IGNORED

Counting On- Part 10: Counting out in Central America!

samurai_sarah

58 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Sorry - but no, Masshole is not just about driving.  It's about tourists in general who come north and expect to be treated like royalty.  It's pretty ubiquitous.

It's often *said* while driving because the license plate gives the domicile away (and because the driving is horrendous.)  But it is very much a broad-brush appellation used frequently around these parts.

I didn't realize that. North as in like... Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont?

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Yep.

I could probably find a newspaper article or two where the comments are full of the term - and it's definitely not just about driving.

Just now, Mercer said:

As well as any place in NY north/northwest of Albany

Okay, thanks! I believe you, I just wasn't aware. :)

I live in Upstate NY but I'm probably too west and not enough north to have heard it.

Jersey folks can be pretty rough too--but as I am fluid in Jersey-speak (grew up there) my inner Jersey Girl is always willing to displace the Hospitality Princess if the situation warrents it ;)

Oh, and as far as NJ stereotypes go--never heard anyone say "Joisey" but I will say that they are very aggressive drivers, and the speed limit is (mostly) only a suggestion.  And all those jug-handles (turn right to go left) and traffic circles!   I have no trouble driving amongst them :)

1 hour ago, lascuba said:

I went to a wedding in Spain once, and the reception lasted all night, with a catered breakfast in the morning. 

Y'all are the ultimate partiers. 

I've never been in a wedding like that. At least in Catalonia (Barcelona) an all-night-wedding is not usual. Yes weddings can last for hours, but serving breakfast is not usual.

Spain is in fact very diverse and north and sourh are dufferent, and east and west and center/coast. We were a lot of kingdoms in the past and I suppose it makes differences.

20 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Just wanted to add my 2 cents

I fit almost every stereotype for spain. I'm loud as hell, I go out until dawn, drink and curse like a sailor, and of course i'm lazy as fuck :pb_lol:

I've been trying to catch up on posts around here, and you have been cracking me up! :pb_lol:

51 minutes ago, xlurker said:

Jersey folks can be pretty rough too--but as I am fluid in Jersey-speak (grew up there) my inner Jersey Girl is always willing to displace the Hospitality Princess if the situation warrents it ;)

Oh, and as far as NJ stereotypes go--never heard anyone say "Joisey" but I will say that they are very aggressive drivers, and the speed limit is (mostly) only a suggestion.  And all those jug-handles (turn right to go left) and traffic circles!   I have no trouble driving amongst them :)

Living here in Jersey for the past two years in Princeton Jct.   I have had a lot of fun when I hear someone, like a waitress use the word "yous".  I then asked them to say "hey, yous got some huge dogs in the car.   Maybe it's just me but it makes me smile.

Speaking of Masshole and names for bad drivers, I have my own nickname for reckless speeding South Dakotans. South Dick-cooters.  Ya'll need to SLOOOOOOW down. 

Hmm, my Norway/Sweden stereotype is lots of coffee, fish, snow, and fjords. No Viking hats though.

I'm black (and West Indian, even worse) but I can't throw my ass in a circle to save my life. Honestly, I don't have much to shake in the first place. I'm not completely devoid of rhythm but I feel like everybody is always waiting for me to do something spectacular. 

I wish I had more rhythm and stronger glutes. 

it makes me a little sad.

7 hours ago, Miggy said:

Doesn't everyone in Finland drive rally cars? I thought they were all born behind the wheel. 

I don't know... For me Finland is all about lakes and Moomin trolls. And ski jumping? 

21 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm from southwestern Connecticut. No, I don't own a polo shirt and I'm not a member of a country club. My hair isn't blonde, I can't play lacrosse for shit, and I can't sail to save my life. My family is well-off, but lord knows we didn't fit in with the stereotypical Connecticut crowd.

But have you been to Stars Hollow?

Sorry... That's the only thing I ever think of when I think of Connecticut. My brother-in-law lives in Connecticut and I really have to fight the urge to ask him how far it is to Stars Hollow because I am pathetically GG obsessed. 

7 hours ago, Jana'sHairScrunchie said:

I am pathetically GG obsessed. 

Hello sister friend!  I, too, love the girls!

Sorry to interrupt the Giant 4th o'July Parade of Stereotypes.

Was at several gatherings this weekend with both family & friends who work for Discovery Communications [parent company of TLC and many other "reality" networks].

Discovery has just had another BIG round of layoffs, designed to reduce the US workforce by 10%. There will be similar layoffs in their International offices.

Someone mentioned that one of their problems is that they simply "have no hit shows right now."  Others joked about what it would take to create a new hit reality shows. Someone said "what about having 20 kids?" The Discovery employees just rolled their eyes in disgust.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Sorry to interrupt the Giant 4th o'July Parade of Stereotypes.

Was at several gatherings this weekend with both family & friends who work for Discovery Communications [parent company of TLC and many other "reality" networks].

Discovery has just had another BIG round of layoffs, designed to reduce the US workforce by 10%. There will be similar layoffs in their International offices.

Someone mentioned that one of their problems is that they simply "have no hit shows right now."  Others joked about what it would take to create a new hit reality shows. Someone said "what about having 20 kids?" The Discovery employees just rolled their eyes in disgust.

Maybe the Discovery network people could consider showing the kinds of shows they started out with-- you know, documentaries and genuinely educational stuff.  

They could start with an examination of Cults in America.  

On 7/4/2016 at 2:22 AM, MakeItSo said:

Man, I love this stereotype discussion! 

As a Canadian going to university in the States...I feel like most days I have it pretty easy when it comes to stereotypes compared to many other folks (Canadians in Los Angeles seem to mostly get blamed for being too nice and apologizing too much) but I'm kind of over the "say aboot" thing because nobody I have ever met talks like that....except for Americans when imitating a Canadian. Luckily I haven't gotten one of those absolutely hilarious people in a while now so it's ok. :)

I had no idea those were Connecticut stereotypes. I love this topic. It makes me want to be a travel writer like Will Ferguson or Bill Bryson.

Our friend from Nova Scotia has been living with us the past 6 months and he definitely displays some of those canadian stereotypes. He does apologize a lot more than necessary and he definitely says "aboot". However, we live in Wisconsin so our "abouts" are not too off from "aboot" and he can blend in pretty well. I actually used to work in a call center and people from the south would often ask if I was located in Canada. My wisconsin comes out whenever there are long "O's". 

7 hours ago, xlurker said:

Hello sister friend!  I, too, love the girls!

A fellow Gilly! Can't wait until the revival. Maybe if there are enough interested members, we can start a discussion about that in the appropriate forum when it arrives. I've seen talk of the show here and there in different threads, it makes me happy since I don't have many people to chat about it with IRL. 

3 minutes ago, Jana'sHairScrunchie said:

A fellow Gilly! Can't wait until the revival. Maybe if there are enough interested members, we can start a discussion about that in the appropriate forum when it arrives. I've seen talk of the show here and there in different threads, it makes me happy since I don't have many people to chat about it with IRL. 

count me in 

point me where 

i am all over it 

@nst Wouldn't you know it, there already is a thread. If you search Gilmore Girls, it's the first thing that pops up. I'd link to it but am not sure how. See you there! :tw_blush:

On 7/4/2016 at 8:10 AM, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Sorry - but no, Masshole is not just about driving.  It's about tourists in general who come north and expect to be treated like royalty.  It's pretty ubiquitous.

It's often *said* while driving because the license plate gives the domicile away (and because the driving is horrendous.)  But it is very much a broad-brush appellation used frequently around these parts.

We get this in my neck of the woods...with certain people come down from up north to go shopping. 

5 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

Our friend from Nova Scotia has been living with us the past 6 months and he definitely displays some of those canadian stereotypes. He does apologize a lot more than necessary and he definitely says "aboot". However, we live in Wisconsin so our "abouts" are not too off from "aboot" and he can blend in pretty well. I actually used to work in a call center and people from the south would often ask if I was located in Canada. My wisconsin comes out whenever there are long "O's". 

I know what you mean about the long o's haha. I don't remember the last time I talked with anyone from Nova Scotia so I'll take your word for it....as for myself, I don't say aboot. It's more of "aboat"...like "a boat"? I don't know. About being too nice...my buddies always crack up when someone else bumps into me but then I'm the one who apologizes * shrug *, if you haven't guessed it...the second they realized I do that they started bumping into me on purpose one day until I realized what was happening, which wasn't until they almost full on tackled me haha. We've talked about being from a different place originally from where we live now here on freejinger and that combined with this conversation makes me realize that my buddies have a lot of fun at my Canadian expense :P it's all good though. They do some weird American things I like to point out, too :D. I actually really love nationality humour (for lack of a better word) as long as it's in good fun and no one turns unnecessarily racist or xenophobic on each other but obviously among good friends it's (should be) always a good time :)

On 7/3/2016 at 1:00 PM, Audrey2 said:

Not all residents of Portland fit all of the stereotypes of Portlandia, either.

Waaaaaiiiit just a god damn minute. You mean to tell me that you DON'T want to put a bird on it?

Born and raised just outside Chicago (Illinois), and us Windy City people are absolutely fantastic at managing political races.  Very civic-minded people, indeed: we've got people who died 20 years back and they STILL turn out every election to vote!

1 hour ago, MakeItSo said:

It's more of "aboat"...like "a boat"? 

Nova Scotian here.  I definitely agree with that rather than ' a boot.'

• Destiny locked and unpinned this topic

Archived