IGNORED

Bates Family Part 15 - Bumps, Births and Babies

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

To be fair, I was amazed at how much quicker it was to wash/dry/straighten my hair when I cut it from halfway down my back to just under my shoulders. 

About 4 or 5 inches did make a difference for me as well. Quicker to blow dry and straighten or curl.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I throw up really, really easily (think after a few glasses of wine, or washing up old dishes, etc!) but when I'm travelling in the back seat of a car I get horribly nauseous but don't throw up. (Driving or front seat is fine.) It's very odd. Strange how the same experience can cause such different feelings in people.

12 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the episode guide mentions a visit to Florida, and that Alyssa and John discuss their family future. I wonder if they decided to hold off on having more children until Allie is a toddler. Just pure speculation. I know she has mentioned before that she wants 6, which means she would have to use some form of birth control. She got married so young she could have easily surpassed Kelly.

It's possible. Although fertility is never a sure thing, Alyssa does come from a very fertile family, and got pregnant very quickly after marriage. Otoh, Michael doesn't appear to be pregnant yet, so maybe Alyssa is experiencing difficulty in getting pregnant again. If she's not pregnant in a couple of months, Allie and the next child will be spaced out by 2+ years. If she's just doing NFP, this is a good start if she wants to lower the number of kids she has. All speculation, of course.

To jump on the Alyssa speculation train-- her sister has hereditary fertility issues.  Her other sister's been married 9 months and not yet pregnant.  Perhaps one or both of them miscarried.

6 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

To jump on the Alyssa speculation train-- her sister has hereditary fertility issues.  Her other sister's been married 9 months and not yet pregnant.  Perhaps one or both of them miscarried.

Do we know if Kelly has ever had fertility problems? She did toward the end with the last kids right?

6 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Do we know if Kelly has ever had fertility problems? She did toward the end with the last kids right?

I'm not sure if Kelly's issues towards the end were genetic or due to her age.  Because when she was younger, her kids are about 15 months apart (their birthdays are on the family Wiki page).  

The genetic issues could be in Gil's side of the family.  I'm not sure how many kids Gil is one of or if he has sisters (and how many kids they have).  

On 17.5.2016 at 11:16 PM, Finduilas said:

So ... how ?

This was a conversation about contraceptives, with a language barrier.

I _think_ she knew that sex had something to do with it (she was from a very religious culture were these things weren't talked about). She did not know about the role of semen and eggs, and nothing about ovulation. 

So, they had the sex-thing more or less figured out, and not much else.

26 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

15 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm not sure if Kelly's issues towards the end were genetic or due to her age.  Because when she was younger, her kids are about 15 months apart (their birthdays are on the family Wiki page).  

The genetic issues could be in Gil's side of the family.  I'm not sure how many kids Gil is one of or if he has sisters (and how many kids they have).  

Without knowing what the issues are (I belive a platelet disorder?), it might be recessive - that the combination of genes from Gil and Kelly causes the disease. So they might not have been affected. 

43 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

It sounds like her issues were due to her age.  It's much more common to need progesterone support in your 40's.  Like @Thorns said Gil and Kelly could both be carriers and that would affect a certain percentage of their daughters.  Purely speculating Alyssa is more likely to actively prevent right now but Michael is trying and it's just not happening yet.

Gil and Kelly's families are not quiverfull. So we don't know if their parents had fertility issues. Gil does have at least 2 siblings. They were on the show. 

They said that their daughters had 1/4 chance yo have Erin's disorder, so it's due a recessive gene. Kelly and Gil are not affect d 

I think on the show in the episode in which Carson's gender was revealed, Erin's cousin (on Gil's side) baked a cake and Erin's aunt (Gil's sister) said she was glad Erin was involving her family cause that aunt had also had fertility issues or something of that sort. But that's just from memory so I'm really not definite and I don't have access to the episode to check...

17 minutes ago, kettlingur said:

I think on the show in the episode in which Carson's gender was revealed, Erin's cousin (on Gil's side) baked a cake and Erin's aunt (Gil's sister) said she was glad Erin was involving her family cause that aunt had also had fertility issues or something of that sort. But that's just from memory so I'm really not definite and I don't have access to the episode to check...

I think you're right. I think it was Aunt Jenny who said that.

It wasn't fertility issues though, it was a clotting disorder thing the same or similar to what Erin has unless memory has failed me.  They don't have trouble conceiving which would be a fertility issue.  They have trouble carrying which is different. 

I wanted to add earlier meclizine has made my youngest son's life so much better. He takes one before getting into a car and it helps with his nausea. He calls it a lifesaver. Our pharmacy carries it behind the counter and you have to ask for it by name. But I sing its praises.

You can buy Meclizine in 100 count bottles online at Amazon. I have to take them if I'm traveling a lot.

Dramamine can be a wonderful help to a lot of people.

For those with babies prone to carsickness, have you tried tinting the window or making it more obstructing the view out of the window? Not being able to see out the window might help.

5 minutes ago, Ali said:

For those with babies prone to carsickness, have you tried tinting the window or making it more obstructing the view out of the window? Not being able to see out the window might help.

Yes. We have tinted windows with a window blocker on top. So he often can't see out and still throws up. 

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes. We have tinted windows with a window blocker on top. So he often can't see out and still throws up. 

That's too bad. Poor baby! My Pediatrician said that the angle of carseats causes babies to spit up more. That combined with being prone to carsickness is not ideal. 

The older I get, the more I get motion sickness.  Not throwing up - just generally icky feeling.

My solution is SeaBands (they go around your wrists) and Bonine.  Dramamine/Meclizine is OK, but I have found Bonine (or its generic) to work better - plus you can chew it/take it without water and it tastes like raspberry.  SeaBands + Bonine are my go-to for amusement park rides and the like.

Bonine is meclizine.  There is a Dramamine that is meclizine and one that is an older formulation (original) that can make people drowsy. 

13 minutes ago, vienna said:

Has anyone mentioned yet that Alyssa cut her hair (!!!) ? Again extraordinary for a cult member.

Not really. As I pointed out in the other thread it was brought up on, I had shorter hair than Alyssa's when I was going to ATI events and it wasn't a big deal. Lots and lots of women and girls had short hair. Literally no one mentioned my fairly short hair because while Gothard has a fetish for girls/women with long curly hair, it wasn't a big deal if girls/women had short hair. 

2 hours ago, 20thBates said:

I think you're right. I think it was Aunt Jenny who said that.

Yes but isn't aunt Jenny Gil's sister in law? But yes she said she had issues with conceiving and gave Erin advice on what to do. 

Erin seems to be very fertile. She had 3 miscarriages under one year. It was a clotting factor as the reason to why she couldn't carry.  

Kellys miscarriages were later on in her forties. She had to take a medication to avoid a miscarriage. 

Edit: looked in archives. Jenny is Gil's sister. 

6 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

She  was 40 something and she said she suffered lack of progesterone, which is typical in a woman this age. You cannot consider this a fertility issue, but an age issue. But even in her forties, Kelly had 4 kids, it's a lot! Not all women can get pregnant at that age.

I have the feeling that Alyssa has inherit Kelly's fertility  (she looks a lot alike her mother) but let's not forget women cannot impregnate themselves. Gil must be very fertile himself. Bates girls can be very fertile, but if they marry a no-very-fertile man, there will be few babies coming. 

I know it's wishful thinking, but I think Alyssa is controlling fertility. She's very young, with a very young husband, plus they got pregnant just after the wedding so they're probably very fertile. She could probably be pregnant now  if she wanted to.

1 hour ago, vienna said:

Has anyone mentioned yet that Alyssa cut her hair (!!!) ? Again extraordinary for a cult member.

No, it isn't. Kelly had never wear very long hair. Anna Duggar didn't wear long hair even when she was a Duggar bride. Yes fundie woman tend to wear long, but not all of them.

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

It wasn't fertility issues though, it was a clotting disorder thing the same or similar to what Erin has unless memory has failed me.  They don't have trouble conceiving which would be a fertility issue.  They have trouble carrying which is different. 

Ahh, yes, that was it. I didn't remember and I've never really thought to differentiate. Uhm, just realised that sounds really cold. I've just not known anyone with a clotting disorder. All the childbearing issues I've encountered in friends and such have been fertility related.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived