IGNORED

Bates Family Part 15 - Bumps, Births and Babies

samurai_sarah

11 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

some friends of mine were goofing off at my other friends house. one was giving the other a piggy back ride and he reared back and the kid's foot went through the wall.

also one time my BIL lost his balance and put his head through the wall.

and my OTHER BIL when he was really little got mad and punched a hole in the wall. 

So, it happens. I think if you don't have plaster, just sheetrock, it's easier. I could be wrong though. It's just that in every one of those instances the walls didn't have any texture on them.

Two guys I was friends with in college were both really drunk and trying to show how manly they were, so they punched one hole each through a wall. Then someone heard the commotion and came over to ask what they were doing, so one of them demonstrated the activity...by punching another hole in the wall.

Thank god the house wasn't university property (frat house), and when they sobered up, they were horrified and immediately went out to Home Depot to buy supplies to fix the damage personally. Though they did sign the wall to commemorate their shenanigans.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Seriously, what is that wall made of? You could literally break into that house by punching it.

As a European, I think trying to understand why Americans insist on building their houses out of that stuff will just give you a headache. :D Seriously though, that stuff is part of the reason why houses in the US can be so cheap.

Good point about the lack of insulation, too. What is up with that? They must be freezing in the winter!

What bothered me about the video was that Lawson didn't even apologize. He probably did later on, but I would apologize immediately. Maybe it's just an immediate reaction for me and not other people. My first reaction to putting a hole in my sisters wall would be, "oh no I'm sorry!" 

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What bothered me about the video was that Lawson didn't even apologize. He probably did later on, but I would apologize immediately. Maybe it's just an immediate reaction for me and not other people. My first reaction to putting a hole in my sisters wall would be, "oh no I'm sorry!" 

Honestly, i wouldn't have apologized, not to Erin. To chad, of course, but if the idiot of my sister was laughing her ass off after i broke her house, hey, at least she ks happy :pb_lol:

It looks like an interior wall in the hallway to me.  That normally wouldn't have insulation.

On 5/16/2016 at 5:00 PM, trisprefect said:

I don't know, I believe that they were surprised to be pregnant again so quickly, if only because I also believe that they lack anything remotely close to a working knowledge of sex education. I don't, however, think that they were doing anything special to prevent a pregnancy, and in my opinion even natural family planning is rather a lot to hope for from these two. Maybe after this baby they'll try a bit harder not to get pregnant, especially if it isn't an easy birth, but even that is probably a long shot. Sure, I hope that they'll be happy with two and stop there, but I would be very surprised if Chad and Erin only end up having two kids.

Honestly a couple of people I've talked to raised on abstinence only education knew shockingly little about sex and pregnancy. It would not surprise me at all if they thought they were being safe but weren't. I mean we all know how lacking their sex education was. In fact that goes for all the Bates and Duggar kids. However, that being said I also wouldn't be surprised if Chad and Erin's only attempt at preventing pregnancy was "trusting Jesus."

On 5/16/2016 at 10:30 PM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

My niece has been forward facing since she was 1 as the poor thing has inherited the carsickness gene that both my brother and I inherited from our mother and being able to 'look around' helps alleviate it. To this day, I'll vomit after more than 15 minutes in a car or bus f I can't look around. I don't know much about carseats but I remember my brother's wife saying something like 'people might criticise but it's what we need to do'. 

Thank you for bringing this up. As another person with severe motion sickness, I was afraid to bring up the idea of motion sickness in small children. As a child in the pre air bag days, I'd start a trip in the back seat, but would soon feel really queasy so, after stopping the car and walking for awhile, I'd trade seats with my mom in the front. Each day of vacation started with Dramamine, which knocked me out for awhile. Now, I use Dramamine less drowsy formula and Sea Bands together, so I do better but am still not sickness free. I really feel for rear facing children and parents of children who suffer severe motion sickness.

17 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

That video did nothing but make me have the hots for Chad even more. I wish it was possible to down vote my own posts.

I don't know why he does it for me. Those arms, he's good with his hands, and does laundry.

Sorry, I'll go into the prayer closet.  

I personally know why he does it for me but it's gonna sound bad tbh. He's manly, very handy, and good looking. I know he's super conservative and I don't agree with their view points but I'm kinda tired of non masculine men. I love when a guy isn't afraid to pick up tools and build stuff. I know it's ok for a guy to have emotions and all that but I like my men manly. I'll go hide in my cave for a bit.

24 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I personally know why he does it for me but it's gonna sound bad tbh. He's manly, very handy, and good looking. I know he's super conservative and I don't agree with their view points but I'm kinda tired of non masculine men. I love when a guy isn't afraid to pick up tools and build stuff. I know it's ok for a guy to have emotions and all that but I like my men manly. I'll go hide in my cave for a bit.

Hey, nothing wrong with that! I am very critical when it comes to toxic masculinity, but it doesn't mean that I didn't sit down with a beer on the porch to watch my husband swing a sledgehammer on some concrete. :pearlclutching: Talk about defrauding.

2 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Honestly a couple of people I've talked to raised on abstinence only education knew shockingly little about sex and pregnancy. It would not surprise me at all if they thought they were being safe but weren't. I mean we all know how lacking their sex education was. In fact that goes for all the Bates and Duggar kids. However, that being said I also wouldn't be surprised if Chad and Erin's only attempt at preventing pregnancy was "trusting Jesus."

I've spoken to people that didn't know how babies are made. The person had a child. 

And even here in progressive and quite open Norway, people belive you can't get pregnant while nursing. And that safe periods are foolproof. I mean, how?

3 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

The little sister of my friend went to a conservative Christian school and got pregnant at 15. She and her boyfriend weren't using condoms because they thought that there were only certain times of the month when semen had working sperm in it. :my_confused:

While I don't think the Bates adults are this ignorant, I would not be surprised if they aren't clear about all the details of reproduction--such as breastfeeding, withdrawal, or sex during menstrual cycles not being 100% foolproof as contraception.

5 minutes ago, Thorns said:

I've spoken to people that didn't know how babies are made. The person had a child. 

:my_cry:

Like...she thought the stork dropped it off?

Even here on FJ we have people who don't realize how common it is to get pregnant while exclusively breast feeding. 

1 hour ago, Thorns said:

So ... how ?

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

The little sister of my friend went to a conservative Christian school and got pregnant at 15. She and her boyfriend weren't using condoms because they thought that there were only certain times of the month when semen had working sperm in it. :my_confused:

While I don't think the Bates adults are this ignorant, I would not be surprised if they aren't clear about all the details of reproduction--such as breastfeeding, withdrawal, or sex during menstrual cycles not being 100% foolproof as contraception.

<snip>

I wonder about the sex during menstrual cycles thing. Leviticus (good ole Leviticus) says you shouldn't sleep with a woman during her period or for seven days after because she's unclean. I wonder if the Duggars and Bateses follow this rule, since they seem to follow other teachings of Leviticus, or their shitty interpretations at least (lookin' at you, alleged homosexuality passage).

1 hour ago, Finduilas said:

So ... how ?

When I read this and the response, I just figured that the couple hasn't made the connection between input and output. (After all, to mix families, you don't put two Legos together and get a third Lego.)

50 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I wonder about the sex during menstrual cycles thing. Leviticus (good ole Leviticus) says you shouldn't sleep with a woman during her period or for seven days after because she's unclean. I wonder if the Duggars and Bateses follow this rule, since they seem to follow other teachings of Leviticus, or their shitty interpretations at least (lookin' at you, alleged homosexuality passage).

I doubt they ever abstain. "Sex is only for reproducing" but do you think JB or Gil could keep it in their pants for 9 months x 17/19 pregnancies? That's 13 years. No way. Ya know, just in case Michelle or Kelly have an extra uterus lying around to impregnate. Can't be too sure. :my_rolleyes:

Gothardites don't generally believe that sex is only for reproducing.  They do believe it is only allowable during marriage.

2 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

That is s crappy rule and could actually prevent pregnancy. I got pregnant right after I finished my cycle. Indy 8! Now that's early in s cycle to get pregnant! 

4 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

JB and Michelle have said in their books that they follow those rules, but who knows how much those are followed in reality?

Getting back to car seat safety,  30 or so years ago, we turned car seats to face forward generally at 6 months.  (I know many of you are horrified.)  With our second daughter, she screamed non-stop in the car till we could turn her car seat around.  Once we turned her seat around, the screaming stopped.   Her great-grandmother admitted that she could not ride on the Metro in a rear-facing seat or she's get sick.

On 5/15/2016 at 6:03 PM, RoseWilder said:

This baby wasn't throwing up or in distress. I've been in the car with them when his mother claimed he was upset, he was fussy for ten seconds and then stopped. He wasn't crying, throwing up or anything else. He just wasn't giggling and happy like normal. 

I agree that having a car sick baby would be hard. But I don't think risking their lives is the solution to that problem. 

I would ask my pediatrician what to do if I had a chronically carsick baby. I never had one. The baby you describe does not sound carsick.

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I would ask my pediatrician what to do if I had a chronically carsick baby. I never had one. The baby you describe does not sound carsick.

I've asked mine multiple times. He says all I can do is turn him forward for carsickness although it's recommended to wait until age two. I'm like, gee thanks. For nothing...

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I've asked mine multiple times. He says all I can do is turn him forward for carsickness although it's recommended to wait until age two. I'm like, gee thanks. For nothing...

You have to infuse some common sense.

If one really was that much of a vigilante, one would NEVER put a child (or themself) into a moving car, BUT common sense and reality means most of us must use modes of transportation other than our feet.

Living in the world is not risk free and we all will die.

If your child is barfy, screaming and at risk of aspiration when they are rear facing in the car, you probably need to turn that seat around- it's just as safe as risking aspiration or an accident.

Been there, done that.

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Getting back to car seat safety,  30 or so years ago, we turned car seats to face forward generally at 6 months.  (I know many of you are horrified.)  With our second daughter, she screamed non-stop in the car till we could turn her car seat around.  Once we turned her seat around, the screaming stopped.   Her great-grandmother admitted that she could not ride on the Metro in a rear-facing seat or she's get sick.

My DD is thirty one. I don't  remember ever carrying her rear facing (may have done so, I just don't recall), nor anyone telling me to make sure to do so when I left the hospital with her. Safety precautions change for the better.

The inability to face the direction opposite of travel without becoming sick is a real medical condition. 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I never had this problem, but I thought maybe there was something that could be given to the baby so rear facing travel would be OK. I would think that the doctor feels that the risk of being sick vs. the risk of front facing is at least the same or maybe worse, hence the recommendation. I would ask my peds this directly and would then try to be comfortable with the advice I was given. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived