The Bates before they were so shiny and perfect including grifting

formergothardite

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, roddma said:

Here's a blast from the past

http://starcasm.net/archives/170065

Kelly looks so young and thin in that photo- The caption reads... " with 19 kids" plus Gil looks old, so it would not have been taken that long ago. Last couple of years have been hard on KJ-

That article was from 2011.In any case, they think eveyrone forgets how Lawson paid for groceries or how they used the ER for health care.

I really like the snark in this article.  Bolding mine. 

Gil Bates’s family tree-cutting business is the main source of family income. His sons work for him, but one of his sons actually started his own business. Their fourth child Lawson started a lawncare service, Lawson’s Lawncare, when he was just 13. Now his business does so well that he actually lends money to his family.

They buy things on sale, shop at second-hand stores, and get hand-me-downs from other familie. They also refuse any debt or loans (except within the family, apparently) and don’t even have auto-loans, or a mortgage on their large house.

One odd thing about they family’s financial plan is that they don’t have health insurance. In the 20/20 episode, Gil praised the care the family receives at the ER, but that doesn’t exactly explain how they pay ER bills, which can be quite high. They do receive free prenatal care from a faith-based clinic.

Yep, I like the snark as well!!

I'm wondering what happened to Lawsons Lawncare? Since he is famous now and all...

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

Yep, I like the snark as well!!

I'm wondering what happened to Lawsons Lawncare? Since he is famous now and all...

I thought Nathan is working in the lawn business.

Lawson was clearly a hard worker as a teen, but now he isn't working, is he? He is a singer but we don't see pictures of  concerts. He only publishes pictures singing with siblings or playing with nephews. It's very nice to be a good uncle, but he doesn't seem a 20 years old singer at all.

Or maybe he's still working in the lawncare.

(redacted quote with improper speculation)

Ten minutes before finally being able to leave the office you made me spit green tea all over my desk. Thank you ;-) :-)

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Lawson was clearly a hard worker as a teen, but now he isn't working, is he? He is a singer but we don't see pictures of  concerts. He only publishes pictures singing with siblings or playing with nephews. It's very nice to be a good uncle, but he doesn't seem a 20 years old singer at all.

I'm a bit torn on Lawson. He opens his mouth on social media and I get ragey... But he has proven himself to be an extremely hard worker. If he wants to pursue music then I guess now would be a good time to do it since he isn't married with kids. Hopefully he has a backup plan in case it doesn't work out the way he hopes. It's always good to be prepared. 

He spent his teen years working hard to support his siblings since his lazy parents wouldn't. I do cut him some slack in spending time focusing on himself right now. 

I like lawson. Until he opens his mouth, remember the scalia thing? Such a waste, he could have been a great guy had he been raised by normal parents.

5 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I like lawson. Until he opens his mouth, remember the scalia thing? Such a waste, he could have been a great guy had he been raised by normal parents.

That could really apply to all of the Bates kids really. Imagine what they could all be if they had been raised by normal parents. Went to a normal school, went to a real college and be able to have real careers.  Each kid could have had so much potential. Unless things change that'll be Bradley, Carson and Allie too. Cute kids never allowed to reach their potential.

7 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

That could really apply to all of the Bates kids really. Imagine what they could all be if they had been raised by normal parents. Went to a normal school, went to a real college and be able to have real careers.  Each kid could have had so much potential. Unless things change that'll be Bradley, Carson and Allie too. Cute kids never allowed to reach their potential.

Couldn't that apply to 99% of the fundie kids we talk about here? You are right - it's really sad that there is already a next generation that can never reach their potential.

4 hours ago, ophelia said:

Couldn't that apply to 99% of the fundie kids we talk about here? You are right - it's really sad that there is already a next generation that can never reach their potential.

Very true. Thinking about Josh's potential really kills me. I can't help but wonder who he could have been had he been raised by different parents - would he still have been a child molesting asshat? Or could he have been a real productive member of society?  Or who his sisters may have been had they been raised by parents that give two shits about protecting them. 

On 6/2/2016 at 7:09 AM, Melissa1977 said:

Nathan is taking over the tree business. Trace is taking over for Lawson as he pursues his "music career."

BEST BANANNA PUDDING (Shirley Scates)

2 Large pkg, Instant vanilla pudding

milk

1 (8oz.) cool whip

1 (8oz.) sour cream

This is offensive.

14 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

This is offensive.

Yes. Personally, I think banana is a fruit best eaten alone.

6 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Yes. Personally, I think banana is a fruit best eaten alone.

I've had good banana pudding but it doesn't have instant pudding in it. Ick.

That is not banana pudding. That is slop. My grandma is rolling in her grave. She made the best banana pudding.

6 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

That is not banana pudding. That is slop. My grandma is rolling in her grave. She made the best banana pudding.

Did your Gran bake her banana pudding? My fam is split between bake it or chill it.

10 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

Did your Gran bake her banana pudding? My fam is split between bake it or chill it.

Not who you asked, but our family chills it. So the idea of baking it is interesting. But I LOVE our family's banana pudding haha. 

I would like to see one recipe of theirs that doesn't start with instant this, boxed this, or canned this. But who am I kidding? That recipe doesn't exist.

58 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I would like to see one recipe of theirs that doesn't start with instant this, boxed this, or canned this. But who am I kidding? That recipe doesn't exist.

I think some of these processed food companies secretly subsidize fundie families.

Most of their recipes sound nasty.

23 hours ago, purple_summer said:

I've had good banana pudding but it doesn't have instant pudding in it. Ick.

Ice cold banana pudding is delish, but no sour cream please. Just Nilla cookies, pudding, and bananas. In layers . That is all.

Archived