IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 16

samurai_sarah

7 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

@laPapessaGiovanna

Your father's cousin has a business and I imagine that has resulted in more of his info online. I could give you my name right now and you wouldn't find much cause I'm not a big presence online. I've googled myself a few times and all my results are pushed down by a dentist who shares my name.  

I hope this explains (USA) people's worries a bit better :)

Thank you. Honestly I can understand only that yours is a very different system and that actual comparisons aren't possible or are at least very complicated to make. 

12 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

The tax forms are difficult to invalidate and that's assuming you find out it was stolen before it gets used. 

I don't know what a tax form is. Our taxation system must be as different from yours as the moon from the sun (this not even considering that we pay an average of 44% of taxes straight out of our wages and the % of our income devolved in taxes reaches the75% if you add all the taxes we pay indirectly when we buy things, pay for sevices, fuel, heating etc; I doubt USA citizens would accept figures remotely like these).

21 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Social security numbers are meant to follow you through life - you can change your name more easily than your SS#.

Ours too but it just isn't a problem because you can't do much (if anything) with someone else's code alone.

25 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Drivers license can be invalidated, but that doesn't affect the information listed on the card.

What sort of info? On ours it's only stated that citizen firstname lastname born in place and date can drive a car, there's also the date of when you passed your examination and what sort of vehicle you can drive. Not particularly useful things. 

Anyway thank you all for taking the trouble to explain things.  I may not have understood very well but I appreciate your efforts :content:

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Thank you. Honestly I can understand only that yours is a very different system and that actual comparisons aren't possible or are at least very complicated to make. 

Anyway thank you all for taking the trouble to explain things.  I may not have understood very well but I appreciate your efforts :content:

I'm not sure how well we understand ourselves! 

6 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Just some USA examples of possible identity theft:

Stolen tax form can be used to file for a tax refund.

Stolen Social Security card could be used to open bank accounts or get credit cards. 

Stolen drivers license could be used to create fake business or residential accounts (utilities).

Are all these likely every time someone loses an ID? No, but they are possibilities and that creates fear and anxiety for people.

Reading all of that, it seems like a proper national identity card would make things much more secure and help prevent many cases of identity theft, so I am not sure I understand why many here seem to expect the opposite. :lost:

My dad had his identity stolen. Not through someone stealing a document, but from some hacker on PayPal after we bought something for someone's birthday on eBay. This was years ago, when I was about 11 or 12, and the person used his credit card number to buy a bunch of tennis balls or something so ridiculous. Still, it was a bitch for him to have dealt with, and it took about 6 months, maybe a year, before it was all resolved.

7 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I'm not sure how well we understand ourselves! 

This I understand,  it's a well known sensation here :pb_lol:

My phone number was stolen, back in the day when you used to use calling cards to charge calls to your home phone when traveling.  The hotel I was staying did not have a secure PBX system and the thieves got my calling card number.  By the time I got home from my trip (6 days in San Diego) I had a $1200 phone bill.  The phone company had me making calls from 3 or 4 different countries at the same time.  

Even with a police report, I could not get the charges off my bill or off my credit.   

My phone was cancelled because I could not pay the bill.  

Some people suck.. :smiley-signs131:

:kitty:

10 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I don't know what a tax form is. Our taxation system must be as different from yours as the moon from the sun

What sort of info? On ours it's only stated that citizen firstname lastname born in place and date can drive a car, there's also the date of when you passed your examination and what sort of vehicle you can drive. Not particularly useful things. 

We pay taxes out of our pay checks throughout the year and then in April we receive a form from our employers (or from the government if you are retired) which lists how much we made and how much we paid in taxes to both the federal and state governments. We use that form to find out if we have over or under paid on our taxes. Our tax code is incredibly complex so many people pay someone or they use special software to figure it out. If someone stole that form they could claim to have overpaid on taxes and receive money back.

Most drivers licenses I have seen in the states include full name, birthday, address and what classifications it covers (cars, large trucks, motorcycles, etc.). 

I know it's complicated and, having lived abroad for several years, seems crazy compared to some other countries. It's what we got for now and we do our best to work with it, but obviously I would like to see improvements made. There is just a lot of debate as to what those changes should be, so we wind up sticking with the status quo. 

12 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Really?  I've never heard this before?  Why would it be so hard to move back to CA?

Costs-

Housing (even rent).

Taxes

On 6/6/2016 at 0:01 PM, Four is Enough said:

Re: not honoring an open adoption agreement. 

I actually know adoptive parents who went to Chile twice for their children. The reason? They didn't want "birth parents showing up at their door." Pretty shitty IMO. While dealing with (three different) birth families can be messy and emotional, I HOPE it works out for the best for all my kids.

I read an article in a magazine where a woman was talking about how she agreed to an open adoption but then once the adoption was finalized she cut off contact with the birth mother. She said that having the birth mother around was a constant reminder that she wasn't the one who gave birth to her child and that she felt resentment towards the birth mother because of it. And the woman seemed to think her feelings/actions were totally justified. I remember feeling infuriated while reading that article. The adoptive mother was treating the birth mother like an object who exists for the sole purpose of providing her with a child. It was sickening. Not to mention, that seems like a really unhealthy atmosphere to raise a child in. I can only imagine how badly that woman is going to react if her child one days wants to search for his birth mother, or talk about her, or even acknowledge in some way that she exists.

I think there are some people who don't deal with their feelings surrounding infertility enough before adopting. I think there are good reasons to not let a birth mother be in a child's life, but "I don't want to have to acknowledge she exists" is not one of them. 

On 6/8/2016 at 0:46 PM, Four is Enough said:

I believe birth certificates came to be so "standardized" and "regulated" in the US in response to people claiming to be things they were not: certain age to be able to join the armed forces during times of war comes to mind.

My sister was doing some research about our ancestors and she learned that our Grandfather lied about his age on both his marriage license and when he enlisted in the army. 

16 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Back on the adoption topic for a second - someone unthread mentioned that social media might be a good way for adoptees to find birth parents. But how does that work? Would someone just post to their friends (only their own info obviously, not pulling a Jill) and hope it goes viral? Or is it like FB groups you can join? I'm asking because this is actually something I'm involved in right now and I have pretty much 0 social media presence. I tried the GoogleGod, but I got a bit intimidated. Thanks to anyone who might know!

And feel free to message me since I know this is a very personal process :)

I have seen a lot of posts on facebook that are pictures of adoptees holding up posterboards with as much birth information as they know-- birthdate, location, hospital name, their birth name, and so on-- asking people in that area to share the picture so that they can find members of their birth families. Most of them are people born during the "baby scoop era" (read: prior to Roe v. Wade, when millions of young, single mothers were coerced into surrendering their children) who have closed adoptions and can't get a court order to access their records (assuming they exist). 

14 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

My sister was doing some research about our ancestors and she learned that our Grandfather lied about his age on both his marriage license and when he enlisted in the army. 

my grandmother is a different age on every census that i've found...she lied about her age to get married when she was 14 in 1912. and it wasn't because she was pregnant, i'd love to know why she got married that young though

13 hours ago, JesusCampSongs said:

I have seen a lot of posts on facebook that are pictures of adoptees holding up posterboards with as much birth information as they know-- birthdate, location, hospital name, their birth name, and so on-- asking people in that area to share the picture so that they can find members of their birth families. Most of them are people born during the "baby scoop era" (read: prior to Roe v. Wade, when millions of young, single mothers were coerced into surrendering their children) who have closed adoptions and can't get a court order to access their records (assuming they exist). 

There are adoptee groups on FB that can help you search; also websites dedicated to matching seekers. Some states keep registries and if you know or can guess the agency involved some of them will run interference (but for $$$). Also there are "search Angels" (you can Google them) who are trained to find people

and provide their services for free. Good luck

On 6/10/2016 at 6:18 AM, MatthewDuggar said:

I'm not an identity theft expert, but it seems that the majority of cases I hear about on the news (in the US) have happened when people are scammed into giving out credit card, social security and drivers license numbers to people posing as some sort of authority on the phone or computer.  The elderly are a huge target.  Or, that information gets skimmed from kiosks or store card readers.  

The fact that we don't have a residential registration of sorts can cause issues in other ways.  I worked at the "Happiest Place On Earth" for a brief period and in order to get discounted "Florida Resident" tickets, you simply had to have a valid Florida Drivers license.  Of course there are plenty of people that either don't drive, or perhaps live in another state for part of the year.  Then they have to supply, mortgage papers, utility bills or mail with a Florida address at least 2 months old.  Even this would cause issues at times.  I personally can't imagine living in a place and not having any of this information, but it happens.

When we moved from FL to AR the DMV in AR never clipped or retained our FL license. We still have them, have thought of using them to get theme park discounts but I'm too honest and can't do it.

My hubby's mom stole his identity, used his social security number to open a credit card that she later defaulted on. Then one year she tried to claim him as a student dependent on her taxes when he wasn't. We had to fight both issues for MONTHS. There were a lot of issues between them for awhile and when she asked for my son's social security number to start a college fund for him, I refused to give it to het.

8 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

When we moved from FL to AR the DMV in AR never clipped or retained our FL license. We still have them, have thought of using them to get theme park discounts but I'm too honest and can't do it.

Shoot.  I would!  I mean, I live here so its a moot point, but it's SO expensive to get in even for a resident, I'd take advantage.

On 6/11/2016 at 6:51 AM, MayMay1123 said:

my grandmother is a different age on every census that i've found...she lied about her age to get married when she was 14 in 1912. and it wasn't because she was pregnant, i'd love to know why she got married that young though

My own grandmother got married at 14 in 1948 or so, and wasn't even pregnant. She had my dad about a year and a half later. I'm not sure why they wanted to do that (she and my grandfather have both passed away, so I can't ask them).

I asked one aunt why they got married so young (they had to get special permission from the parents), and she just said that they would have eloped anyway, so the parents consented. Apparently, they were really into each other. My grandfather was about 5 years older than she was, and they grew up together. Apparently when she was a little girl she would ride her tricycle down to the bus stop and wait for my Papa to come home from HS on the bus. :pb_surprised:

She always felt like she had something to prove, and was really obsessive about keeping her kids and house clean because his parents apparently doubted her abilities as a wife and referred to her many times early on as "that chippie our son married."

They raised 4 kids and were together until they both passed away. When she passed away (fairly young--she was only like 66), my Papa was inconsolable and heartbroken,and he followed her about 3 years later.

I was a federal employee and my information was stolen in the data breach a couple of years ago. Somewhere out there is every identifier about me: full name, birth date, and social security number. They have everything about my life since I was 18 because my job included a security clearance and a complicated background check.  Plus they even have my fingerprints.

9 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

I was a federal employee and my information was stolen in the data breach a couple of years ago. Somewhere out there is every identifier about me: full name, birth date, and social security number. They have everything about my life since I was 18 because my job included a security clearance and a complicated background check.  Plus they even have my fingerprints.

BF and I got caught up in the same data breach, I have a CWP, so they got most of my personal info.  BF is in your shoes, TS clearance, they got his finger prints and all.  Just waiting for the inevitable issues.

:kitty:

Whaaaat? Why did he bother replying. It was a week old tweet. It won't be long before The Inquistor or Hollywood Gossip, or one of those sites write an article now. 

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Whaaaat? Why did he bother replying. It was a week old tweet. It won't be long before The Inquistor or Hollywood Gossip, or one of those sites write an article now. 

He probably replied to drum up the interest!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived