IGNORED

Fundie Retreat to Marry Off Children ~ Vaughn Ohlman

Leftitinmysnood

11 minutes ago, refugee said:

I had the same question.

A biblical Eunuch is someone who either by birth/disease or force has lost the capacity for intercourse, or who for the sake of the kingdom of God (missionary work in dangerous places for example) chooses to remain single.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NotAnIncubator said:

Its essentially someone that is asexual or someone who choses living their lives purely for Jesus and never having or riteously fulfilling their sexual desires. It was usually referring to males that were either born with a physical sexual defect, or castrated males but biblical eunuchs refer to both males and females.

Ah, thanks. I thought he'd mentioned "four types" so I was trying to figure out what they might be. I could be remembering wrong, though. 

49 minutes ago, refugee said:

Ah, thanks. I thought he'd mentioned "four types" so I was trying to figure out what they might be. I could be remembering wrong, though. 

There are 3 types. I ran two thoughts into one another. The 3 main types are those 1 - naturally 2 - forced and 3 - biblical. Natural eunuchs would be intersexed or otherwise have a penile issue/barren woman. Forced are the castrated men. Biblical are those that are eunuchs for Jesus. The bible says if one is able to accept this role they should. (Read: priests, nuns)

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:29 PM, Dandruff said:

This whole scenario, aside from the mention of marriage, reminds me of what would go on at an animal breeders' convention.

I wouldn't be surprised if a dental check was involved...(as in looking a gift horse in the mouth, etc.)

As someone who started being interested in boys and reached puberty (yes menstruating) at age 7, i find this horrifying and disturbing. thank heaven I was not born into the Ohlman family.

I never thought I'd ever say this,but this guy make Lauren Chapman's story look slightly less creepy. (Very slightly,mind). At least she knew she was being married off more than 2hrs before she was sold.

Does anyone else feel that there's an element of out-Fundying the fundies here?

Ok I'm getting confused. Vaughn Ohlman is denying he's fundamentalist but then what is he? What is reformed? He sure looks fundie to me!

Refomed is a particular flavour of Christian tradition. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvinism

It's possible to be Reformed and not Fundie (although it's not very common,and the mere fact that ppl identify w 'Reformed' label is a red flag, IME.) The thing taht makes Fundies fundy is their belief that their doctrinal peculiarities are the Truth(TM)/the only valid interpretation and their lack of ability to consider that their POV might be skewed,or even that what they consider to be foundational to their belief system might not actually be that important in the scheme of things.   Fundies come in all sorts of varieties (w/in and outside of Christianity,or even religion) but this is the thing that ties them all together.

9 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Maybe the Duggars want to host. They're pretty desperate for attention these days!

The Nauglers probably have room for them. Give some of these girls an idea of how things could go wrong!

8 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I know some of the commenters on Libby Anne's blog said they called CPS. Maybe there will be a real world investigation.

Since you mention the real world, one of my FB friends picked up on this story and wrote an indignant post. He got loads of response. This story is not just for us godless, Christian hating jezebels, or whatever he called us. They may have made a serious tactical error.

I mean, can you imagine marrying a person based on who you were at 13? Yuck. 

Vaughn Ohlman talks about young women's bodies in the creepiest way. I did sex ed every year from 5th grade to the first year of university, and never did I feel as uncomfortable or disgusted as I did when I read Ohlman's fixation on pubescent breasts.

7 minutes ago, sockinshoe said:

Vaughn Ohlman talks about young women's bodies in the creepiest way. I did sex ed every year from 5th grade to the first year of university, and never did I feel as uncomfortable or disgusted as I did when I read Ohlman's fixation on pubescent breasts.

Even scarier, with zero self awareness, he has no idea he crossed the line.  

3 minutes ago, sockinshoe said:

I mean, can you imagine marrying a person based on who you were at 13? Yuck. 

Not just marrying someone based on who you were when you were 13 (that would be horrifying enough) but rather, marrying a person based on who your father thought you were when you were 13. :562479569aefe_32(14): 

That's not exactly a recipe for successful marriage

So V.O. claims the headship won't go the route of picking a suitable husband/wife for their spawn unless the child requests it. But where does the child get the idea that they want the parent to select their spouse, with zero input from the kid?  Chicken, meet egg.  Egg, meet chicken. 

