IGNORED

Counting On- Part 10: Counting out in Central America!

samurai_sarah

On 7/4/2016 at 0:13 PM, anne.stults said:

Living here in Jersey for the past two years in Princeton Jct.   I have had a lot of fun when I hear someone, like a waitress use the word "yous".  I then asked them to say "hey, yous got some huge dogs in the car.   Maybe it's just me but it makes me smile.

I have heard "yous" around here in Wisconsin and it drives me crazy. There is one lady at work you uses it constantly, usually in the form of "yous guys". 

17 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

I know what you mean about the long o's haha. I don't remember the last time I talked with anyone from Nova Scotia so I'll take your word for it....as for myself, I don't say aboot. It's more of "aboat"...like "a boat"? I don't know. About being too nice...my buddies always crack up when someone else bumps into me but then I'm the one who apologizes * shrug *, if you haven't guessed it...the second they realized I do that they started bumping into me on purpose one day until I realized what was happening, which wasn't until they almost full on tackled me haha. We've talked about being from a different place originally from where we live now here on freejinger and that combined with this conversation makes me realize that my buddies have a lot of fun at my Canadian expense :P it's all good though. They do some weird American things I like to point out, too :D. I actually really love nationality humour (for lack of a better word) as long as it's in good fun and no one turns unnecessarily racist or xenophobic on each other but obviously among good friends it's (should be) always a good time :)

Haha yeah there is a lot of back and forth banter but it's all in good fun :). It's even funnier when whatever it is they are making fun of is something we actually do. My husband and I recently took a camping trip up in Northern Wisconsin, close to the Michigan border, and several times during our stay we heard our neighbors at the campsite use the phrase "O yah". As in, "Isn't it hot out today" - "O yah". Coincidentally when we got back it came up again from our Canadian friend and my husband and I just kind of chuckled and now we say it often as a joke. 

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/4/2016 at 10:08 AM, SpoonfulOSugar said:

After I wrote this, I almost added that I felt similarly about Texans eons ago when I was growing up in northern New Mexico.  It was a really frustrating experience to have to deal with the attitudes. :( 

I grew up in a ski town in the Colorado mountIng and this! Especially with Texans, New Yorkers, Chicagoans... and especially Texans haha

10 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

I have heard "yous" around here in Wisconsin and it drives me crazy. There is one lady at work you uses it constantly, usually in the form of "yous guys". 

I grew up in Wisconsin and yoose guys always drove me insane.  Now, I say it as a joke.  "Yoose guys want a pop?"

Northeast Ohioan here. I lived in a very suburban area and visited Akron and Cleveland all the time. As a kid, I legitimately had no idea what all the cornfield jokes were until we took a field trip to Columbus. Incidentally, I ended up going to college in "middle-of-nowhere" Ohio where everything made sense. 

So, I'm ethnically Indian. I don't feel I've ever gotten backlash for being American, but I get some pretty interesting comments upon my brownness. The ladies at the nail salon asked me if I was a doctor "because a lot of people from my country are doctors" -_-. My sister was once asked if our dad worked at a local convenience store, a la Apu and Kwik-e-mart (he's an economics professor). When she said no, her classmate responded with "Oh. It must be Nikhil's dad then" (Nikhil's dad was a business professor at the same university).      

@Audrey2 The Cleveland Orchestra is also one of the best in the world, there's the Cleveland Museum of Art which gets some awesome exhibitions, and for you sports fans, we have Ohio State football and His Highness King James. Plus, Columbus is an AMAZING foodie city. At one point (late 1990s), Ohio was the 7th most populated state until the economy turned to shit. It may not be glamorous, but it has everything you need. And the rent is reasonable. I gotta say, I'm a proud Ohioan and I fucking love casserole.  

I lived in Germany for a semester and upon visiting Berlin, I felt really bad that it seemed like today's Germans are still atoning for the Nazis. It's a shame because everybody I met was super nice and friendly, even though my German sucked. And a group of people cannot be evil if they created the schokomuffin. Look it up. They are chocolate muffins with Nutella in the middle. I would do some very non-Duggar approved things for a schokomuffin right about now...

13 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I grew up in Wisconsin and yoose guys always drove me insane.  Now, I say it as a joke.  "Yoose guys want a pop?"

Pop? What's a pop? OH you mean soda?!

Just pulling your leg, it seems pretty divided all over WI on which is the "proper" term lol 

But a bubbler is a bubbler. There is no argument there. 

4 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

Pop? What's a pop? OH you mean soda?!

Just pulling your leg, it seems pretty divided all over WI on which is the "proper" term lol 

But a bubbler is a bubbler. There is no argument there. 

Pop = what you call your grandfather

Soda = Soda Water, the most evil tasting drink ever invented or Baking Soda, something most recipes call for but I never bother to use

I think perhaps the word you are looking for is FIZZY DRINK :pb_lol:

8 minutes ago, manda b said:

I'm from KY and we call soft drinks coke.  

Ask for a coke in WI and they will either bring you Coca Cola or ask if Pepsi is okay :tw_grin:

I'm in WA (grew up in MT) and I've heard pop or soda from everyone, it's a mixed bag, in both places. (I say pop)

It's pop here in Iowa. However, I like to be different, and I always ask for a "diet soda" when I eat out at restaurants. Also, if you're from the Des Moines area, you don't go trick-or-treating on Halloween. You do it on Oct. 30, also known as Beggar's Night. And you better come prepared with a funny joke to tell...or no candy for you!

52 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

It's pop here in Iowa. However, I like to be different, and I always ask for a "diet soda" when I eat out at restaurants. Also, if you're from the Des Moines area, you don't go trick-or-treating on Halloween. You do it on Oct. 30, also known as Beggar's Night. And you better come prepared with a funny joke to tell...or no candy for you!

My hometown in WI does it differently than even other towns within WI. Trick or treating is always on the Sunday before or on Oct.31st and always done during early afternoon while it's still light out. It has been done this way since the 70's when a girl was murdered by her neighbor while trick or treating. I didn't even realize other towns in WI didn't do it this way until I moved. 

I love New England stereotypes.  Some are even true. Here is my favorite  northern New England story:

There were 4 guys riding to a convention together. One from Maine, one from Vermont, one from New Hampshire, and one from Massachusetts.    As they traveled the fellow from  Maine started ranting about blueberries. So many blueberries.  You can't get away  from them. They are everywhere! And with that he rolled down his window and threw a quart of blueberries out the window. 

About five minutes later the fellow from Vermont started ranting about maple syrup. Oh my god. Syrup. It's  everywhere. I am so sick of maple syrup.  And with that he rolled down his window and threw his pint of maple syrup out the window.

Five minutes late the fellow from New Hampshire rolled down his window and threw out the fellow from Massachusetts. 

Badumbum.

3 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

Ask for a coke in WI and they will either bring you Coca Cola or ask if Pepsi is okay :tw_grin:

lol With family they'll ask what kind

Why do people do that. If I wanted a Pepsi, I'd have have asked for a pepsi. 

5 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

I find it interesting that "Coke" means any kind of soda/pop/fizzy drink* in so many places.

The story is that many years ago, Coke went on a mission.  They'd send spies out to restaurants to order Cokes and when they were served Pepsi instead, they'd slap a lawsuit on the place .  I'm in New England and very used to saying "Coke/Pepsi - whatever" even before I'm asked because I'm always going to be asked.  Restaurants are absolutely paranoid about it here.

*My mother is from Boston and still refers to soda/pop as "tonic".   When I was a kid working at McDonald's in the 80's the menu board even read "Orange Tonic".  It was a long time before they switched over to Orange Soda.

• Destiny locked and unpinned this topic

Archived