IGNORED

The Bates before they were so shiny and perfect including grifting

formergothardite

21 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Erika Shupe identify as Quiverfull?  I remember seeing the term on her blog (I could be wrong).

I really can't stand Erika Shupe!  If you can find where she says that she is Quiverfull do post the link and I'll correct my memory.

The usual response of these families is to flap their eyelashes innocently, claim ignorance of the quiverfull movement, and yatter on about "as many children as God gives us" or "children are like flowers."  They don't want to admit to breeding Arrows for the War - for obvious reasons.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Palimpsest said:

I really can't stand Erika Shupe!  If you can find where she says that she is Quiverfull do post the link and I'll correct my memory.

The usual response of these families is to flap their eyelashes innocently, claim ignorance of the quiverfull movement, and yatter on about "as many children as God gives us" or "children are like flowers."  They don't want to admit to breeding Arrows for the War - for obvious reasons.

It has been a few years, but at one point her blog had a bunch of words that described her family as part of the blog's design.  I thought I saw Quiverfull as one of them.  This was 2013/2014 when I first discovered her (and later this site).

I can't stand Erika Shupe either.  While I feel that many of the fundies (well the mothers) we talk about are crazy, but deep down love their kids and want the best for them, I can't say the same about Erika.  

26 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Arrows like.. these? I was kind of wondering why they had arrow-shaped cookies 

32E2B2BE00000578-0-image-m-23_1459926134

3 minutes ago, blinni said:

Yeah, the same thing crossed my mind when I watched that episode, but I'm pretty sure those cookies are at least partly based on arrows being trendy right now. I've seen a lot of stylish minimalist baby parties use them, and they're also a super popular tattoo design.

The fact that there's a biblical connection probably doesn't escape Sierra & Co. Although they'll never directly call themselves "quiverfull" or their kids "arrows," no attention is bad attention with these folks. At least the older ones with a web presence have to know that sort of thing gets people chatting.

In terms of weird foods, any meat out of a can totally squicks me out.... however, my weirdest taste preference is that I don't like pate at all, but really like kidneys. I realize they totally taste similar and I never meet anyone with this preference. It's a texture thing.

In my experience, if you put anything in a sausage with the right spices, most Western folks will scarf it on up.

13 minutes ago, blinni said:

I thought they were phallic symbols :wink:

19 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

I thought they were phallic symbols :wink:

You people have no respect.  Cookie arrows are very important! :)

We haven't talked about her much recently but the truly repulsive Nancy Campbell of Above Rubies probably comes the closest to admitting to be Quiverfull.  People are more cautious today.

You must protect your wombs, ladies.  They are weapons against Satan!  Read it and weep.

http://aboverubies.org/index.php/component/content/article?id=321:motherhood-protect-your-...

3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

You people have no respect.  Cookie arrows are very important! :)

We haven't talked about her much recently but the truly repulsive Nancy Campbell of Above Rubies probably comes the closest to admitting to be Quiverfull.  People are more cautious today.

You must protect your wombs, ladies.  They are weapons against Satan!  Read it and weep.

http://aboverubies.org/index.php/component/content/article?id=321:motherhood-protect-your-...

I nearly wept reading this particular gem:

Did you know that both the Pill and the IUD are abortifacients? Did you know that more babies are killed in the womb through the IUD and the Pill than the holocaust of abortion? Your doctor doesn’t tell you this. Your pastor or minister doesn’t tell you this. Thus, many God-fearing people are ignorantly aborting their own babies. The womb, which is a sanctuary to nurture and protect life has become an extermination camp. Satan is having a heyday!

I find the mental image of Satan having a "heyday" in wombs morbidly comical. Ms. Campbell is clearly also a Licensed Medical Professional as she boldly states that "Most disorders of the womb can be repaired without a full hysterectomy. Only cancer or emergencies should necessitate such radical surgery." Satan is making women have unnecessary hysterectomies, that rascal!

27 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I nearly wept reading this particular gem:

I find the mental image of Satan having a "heyday" in wombs morbidly comical. Ms. Campbell is clearly also a Licensed Medical Professional as she boldly states that "Most disorders of the womb can be repaired without a full hysterectomy. Only cancer or emergencies should necessitate such radical surgery." Satan is making women have unnecessary hysterectomies, that rascal!

I've always liked the prayer:

"Dear Father, I come to you in Jesus” name. I confess I have not received my womb as a gift from You. I have ignored the power of my womb and my womanly functions. I repent. Please forgive me and cleanse me in Jesus” name.

Lord, I accept my womb as a gift from You. I accept the way You created me. I embrace it. I want to fulfill Your purposes for me as a woman.

In the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, I renounce all negative words, even jokingly, that I have spoken about my womb, about menstruation, about pregnancy and about my womanly functions. I renounce any curse that has been placed upon my womb or reproductive organs from my parents, grandparents or great grandparents on both sides of my family.

I ask that You will  now cleanse my womb and cover it with your blessing.

I receive your blessing in the name of Jesus. Amen."

Sorry, Nancy.  If I accept the womb God (who I don't believe in) gave me - then I also accept that he gave me a lemon.  Or does that mean my womb was cursed by my relatives?  She's certifiable.

8 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I was watching this show years ago, I can't remember what it was, but it was some kind of cultures around the world/history type show.  They interviewed this guy who when growing up was very poor, so a main staple of food was the rats they would catch in the fields around his village.  He had grown up, moved away, made some money, but he said that no matter what he could afford for food now, he always remembered rat fondly and still quite enjoyed it. It really made me stop and think about things I thought were strange and how they really weren't all that strange to other people.

I will try almost anything foodwise. Just don't tell me what I'm eating before I try it. I will probably never try fried bug on a stick if it looks like a fried bug on a stick. Blindfold me, and I'll be great! :pb_smile: Also oysters. In stuffing, sure, but on a shell, just no...

Hide contents

It's snot - on a shell.  (Just in case the visual is too much :pb_razz:)

Kinda like steamers...I can get the shell up to my mouth, but when I look at the contents.  And your description is spot on.

Before dh moved to this country, in S. America several families kept capybaras tethered to their roofs for meat.  A capybara is like a giant guinea pig.  Thank goodness there's nothing like that here.  Although some people like muskrat.

On 5/16/2016 at 10:56 AM, BeccaGrim said:

What other disgusting things come in a can? I didn't even know they made canned chicken. 

In the UK you can buy hot dogs in a jar...

22 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

In my 10+ years of Fundie and mega family watching I don't remember a single person who admitted to 1. being aware of the Quiverfull Movement and 2. being a part of it.

I'm tempted to search the FJ archives.  I do remember seeing a couple of Bates videos. :)

Someone I follow on Instagram uses the hashtag #sendingoutarrows on photos of her 8 kids, so it's hard to imagine it's got a different meaning. Someone else, a friend of a friend, who has four adopted children and two IVF-assisted children, but who I think would have as many as she could if she could, has their names tattooed in arrows on her foot. She's religious but it's hard to say from IG if she's fundie. I don't actually pay much attention to her posts to say one way or the other.

Yet another extremely religious (and probably fundie) woman has 8 kids (4 adopted) with another two adoptions in progress. She's the one that scares me the most. A year or so ago she was holding these prayer-a-thons for a baby in China, where the group she was raising money for basically forced the parents to convert to Christianity in order to give the baby any money for treatment, then sent them back to their remote village to try to convert more people with the assurance that the more people they talked into praying for their baby, the more likely she would survive. There haven't been any updates for a year despite her urging her followers to donate.

Now she's adopting not one but two potentially disabled toddlers from China (three of the kids she's adopted have disabilities/special needs of varying kinds) and continuously asking for more money. It's creepy. The thing is, the kids she does have seem to be happy and well cared for and she's always taking one off for treatment/testing/surgery/etc. But it still seems sketchy to me.

Her account is private so I assume it's not appropriate to post her name or account name or anything.

2 minutes ago, just...sare said:

Someone I follow on Instagram uses the hashtag #sendingoutarrows on photos of her 8 kids, so it's hard to imagine it's got a different meaning. Someone else, a friend of a friend, who has four adopted children and two IVF-assisted children, but who I think would have as many as she could if she could, has their names tattooed in arrows on her foot. She's religious but it's hard to say from IG if she's fundie. I don't actually pay much attention to her posts to say one way or the other.

I snipped for space not because I didn't read the whole thing. :)

Yes, I know and I agree.  A lot of people use the terminology and are obviously Quiverfull followers to informed observers.  We are talking at cross purposes though.

My point is that when these mothers are asked outright if they are Quiverfull they deny it - and all knowledge of the "Movement."  Exactly like Kelly Bates has done.

Here's a short Kathryn Joyce* article on the Quiverfull Movement - and how they like to couch it in terms of true Christianity and being "living sacrifices."  They occasionally slip and talk about "battle stations" but they aren't Quiverfull. Oh no! Perish the thought!   http://www.thenation.com/article/arrows-war/

* I really recommend Kathryn Joyce's books to newer members who haven't yet read them.  Her latest book is the Child Catchers - very relevant to your example of the woman adopting multiple children from China: http://kathrynjoyce.com/

Oh, no, @Palimpsest, sorry, I was agreeing with you! I'm sure if asked, the first lady mentioned would deny being quiverfull, despite using the terminology. I'm pretty sure the second mentioned follows the ideology as well without ever explicitly acknowleding it. And the third, if she hasn't heard of it, would probably love it.

The DUggars and Bateses may deny being QF, but they are indirectly involved as some of their beliefs come from ppl who are QF proponents.

And I don't believe for one minute any Bates or Duggar kids choose how they handle courting.

Is 'Satan having a Heyday in my Womb" already a post count? :thumbsup:

I'm sure it is; that's far too good to have escaped your collective evil eyes and snarkability!! 

On 5/20/2016 at 8:02 PM, blinni said:

Off topic but Joy's hair is my hair goals.

Also, IIRC, the lady they were making these little subliminal quiverfull cookies is pretty fundie lite (very much the "gonna go take selfies with bemused/bored Tanzanian children who are only putting up with the weird Mzungu because there's free food and they get out of chores/school for a few hours in exchange for listening to the weird Mzungu rant about Jesus" White Girl In Africa, wears pants, runs a business that doesn't involve pyramid schemes or dipping cheap fruit in melted Hershey bars and charging $80 for it). Are the cookies a subtle way of getting her to follow the fold and stray no more?

On 5/20/2016 at 3:34 PM, Palimpsest said:

I've always liked the prayer:

Sorry, Nancy.  If I accept the womb God (who I don't believe in) gave me - then I also accept that he gave me a lemon.  Or does that mean my womb was cursed by my relatives?  She's certifiable.

OK, I believe in God but that womb prayer cracked me up. Really? Thanks for posting her nonsense, I needed to laugh after that truly despicable Ken Anderson crap. Seriously, what is wrong with these people? 

On 5/22/2016 at 8:53 AM, SilverBeach said:

OK, I believe in God but that womb prayer cracked me up. Really? Thanks for posting her nonsense, I needed to laugh after that truly despicable Ken Anderson crap. Seriously, what is wrong with these people? 

This is Nancy Campbell in action recently  - you might want to have a barf bucket handy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n08n8kb1atotgni/AJ%205Feb16%20Campbell.mp4?dl=0

The aggressive "sweet" smiles and general creepiness send shudders down my spine - you have been warned. 

And now back to the Bateseses. :)

On 5/21/2016 at 10:30 AM, Palimpsest said:

\Here's a short Kathryn Joyce* article on the Quiverfull Movement - and how they like to couch it in terms of true Christianity and being "living sacrifices."  They occasionally slip and talk about "battle stations" but they aren't Quiverfull. Oh no! Perish the thought!   http://www.thenation.com/article/arrows-war/

* I really recommend Kathryn Joyce's books to newer members who haven't yet read them.  Her latest book is the Child Catchers - very relevant to your example of the woman adopting multiple children from China: http://kathrynjoyce.com/

I haven't read the Child Catchers book but the Quiverfull book is amazing.  I checked it out of my parents' library (mine does not have it) and read it in a day.   Then my dad proceeded to read it and his jaw dropped (sadly, mine did not).  

I want to read Child Catchers but am looking for a library that has it.

On 5/25/2016 at 5:04 AM, Palimpsest said:

The aggressive "sweet" smiles and general creepiness send shudders down my spine - you have been warned. 

Her expressions are downright clown creepy. The grandson is named Zadok. His parents must have been steeped in the stew bestowing upon him such a hardcore OT name.

On 5/3/2016 at 3:05 PM, patsymae said:

I don't understand the Aldis thing. Is it regional maybe? The Aldi stores I've been to in central Jersey don't even sell cream of crap soup that I've noticed. I buy wild-caught salmon, 100 percent grass-fed beef, organic cereal and yogurt, natural cheeses, free range eggs and fair trade coffee there. I like their pesto and hummus, and they don't sell discounted brand-name process foods by the case. Just because they are in lower-income neighborhoods doesn't mean everybody who shops there eats crap all the time.

Same! I'm in NYC, Aldi has a great selection of organic tomatos, veggies, and their cheese selection is my favorite thing ever. If I do buy cans for like tomato sauce, they have an organic can line.

Sierra seems to have a fixation with arrows.  If you can't see, all the kids have arrows on their shirts that say "Strong and Courageous".  :pb_rollseyes:

1 hour ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Sierra seems to have a fixation with arrows.  If you can't see, all the kids have arrows on their shirts that say "Strong and Courageous".  :pb_rollseyes:

Wasn't Courageous a Kirk Cameron movie?  Maybe these shirts are promo materials for that.

6 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

And of course she couldn't buy a white T-shirt for the girl, she had to buy a pink one. God forbid someone could consider a transgender thing to dress a girl like her brothers.

9 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Wasn't Courageous a Kirk Cameron movie?  Maybe these shirts are promo materials for that.

It's part of a bible verse: Joshua 1:9.  Someone on Etsy sells those tshirts.

I'm guessing that there even is a marked for tee shirts with snippets from the worst Bible verses there is on Etsy. Maybe I should start to sell some. Not having a Bible, I can't find any examples, but in the line of "Be true to GOD" (unless He will curse your progenity until the 7th generation). Off course, complete with citation. 

Archived