48 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Since you mention the real world, one of my FB friends picked up on this story and wrote an indignant post. He got loads of response. This story is not just for us godless, Christian hating jezebels, or whatever he called us. They may have made a serious tactical error.

Just an update to my post, I'm keeping an eye on the FB post. A mutual friend, fundie-lite, is defending the whole thing, and naturally blaming the liberal press for over reacting. Of course, this is a guy who once posted vacation pictures from Ken Ham's Creation Museum. Here in NY, that is definately NOT  mainstream!

So V.O. claims the headship won't go the route of picking a suitable husband/wife for their spawn unless the child requests it. But where does the child get the idea that they want the parent to select their spouse, with zero input from the kid?  Chicken, meet egg.  Egg, meet chicken. 

So this remind me of the post he wrote about marrying off his daughter. One of the rule he laid down was that any person she expressed interest in would be automatically ruled out (nice right?).

So then they are at a church and she tells him that there's this guy following her around and the implication is that it's making her uncomfortable. So V is like, I know I told her the rule but maybe I will investigate this guy anyway. But she told him about the guy because she did NOT like him!

Anyway he ends up marrying her off to him without even letting them speak first but I found it really disturbing that he seemed to totally misinterpret the reason why she mentioned the guy to her father.

This guy has no business matchmaking.

13 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

No, they probably don't. But it's just one more example of the disturbing lack of discernment in the Extreme Reformed Community. As someone who has spent way too much time on their Facebook pages, I can tell you that scrolling through the average former VFer's friends is like, "Kinist... neo-Confederate... advocate of the execution of homosexuals... another kinist..." 

I mean, if you have 10 or more friends who are that fucked up, you can't blame me for thinking that maybe you're that fucked up. 

This!  Scary stuff.

I was so disappointed when they made the TR Facebook pages private.  Watching Natty D trying to rein in Vaughn Os of Reformed Circles used to make my day.  Perservero!

3 hours ago, uber frau said:

Refomed is a particular flavour of Christian tradition. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvinism

It's possible to be Reformed and not Fundie (although it's not very common,and the mere fact that ppl identify w 'Reformed' label is a red flag, IME.) The thing taht makes Fundies fundy is their belief that their doctrinal peculiarities are the Truth(TM)/the only valid interpretation and their lack of ability to consider that their POV might be skewed,or even that what they consider to be foundational to their belief system might not actually be that important in the scheme of things.   Fundies come in all sorts of varieties (w/in and outside of Christianity,or even religion) but this is the thing that ties them all together.

Well, that would make him "reformed" *and* fundie. He's just too ignorant and hard-necked (it's a biblical term!) to know he's fundie, as it appears.

So late in catching up with this thread.  It looks as though the Free Jinger and press attention got too much for Vaughnie-boy.  He's made everything private!

9 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

It's weird how they threw in a video of Tool at the end, especially as the video had nothing to do with Quiverful. 

And the title? "Duggar Church Leader"? I can't even imagine the Duggars and the Ohlmans in the same room, FFS. 

Typical sloppy reporting by the Daily Fail.  Also, I'm glad someone else noticed that the Raw Story article using the Duggars as clickbait was written by non other than V-y-c-k-i-e.  She's another  sloppy reporter.  Methinks, she must be pissed that Vaughnie gave FJ the credit.

It probably doesn't really matter to most people if the cult leaders are confused in the press.  There are probably only a few of us even on FJ who get persnickety over the different flavors of extreme fake "Christianity." 

57 minutes ago, Yogi said:

1 hour ago, Howl said:

So this remind me of the post he wrote about marrying off his daughter. One of the rule he laid down was that any person she expressed interest in would be automatically ruled out (nice right?).

The guy is sick. Seriously. There is something twisted and evil about his thinking. To assume godlike power over her that way -- it's satanic. He's putting himself in place of god, trying to ascend to the throne.

ETA: (and this is part of the reason I walked away from reformed thinking. Their god is a sick, twisted evil being who tortures people "for their good" and creates people for the express purpose of eternal torment. They may say he's "good" and "loving" and that he regrets every soul he has to condemn, but that doesn't jive with them saying he's all-powerful. Would somebody all-powerful arrange things so that he'd have billions of reasons for regret?

This stuff makes me crazy)

11 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I went to one of the most liberal, hippiest, free for all schools imaginable and we didn't learn about anal sex in middle school sex Ed, so I doubt five year olds were. Granted, it was a private school but I know the public schools in my area also weren't talking about anal sex either. You're much more likely to be evangelized by the Good News Club than learn about anal sex in the public schools where I'm from. It's clear this guy has no contact with actual brick and mortar schools.

The whole "anal sex taught to five year olds thing" is crazy extrapolation of a comprehensive sex education proposal in which sex ed would have begun in Kindergarten in U.S. public schools. 

Fundies, being duly reactionary, were like "sex and condoms for Kindergarteners!?!?" when the Kindergarten curriculum was very short and essentially covered physical boundaries like "don't let anyone but your parents or your doctor ever look at or touch your bathing suit parts" and "if someone makes you feel uncomfortable tell your mom and dad or someone you trust."

Having gone through the Fundie gossip circles, it's now classes instructing preschoolers about anal. :pb_rollseyes:

Mitt Romney pissed me off when he fed the flames in some of his 2012 campaign speeches. 

I have this Indian friend who wants to marry. So I asked him if he would find his own girl or if his family would make a match. He goes, 'well I tried it myself and it didn't work out, so I'll just let my parents choose.'

And I have other Indian friends who did not meet in person before their wedding and do not object to their arranged marriage. So I think if it is the cultural norm it is not necessarily bad. Everybody goes through the same akward period. Whole families are involved and support the couple and usually the young people are asked for their opinion and can veto. 

But in the West arranged marriages are the domain of the controlling creepy patriarchs, who just want to show how much authority they have. It is as natural as an American eating a thanksgiving turkey with chopsticks. 

3 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

I have this Indian friend who wants to marry. So I asked him if he would find his own girl or if his family would make a match. He goes, 'well I tried it myself and it didn't work out, so I'll just let my parents choose.'

And I have other Indian friends who did not meet in person before their wedding and do not object to their arranged marriage. So I think if it is the cultural norm it is not necessarily bad. Everybody goes through the same akward period. Whole families are involved and support the couple and usually the young people are asked for their opinion and can veto. 

But in the West arranged marriages are the domain of the controlling creepy patriarchs, who just want to show how much authority they have. It is as natural as an American eating a thanksgiving turkey with chopsticks. 

Many of my Indian co-workers feel that way, however they have all told me that they have the power to veto their parents choice and say no if they find something about the man/woman objectionable. These objections usually get raised VERY early on.

Former VFer Benjamin Berkompas has a “real” job with Home Depot now, but that doesn’t stop wife Lauren from being “friends” with teen trafficking advocate Laura Ohlman. Former Vision Forum spokesman Wesley Strackbein says: “It's great to see you taking dominion in your field, Ben.”

THEY ARE NO LONGER CONTAINED!!! :shock:

Jessica Guenther (daughter of James and Stacy McD.), Darby Sproul Stouffer (daughter of Spanky), and Elizabeth Botkin are also friends with Laura.

10 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

Conveniently leaving out that force need not be applied when there is previous assurance that objections can and will not be made. 

Also he said 'get them ready' to parents who's children are not ready. How does that correspond with his final statement in the disclaimer?

Also he is very conveniently declining giving a minimum age. He said 12 is too young. How about 13? 14? 15? I believe some states have very young ages for legal marriage, right? So is the legal minimum age his minimum age?And how is that not putting the law of God before the law of men in his screwed logic? 

Only New Hampshire (13 is minimum age with parental consent) and Virginia (under 16 only in cases of pregnancy, which wouldn't apply here) have minimum ages under 15. I assume that's why they claimed the "ideal" age was 15-18. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked this topic

Archived