah and blah and people follow her. I think the dish is silly for the making of a video. I could video myself cutting up a rotisserie chicken and serving a healthy, purchased vegetable side dish.

But I will spare you all. Y'all. 

I think this is what they do instead of work. "Wait honey, don't take out that trash until I get the camera! Oh look at my godly husband, purposing to take out the trash. See how much he loves me!"

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

People who want to learn how to cook would be better served by referring to basic cookbooks like a lot of us did. Or even watching cooking videos by people that can really cook, since this is 2016 and all.  Not watching Jessa!

I wonder about how the Duggars next gen would feel about cookbooks. It's possible that they would feel intimidated by them, since they'd use foods and techniques that are completely foreign. Another issue for them would be that many recipes call for wine, etc., and, as obnoxiously outspoken they are about their beliefs, I can't see them risking buying a cookbook that might be sinful. That would take out the cookbooks written by stars on the Food Network.

Regarding Jesse's cooking posts, I see part of this as generational (spoken as someone from Generation X, who came of age before the internet and really doesn't like to share anything) and part  of this as growing up on TV, where significant parts of her life was televised regularly.

10 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I think this is what they do instead of work. "Wait honey, don't take out that trash until I get the camera! Oh look at my godly husband, purposing to take out the trash. See how much he loves me!"

UG, you are quite funny. Maybe I should film myself laughing.....wait.....I am not godly and I do not have that TeeVee show. 

@RoseWilder and others in the discussion of whether it is/isn't appropriate to snark about Jessa's cooking video:

I agree with those who point out that this is a snarking forum and that the recipe isn't worthy of a video and therefore deserves snark.  But I also agree that sometimes the snarking here crosses into ridiculous nitpicking.  It becomes repetitious and boring. Just because the Duggars are boring, we don't need to get equally boring in our snark.

As for RoseWilder or anyone else being the "snark police,"  I didn't read it as trying to "police" but as giving an opinion with a bit of its own snark.  Question: Is it okay on a snark forum to snark about each other's snarking?  IMHO it is.  

The problem with snarking at the video (which I haven't seen, by the way) is that it is only the umpteenth example of how the Duggar daughters learned few if any real domestic skills in a family that supposedly emphasized domesticity for daughters.  So we end up talking about the specific, silly recipe as though it had more importance than it does.   

RoseWilder is right that in our eagerness to snark, we are overlooking that this is actually a sign that Jessa is moving forward, going beyond the limited things that she learned at the TTC.  It is a sign, to me, that Jessa is willing to learn.

So I will not snark at the recipe (but others may). Instead, I will point out that every time Jessa or Jill or eventually Jinger and (we hope) Joy and Jana posts that she is doing something differently than what Michelle and JB "taught" them, we are seeing little glimmers of individuality that implicitly challenge the Duggar Borg.  

JMHO  

I'm surprised she wears that Nike shirt. * I * find it work out and age appropriate but didn't we get a lecture a couple of years back on immodest clothing, part of which was about it being too form fitting/revealing? Again, I think there is nothing wrong with what she is wearing * tries really hard to ignore the shoes * but it has seemed that (with Jill too) once they become pregnant super tight shirts are ok? Their contradicting views on things confuse me. 

12 hours ago, RabbitKM said:

I really hate it when the snark police come around on these forums.  If we want to snark that Jessa made a fancy version of tater-tot casserole and posted a video about, that's what we're going to do.  No one is breaking any rules.  

This is a snark forum.  If we can only snark on things certain people deem snarkable, that takes away from the fun now doesn't it.

Agreed. Bitch Eating Crackers is some of my favorite stuff because I totally agree. What is ok for Normals, is not okay for Duggars. Those bitches with crackers.

12 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I don't get why she felt she needed to make a video about it.

Like most Duggars, she's a famewhore. Someone said earlier or elsewhere, they think they are so superior that we peons want to know everything about how they live. I do think it is hilarious to imagine them thinking they are home making icons or something. As if a child with a cook book couldn't do better.

19 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

It seems like we weaken our valid arguments against Fundies when we nitpick over every little thing. I don't care that Jessa isn't making gourmet meals. I care when a Fundie is not feeding their child enough or they're feeding them rice three meals a day or feeding them nothing but processed food.

I'm not trying to save fundies from heart disease, I'm trying to enjoy myself by bitching about them.

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

Agreed. Bitch Eating Crackers is some of my favorite stuff because I totally agree. What is ok for Normals, is not okay for Duggars. Those bitches with crackers.

Like most Duggars, she's a famewhore. Someone said earlier or elsewhere, they think they are so superior that we peons want to know everything about how they live. I do think it is hilarious to imagine them thinking they are home making icons or something. As if a child with a cook book couldn't do better.

I'm not trying to save fundies from heart disease, I'm trying to enjoy myself by bitching about them.

bitching about Ben is fun because there is so much to bitch about him and Jessa 

especially when the blinders come off 

To snark or not to snark?....that is the question!

but really,. I don't care enough about them to worry much about what is said or not said. They exist mainly for my amusement anyway.   As long as they broadcast their mediocrity, then I say.....Snark away!!!

10 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

I'm surprised she wears that Nike shirt. * I * find it work out and age appropriate but didn't we get a lecture a couple of years back on immodest clothing, part of which was about it being too form fitting/revealing? Again, I think there is nothing wrong with what she is wearing * tries really hard to ignore the shoes * but it has seemed that (with Jill too) once they become pregnant super tight shirts are ok? Their contradicting views on things confuse me. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with what she's wearing...if she weren't at the gym doing squats in a pencil skirt and ballet flats. Honey, you're lifting weights in a private gym with just your husband; you won't shrivel and die or turn into a Kardashian or cause your neighbor to demand a divorce if you wear basketball shorts and sneakers to work out.

Also, slightly off-topic, but I don't understand people who get super dolled up to go to the gym. I mean, I love wearing cute workout clothes (Athleta 4lyfe) and doing fun stuff with my hair (braid my bangs, make twists with my bangs, wear cute headbands, try to do a ponytail reminiscent of Rey's hair from Star Wars), but for the life of me I will never understand people who put on full-drag makeup (it's just going to sweat off and get everywhere) and honestly kind of impractical gym wear, and then spend the whole time at the gym taking selfies.

Do you think when they know there's going to be no photographic evidence they will actually wear activity-appropriate clothes?

Or do you think Jessa's convictions are so strong she doesn't dare at least look at cute gym wear like Lululemon and think "wow, I want that."

Seeing as Ben comes from a family of pants wearers and there are other families like the Websters who have no issue with pants and tank tops.

Or does she think they're dirty heathens too?

I just feel like the Duggar girls do not wear pants unless they have their stupid skirts over them. If they did, they would not be taking any photos. I saw Alyssa wearing jeans in a casual Instagram photo, but I can't see a Duggar even doing that.

2 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

Do you think when they know there's going to be no photographic evidence they will actually wear activity-appropriate clothes?

Or do you think Jessa's convictions are so strong she doesn't dare at least look at cute gym wear like Lululemon and think "wow, I want that."

Seeing as Ben comes from a family of pants wearers and there are other families like the Websters who have no issue with pants and tank tops.

Or does she think they're dirty heathens too?

I think they definitely wear pants around the house (probably just around family) and for working out when there are no cameras. That picture of Jessa didn't look like she was really working out, anyway. The expression on her face, her stance...it was clearly meant to be a silly picture. Jessa did post a picture of herself when she was pregnant wearing pants at the pool, and there's a picture of Jinger floating around with her sitting at the TTH couch wearing yoga pants. I don't think anyone but Michelle is so convicted about skirt-wearing that they'll refuse to wear pants when necessary, in private.

since this is a snark site - can we snark all the ways until the show returns about how Ben and jessa are snarkable 

1. they post videos about cooking and zoom onto a dirty floor for that their son crawls on 

2. they post pictures claiming it is the actual day when it's not -hello the tire episode

i could go on :D

She wasn't working out. She was just goofing off or the picture.

2 hours ago, nst said:

since this is a snark site - can we snark all the ways until the show returns about how Ben and jessa are snarkable 

1. they post videos about cooking and zoom onto a dirty floor for that their son crawls on 

2. they post pictures claiming it is the actual day when it's not -hello the tire episode

i could go on :D

Please, go on!

Wonder how Ben's music career is going? 

And I wonder how Jessa is enjoying Jinger being the current media darling.

3 hours ago, lascuba said:

I think they definitely wear pants around the house (probably just around family) and for working out when there are no cameras. That picture of Jessa didn't look like she was really working out, anyway. The expression on her face, her stance...it was clearly meant to be a silly picture. Jessa did post a picture of herself when she was pregnant wearing pants at the pool, and there's a picture of Jinger floating around with her sitting at the TTH couch wearing yoga pants. I don't think anyone but Michelle is so convicted about skirt-wearing that they'll refuse to wear pants when necessary, in private.

Jinger had a skirt over the yoga pants, I believe. I think Jessa also wore broad shorts while camping with the Bateses. 

2 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Please, go on!

based on the fact that Pickles has the arrest report for Jeremy out on intouch 

I am thinking Jessa's engagement and courting announcements were better than Jinger's - no scandals 

I can't stand Jeremy or much less Jinger but if they are engaged and in secret - I wonder how it makes Jinger feel that her boy toy was arrested. 

On 6/28/2016 at 9:09 AM, 2manyKidzzz said:

I think he posted the video because her family has had a TeeVee show, they have a big Facebook page and a blog and blah and blah and people follow her. I think the dish is silly for the making of a video. I could video myself cutting up a rotisserie chicken and serving a healthy, purchased vegetable side dish.

But I will spare you all. Y'all. 

i can videotape myself painting tomorrow a seagull to show you all heathens how to paint a seagull 

22 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

@RoseWilder and others in the discussion of whether it is/isn't appropriate to snark about Jessa's cooking video:

I agree with those who point out that this is a snarking forum and that the recipe isn't worthy of a video and therefore deserves snark.  But I also agree that sometimes the snarking here crosses into ridiculous nitpicking.  It becomes repetitious and boring. Just because the Duggars are boring, we don't need to get equally boring in our snark.

As for RoseWilder or anyone else being the "snark police,"  I didn't read it as trying to "police" but as giving an opinion with a bit of its own snark.  Question: Is it okay on a snark forum to snark about each other's snarking?  IMHO it is.  

The problem with snarking at the video (which I haven't seen, by the way) is that it is only the umpteenth example of how the Duggar daughters learned few if any real domestic skills in a family that supposedly emphasized domesticity for daughters.  So we end up talking about the specific, silly recipe as though it had more importance than it does.   

RoseWilder is right that in our eagerness to snark, we are overlooking that this is actually a sign that Jessa is moving forward, going beyond the limited things that she learned at the TTC.  It is a sign, to me, that Jessa is willing to learn.

So I will not snark at the recipe (but others may). Instead, I will point out that every time Jessa or Jill or eventually Jinger and (we hope) Joy and Jana posts that she is doing something differently than what Michelle and JB "taught" them, we are seeing little glimmers of individuality that implicitly challenge the Duggar Borg.  

JMHO  

nitpicking gets me through the day 

won't stop sorry 

i could nitpick after Jessa and Ben for hours 

2 hours ago, season of life said:

Jinger had a skirt over the yoga pants, I believe. I think Jessa also wore broad shorts while camping with the Bateses. 

Also gonna chime in to say that I totally (heh) caught Jill wearing pants in one of the first Counting On episodes last winter. It was a scene in which she and Derick were still in the states but I think they were packing or something. She was sitting down mostly but then you could see them when she got up to put Izzy in his room. They were like, flowy yoga pants or something. Oh, and I'm sure I've seen her in what look like pajama pants in Instagram photos. Not like it makes any difference whatsoever, but it still puts me in a snarky mood whenever I spot one of them wearing godforsaken heathen clothes that break all their jinder rules by having two leg holes instead of one. :pb_rollseyes:

2 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Please, go on!

she had dust under her bedroom floor after giving birth 

6 hours ago, lascuba said:

What bothers me the most about the no-pants wearing for girls rule is that we get very rare photographic evidence that this is not true. If they want to exclusively wear skirts that's fine, but don't present some bullshit image on TV about how you never wear pants because modesty and femininity and bogus gender roles when we know that is not true. Why can't they just say on TV "Hey, we prefer dresses and skirts but we do put on gym pants and shorts every once and a while because it's more practical". The whole thing completely reeks of sexist daddy duggar garbage to me, and because Michelle eats that crap up, they follow her lead.

4 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

She wasn't working out. She was just goofing off or the picture.

The actual Nike workout shirt she is wearing leads me to want to disagree with this. I don't care either way just get the girl some friggen sneakers. and socks. I don't think I've ever seen a Duggar girl with socks. 

2 minutes ago, Casserole said:

The actual Nike workout shirt she is wearing leads me to want to disagree with this. I don't care either way just get the girl some friggen sneakers. and socks. I don't think I've ever seen a Duggar girl with socks. 

jessa wore nike on that episode where she and  ben went gun shooting 

as did Jason who was wedged in between them

43 minutes ago, barbecutie said:

What bothers me the most about the no-pants wearing for girls rule is that we get very rare photographic evidence that this is not true. If they want to exclusively wear skirts that's fine, but don't present some bullshit image on TV about how you never wear pants because modesty and femininity and bogus gender roles when we know that is not true. Why can't they just say on TV "Hey, we prefer dresses and skirts but we do put on gym pants and shorts every once and a while because it's more practical". The whole thing completely reeks of sexist daddy duggar garbage to me, and because Michelle eats that crap up, they follow her lead.

My impression is that Jessa and Jill have pretty much stopped following the "modest dress" rules, but just don't come out and say so because it would be to speak up against what the family says.  Those tight tops are not modest even if the belly and bust outlined are pregnant or post-partum/lactating. And it does seem that they will sometimes wear pants in the privacy of their homes.

I forget where I read that Joy and the younger girls sometimes wear pants at the TTH when no one is around.  This probably wasn't Michelle's idea.

I sincerely hope that picture is staged. You just can't work out in inappropriate shoes and not eventually hurt yourself. Even bad tennis shoes can cause painful leg and foot problems. 

As for the food video, I didn't think it was the worst. I think I would have done some things differently, which is cook the vegetables for a while first and then add the ground beef. The longer ground beef cooks the drier and chewier it gets. I might even cook the ground beef and drain it first to avoid the grease. I don't know. At least it was fresh ingredients. 

Also, Jessa, as evidenced on old episodes of 19KAC is not a recipe person. I remember there was an episode where they were in the kitchen with Grandma D making cookies or pies or something and she was trying to get Jessa to measure and Jessa was being downright rude to her and refusing to even try to measure. I'm pretty sure it was cookies. Ever since that episode I've sort of thought Jessa just doesn't have the patience for recipe cooking. If it's not thrown together, it's not for her.   

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived