IGNORED

Counting On- Part 10: Counting out in Central America!

samurai_sarah

5 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Just wanted to add my 2 cents

I fit almost every stereotype for spain. I'm loud as hell, I go out until dawn, drink and curse like a sailor, and of course i'm lazy as fuck :pb_lol:

I didn't know that was the stereotypical Spainard.  Sounds like my kinda place :giggle:

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, gustava said:

I didn't know that was the stereotypical Spainard.  Sounds like my kinda place :giggle:

We're practically italians without pasta :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, Jana'sHairScrunchie said:

I'm from Ohio and growing up, I always heard the jokes and stereotypes about how it's so boring and it's just a state you drive trough to get somewhere better (they must not have been referring to west to Indiana). And then there's the Cleveland jokes. People I have met seem to think we are all very boring and love to make casseroles, which is probably a Midwest generalization but are we even technically a Midwestern state? 

Cleveland born & bred. I've heard all of the jokes. Drew Carey's show reinforced our image to the rest of the world, but having left for a while, I'm glad I came home.

Just sayin' there's a reason they call them "Balti-MORONS"..... I live in Baltimore but am not from Baltimore.. The stereotypes exist.

12 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Quote (my bold):

"Potatoes remain the top vegetable crop in the United States. They are grown commercially in 30 states, but Idaho grows more potatoes than any other state, followed by Washington. Wisconsin, Colorado and North Dakota are also leading producers of potatoes."   (From here.)

Sorry. Arkansas may have an area called Spudland, but for actual potato production Arkansas doesn't even make the top 5. No one is trying to steal your identity. :my_biggrin:

Some confusion there sorry. Not in Arkansas. 

Robertson, NSW, Australia - potato capital of the world (at least, in our minds) 

I am Canadian but I have American cousins. One cousin who was raised primarily in New York State moved to Ohio 20 years ago when she married. She just loves it! Her oldest son has just graduated from Ohio State and was in the marching band.I live in Ontario, Canada and  I would not say it's a thrill a minute either but it suits me!         

3 hours ago, Miggy said:

Some confusion there sorry. Not in Arkansas. 

Robertson, NSW, Australia - potato capital of the world (at least, in our minds) 

:pb_lol: :pb_lol: My mistake! I'm afraid I had never heard of the potato capital in NSW before. I always learn new things on FJ!

At least you guys don't have to deal with Caribbean stereotypes. Apparently we're all Rastafarians who live in beach huts and say "yeah mon".

No, weed is not legal. Yes, we have universities, cities, 4G, banks, industries other than tourism.  Literally no Jamaican says  "mon" instead of man. 

No I do not ride dolphins to school. No there are no poisonous snakes and insects in the jungle (we don't even have jungles...or poisonous snakes). 

No the English speaking Caribbean does not consist of Jamaica. Once I was talking about Barbados and somebody said "What part of Jamaica is that?". 

We do have some fantastic beaches and food though. Not gonna lie. 

18 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

:pb_lol: :pb_lol: My mistake! I'm afraid I had never heard of the potato capital in NSW before. I always learn new things on FJ!

Add this to your bucket list. Life isn't complete until you've been to the Big Potato. (Yes, I have heard every joke already. The most common comparison is to dog mess.)

image.jpeg

@Miggy--Ah, but can the Robertson Big Potato visit other places?

Spoiler

image.jpg

Or can it drop off a tallish building on New Year's Eve?

Spoiler

image.jpg

Okay, I think that's all I've got. :my_biggrin::my_biggrin:

I'm from southwestern Connecticut. No, I don't own a polo shirt and I'm not a member of a country club. My hair isn't blonde, I can't play lacrosse for shit, and I can't sail to save my life. My family is well-off, but lord knows we didn't fit in with the stereotypical Connecticut crowd.

Man, I love this stereotype discussion! 

As a Canadian going to university in the States...I feel like most days I have it pretty easy when it comes to stereotypes compared to many other folks (Canadians in Los Angeles seem to mostly get blamed for being too nice and apologizing too much) but I'm kind of over the "say aboot" thing because nobody I have ever met talks like that....except for Americans when imitating a Canadian. Luckily I haven't gotten one of those absolutely hilarious people in a while now so it's ok. :)

I'm from southwestern Connecticut. No, I don't own a polo shirt and I'm not a member of a country club. My hair isn't blonde, I can't play lacrosse for shit, and I can't sail to save my life. My family is well-off, but lord knows we didn't fit in with the stereotypical Connecticut crowd.

I had no idea those were Connecticut stereotypes. I love this topic. It makes me want to be a travel writer like Will Ferguson or Bill Bryson.

16 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I fit almost every stereotype for spain. I'm loud as hell, I go out until dawn, drink and curse like a sailor, and of course i'm lazy as fuck :pb_lol:

I'm gonna be baaaad, are you a southern? :irony:

I fit Catalan sterotype: I try to save money, I'm not good at dancing/parties, work is an important part of my life. Yeah, boring as hell.

But the truth is I live and work with lots of people from Spain and other countries, and stereotypes fail a lot. I know very serious Cubans and very outgoing Germans, for example.

Oh, I want to chime in with sterotypes! (Although someone said that we're so small that we don't have them...)

No, we don't have polar bears in the streets. Oslo is not in Sweden. No, we're not all blond and tall and pretty. No, we're not communists. Oh, you know someone from Norway, no, that doesn't mean that I know him (we are 5 million people) And yes, we have escalators! 

18 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I went to a wedding in Spain once, and the reception lasted all night, with a catered breakfast in the morning. 

