IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 16

samurai_sarah

4 hours ago, manda b said:

It could have been worse. He could have said we've been practicing though. :shudder:

I'm sure that comment will be next. Like father-in-law, like son-in-law, right? Sounds exactly like something Jim Bob would say!

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/19/2016 at 10:49 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

The problem with simply reading the Qu'ran and assuming that that's what Muslims believe is that Islam, whether Sunni, Shia, or any of the smaller sects, does not operate from a "sola scriptura" perspective. If you want to understand how Islam actually functions at a societal level, you (you in the general sense, not you in particular) have to ditch the "Protestant googles," and look at the hadith and Islamic jurisprudence, among other things.  I am not an apologist for Islam by any means, but reading the Qu'ran on your own without any context is not very helpful in trying to understand how Islamic beliefs and practices are actually lived on a daily basis.

I think this is a fair point, but another difference between Islam and Christianity is that generally even the moderate Muslims believe that every word of the Qu'ran in Arabic came straight from God, while almost all Christian groups acknowledge that at the very least humans had some influence on the Bible and that every version of the Bible we have has been translated from its original language. 

11 hours ago, season of life said:

"No, not yet."

Lmao, way to be open about your sex life. I've got a feeling they aren't using contraceptives and are abstaining, and Derick is just shrugging his shoulders to say, "Lol, I dunno, I'll let nature take its course."

I surely would not want my spouse to inform the public of any potential pregnancies via Twitter, of all places. 

Maybe Jill doesn't want her announcement to be overshadowed by Jinger's so they decided to wait a bit.

20 hours ago, Purrl said:

Maybe Jill doesn't want her announcement to be overshadowed by Jinger's so they decided to wait a bit.

More likely waiting a week because sharing a cover of People won't bring in the moolah and as speshul snowflakes they should each get their own covers :special-snowflake2:

3 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

More likely waiting a week because sharing a cover of People won't bring in the moolah and as speshul snowflakes they should each get their own covers :special-snowflake2:

If she overshadows another sister's engagemet with a pregnancy announcement like she did with jessa's i'm gonna lose it :pb_lol:

On 6/21/2016 at 0:31 AM, Rachel333 said:

I think this is a fair point, but another difference between Islam and Christianity is that generally even the moderate Muslims believe that every word of the Qu'ran in Arabic came straight from God, while almost all Christian groups acknowledge that at the very least humans had some influence on the Bible and that every version of the Bible we have has been translated from its original language. 

News to me, since I don't believe everything in the Quran came directly from God. I also doubt almost all Christian groups hold onto that idea since there is literally a site that discusses families/churches that think a woman is doomed if she cuts her long hair.

On 6/20/2016 at 0:12 PM, Imrlgoddess said:

I mentioned this over in the Anderson's thread...

Being brought up, I was taught that to be Christian meant you followed the teachings of Christ therefore the New Testament.  Why is it that preachers like PP and families such as the Duggars rely so heavily on the Old Testament?  That's one I've never been able to reconcile...

It suits their authoritarian side. (Mean streak?)

But I agree, they are not very Christ like, no matter how "godly" they call themselves.

3 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

If she overshadows another sister's engagemet with a pregnancy announcement like she did with jessa's i'm gonna lose it :pb_lol:

Again, the timing likely wasn't Jill's fault. They announced when the magazine was released. That means that a photo shoot and interview had to be conducted ahead of time so they could meet the deadline for printing. 

Jessa and Ben were engaged August 14. The magazine came out August 20. That is not nearly enough time in which to get everything done for a cover story and I wouldn't be surprised if the Dills didn't know exactly when the proposal would be either. 

(Sorry, but this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Blame them all you want for stuff they purposely do - like harassing the people of CA - but it just seems petty to blame them for this when it was probably just a coincidence or bad timing.)

I think the Duggars have to keep a kid in charge of arranging dates, events, and timelines so they can avoid overlapping news. That could be a potential jurisdiction!

Wow, Derick is so inarticulate. I know his degree is in accounting so I don't expect him to have the writing skills of someone who studied writing, but I do expect someone with a college degree to at least make sense.

Derrick is a Duggar now. Kind of like Dr. Who calling Rory and Amy the Ponds instead of Williams, and Rory ends up agreeing. Which will make no sense to a lot of people here. Forgive my obsession with the doctor. It's actually greater than my FJ addiction.

26 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Wow, Derick is so inarticulate. I know his degree is in accounting so I don't expect him to have the writing skills of someone who studied writing, but I do expect someone with a college degree to at least make sense.

My husband is an Accountant and my grandpa is an Engineer. They both agree that communication is the biggest issue they see with their professions - many Accountants and many Engineers they know have difficulty communicating clearly with clients and coworkers. I really think there should be more of an emphasis placed on business writing across the nation for those majors.

So it doesn't really surprise me that Derick doesn't always communicate well, despite having earned a college degree. Some people have a tougher time with it than others do. I would have hoped he could have picked up a few pointers by now since he plans on being in the public eye - but I suppose it just means more snark material for us. :pb_lol:

51 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

My husband is an Accountant and my grandpa is an Engineer. They both agree that communication is the biggest issue they see with their professions - many Accountants and many Engineers they know have difficulty communicating clearly with clients and coworkers. I really think there should be more of an emphasis placed on business writing across the nation for those majors.

So it doesn't really surprise me that Derick doesn't always communicate well, despite having earned a college degree. Some people have a tougher time with it than others do. I would have hoped he could have picked up a few pointers by now since he plans on being in the public eye - but I suppose it just means more snark material for us. :pb_lol:

My hubs is a finance and business genuis- if has to do with construction, numbers, logic, marketing- he is your man. If has to to send an email or text, watch out. Interestingly enough, he is also an excellent public speaker and enjoys that role.

8 hours ago, season of life said:

News to me, since I don't believe everything in the Quran came directly from God. I also doubt almost all Christian groups hold onto that idea since there is literally a site that discusses families/churches that think a woman is doomed if she cuts her long hair.

Interesting, where do you think the Quran came from if it wasn't given from God to Muhammed via Gabriel? I didn't say "all Muslims" because I guessed there are probably some more liberal Muslims out there who don't believe that, but I have always understood that the origin of the Quran is a fairly basic tenet of Islam that is shared by almost all Muslim groups. You might not believe that, but that is the typical Muslim view, is it not?

I'm not sure what you're saying about Christian groups. There are definitely some weirdos like the KJV-only people who come close to the view that every single word literally came directly from God, but they're in the minority even among fundamentalists. Obviously that doesn't mean that fundamentalists don't still take the Bible very seriously. They believe that the Bible was inspired by God and written down by men, which isn't quite the same as the idea that a text was dictated directly from an angel.

Like I said, there are still plenty of fundamentalists who take every word seriously, I'm not saying they don't exist, but in general the Christian view of the origins of their scripture leaves a lot of room for reinterpretation and the vast majority of Christians will say that, at the very least, it's possible that there are scribal errors and mistranslations and such. This is different from the Quran where the typical Muslim view is that when you're reading it in Arabic you're reading the actual text that was given to Muhammad.

I'm not trying to defend Christians here at all, I'm just saying that there's a significant difference in the Christian and Muslim beliefs in how their scriptures were acquired.

(This discussion reminds me of last year when I was in a Christian theology class where the students started discussing the Quran. I suggested we give Muslims the benefit of the doubt in thinking that they might ignore the ugly parts of their scripture as much as we ignore the ugly parts of ours. I don't think my comment was appreciated. :pb_lol:)

My Dad was an engineer.

He is incredibly intelligent but does not hold any decorum when it comes to conversation.

On the other hand, he's still the smartest man I know, who I go to for SERIOUS BUSINESS advice and can woo any crowd.

We all have different strengths. Which is good! Duggars, take note, EVERYONE is DIFFERENT... 

16 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

My Dad was an engineer.

He is incredibly intelligent but does not hold any decorum when it comes to conversation.

On the other hand, he's still the smartest man I know, who I go to for SERIOUS BUSINESS advice and can woo any crowd.

We all have different strengths. Which is good! Duggars, take note, EVERYONE is DIFFERENT... 

And that's what makes the world operate- different people having different skill sets. Of course with the Duggars, skill sets are somehow viewed as evil.

Frankly, I think all the weirdness with the Duggars in terms of education, skills, work, work ethic is seeded in JB's strong jealousy and fear that his kids will be better skilled, smarter, more educated, bigger go getters than himself. He does not want them to be successful. He wants the control and power. He wants them dependent because if they were independent, they might become more successful than the Boob. The Boob actually has low self esteem. This is far beyond being Fundies.

JB reminds me of Donald Trump. he's been grooming all the kids all these years to serve in his empire butwill only pay them minimum wage.

This is the Jill, Der,Izzy thread, right? Just wanted to point out that we should be on the look-out for their imminent return.  I'm sure it will be filmed Or, they'll do what Josh did & just slip in the back door. NAAAAHHH! We're talking about Jilder here- It will be an event .:my_biggrin:

Took a look at their website and at their anniversary letters to each other. Derick of course mentioned Jill's live for Jesus, but also praised her for being creative, open-minded (huh?!), and for having a fun-loving personality. 

Jill's was more interesting to me:

image.png

This is the first time I've seen any indication on how long they knew each other prior to engagement. They married in June and were engaged in March. That means they started courting around November of 2013 (I'm guessing after Erin Paine's wedding) and started talking sometime in August of that year. Which is a grand total of ten months. 

(And can I just take a moment to point out she barely mentioned God in her's like she usually does. Thankfully. It gets old reading the same thing constantly. :pb_lol:)

I also took a look at her Father's Day letters. She mentions God way more, of course, but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the only focus - she mentioned a lot of different more personal qualities of both her father and Derick that she admires and appreciates. The one to her dad was tough to get through - partly because of all the God stuff and partly because her dad is one of the shittiest dads ever - but the one to Derick was easier because I feel like age was being honest when she mentioned what she admires about him. Like how she loves seeing Derick playing football with Israel or how gets all giggly when Derick tickles him before bed (or that Izzy's favorite snack are bananas.)

The letters aren't the greatest, but I do think it's a slight improvement over past posts they've made. Which, you know, isn't really saying much. But still.

I am confused as to whether they are coming home for a visit or for good. I did get the impression they were going to be in ScarySintralMerica semi-permanently as godly missionaries . But I could be wrong as I don't always read carefully. 

I cringed at "Wifey 4 Lifey". Reminds me of a habit we had lots of years ago when I was a teenager. We would sign letters with HDGGGDL (short for "love you very very very much" and things liked that). 

3 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I am confused as to whether they are coming home for a visit or for good. I did get the impression they were going to be in ScarySintralMerica semi-permanently as godly missionaries . But I could be wrong as I don't always read carefully. 

They said they were going to give it at least a year, and that year was up this month. A return could be in their future, especially if they want to add to their quiver safely.

@theinvisiblegirl Thanks. I think also that Zika really could have changed things. We shall see. I'm sure it will all be filmed....and revealed also on Instagram. And also, Pickles will know, ha ha

9 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

I cringed at "Wifey 4 Lifey". Reminds me of a habit we had lots of years ago when I was a teenager. We would sign letters with HDGGGDL (short for "love you very very very much" and things liked that). 

You mentioning teenage girls reminded me that my husband calls handwriting like Jill's script "horse girl" writing.  It's like the writing of an eighth grade girl who loves horses or drawing horses and it's full of big loopy writing and circles for periods (aka full stops.)  Does every girl go through a circle period stage only to outgrow it?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived