IGNORED

Counting On- Part 10: Counting out in Central America!

samurai_sarah

On 6/20/2016 at 6:48 PM, theinvisiblegirl said:

If they did take them out of the title, it's probably because they're so damn boring!

I'm wondering if they took the names out of the title because they are planning on showing more of the rest of the family. They opened the door by making the show "only about the married girls" (which didn't turn out to be true) and no josh/j&m whatsoever. But now they are easing the public into it being the old show again, with ALL the family, by degrees. Taking out the names is just the next step....

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I'm wondering if they took the names out of the title because they are planning on showing more of the rest of the family. They opened the door by making the show "only about the married girls" (which didn't turn out to be true) and no josh/j&m whatsoever. But now they are easing the public into it being the old show again, with ALL the family, by degrees. Taking out the names is just the next step....

I'm sure the step after that will be to ease Josh, Jim Bob and Michelle back in >.>

Unless Jinjer are eloping, it would be hard to have a season heavily focused on them, to not include the rest of the Duggars, particularly JB and M.

Whew! Finally caught up. Every time I try to post I get notified that there are eleventy people who have already posted ahead of me.

9 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I think they probably took the names off because they will be focusing hard on Jinger this season and it was just too much to say, Jill, Jessa & Jinger: Counting On. And maybe there will be more announcements from JD, Jana or Joe. 

But if there is a marriage, they will most certainly include JB & M. And we know that they had to be consulted before there could be a courtship or engagement so we will at least see them in those scenes.

12 minutes ago, Purrl said:

I think they probably took the names off because they will be focusing hard on Jinger this season and it was just too much to say, Jill, Jessa & Jinger: Counting On. And maybe there will be more announcements from JD, Jana or Joe. 

But if there is a marriage, they will most certainly include JB & M. And we know that they had to be consulted before there could be a courtship or engagement so we will at least see them in those scenes.

Have they taken the names off?  I think they should.

But the announcements I have seen are still referring to the show "Jill and Jessa Counting On."   For example, the    Inquistr article  and The Stir/Cafe Mom discussion both use the full title.  People Magazine did abbreviate the title to "Counting On," but they linked directly to their earlier news about the show which included the girls' names.  There seems to be no announcement that the show's name has been changed.  

Poor Jill. She wasn't featured a lot in comparison to Jessa and the others.

Be ready for multiple episodes focusing on Jinger, Jeremy, engagement and wedding shenanigans, repeated references to giving Jinger away, and JB sobbing his eyes out. I hope she sets loftier goals for herself and asks for a different wedding planner than Sierra.

I wonder if they will be filming/shooting some new PR/opening theme footage.  More Jumping for Jesus? Endless closed eye photos?   Hopefully they will come up with something different.

BinBob rapping the intro as they jump for Jesus, close their eyes as they side hug and watch the manly headships kick around some soccer balls.  That'd be different.

This new soccer guy will have a ready-made team to play with on Thanksgiving.

I wish only the best of happiness for Jinger.

15 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Have they taken the names off?  I think they should.

But the announcements I have seen are still referring to the show "Jill and Jessa Counting On."   For example, the    Inquistr article  and The Stir/Cafe Mom discussion both use the full title.  People Magazine did abbreviate the title to "Counting On," but they linked directly to their earlier news about the show which included the girls' names.  There seems to be no announcement that the show's name has been changed.  

Genuine question: Back in the days where it was 17kids, and then 18kids, and then finally 19kids, does anyone remember how they handled the name change then? Did they make an announcement or did they just change it and expect everyone to roll with it?

I agree it needed to be changed, since it is a show for all the older kids, they should have just called it Counting On as soon as they decided to make an older kids series out of the specials. 

17 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

Genuine question: Back in the days where it was 17kids, and then 18kids, and then finally 19kids, does anyone remember how they handled the name change then? Did they make an announcement or did they just change it and expect everyone to roll with it?

I agree it needed to be changed, since it is a show for all the older kids, they should have just called it Counting On as soon as they decided to make an older kids series out of the specials. 

I don't recall any major announcements about changes from 17 to 18 to 19 Kids and Counting. I think they just did it.

2 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I don't recall any major announcements about changes from 17 to 18 to 19 Kids and Counting. I think they just did it.

They just changed it and changed the intro.  Generally they waited until the next season if a kid was born mid season.

3 hours ago, lizzybee said:

It was just changed once the new pregnancy was announced. 

5 hours ago, lizzybee said:

The problem may be that without the names of at least some Duggars, the title "Counting On" may not mean anything to some viewers.  If it hadn't been for the way the scandals "soiled" the Duggar name and the 19kids brand, I bet they would have called it something like "The Duggars: Counting On" or "19 Kids Counting On." (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to know that one of these names or some variant were being proposed for the "old" show, when it became obvious even to Michelle that the Duggars could not expect more kids to be born.)

Anyway, calling it after the two married daughters was clearly because some ATI/Fundie thing (as interpreted by JB) made it not-ok to include the names of the unmarried girls.  But since the episodes don't really focus on Jessa and Jill but on Jessa and the Unmarried Older Duggar Kids, it would make sense to change the name.   I just haven't seen TLC or any news story using any name but the "Jill and Jessa," so why are we saying that the name has been changed?

Even if no announcement was made in the past, there must have been some moment when the network started using the new name.   I am asking where do we get the idea that the name has been changed?

There used to be an old saying

Your son is your son until he takes himself a wife

Your daughter is your daughter for all of her life

Meaning that (usually) the guy goes out and by default, is more with the wife's side of the family.

Except in Duggarland.   JebeusBob wants all his spawn to be there to worship him and the Egg Donor.   

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

So now we know.   They should have done so from the beginning, if they had to have a show. They never meant for it to be just about Jill and Jessa.

Of course not. It was about JB continuing to get and control the money, and all his spawn.

23 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Of course not. It was about JB continuing to get and control the money, and all his spawn.

I am not disagreeing about JB's greed, ego or desire to control everything, but I suspect that the decisions about the title and content of the new show came from TLC-- not JB.

JB was canny about marketing his family, and he has been good about deceiving himself and many of his kids that this a "mission." (I do believe that he is self-deluded enough to think this.) But it is the public's ongoing interest (whether to hump or snark) that keeps the shows going.

Ever since the scandal, TLC has been scrambling to package/repackage what it can to save the show.  The fact that there were actually viewers for the incredibly boring season 1 episodes has encouraged them to go for season 2.  They are starting it in the summer, though, not as part of their regular fall line up, which may or may not mean that they will use some of the Duggar shows to promote or lead into the new shows they are trying to build up to.  And sooner or later the advertisers will come back, especially if at some point they do a Repentant Josh episode. 

33 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I am not disagreeing about JB's greed, ego or desire to control everything, but I suspect that the decisions about the title and content of the new show came from TLC-- not JB.

JB was canny about marketing his family, and he has been good about deceiving himself and many of his kids that this a "mission." (I do believe that he is self-deluded enough to think this.) But it is the public's ongoing interest (whether to hump or snark) that keeps the shows going.

JB is slick, but I don't think he is perceptive enough to understand what the subtle changes in title could mean or how they could influence public perception (and indeed I don't think he truly understands public perception around his family) so I agree. Seems like a TLC choice.

Before the scandals revealed in 2015, I would have agreed about JB, but he's counseled himself right up- he now has people whispering in his ear, whether he likes it or not, I'm not sure.  

I don't think advertisers are coming back.  Most of them made a public statement about not advertising on any Duggar show. To go back on their word and advertise would be really stupid.  I don't think the public has forgotten the scandals or the promises to not advertise. However......the Counting On show still brought in a decent audience.  I think TlC sees a use for the Duggars as a way to advertise the new fall lineup.  In other words, TLC doesn't need advertisers.  The Counting on show is just one big advertisement  for TLC with a built in audience.  

I'm actually really bummed about this.  I was previously very satisfied with the demise of the Duggar reality shit show.  Watching the parents crash and burn was great Karma.  Don't get me wrong...I wish nothing but the best for the Duggerlings.  (At least the ones that keep their mouth shut!) . I just thnk the best future for those kids is one without cameras following them around.  It's like "tough love".  The loss of income might hurt for a bit, but in the long run its for the best.

1 hour ago, Timetostoplurking said:

I don't think advertisers are coming back.  Most of them made a public statement about not advertising on any Duggar show. To go back on their word and advertise would be really stupid.  I don't think the public has forgotten the scandals or the promises to not advertise. However......the Counting On show still brought in a decent audience.  I think TlC sees a use for the Duggars as a way to advertise the new fall lineup.  In other words, TLC doesn't need advertisers.  The Counting on show is just one big advertisement  for TLC with a built in audience.  

I'm actually really bummed about this.  I was previously very satisfied with the demise of the Duggar reality shit show.  Watching the parents crash and burn was great Karma.  Don't get me wrong...I wish nothing but the best for the Duggerlings.  (At least the ones that keep their mouth shut!) . I just thnk the best future for those kids is one without cameras following them around.  It's like "tough love".  The loss of income might hurt for a bit, but in the long run its for the best.

I wish I believed they won't have any more advertisers than they have had so far. But although there are many who promised never to advertise on a Duggar show, not all will keep their word.   Also, I think there are advertisers that didn't promise not to advertise on a Duggar show but instead pulled their ads stating they didn't want their name associated with the Duggars.  These might change policy if they judge it is expedient.  Add them to the handful (Lysol was one, I think) that refused to pull their ads, and to potential new advertisers who could be attracted by low prices for a good audience share and the show may be afloat again.  Maybe I am wrong, but it seems likely.   In my experience, "the public" has a short memory, and businesses do what they think will make them most money.  By next spring, if there are no new scandals and continued interest in the Duggar lives, enough advertisers may risk association with the brand.

I agree that the best thing that could happen to the Duggar kids is for the cameras to go away.  The next best thing would be for a couple of the older ones to meet partners that have no interest in fame and an intellligent impatience with simplistic fire and brimstone religion.

Let's hope that the show is not still running when Josie and Mack get to courting age.

A few people have suggested cross over shows. I've just had a thought - I'd love to see Duggars + Hoarders. I want to see them go through all that junk in the shed and donate it to appropriate places so that other people can buy used and save the difference. I love to know just how many vehicles and machinery they own and which they actually need. I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PINK AND BLUE FLAMINGOES!

• Destiny locked and unpinned this topic

Archived