Y'all are the ultimate partiers. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 1:37 PM, nst said:

my mother is European born but now Canadian - her  sisters and brothers in Europe cal her an American 

it makes me nuts 

But... Canadian is American.  North America isn't only the United States. 

22 hours ago, Mercer said:

"Masshole" is generally part of the same stereotype as the driving thing - I've never heard it used for any purpose other than driving. If someone is just being a jerk in general, they're simply a jerk. Masshole mainly happens behind the wheel, at least as I've ever heard it.

In my experience (I lived in Massachusetts for four years) drivers there aren't necessarily bad, but there is definitely a more aggressive driving style than you will find in most other parts of the country. This is particularly the case in and near Boston, and less so the further you get from the city.

At one point while I was living there, I had to drive to downtown Manhattan, which I was very nervous about... until I actually tried it and realized it was easier than the driving I was used to back in the Boston area, partly because the grid layout is a lot simpler to navigate, but also because the drivers weren't quite so eager to cut me off or try to barge ahead.

Sorry - but no, Masshole is not just about driving.  It's about tourists in general who come north and expect to be treated like royalty.  It's pretty ubiquitous.

It's often *said* while driving because the license plate gives the domicile away (and because the driving is horrendous.)  But it is very much a broad-brush appellation used frequently around these parts.

8 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

This seems like a stereotypical definition of anyone from any affluent suburb area.

43 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

Oh, I want to chime in with sterotypes! (Although someone said that we're so small that we don't have them...)

No, we don't have polar bears in the streets. Oslo is not in Sweden. No, we're not all blond and tall and pretty. No, we're not communists. Oh, you know someone from Norway, no, that doesn't mean that I know him (we are 5 million people) And yes, we have escalators! 

Norway - I thought you all wore helmets with horns? 

No, seriously, the stereotype here is that Norwegians are cold climate Australians. Happy people. Not rich but content with what you have. Laid back attitude to life. Work enough to pay for the fun stuff rather than working to be rich. Slightly cheeky attitude to other countries around you - sort of the annoying little sibling relationship. You spend all your time lounging in saunas or killing each other playing ice hockey. (Both very cool.) And yes, you are all tall, blonde and a have sexy accent. 

I've met quite a few Norwegians and the only thing I've found that differs from the stereotype is that you aren't all blonde.

I may have to cry if you tell me this isn't true. I love stereotype Norway. 

24 minutes ago, anotherone said:

But... Canadian is American.  North America isn't only the United States. 

it's more my aunts and uncles

13 minutes ago, Miggy said:

Norway - I thought you all wore helmets with horns? 

No, seriously, the stereotype here is that Norwegians are cold climate Australians. Happy people. Not rich but content with what you have. Laid back attitude to life. Work enough to pay for the fun stuff rather than working to be rich. Slightly cheeky attitude to other countries around you - sort of the annoying little sibling relationship. You spend all your time lounging in saunas or killing each other playing ice hockey. (Both very cool.) And yes, you are all tall, blonde and a have sexy accent. 

I've met quite a few Norwegians and the only thing I've found that differs from the stereotype is that you aren't all blonde.

I may have to cry if you tell me this isn't true. I love stereotype Norway. 

Sorry! Totally forgot about the helmets with horns! Yes, I wear it everyday. Fun fact: Norwegians, and Scandinavian can't pronounce viking. We say wiking (hence my username) It's because the sound for v and w is the same here, but it sounds really silly. 

We do have a sibling rivalry with the other countries, especially Sweden. When it comes to sports, music, oh we hate them. But not really, because they have cheap candy and bacon.

Ooooh, ice hockey and sauna, that's more Finland! We ski, actually I was born with skies on! (there is photographic evidence)

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I'm gonna be baaaad, are you a southern? :irony:

I am. Not a bit ashamed to be a disgrace to my region :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, lascuba said:

I went to a wedding in Spain once, and the reception lasted all night, with a catered breakfast in the morning. 

Y'all are the ultimate partiers. 

That's awesome. All my cousin got us in the morning after his wedding before we went to sleep was some shitty candy :pb_lol:

17 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

Snip.

Ooooh, ice hockey and sauna, that's more Finland! We ski, actually I was born with skies on! (there is photographic evidence)

Doesn't everyone in Finland drive rally cars? I thought they were all born behind the wheel. 

48 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Sorry - but no, Masshole is not just about driving.  It's about tourists in general who come north and expect to be treated like royalty.  It's pretty ubiquitous.

Have to say I kind of agree with this.  I try not to judge any of the tourists...but many of the ones from Mass are at the top of the obnoxious list.  Followed closely by Manhattan (and the outskirts of) and Conn.  Some Jersey folks have the attitude also.

Why is it that being on vacation tends to bring out the worst in people?  Heck, you're not home or working and hopefully doing fun stuff on your own schedule--lighten up!  LOL

2 minutes ago, xlurker said:

Have to say I kind of agree with this.  I try not to judge any of the tourists...but many of the ones from Mass are at the top of the obnoxious list.  Followed closely by Manhattan (and the outskirts of) and Conn.  Some Jersey folks have the attitude also.

Why is it that being on vacation tends to bring out the worst in people?  Heck, you're not home or working and hopefully doing fun stuff on your own schedule--lighten up!  LOL

After I wrote this, I almost added that I felt similarly about Texans eons ago when I was growing up in northern New Mexico.  It was a really frustrating experience to have to deal with the attitudes. :( 

• Destiny locked and unpinned this topic

Archived