IGNORED

Fundie Retreat to Marry Off Children ~ Vaughn Ohlman

Leftitinmysnood

I just read passages from that blog out loud to mister destiny. He's never quite gotten why I devote so much of my time to FJ.

After hearing that, his response was, "oh, so THIS is what you guys do. I get it now."

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Necessarily Anonymous Monster's blog is a treasure trove of evilness and creepiness. I suppose he is necessarily anonymous otherwise people would spit on him.

"Raising up godly seed is my duty" can be a post count?

ETA I never blushed out of sheer embarrassment and discomfort as much as I did reading this thread. And I am an evil unmarried fornicating harlot of Babylon.

Homeschoolers Anonymous has a new article about this yahoo.  He apparently is scheduled to speak at the INCH conference in Lansing, Michigan in a few weeks on the scriptural path to marriage.  Any Michiganders planning to attend this?

Hi, Vaughn Ohlman.

So you're now busily purging reorganizing and shrinking your website in order to focus on your core goals?

While you're at it, may I suggest that you review some basic grammar?

Let Them Marry is a ministry dedicated to helping those young men and women navigate the path to marriage by calling the church to it's biblical roots.

In this context, the correct word is "its" the possessive, not "it's," which is the contraction of "it is."

Dumb fuck.

I just read passages from that blog out loud to mister destiny. He's never quite gotten why I devote so much of my time to FJ.

After hearing that, his response was, "oh, so THIS is what you guys do. I get it now."

Mr FF had that recently too. Go spouses!

8 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I looked up at the blog from which he reposted the arranged marriage story.

This stood out http://necessarilyanonymous.blogspot.com/2016/03/thou-shalt-not-rape.html

The guy is vile but did you see this comment on that post?

AnonymousMarch 30, 2016 at 7:02 PM
We used to believe this way until my father left us to be with the pastor's wife.

Mr. "Anonymous" rebukes her & his leghumpers pile on.

Why did you take down the old FAQs (and other pages)? The old FAQs page (like our other pages) was long and included a lot of writing intended to edify Christians, it turned out that it was inadequate for the task of providing bite-sized quotes.

Haha. It has NOTHING to do with the shitstorm in which they find themselves currently embroiled, you guys.  It's just because the answers couldn't adequately convey their real thoughts and intentions.  It all came out wrong. And unedifying, presumably.  

We are in the process of completely rewriting our site.

As a result of being picked up by the national media, and being misquoted, a lot, (and lied about), we decided it was best for our tiny ministry to focus on saying exactly what we mean and to take down the hundreds of blog posts and articles which attempted to explain, discuss and explore. We hope to have more content up soon!

Misquoted? How have you been misquoted, VOIAPP? By people copying, Word. For. Word, in context, precisely what you wrote? That's misquoting?

I don't think so. :roll:

What did I just read? Can someone explain this to Me? Because his fucking explanation of what Scripture means was fucking ridiculous. Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck... He's a fucking idiot.

Contrary to vicious internet rumors we do not support or in any way condone child sexual activity of any sort, child marriage, or any other illegal activity.

You know, it would be very simple to dispel this "vicious internet rumor" by making clear that participation in the event is restricted to adults eighteen years of age and older.

But of course, it isn't limited to adults, they're just redefining "child" so their participants don't technically fit the category regardless of age. 

5 hours ago, freehannie said:

Homeschoolers Anonymous has a new article about this yahoo.  He apparently is scheduled to speak at the INCH conference in Lansing, Michigan in a few weeks on the scriptural path to marriage.  Any Michiganders planning to attend this?

Paging @Mela99

7 hours ago, freehannie said:

I don't see them still listed on INCH's list of speakers...
But I don't see any discussion anywhere about it.

(For people who believe in honesty, it's amazing how little transparency there is.  Speakers magically disappear, but heaven forbid there is rational discussion about maybe not embracing  this theology or saying "hm,  Vaughn Ohlman is creepy".  It just, *poof* goes away.  in order not to tarnish anyone's reputation.  WHich just makes eveyrone suspicious of Christians. )

3 hours ago, Loveday said:

Misquoted? How have you been misquoted, VOIAPP? By people copying, Word. For. Word, in context, precisely what you wrote? That's misquoting?

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned my FB friends are discussing this, and a fundy-lite has been defending them, cherry picking the website the same way they cherry pick the Bible. It's all the evil, devil loving media. Nothing wrong with a home schoolin' get together!

3 hours ago, Loveday said:

The only thing I saw in those articles that couldn't be confirmed by his own plain statements was the idea that he was affiliated with the Duggars. Inaccurate, yes, but not related to the content of his teachings. If he's been misquoted, why delete his original statements?

All these people teach that women ought to be barefoot, pregnant, and subservient, but as soon as someone calls them on it they say "show me where I said anything insulting to women! I respect women more than anybody on earth!" As if you can say "the sky is blue" and then turn around and say "I never said it wasn't orange! Show me an exact quote where I say it isn't orange!" 

And Vaughn doesn't just do that-- he explicitly says that young teens ought to be married and that their input or consent is not necessary, but he's like "I did not specifically say 'forced child marriage,' show me where I used that exact phrase! I didn't, I just said exactly the same thing in slightly different words!" 

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

The guy is vile but did you see this comment on that post?

Mr. "Anonymous" rebukes her & his leghumpers pile on.

How did you see the comments? When I click on the link it shows 0 comments.

Also, I like how this turd blossom is using the Guy Fawkes Anonymous mask for his avatar, when he's basically arguing for taking away HUGE elements of whole swathes of humanity's freedoms.

4 hours ago, Loveday said:

They're being PERSEKUTED!!!111 like Ken and Lori Alexander....by having their own words  quoted exactly from their own writings.

I don't see them still listed on INCH's list of speakers...

But I don't see any discussion anywhere about it.

(For people who believe in honesty, it's amazing how little transparency there is.  Speakers magically disappear, but heaven forbid there is rational discussion about maybe not embracing  this theology or saying "hm,  Vaughn Ohlman is creepy".  It just, *poof* goes away.  in order not to tarnish anyone's reputation.  WHich just makes eveyrone suspicious of Christians. )

Here's a mention from HA:

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/05/07/vaughn-ohlman-no-longer-listed-as-speaker-for-inch-conference/

On 5/4/2016 at 1:42 PM, refugee said:

There's actually some kind of psychological thing -- I can't remember the official name -- where boys and girls who grow up together in a sibling relationship do not "normally" feel any sexual attraction to each other.

I wonder if the incest known to happen in quiverfull families is more a power thing, or related to the unnatural treatment of sexuality?

It's called the Westermarck Effect, and the basic premise is that people will generally not be sexually attracted to people who were in close proximity to them during a critical developmental period (generally estimated as birth to six years,) including but not limited to siblings and sibling-like relationships. It's a tendency humans have developed to prevent incest from perpetuating defects in the gene pool.

That said, Westermarck is a tendency, not an absolute. It can be overridden by a number of other factors including societal/cultural expectations, dysfunctional relationships in the family, inappropriate boundaries, and failure to develop healthy patterns of sexuality.

Westermarck also doesn't kick in without the proximity piece. So if, say, a brother and sister were kept mostly apart during that critical development period, they ironically might not develop the type of strong incest taboo that they would have with more familiarity. 

So basically, there are all kinds of reasons incest could happen in a Quiverfull family, or really any family. It's probably different reasons in different situations.

Just as one last comment, Westermarck is not considered applicable for people who meet past the age of about six or so. So trying to put two hormonal teenagers together and expect them to behave "as siblings" is probably not going to work too well. They may choose not to become sexually involved for wide variety of other reasons, and they may even have other incest taboos that apply to their situation, but the Westermarck Effect in particular would not be a factor.

I know it's not *quite* the same thing, and they *may* be attracted to each other in a kind of way, but that whole Westermarck thing made me think a little about the three lead actors from Harry Potter. All the behind-the-scenes from the whole Ron/Hermione kiss are basically "yeah, we found it so hard to do cos we feel like siblings" and while the actual moment was OK the whole idea was just too weird for them. And, not sure which one said it, but they basically said that they couldn't actually imagine being in a relationship IRL because they feel like siblings. 

OK, they met at ages 10/11, so not really the Westermarck effect, but similar nonetheless.

Yeah there's definitely a feeling of being siblings that isn't technically the Westermarck Effect but is still very strong.

3 hours ago, 16strong said:

Paging @Mela99

OH wow.... Too bad the dates don't work. DH will be away for the week and I have a baby shower, day trip, and tickets to Lewis Black that weekend. I'd have gone though. DH would have, too - I just showed him the website and he said he'd love to go for snark fodder.

13 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

Well, in the fundie world, the person somone is at 13 is the same person they will be at 33. Intellectual and emotional growth really aren't encouraged. 

Especially women. The more childlike, the better in fundie land. The S'Morton girls being the most recently discussed for just that reason.

I downloaded this asshole's book. I'm gonna hate read it and post it on my blog. Thankfully, the chapters are stupid short, so, IDEALLY, I shouldn't die of alcohol poisoning while trying to slog through this shitfest.

I downloaded this asshole's book. I'm gonna hate read it and post it on my blog. Thankfully, the chapters are stupid short, so, IDEALLY, I shouldn't die of alcohol poisoning while trying to slog through this shitfest.

I strongly suggest pancakes, Klonopin, AND wine while hate-reading such bullshit.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked this topic

Archived