IGNORED

Bates Family Part 15 - Bumps, Births and Babies

samurai_sarah

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

I should have sent my kids to Sweden so that they could do a case study.

Wonder if reflux exists?

I knew Scandinavia was Utopia.

Reflux is a real thing here... I think that they are not saying it is impossible for a baby to throw up in a car but it is not due to carsickness. It doesn't seem to be that common though that babies throw up in the car though so perhaps they are "right" in the sense that if they do it is because of something else. Cleaning up is the same regardless of why... For us the 2 year mark seems to be true, before that our daughter had a period she hated the carseat (we thought) but it turned out she didn't like the dark and we often traveled in the afternoon (close to the Arctic circle so dusk in the winter comes in early afternoon) or night. I had to sit next to her with a flashlight to keep her calm... Uhhh, sometimes babies are a pain in the ass.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so thankful I did not have car-criers.  There is nothing worse than sitting in traffic with a screaming kid.   

I am an anxious driver and cannot stand when my kids are loud in the car.  WHen I am alone, I rarely even play music.  I just like it very quiet.  When my kids cut up in the back seat, it sends me straight over the edge.  I'm constantly shushhing them, and it makes me feel like such a bitch,to be annoyed by the sound of children's laughter.  LOL.

6 hours ago, elliha said:

Here in Sweden doctors say that children under 2 cannot be carsick and they don't seem to get carsick from what I have seen. I have never heard of a carsick baby. If they are over 2 and carsick they still say that they should not be turned and instead keep the cars as cold as you can stand, neither give too little or too much food and no screens or books. My daughter has thrown up twice in the car after she turned 3, once she refused to eat breakfast and then 1,5 hours later ate a lot of food at a gas station and then threw half of it up. The other time she was drawing in the car and it probably made her carsick. I am and always was very carsick myself so I expected her to be carsick but she doesn't seem to have that much of a problem. I never rearfaced, I sat on people's lap with no seatbelt most of my childhood and I was still carsick...

That's odd since my older son has only thrown up once since being turned forward at two but threw up many many times rear facing before two. So based on my personal experience, I don't believe that. 

25 minutes ago, elliha said:

Reflux is a real thing here... I think that they are not saying it is impossible for a baby to throw up in a car but it is not due to carsickness. It doesn't seem to be that common though that babies throw up in the car though so perhaps they are "right" in the sense that if they do it is because of something else. Cleaning up is the same regardless of why... For us the 2 year mark seems to be true, before that our daughter had a period she hated the carseat (we thought) but it turned out she didn't like the dark and we often traveled in the afternoon (close to the Arctic circle so dusk in the winter comes in early afternoon) or night. I had to sit next to her with a flashlight to keep her calm... Uhhh, sometimes babies are a pain in the ass.

My Husband will sit in the back with the baby and play with him the whole time yet he still screams his head off until he pukes. We've tried just about everything but medication and turning him. I bet once we turn him it will get much better just like with my older son.

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

About Alyssa's picture in leggings, I don't think it praises Kelly at all. Yes there are ATI woman who wear shorts, but leggings with a short T-shirt are Nike! 

But for me the most shocking part is when she says that it takes too much time to be ready when you have a little kid. Didn't she realised before? Really? It's not that she has been living with childless people!

Alyssa, enjoy your (obviously nice) life. Enjoy your daughter. And take your time before having more babies. Maybe you don't know, but having few kids i

It shocks me that she thinks cutting a few inches off her hair will make any difference.

From what we've seen, Alyssa is a type A personality. I assume she must do her hair and makeup every day even if she's just making a coffee run. She was the family organizer and she got out at 19, so I would guess she is one of the girls with the least amount of childcare experience. So it doesn't really surprise me that she is having a hard time getting ready and taking care of a baby. And Mark my words, she won't have a huge family. 

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

But for me the most shocking part is when she says that it takes too much time to be ready when you have a little kid. Didn't she realised before? Really? It's not that she has been living with childless people!

Well she did live with parents who barely parented. Gil and Kelly have all these kids yet seem to spend most of their time focusing on themselves. She did help raise a whole bunch of kids, but maybe she thought it would be easier when she was no longer a child raising multiple children. 

I personally found long hair easier to care for when I had small kids. Toss it up in a pony tail or bun and call it a day, 

On 5/18/2016 at 0:09 AM, PennySycamore said:

Getting back to car seat safety,  30 or so years ago, we turned car seats to face forward generally at 6 months.  (I know many of you are horrified.)  With our second daughter, she screamed non-stop in the car till we could turn her car seat around.  Once we turned her seat around, the screaming stopped.   Her great-grandmother admitted that she could not ride on the Metro in a rear-facing seat or she's get sick.

I would imagine even now that its a hell of a lot safer to drive with a forward facing baby then one that's screaming bloody murder the whole time in your ears. Just my opinion. 

On 5/17/2016 at 7:54 PM, Exjw2015deed said:

That video did nothing but make me have the hots for Chad even more. I wish it was possible to down vote my own posts.

I don't know why he does it for me. Those arms, he's good with his hands, and does laundry.

Sorry, I'll go into the prayer closet.  

I think its time for some blanket training. We'll get you under control. 

1 hour ago, elliha said:

Bloody hell----grandwychling has spewed bigtime on me twice at home.  And since I'm the one who usually sits with him in the car, maybe I better get us both dropcloths or something.  I love the little bugger like crazy, thankfully!

Car seat safety is not a hill I can crucify anyone on. My oldest perfectly fine rear/front facing. No issues just give him his trains to play with and a pacifier put on the Wiggles (dating myself here) and life was fine.

Boy #2... holy hell. Saw carseat would get upset. Put in carseat the screaming would start by the time we were out of the neighborhood he'd be spewing all over the back seat. Didn't matter if he was front or rear facing, if he had toys, food, music. That boy got carsick immediately. Week 1 he started screaming in his seat.

Fast forward 17 years and he still gets carsick if he can't see out the window. Some people just have inner ear issues that cause them to have a hard time w/ travel. 

good times ya'll good times.

Just because someone doesn't vomit  doesn't mean that they don't get car sick. I've never vomited in a car,  but I do sometimes get incredibly nauseous.  A baby can't say that.  They can only cry. 

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

From what we've seen, Alyssa is a type A personality. I assume she must do her hair and makeup every day even if she's just making a coffee run. She was the family organizer and she got out at 19, so I would guess she is one of the girls with the least amount of childcare experience. So it doesn't really surprise me that she is having a hard time getting ready and taking care of a baby. And Mark my words, she won't have a huge family. 

I read last night that Alyssa said at one point that she only wanted six kids. While I feel that six is a lot, in fudie world and the Bates family it's not many at all. If those are in fact her intentions, then she's going to have to be using some kind of birth control. Hopefully she gets real information on birth control and not that Christian crap that was spewed to the Duggars way back when.

So the Bates compound has gone to the cats (cute little girl).  I hope it is treated better than cats in Duggarland.

ETA they are dumb to call it Calico when they already have a kid named Callie.

Cute kitten. I'm watching the episode now where they're giving behind the scenes commentary. I'm wondering can they start a project or do anything around the house without Chad? He always seems to be fixing all their projects on the show

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the episode guide mentions a visit to Florida, and that Alyssa and John discuss their family future. I wonder if they decided to hold off on having more children until Allie is a toddler. Just pure speculation. I know she has mentioned before that she wants 6, which means she would have to use some form of birth control. She got married so young she could have easily surpassed Kelly.

I get massively motion sick. I always have. I couldn't make it the 15-20 minute drive to my Grammy's house as a kid without puking. Even now, too much time in a rocking chair makes me nauseous, lol. For whoever mentioned carsickness not necessarily equaling vomit is right. As an adult, I don't puke in the car anymore, but if I'm not driving (something about driving makes it better), i'm miserable. I think that's why I sleep/slept so much in the car. it's a defense mechanism, lol

My son seems to have inherited it, unfortunately, but unlike many of y'alls kids, he didn't start getting carsick until I turned him forward facing.

I alway crack up when people describe ANY of the Duggars or Bates as type A- none of these people is type A. Type A values quality. None of these folks values quality over quantity, IMO.

7 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

ETA they are dumb to call it Calico when they already have a kid named Callie.

The mother's name is Kelly and they proceeded to name one of their spawn Callie and one Ellie.  Don't think the cat's name makes much of a difference at this point. :my_biggrin:

10 hours ago, imokit said:

Just because someone doesn't vomit  doesn't mean that they don't get car sick. I've never vomited in a car,  but I do sometimes get incredibly nauseous.  A baby can't say that.  They can only cry. 

I never vomit but do get carsick. On the other hand vomiting doesn't come easy to me, I have horrible stomach flu too without vomiting, just feeling incredibly bad and then getting violent diarrhea instead after about 24 h. (Sorry for that last part but it felt necessary to say that to be able to explain the situation)

9 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I hope it is treated better than cats in Duggarland.

I hope it is treated better than they treated their horses. The Bates don't have a good record when it comes to treating animals well. 

I haven't vomited without alcohol helping since i was a little kid, and i can get terrible carsickness if not forward facing. The other day, there was only a seat ln the bus and it was rear fackng. I felt so sick i had to get off two stops before mine and just walk home

21 hours ago, Kak said:

It shocks me that she thinks cutting a few inches off her hair will make any difference.

To be fair, I was amazed at how much quicker it was to wash/dry/straighten my hair when I cut it from halfway down my back to just under my shoulders. 

9 hours ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

I get massively motion sick. I always have. I couldn't make it the 15-20 minute drive to my Grammy's house as a kid without puking. Even now, too much time in a rocking chair makes me nauseous, lol. For whoever mentioned carsickness not necessarily equaling vomit is right. As an adult, I don't puke in the car anymore, but if I'm not driving (something about driving makes it better), i'm miserable. I think that's why I sleep/slept so much in the car. it's a defense mechanism, lol

My son seems to have inherited it, unfortunately, but unlike many of y'alls kid she didn't start getting carsick until I turned him forward facing.

I wanted to add earlier meclizine has made my youngest son's life so much better. He takes one before getting into a car and it helps with his nausea. He calls it a lifesaver. Our pharmacy carries it behind the counter and you have to ask for it by name. But I sing its praises.

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I alway crack up when people describe ANY of the Duggars or Bates as type A- none of these people is type A. Type A values quality. None of these folks values quality over quantity, IMO.

If Alyssa does in fact only have only a few children, I would imagine she values quality more over quantity. 

I get carsickness, but rarely throw up. Sometimes I'd rather throw up if the feeling would go away. Most of my family is the same way. I can't sit in a bus/limo/any mode of transportation on non-forward facing seats. For some reason in my younger years my aunt always hired limos to take us places - mostly for convenience with airport trips - we're not the rockafellars ;) but all the cousins would fight over which three of us got the only forward facing seats because we all got sick. 

And I'm disputing the babies can't get carsick idea. My nephew, from 6 months on, would throw up like clockwork at precisely 25 minutes. Yes, he also had a severe case of reflux, but this vomit was different. And the 25 minutes on the dot led me to believe it's motion sickness. Now that he's older he can last about an hour, but still vomits like clockwork in a car. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived