IGNORED

The Bates before they were so shiny and perfect including grifting

formergothardite

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Head cheese! Aka the bits of meat that remain in a gelatinous goo, after you boil the head of an animal for several hours. I'd personally say it's an acquired taste...

Holy shit, so that's why it's called head cheese?? I worked in a deli during my youth, and we frequently debated the origin of such a product. Along with chicken roll, dutch loaf, and taylor ham. A little too exotic for those of us raised on skinless chicken breasts and sliced turkey.

20 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I need 3 more edits before I can touch the Bates's page. Anyone know of any page that needs an edit lol?

try going to your hometown's page, or somewhere nearby.  you can add some little factoids that the general public might not know.

I was bored one night and was looking up random towns in West Texas, and one of them (wish I could remember the name) looked like it was written by a stoner.  funny on the surface, but made no sense in the end.

On 5/5/2016 at 2:42 PM, picklepizzas said:

Not quoting picklespizza, just a technical glitch that has stopped me from replying to this thread (hopefully this post makes it go away).  

Bill Gothard's wiki page is squeaky clean.  Can our Wiki editor here at least edit the page that tie him to the Bates and Duggar families?  Maybe add a section about famous followers (if you do that throw Taliban Dan into it too).  

TFDW is mentioned on his page, dare we bring up his BIL?

So I just read the Wiki for IBLP.  Again squeaky clean.

Also (down a Wiki rabbit hole), the Ashley Madison scandal is not on the Duggar family wiki.  If you're looking for pages to edit.....

Pretty sure I've heard that IBLP/Gothard have people who work to keep their pages squeaky clean. 

14 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Hog's head cheese is some good shit.  

My mama loved that stuff, the hot version. My mama also liked tripe, chitterlings, neck bones, chicken backs, and various other pig parts. She is from Arkansas. She never made us kids eat any of this and I never did. Mom did corrupt my daughter, who loves chitterlings, LOL.

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

My mama loved that stuff, the hot version. My mama also liked tripe, chitterlings, neck bones, chicken backs, and various other pig parts. She is from Arkansas. She never made us kids eat any of this and I never did. Mom did corrupt my daughter, who loves chitterlings, LOL.

Pork feet (paws?) are considered a gourmet dish in my country. There are also dishes including pork ears, fried pork snout, bull tail, tripe stew and snails. Not my cup of tea, with the exception of bull tail, which I find delicious.

I understand some food can be considered disgusting (snails!!!) but there's a difference between this kind of disgust and the disgust about canned chicken o canned ham. When you prepare a tradicional tripe stew for example, or a snails and rabbit pot, you're using fresh meat and you cook slow and you're eating healthy, which is the opposite of eating a canned chicken with tater tots.

11 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Pork feet (paws?) are considered a gourmet dish in my country. There are also dishes including pork ears, fried pork snout, bull tail, tripe stew and snails. Not my cup of tea, with the exception of bull tail, which I find delicious.

May I ask what country you are in? Pork feet are called pig feet here, and many southerners like them pickled. We have oxtails here, is that similar to bull tails?

My mom will be 90 in July, so eating this way hasn't hurt her.

I've never cooked them, or eaten them, but I'm pretty sure they're called pigs trotters in Australia.  My grandmother used to love a good bit of tripe.

32 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

May I ask what country you are in? Pork feet are called pig feet here, and many southerners like them pickled. We have oxtails here, is that similar to bull tails?

My mom will be 90 in July, so eating this way hasn't hurt her.

I'm from Barcelona, Spain. 

Here the pig feet are slowly cooked, sometimes filled with vegetables or even prawns (this is the gourmet way, not the tradicional one). Nowadays people don't use to cook it, it's more a restaurant dish.

Bull tail is the tail of a bull or a cow and is also slow cooked like a stew, it's very flavoured and tasty. It's not very common in Barcelona, it's more a Southern (Andalucia) dish.

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

I understand some food can be considered disgusting (snails!!!) but there's a difference between this kind of disgust and the disgust about canned chicken o canned ham. When you prepare a tradicional tripe stew for example, or a snails and rabbit pot, you're using fresh meat and you cook slow and you're eating healthy, which is the opposite of eating a canned chicken with tater tots.

My Polish grandma always had "pickled pigs feet" in the refrigerator, and while I don't remember eating them as a child, I must have, because they were my main craving when I was pregnant with my daughter! And peppermint stick ice cream!  LOL! 

48 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I'm from Barcelona, Spain. 

Oh for a moment I thought I found another Italian FJer! We also eat all those things, I like them all but the snails, my grandfather was renowned for how he cooked snails but I can't appreciate them.

2 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Oh for a moment I thought I found another Italian FJer! We also eat all those things, I like them all but the snails, my grandfather was renowned for how he cooked snails but I can't appreciate them.

As a little kid, I once saw the slow death of a poor bunch of snails in a casserole and I've never been able to eat them.

The most typical snail recipe is cooking them at a barbacue end eating with ailoli (a kind of mayonnaise with garlic). 

I love snails (escargot). So delicious in garlic butter with some really good baguette. Yum! (I'm from Germany, but grew up in an area where escargot are commonly eaten, close to the French border. It's not at all common in other parts of Germany, so I haven't actually eaten any in quite a while.)

Please do not summon Steve! There are rumors that people blocked @OkTobeTakei just to avoid seeing her avatar. 

7 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I'm Cajun.  I have eaten many varieties of organ meat from both wild game and livestock.  But chitterlings / chitlins and tripe, I have not.  I absolutely love fried chicken livers, fried frog legs, and fried hog cracklings.  I am gaining weight just thinking about what I'd eat if I were in Louisiana!

37 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I'm Cajun.  I have eaten many varieties of organ meat from both wild game and livestock.  But chitterlings / chitlins and tripe, I have not.  I absolutely love fried chicken livers, fried frog legs, and fried hog cracklings.  I am gaining weight just thinking about what I'd eat if I were in Louisiana!

Mama also ate fried chicken livers and gizzards, cracklings too. She also enjoyed tongue.

9 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Bull tail is the tail of a bull or a cow and is also slow cooked like a stew, it's very flavoured and tasty. It's not very common in Barcelona, it's more a Southern (Andalucia) dish.

Yep, pretty common around here. Not my cup of tea, but it's on the menu of most restaurants

Are gator nuggets just a Florida thing, or do other areas - specifically Tennessee where the Bateses are - serve that as well? My uncle ordered it once when we were at a restaurant on vacation, and it was very strange.

1 hour ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Are gator nuggets just a Florida thing, or do other areas - specifically Tennessee where the Bateses are - serve that as well? My uncle ordered it once when we were at a restaurant on vacation, and it was very strange.

I've only had gator in Florida, Georgia and Louisiana. Gator is good stuff if prepared well.

I think almost every country has their own dishes that are "disgusting". We have different types of preserves made from strange parts, pig trotters, pölsa (often scrap meat including the lungs of the animal and barley), blood bread, blood pudding, blood pancakes. I enjoy eating different dishes based on chicken liver and love homemade liver pate and one of my favorite meats is tongue. Cooked properly for a long time the meat almost melts in your mouth and is great as sandwich meat or for just eating as it is. Reindeer, moose, cow and sheep are excellent "tongue animals", pig's tongue is a little bland but perfectly edible. As my iron is low right now due to pregnancy I have eaten a lot of blood bread. You can also eat the blood bread as part of a meal with pork and a type of white sauce. They you put the bread in hot water to make it soft. 

23 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

This does sound similar to oxtail. Oxen and cattle are first cousins, aren't  they?

20 hours ago, JillyO said:
51 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

This does sound similar to oxtail. Oxen and cattle are first cousins, aren't  they?

Yes they are.

And sorry @SilverBeach, something didn't worked when quoting you.

Archived