IGNORED

Fundie Retreat to Marry Off Children ~ Vaughn Ohlman

Leftitinmysnood

5 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

I have this Indian friend who wants to marry. So I asked him if he would find his own girl or if his family would make a match. He goes, 'well I tried it myself and it didn't work out, so I'll just let my parents choose.'

And I have other Indian friends who did not meet in person before their wedding and do not object to their arranged marriage. So I think if it is the cultural norm it is not necessarily bad. Everybody goes through the same akward period. Whole families are involved and support the couple and usually the young people are asked for their opinion and can veto. 

But in the West arranged marriages are the domain of the controlling creepy patriarchs, who just want to show how much authority they have. It is as natural as an American eating a thanksgiving turkey with chopsticks. 

The difference is that your friend has seen what's "out there" himself and is in theory (only because I don't know your friend) older and educated. He also had the explicit choice and has given his parents informed consent. These kids may give "consent," but it's definitely not informed consent. 

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

If he believes that people as young as 15 should be allowed to marry, how does that not support child sexual activity? Obviously the children are expected to have sex once they marry, and start popping out babies before their eggs get too old.

But you see, he's redefined "child" and "adult". And he claims that his definitions come from the bible itself! That makes it all right! *bright smile*

19 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Thats kind of what we do best!

"Made my blog private" is a post count for a reason :my_angel:

I'm so proud of you all :D 

I don't think this is the last we will hear from Creepy Pedophilic Pimp TM, but this time he had to backpedal.

1 hour ago, Baabaablacksheep said:

LVN - Licensed Vocational Nurse

NURSE??? Why, that there's wimmin's work! Really, Vaughn... I thought you upheld Creation Order. Guess not!

21 minutes ago, refugee said:

But you see, he's redefined "child" and "adult". And he claims that his definitions come from the bible itself! That makes it all right! *bright smile*

Yes, many fundies like to claim that since the bible never mentioned adolescence or the like, it's completely irrelevant even in the modern world. Of course, that was a time when a woman was astronomically likely to die in childbirth, and almost no one lived past 35.

The bible also never mentioned computers or the internet, but that doesn't seem to be reason enough to get them to STFU.

19 hours ago, Dandruff said:

What's to stop some wealthy (enough to pay the tab) perv from signing up and seeing whose daddy he can charm?  I hope that care is taken to check "strangers" out carefully.

Man, they don't give a flying fuck. We already saw from the literature that as long as the dude can have sex, he can get married. And if the girl doesn't like him, well she just has to like him. 

This whole business about when a girl can get married is seriously fucking whack. I didn't finish growing my boobs until I was 19 or 20. And I wasn't ready to have sex until... get this... I had sex! At 24. I definitely could have had sex much earlier, but I didn't for a reason.

Also throughout reading this whole thing I've had the lyrics "Okay ladies, now let's get in formation" from Beyonce stuck in my head. You guys hopped on this and shut it down so fast. It makes me proud to be here.

Spoiler

tumblr_o259qgW6hv1ruvpwjo5_500.gif

47 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I'm so proud of you all :D 

I don't think this is the last we will hear from Creepy Pedophilic Pimp TM, but this time he had to backpedal.

I freaking love FJ!!!!! Having a role in getting Vaughn Ohlman's little perv-fest shut down is is right up there with Tool-0-Ween, in my book.

Sunlight is, always has been, and always will be the best disinfectant.

:group-hug:

This was an awesome flogging of a disgusting human being. =)

2 hours ago, Baabaablacksheep said:

LVN - Licensed Vocational Nurse

EMS - Emergency Medical Service (EMT)

I haven't personally verified that he holds either of these licenses, but someone commenting at LJF said he did.

Looked it up.  Yes, nursing license is current.

And making the facebook page private?  I guess he's happy with 13 likes.

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Re: bolded. Not a surprise that a patriarchal pervert like Vaughn Ohlman is also a chickenshit coward.

So he he went private to delete the conference description and his rant at FJ.  Then he added this bit at the top of the page.  I think he needs to enlarge the font.

Note: Contrary to vicious internet rumors we do not support or in any way condone child sexual activity of any sort, child marriage, or any other illegal activity. Nor do we support or condone forced marriages. We believe that parents should NOT seek a spouse for a child where that child has not actively sought for the parents to do so.

11 minutes ago, crawfishgirl said:

Maybe I'm not looking at the right thing, but I can access his website.  I still see all of his articles - http://letthemmarry.org/articles/

You're right, that's still up.  And he officially still says that he's looking for a venue to hold the retreat--that it's not off.

But the other one is locked down and now requires a login--I lost my linkage, I'll try to put it up here when I find it.

This one: justgetmarriedsite.wordpress.com
His main blog is apparently now private/invite only.  That or he intentionally blocked just me out :)

They will just go find ATI or Vision Forum property to hold this trip back to the 19th century while spouting from their misogynistic doctine. Have to laugh at their shock at the WTH reaction most rational people had to this idea. Although it will be chalked up to a bunch of no true Scotsman crap and staying true to Biblical principles.

5 minutes ago, infooverload said:

They will just go find ATI or Vision Forum property to hold this trip back to the 19th century while spouting from their misogynistic doctine. Have to laugh at their shock at the WTH reaction most rational people had to this idea. Although it will be chalked up to a bunch of no true Scotsman crap and staying true to Biblical principles.

Vaughn may well be looking for a new venue, but have you missed the news?

Vision Forum is no more! It has ceased to be! It has expired and gone to meet it's maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed it to the perch it''d be pushing up the daisies! It's metabolic processes are now history!  It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible!!

Vision Form is an EX-PARACHURCH!!

We are still following the lawsuits though.  Doug Phillips is still around conning veterans' groups and wanting to make movies.

Vision Forum is no more! It has ceased to be! It has expired and gone to meet it's maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed it to the perch it''d be pushing up the daisies! It's metabolic processes are now history!  It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible!!

We are still following the lawsuits though.  Doug Phillips is still around conning veterans' groups and wanting to make movies.

I had forgotten the Vision Forum had imploded when I wrote that. Although I am sure they will easily enough find a venue. What is the name of that camp which was featured on Worlds Toughest Parents? The camp is owned by friends of the Duggars. Did they really think the Salvation Army needed any more negative media. What worries me in the larger picture is how the truly reprehensible practices start on the fringes. Then slowly find their way into the mainstream evangelical circles. Courtship or dating with a purpose saw up ticks with the release of books like I Kissed Dating Goodbye.

I'm proud to have taken even a meagre part in my first-ever FJ guerilla action. :tw_blush:

13 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Now I have John Cleese's voice in my head. Thank you, Palimpsest!

image.jpg

20 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Vision Form is an EX-PARACHURCH!

It's not pinin'! It's past o'er!

I laughed so hard!

13 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

It's not pinin'! It's past o'er!

I laughed so hard!

Glad John Cleese and I amused you.  Someone doesn't like Monty Python though.  They down voted that post. 

On second thought, perhaps that person is a Doug Phillips fan! :lol:

33 minutes ago, infooverload said:

I had forgotten the Vision Forum had imploded when I wrote that. Although I am sure they will easily enough find a venue. What is the name of that camp which was featured on Worlds Toughest Parents? The camp is owned by friends of the Duggars. Did they really think the Salvation Army needed any more negative media. What worries me in the larger picture is how the truly reprehensible practices start on the fringes. Then slowly find their way into the mainstream evangelical circles. Courtship or dating with a purpose saw up ticks with the release of books like I Kissed Dating Goodbye.

No problem for forgetting the VF implosion.  Any excuse to quote the Dead Parrot Sketch is fine by me.

I'm sure Vaughn will find a venue but I have a feeling that not only the Sally Army will find him unacceptable.   If he's too weird for the Botkins ...

Not all Fundies are the same and there is a lot of squabbling about Doctrine.  For example, Reform and IFB don't always play nicely together especially when it comes to courtship.

You are right that sometimes these beliefs infiltrate mainstream evangelical circles but Vaughn is notorious.

12 hours ago, uber frau said:

I never thought I'd ever say this,but this guy make Lauren Chapman's story look slightly less creepy. (Very slightly,mind). At least she knew she was being married off more than 2hrs before she was sold.

Does anyone else feel that there's an element of out-Fundying the fundies here?

THIS! I thought this like 6 different times while I was reading this thread. Seriously, what the shit fuck am I reading right now? I never thought I would ever find someone who made the Chapman clusterfuck look less creepy!

9 hours ago, Yogi said:

So this remind me of the post he wrote about marrying off his daughter. One of the rule he laid down was that any person she expressed interest in would be automatically ruled out (nice right?).

WHAT THE SERIOUS FUCKING FUCK? AND HE MADE HIS DAUGHTER MARRY HIM? I CAN'T FUCKING EVEN. SEND HELP AND WINE!

Good game making this jackass go private FJ. What a horrible bit of human excrement.

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

NURSE??? Why, that there's wimmin's work! Really, Vaughn... I thought you upheld Creation Order. Guess not!

:pb_lol::pb_lol:

So, this big Godly Manly Man (tm), who espouses Proper Gender Roles, is not only a murse, but also uses a gender-bending penguin for his avatar?

WHAT THE SERIOUS FUCKING FUCK? AND HE MADE HIS DAUGHTER MARRY HIM? I CAN'T FUCKING EVEN. SEND HELP AND WINE!

Good game making this jackass go private FJ. What a horrible bit of human excrement.

Let me try to find the link.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked this topic

Archived