IGNORED

Jessa, Ben and Spurgeon Part Seven

samurai_sarah

25 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Noooooooo this all turned into another HP conversation!!! lol I know thread drift happens and I'm not bitching about that, but man the mere mention of HP devours threads! I loved the books, the movies were fine, but I will never understand the undying obsession with HP. I read them as an adult, maybe that's the reason.

:pb_lol:

I love the HP thread drift, but I get how it's probably obnoxious after a while.

For me, a big part of the draw is because I literally grew up with these characters. I think I was 9 or 11 when the first book came out and I was in college for the last one. For a kid like me who was really withdrawn and socially awkward, these characters kind of became my friends and an escape in some ways. When I was upset or scared or lonely I would just retreat to the books again - the different characters managing to find their way and place in the world gave me hope that I would too one day.

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I wonder when they are all going to learn and accept that none of them is the best at anything- and neither are their parents. Being the best means working hard-for forever-being tenacious and up to date. These folks are lazy and lackluster. And in terms of this discussion, the cooking skills shown are poor. The housekeeping is poor- the parenting, not the greatest.

They are masters of nothing.

They need to go away and wallow in their own perceived greatness.

When will they learn? I doubt they will as long as their leghumpers continue telling them they are amazing. It's tough to face reality when you have a ton of people telling you something false is true. Plus, I don't know how willing they would be to consider they don't know everything anyway. They seem awfully content with the way things are now.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I love the HP thread drift, but I get how it's probably obnoxious after a while.

For me, a big part of the draw is because I literally grew up with these characters. I think I was 9 or 11 when the first book came out and I was in college for the last one. For a kid like me who was really withdrawn and socially awkward, these characters kind of became my friends and an escape in some ways. When I was upset or scared or lonely I would just retreat to the books again - the different characters managing to find their way and place in the world gave me hope that I would too one day.

Oh I definitely get how children get attached to books. I loved Babysitters Club, though we didn't have the connection that people have now with the internet and stuff. At least HP is good quality writing, unlike BSC! lol I started reading them in grad school, around when the 6th book was coming out, so I just don't have that connection some people do. To me, the remind me of awesome days of sitting in the local bagel shop eating and reading HP. And when the last book came out, my husband and I getting them release day guarantee from Amazon and staying up til we were done so we didn't have it ruined by spoilers from anyone. I just don't have the emotional connection some people do. As for the movies, honestly I think the kids are all pretty terrible actors so that made it hard for me. I loved all the adults, obviously as they're all the cream of the British crop!

I make something similar to what Jessa made, but with sausage and I use other root vegetables.

I use sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, carrots, onions, sausage (I don't add it to the pan raw - I cook it first), Italian seasonings and olive oil. I cut the root vegetables into smaller pieces than Jessa did. And the end result is really good. 

On 6/25/2016 at 7:55 PM, seasonsoflife said:

Also, that needs some broth.

I think adding broth to it would make the vegetables soggy. I prefer crispy vegetables. 

I really don't understand all the snark from so many about what she made. She used actual food, not crap from a can. It has seasonings. It has fresh vegetables. I think there are plenty of things to mock the Duggars for, but this isn't one of them. 

Lifting in a tight skirt and ballet flats? *facepalm* Would it kill these girls to dress appropriately for physical exercise etc behind closed doors?? Like I get it you're so fucking holy for wearing skirts all the time yadda yadda but this is plain dumb. And tie your hair up for christ's sake. UGH.

51 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

she looks freaking ridiculous - I hope it's not a real outfit she works out in

I think it's a fake shot 

1 hour ago, RoseWilder said:

I really don't understand all the snark from so many about what she made. She used actual food, not crap from a can. It has seasonings. It has fresh vegetables. I think there are plenty of things to mock the Duggars for, but this isn't one of them. 

Yes it is because there was nothing special at all to be making a video aboit. Nothing at all. What vegetables did she use other than potatoes? Sorry, I am not impressed.

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

Yes it is because there was nothing special at all to be making a video aboit. Nothing at all. What vegetables did she use other than potatoes? Sorry, I am not impressed.

Most of the snark was not because she was making a video about it. One or two people mentioned she shouldn't be making a video about it, but most of the mocking was about the ingredients used and the cooking methods. And the snark about that was a big over the top. 

As for her making a video about it, I don't see the need for mocking that either. It could actually be helpful to people who have no cooking skills to see someone else with very few cooking skills jumping in there and giving it a try. Good grief, a recipe doesn't have to have 20 ingredients or use complicated methods to be a good recipe. And some people are not ever going to be gourmet cooks, but she's trying. And if she wants to post a video about it for the other non-gourmet cooks out there, I see nothing wrong with that. 

And I'm not clear on the point of your "what vegetables other than potatoes" comment. She used sweet potatoes (which is a vegetable) and onions (also a vegetable.) People have spent years on here complaining about the cream soups and casseroles that involve 5 cans of processed food that this family cooks (and rightly so) and then Jessa makes a recipe that involves fresh ingredients and nothing from a can and over-the-top knit-picking and mocking occurs. I just don't get it. 

Finally watched the video. Um, has anyone mentioned little Spurge in the Bumbo rather unattended?  I mean, Jessa's nearby and Bin is filming, but the kid's on a tile floor in a contraption notorious for serious head injuries.  I think BJ were focused on making the video, not hovering nearby Spurge just in case he made a wild movement and went flying backward.  First Jill laughs at Izzy licking the fan, now Jessa cooks with Spurge in the Bumbo.  Duggar-style parenting nearly at its finest.  

33 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

Most of the snark was not because she was making a video about it. One or two people mentioned she shouldn't be making a video about it, but most of the mocking was about the ingredients used and the cooking methods. And the snark about that was a big over the top. 

As for her making a video about it, I don't see the need for mocking that either. It could actually be helpful to people who have no cooking skills to see someone else with very few cooking skills jumping in there and giving it a try. Good grief, a recipe doesn't have to have 20 ingredients or use complicated methods to be a good recipe. And some people are not ever going to be gourmet cooks, but she's trying. And if she wants to post a video about it for the other non-gourmet cooks out there, I see nothing wrong with that. 

And I'm not clear on the point of your "what vegetables other than potatoes" comment. She used sweet potatoes (which is a vegetable) and onions (also a vegetable.) People have spent years on here complaining about the cream soups and casseroles that involve 5 cans of processed food that this family cooks (and rightly so) and then Jessa makes a recipe that involves fresh ingredients and nothing from a can and over-the-top knit-picking and mocking occurs. I just don't get it. 

Are you familiar with "Bitch Eating Crackers?"

As to that picture-- good grief. That was definitely a fake/staged shot. Bin seems to know a thing or two about fitness-- failing any real understanding of the human body, he at least knows how to dress for a workout.

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

Are you familiar with "Bitch Eating Crackers?"

Yes!

It seems like we weaken our valid arguments against Fundies when we nitpick over every little thing. I don't care that Jessa isn't making gourmet meals. I care when a Fundie is not feeding their child enough or they're feeding them rice three meals a day or feeding them nothing but processed food. I'm never going to see a problem with a fundie making a meal for their family that actually contains protein and fresh vegetables and no cans of processed food, no matter how simply it may be prepared. 

And the more I think about it, the more I understand why Jessa thinks the meal she made was impressive enough to be videoed and put up online. She grew up in a household where putting spaghetti sauce on bread and putting cheese on top and broiling it or adding barbecue sauce to tuna was considered cooking. Jessa probably thinks she's a gourmet cook compared to that. 

5 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

She really needs to put on some fucking appropriate foot wear for using a gym.

If she breaks her foot, maybe that means Straight Outta Claritin will step up with parenting Spurge for a while.

I really hate it when the snark police come around on these forums.  If we want to snark that Jessa made a fancy version of tater-tot casserole and posted a video about, that's what we're going to do.  No one is breaking any rules.  

This is a snark forum.  If we can only snark on things certain people deem snarkable, that takes away from the fun now doesn't it.

33 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

I really hate it when the snark police come around on these forums.  If we want to snark that Jessa made a fancy version of tater-tot casserole and posted a video about, that's what we're going to do.  No one is breaking any rules.  

This is a snark forum.  If we can only snark on things certain people deem snarkable, that takes away from the fun now doesn't it.

I agree. Sometimes the snark really is overly petty or just flat out wrong, but mostly it's not. 

Regarding Jessa's cooking video, I feel a few things:

1. I don't get why she felt she needed to make a video about it. Is it part of their Ministry? A way to keep fans interested? Was she just really proud of herself for trying something new?

2. I give her credit for at least using fresh ingredients because I doubt she had much exposure to those growing up.

3. The recipe, as is, is not something I would eat or prepare myself. It doesn't sound very appetizing to me. Everyone has different taste though, so if they like it that's good.

4. At the very least, the video helps show that she is improving slightly as a cook with time. Maybe not as fast as a lot of us would in her shoes, but it's better than not progressing at all. The recipe does have a lot more potential than TTC though (thankfully) and with time she may refine it further to be more palatable.

ETA: Totally didn't do this on purpose, but I just realized I did a sandwich critique - where you place critical feedback between more positive feedback. It's nice to see I remember something from my college Creative Fiction class. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I agree. Sometimes the snark really is overly petty or just flat out wrong, but mostly it's not. 

1. I don't get why she felt she needed to make a video about it. Is it part of their Ministry? A way to keep fans interested? Was she just really proud of herself for trying something new?

2. I give her credit for at least using fresh ingredients because I doubt she had much exposure to those growing up.

3. The recipe, as is, is not something I would eat or prepare myself. It doesn't sound very appetizing to me. Everyone has different taste though, so if they like it that's good.

4. At the very least, the video helps show that she is improving slightly as a cook with time. Maybe not as fast as a lot of us would in her shoes, but it's better than not progressing at all. The recipe does have a lot more potential than TTC though (thankfully) and with time she may refine it further to be more palatable.

ETA: Totally didn't do this on purpose, but I just realized I did a sandwich critique - where you place critical feedback between more positive feedback. It's nice to see I remember something from my college Creative Fiction class. :pb_lol:

I get the impression she wants to show her pretty little family.  That and she loves that Ben videotapes her realllly close up - no one caught that weird smile when he zoomed in - these two like their audience of each other.  And like to show it to us heathens 

Her cooking just amuses me because she thinks no one else can do it.  

the way she cuts the sweet potatoes always scare me - slice it the other way - less scary. 

She is wearing a Nike branded top, so I guess that is "workout" appropriate attire. :my_tongue:

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

:pb_lol:

Perhaps we need a/an HP thread, or probably quiver, as it draws such strong opinions. 

I read them as an adult, starting out reading aloud to my daughter, then over the years as she could read herself, it was a huge point of discussion for us. Loved them all, will probably reread one this summer, since it keeps coming up. Totally escapist!

11 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

She really needs to put on some fucking appropriate foot wear for using a gym.

At least it isn't flip flops.

11 hours ago, nst said:

she looks freaking ridiculous - I hope it's not a real outfit she works out in

I think it's a fake shot 

I suspect most/all of what we see is a fake shot.

1 hour ago, RabbitKM said:

I wasn't being the snark police. I was expressing my opinion that I think snarking on someone for this is ridiculous. No one's stopping you from continuing to mock Jessa if you want to, and since I haven't broken any rule here either, there's really no reason why I can't express an opinion that disagrees with that snark. 

Also, is this just a snark board? Because this is what it says on the main page for the Duggar section: We exist to discuss the damage caused by fundamentalists. I was simply pointing out that it distracts from the legitimate discussion of the damage of fundamentalism if you're going to knitpick every little thing someone does. 

It's really starting to feel like no one can disagree with the majority opinion around here without being told that they're using the board for the wrong purpose. If someone points out in a Bates thread that one of the kids seems to be moving away from their parents beliefs, they're repeatedly chastised for it and informed that we're here to discuss the dangers of fundamentalism and not to say anything nice about the Bates. And if someone dares to say that the Duggars did something that wasn't awful, then they're told repeatedly that this is a snark board. 

That's fine, I can go post in other threads if my presence in this one is such a problem for people. But I stand by my opinions stated here and I'm not sorry I tried to interject another viewpoint. 

1 hour ago, paulypepper said:

She is wearing a Nike branded top, so I guess that is "workout" appropriate attire. :my_tongue:

And she doesn't even see the irony in it.

49 minutes ago, seasonsoflife said:

And she doesn't even see the irony in it.

Well if she wears this we know what Bin will be looking at when she yells NIKE.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I think she's trying to be the next hit TV cook- she probably thinks Sandra Lee is a good cook.

I DO find that offensive.

These folks think they deserve a TV show and easy money. WHY is that?

They do nothing.

They know nothing.

They lack educations and skills.

They lack any apparent sustained work ethics.

They want attention and money via a TV show instead of earning money from their actual skills or knowledge.

As a potential consumer of that show, I can and will comment.

I am not buying what they are attempting to sell.

NO, I do not watch the show.

I think these comments are a little BEUCOSPOAGC (Bitch Eating Unseasoned Chunks Of Sweet Potato, Onion And Ground Chuck)

12 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

I hear you, but I count onion as a seasoning not a vegetable unless it is a side dish like creamed onions.

Over-the-top nit picking and mocking=snark=FJ!

People who want to learn how to cook would be better served by referring to basic cookbooks like a lot of us did. Or even watching cooking videos by people that can really cook, since this is 2016 and all.  Not watching Jessa!

I don't think any of the cooking snark has been that bad, not at all. If she starts opening canned cream of whatever though, it might get ugly up in here.

I don't get defense of this trite video, it's just something else to laugh at as far as I am concerned. The lack of cooking skills is the least of my concerns when it comes to the Duggars and the rest of the fundies we discuss here.

I think he posted the video because her family has had a TeeVee show, they have a big Facebook page and a blog and blah and blah and people follow her. I think the dish is silly for the making of a video. I could video myself cutting up a rotisserie chicken and serving a healthy, purchased vegetable side dish.

But I will spare you all. Y'all. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived