IGNORED

Bates Family Part 15 - Bumps, Births and Babies

samurai_sarah

I think Erin has Thrombophilia.  Acquired or inherited - with good care she can reproduce safely.

Kelly took progesterone to sustain her later pregnancies.  A totally different issue.

Neither Erin nor Kelly have difficulty conceiving.  Obviously.

I am reminded that Kelly named her miscarriages (and I don't bash that because it helps with grieving.)  I do question the names: Jewel, Jubilee (predates Duggar Jubilee), Zion, and Sunny - or was it Sunshine?

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I think Erin has Thrombophilia.  Acquired or inherited - with good care she can reproduce safely.

Kelly took progesterone to sustain her later pregnancies.  A totally different issue.

I am reminded that Kelly named her miscarriages (and I don't bash that because it helps with grieving.)  I do question the names: Jewel, Jubilee (predates Duggar Jubilee), Zion, and Sunny - or was it Sunshine?

Yeah... Compared with the names they picked for their living kids those names seem a bit odd. Maybe they wanted gender neutral because they couldn't know for sure? But there are plenty of really nice gender neutral names out there to use. I picked Morgan for our first - honors my Irish heritage and works for either gender.

9 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

I throw up really, really easily (think after a few glasses of wine, or washing up old dishes, etc!) but when I'm travelling in the back seat of a car I get horribly nauseous but don't throw up. (Driving or front seat is fine.) It's very odd. Strange how the same experience can cause such different feelings in people.

Same thing with Wychling. 

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

The names for all four miscarriages are discussed in the first post on this thread.

My midwife wanted my tested for clotting disorders because both strokes and heart attacks are unfortunately common in my family. After some reading I turned it down mainly because at least the most common genes here in Sweden only lead to an increased risk and the wast majority of people with this gene never have a blood clot. I felt that the odds would still be in my favor even if I did have this gene. This means that Kelly and/or Gil could very well be sufferers but not have any problems. One thing they asked me about several times to try to assess me was if I had miscarried. I haven't to the best of my knowledge which was described as encouraging.

I think it's crazy having an open invite to a graduation .It's the same thing when Erin married and Kelly told complete strangers send an email and they would get an invite. At least that's what I gathered. I read on FB one fan drove 17 hours form Florida to see Tory graduate-crazy when you don't know them. You never know who may show up..

On 5/20/2016 at 11:29 PM, rainbowbabycakes said:

My son seems to have inherited it, unfortunately, but unlike many of y'alls kids, he didn't start getting carsick until I turned him forward facing.

I feel much less sick rear-facing than forward-facing. I always try to sit backwards on the bus or train. When I was younger (out of carseat but still small enough to curl up in the back seat to sleep) I would twist myself completely around to be facing the back of the car while still remaining buckled (I'm aware I'm very lucky I never got hurt).

In related news my sister brought her goddaughter home for the week and they're staying with my mum. Getting into my mum's car the other day I was helping the "baby" (she's three) get buckled into her car seat. As we maneuvered her arms in my mum said "oh, that strap is always twisted, it doesn't matter." I untwisted the strap. Then the chest buckle was about at her belly button. I moved it up the straps to her armpits. My mum said "oh, does that one have to be closed too?" Once she was all buckled I pulled on the straps to see they were loose, and my mum said "oh, I think there's a thing to pull on the front to tighten them?" I pulled THREE INCHES of strap to tighten them. Then, when we got to our destination I took the damn thing apart to lower the straps down so they wouldn't be coming from above her shoulders, and readjusted the strap tightness all over again. I had a little chat with my mum and sister, both of whom were surprised how much of a car seat nazi I apparently am. So am I.

@just...sare I can totally relate. I used to be a nanny and learned a ton about car seat safety from my job. It's come in handy because I have shown 3 different friends with kids where the chest clip should be, how the straps tighten, and they didn't even know what the latch system was. They all told me "well we wondered where those straps go". These are 3 sets of parents with more than one child each! I'm like damn, you know these carseats come with manuals?! 

5 hours ago, roddma said:

I think it's crazy having an open invite to a graduation .It's the same thing when Erin married and Kelly told complete strangers send an email and they would get an invite. At least that's what I gathered. I read on FB one fan drove 17 hours form Florida to see Tory graduate-crazy when you don't know them. You never know who may show up..

It is about grifting.  Everyone who comes will bring gifts.

Asking for some clarification, as these standards and doctrine can be very confusing: Is the Gothard stance on fertility treatments vs. what Kelly did/Erin does that you do whatever you can to sustain a pregnancy but if you're infertile then you're shit out of luck and God is punishing you?

Kelly explains it that taking progesterone or Erin doing the injections are caring for a life that exists just as one would get treatment for a two month old.  To them that is a distinction that a life exists vs fertility treatment.

20 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I have Thrombophilia and had a really bad blood clot.  I was told it would be very dangerous to get pregnant (thankfully it wasn't something I was planning).

Seemingly Oestrogen increases the risk of clotting (hence why I'm not allowed to take the Combined pill). 

I'm assuming she has to inject Heparin (not sure if it called the same in the US) as Warfarin wouldn't be safe during pregnancy.

Hopefully she'll be safe but it would be stupid for her to risk as many pregnancies as her mother so she may have to think about a better form of contraception than NFP.

44 minutes ago, enigmata said:

I have Thrombophilia and had a really bad blood clot.  I was told it would be very dangerous to get pregnant (thankfully it wasn't something I was planning).

Seemingly Oestrogen increases the risk of clotting (hence why I'm not allowed to take the Combined pill). 

I'm assuming she has to inject Heparin (not sure if it called the same in the US) as Warfarin wouldn't be safe during pregnancy.

Hopefully she'll be safe but it would be stupid for her to risk as many pregnancies as her mother so she may have to think about a better form of contraception than NFP.

But then how else will Erin and Chad's quiver be full of arrows?

On 5/20/2016 at 9:49 AM, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm not sure if Kelly's issues towards the end were genetic or due to her age.  Because when she was younger, her kids are about 15 months apart (their birthdays are on the family Wiki page).  

The genetic issues could be in Gil's side of the family.  I'm not sure how many kids Gil is one of or if he has sisters (and how many kids they have).  

Either his sister or sister in law talked about fertility issues on one of those episodes with his family. If its his sisters there's a connection. Less likely if its the sister in law.

His sister had a problem carrying pregnancies.  That is not a fertility issue which is about being able to conceive.

6 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Asking for some clarification, as these standards and doctrine can be very confusing: Is the Gothard stance on fertility treatments vs. what Kelly did/Erin does that you do whatever you can to sustain a pregnancy but if you're infertile then you're shit out of luck and God is punishing you?

That's the whole gist of Quiverfull. Fertility is a blessing.

Erin and Chad claim to  be distanced from Gothard, but it still seems they follow the mandates set by him. Not all QF follow Gothard, though, and maybe not all of them believe infertility has divine causes.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/2012/09/no-mamas-choice-infertility/

19 hours ago, mstee said:

@just...sare I can totally relate. I used to be a nanny and learned a ton about car seat safety from my job. It's come in handy because I have shown 3 different friends with kids where the chest clip should be, how the straps tighten, and they didn't even know what the latch system was. They all told me "well we wondered where those straps go". These are 3 sets of parents with more than one child each! I'm like damn, you know these carseats come with manuals?! 

While it doesn't seem too counter-intuitive once you see the guidelines, I'm really at the point of just making sure I can stay in a city with public transportation for the entire period during which any hypothetical kid would need a car seat. Or just do what I saw all the time in rural China: strap the kid to your back in a very nicely embroidered meitai, hop on a falling-apart Yamaha motorbike, and zoom down the village's main street like you're auditioning for The Fast and the Furious, dodging chicken trucks, roaming water buffalo, and school kids popping wheelies on their bikes the whole way. Then teach your kid to operate a motorbike independently by age 10 or so.

New Allie picture. Seems that she's eating healthy and doing BLW. Good for Alyssa. 

On May 20, 2016 at 6:01 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

So the Bates compound has gone to the cats (cute little girl).  I hope it is treated better than cats in Duggarland.

ETA they are dumb to call it Calico when they already have a kid named Callie.

sneak inside and stay? So it seems they keep the poor thing outside all the time. Just as bad as the Duggars

3 minutes ago, patsymae said:

sneak inside and stay? So it seems they keep the poor thing outside all the time. Just as bad as the Duggars

Yeah, seriously, this cat will probably end up being treated like those poor horses.:my_sad: These people barely care for their children, they should stop getting animals. 

Kelly commented she had a bed in the pantry but preferred being in someone's lap. I'm hoping since she's still small she's inside. 

Also, I wonder if Lawson is in another get to know you phase? Didn't he comment not too long ago something about not being the lone ranger for long? 

15 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Yeah, seriously, this cat will probably end up being treated like those poor horses.:my_sad: These people barely care for their children, they should stop getting animals. 

I wonder if the cat is a storyline for the show.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:01 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

So the Bates compound has gone to the cats (cute little girl).  I hope it is treated better than cats in Duggarland.

ETA they are dumb to call it Calico when they already have a kid named Callie.

Whatever that bow is on the plaque reminds me of a witchcraft poppet.

"So thankful for all the aunts and uncles that's been placed in my children's lives!"??? Did Whitney attend the SOTDRT too?

I couldn't even focus on the caption because I'm always arrested by so.many.perfect.teeth. Seriously, those girls have great teeth. I smile with my teeth showing, too, and I only wish mine looked that good.

However, then I did read the caption... :pb_rollseyes:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived