IGNORED

The Bates before they were so shiny and perfect including grifting

formergothardite

1 hour ago, elliha said:

I think almost every country has their own dishes that are "disgusting". We have different types of preserves made from strange parts, pig trotters, pölsa (often scrap meat including the lungs of the animal and barley), blood bread, blood pudding, blood pancakes. I enjoy eating different dishes based on chicken liver and love homemade liver pate and one of my favorite meats is tongue. Cooked properly for a long time the meat almost melts in your mouth and is great as sandwich meat or for just eating as it is. Reindeer, moose, cow and sheep are excellent "tongue animals", pig's tongue is a little bland but perfectly edible. As my iron is low right now due to pregnancy I have eaten a lot of blood bread. You can also eat the blood bread as part of a meal with pork and a type of white sauce. They you put the bread in hot water to make it soft. 

How could I forget tongues, livers, brains and pork bloody sausages! Bloody sausages are still popular, but tongues and brains are sold no more I think. Once I tasted deep-fried lamb brain and it was pretty good.

In Spain it is said that you can eat all parts of a pig. In old times every single family had a pig at home.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

How could I forget tongues, livers, brains and pork bloody sausages! Bloody sausages are still popular, but tongues and brains are sold no more I think. Once I tasted deep-fried lamb brain and it was pretty good.

In Spain it is said that you can eat all parts of a pig. In old times every single family had a pig at home.

I think they all are still sold. My mother cooks them sometimes, she specially likes cow tongues, i prefer to eat other things lol but when i was little and didnt knew what they were i eat them without problem, they do taste good/like regular meat.

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

In mom's youth, pigs were slaughtered every  fall at their home in rural Arkansas, right at the Louisiana border. It was considered hog killing season. My grandmother could not adapt to city life when her children  all moved to Chicago (no hog killing), and ended up moving back to Arkansas.

Mad cow disease put the kibosh on beef brains , but pork brains are still sold, I think . Mama ate those too.

I find food commonalities across cultures and continents very interested. 

I have been scrolling through their old blog and Gil seems to wear an very high number of mock turtle necks. It was not a good look for him. 

I also wonder what happened to all the cowboy videos Lawson made when he was going through his Christian cowboy actor phase. 

On 5/18/2016 at 5:39 AM, formergothardite said:

Pretty sure I've heard that IBLP/Gothard have people who work to keep their pages squeaky clean. 

Of course they do because god forbid they put those resources to feeding the poor. 

30 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

In mom's youth, pigs were slaughtered every  fall at their home in rural Arkansas, right at the Louisiana border. It was considered hog killing season. My grandmother could not adapt to city life when her children  all moved to Chicago (no hog killing), and ended up moving back to Arkansas.

Mad cow disease put the kibosh on beef brains , but pork brains are still sold, I think . Mama ate those too.

I find food commonalities across cultures and continents very interested. 

Listen, we can eat all sorts of things. The question as to whether or not we should is another subject altogether. 

What about mountain oysters? I used to work with a large animal vet. When we were castrating we kept a bucket of salt water to throw the testicles in because the sometimes the owners liked to slice and fry them up. I passed on that one!

51 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Listen, we can eat all sorts of things. The question as to whether or not we should is another subject altogether. 

Everytime I watch Andrew Zimmern, with his affinity for insects and other global foodstuffs not common here, I ponder this question myself.  There is tremendous cultural variation as to what is considered food, and what isn't , so I try not to judge what people in other parts of the world eat, which often has socioeconomic history behind it. That's true even in the south USA where my mom grew up.

I always read the discussion pages on Wiki, you can see what the controversies are and who is fighting for control of the page. People can also be reported for slanted postings . It gets real interesting sometimes .

14 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Are gator nuggets just a Florida thing, or do other areas - specifically Tennessee where the Bateses are - serve that as well? My uncle ordered it once when we were at a restaurant on vacation, and it was very strange.

No gators in Tennessee.  That's a coastal swamp situation.  I have eaten alligator growing up in Louisiana, and it really does taste like chicken.  Heh.   Wasn't a dish I ran across often, but there are people who fry alligator or make alligator sauce piquante.  I've seen people barbeque them on spits at LSU/Florida tailgates. 

I gagged at the pix of the frogs/toads the kids are supposedly catching and eating on the Naugler thread (sorry to hijack anything!)  If I had to kill whatever meat I ate, I'd be a vegetarian.

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

I gagged at the pix of the frogs/toads the kids are supposedly catching and eating on the Naugler thread (sorry to hijack anything!)  If I had to kill whatever meat I ate, I'd be a vegetarian.

That is what I always say. Total city girl here, no up front and personal contact with my food. I don't eat much meat anyway.

14 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Everytime I watch Andrew Zimmern, with his affinity for insects and other global foodstuffs not common here, I ponder this question myself.  There is tremendous cultural variation as to what is considered food, and what isn't , so I try not to judge what people in other parts of the world eat, which often has socioeconomic history behind it. That's true even in the south USA where my mom grew up.

I always read the discussion pages on Wiki, you can see what the controversies are and who is fighting for control of the page. People can also be reported for slanted postings . It gets real interesting sometimes .

I remember watching the program when Zimmern came to Louisiana. He made such a big deal out of eating squirrel gumbo and fried alligator. My husband and I just looked at each other and shrugged. Neither of us could fathom what was so "bizarre" about that.

I was just browsing on the Bateseseesss old website and there was one comment from Kelly that stood out. I thought lying is a sin but apparently Kelly is allowed to...

By Gil, July 25, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Dear Anna,
We do not know what the quiverful movement is and are not associated with any movement of any sort, so I can’t speak for that group. There are a wide variety of opinions of what courtship is and what it should or should not involve. We are almost leary of using that term because it has become associated with so many opposing opinions. However, we used it because it does show that we’re choosing a different route than traditional dating. As for guidelines, there are a lot of suggestions people make, but the decision ultimately will rest on Zach and Sarah. We feel that the couple should spend time in prayer seeking God’s will for themselves, along with listening to counsel from others. Zach and Sarah chose to not hold hands during courtship, not because of any movement or any suggestions, but because they thought it could help them focus on learning to communicate with one another first. One thing we have come to realize is that every body is different… each example of marriage in the Bible is very different. Josh and Anna chose to hold hands after courtship and during their engagement. Zach and Sarah may gleam insight from the examples of others, but they will have to seek God for direction for each step along the way! Love, Kelly

I love tongue! Love love love, my favourite meat, always been since when I was a child :D

20 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

This reminded me of an old joke.  A guy went to the restaurant and the maitre suggests a dish of tongue. The guy refuses saying he is irked by the idea of a food that has been into an animal's mouth. The maitre asks what he wants instead. "Simply a hard boiled egg"

20 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I also wonder what happened to all the cowboy videos Lawson made when he was going through his Christian cowboy actor phase. 

This must have been before I figured out who the bates were, was he actually trying to be an actor like he tries to be a "country singer" now? lol

44 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

This must have been before I figured out who the bates were, was he actually trying to be an actor like he tries to be a "country singer" now? lol

Well he bought the horse they neglected to use as a prop in his Christian cowboy movies and went to Arizona to "scout" locations. He also filmed a bit at their house. 

8 hours ago, Dutch Cookie said:

I was just browsing on the Bateseseesss old website and there was one comment from Kelly that stood out. I thought lying is a sin but apparently Kelly is allowed to...

By Gil, July 25, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Dear Anna,
We do not know what the quiverful movement is and are not associated with any movement of any sort, so I can’t speak for that group. There are a wide variety of opinions of what courtship is and what it should or should not involve. We are almost leary of using that term because it has become associated with so many opposing opinions. However, we used it because it does show that we’re choosing a different route than traditional dating. As for guidelines, there are a lot of suggestions people make, but the decision ultimately will rest on Zach and Sarah. We feel that the couple should spend time in prayer seeking God’s will for themselves, along with listening to counsel from others. Zach and Sarah chose to not hold hands during courtship, not because of any movement or any suggestions, but because they thought it could help them focus on learning to communicate with one another first. One thing we have come to realize is that every body is different… each example of marriage in the Bible is very different. Josh and Anna chose to hold hands after courtship and during their engagement. Zach and Sarah may gleam insight from the examples of others, but they will have to seek God for direction for each step along the way! Love, Kelly

"We do not know what the quiverful movement is and are not associated with any movement of any sort...."  WOW.  That is just blatantly false!

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Well he bought the horse they neglected to use as a prop in his Christian cowboy movies and went to Arizona to "scout" locations. He also filmed a bit at their house. 

I always wondered whether he was inspired by the VF interns' cowboy videos or by being filmed himself.  Have they wiped Lawson's videos too?

39 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

We do not know what the quiverful movement is and are not associated with any movement of any sort...."  WOW.  That is just blatantly false!

Didn't the Duggars say something like this too? 

11 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Have they wiped Lawson's videos too?

They apparently used to have a Youtube channel, but I can't find any of the videos that were on it. I bet that was a goldmine of snark. 

In my 10+ years of Fundie and mega family watching I don't remember a single person who admitted to 1. being aware of the Quiverfull Movement and 2. being a part of it.

3 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

They apparently used to have a Youtube channel, but I can't find any of the videos that were on it. I bet that was a goldmine of snark. 

I'm tempted to search the FJ archives.  I do remember seeing a couple of Bates videos. :)

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:15 AM, SilverBeach said:

I was watching this show years ago, I can't remember what it was, but it was some kind of cultures around the world/history type show.  They interviewed this guy who when growing up was very poor, so a main staple of food was the rats they would catch in the fields around his village.  He had grown up, moved away, made some money, but he said that no matter what he could afford for food now, he always remembered rat fondly and still quite enjoyed it. It really made me stop and think about things I thought were strange and how they really weren't all that strange to other people.

I will try almost anything foodwise. Just don't tell me what I'm eating before I try it. I will probably never try fried bug on a stick if it looks like a fried bug on a stick. Blindfold me, and I'll be great! :pb_smile: Also oysters. In stuffing, sure, but on a shell, just no...

Spoiler

It's snot - on a shell.  (Just in case the visual is too much :pb_razz:)

Growing up in the swamps of Louisiana (literally) I ate any number of things most people would find disgusting.  Rabbit, squirrel, alligator, frog legs, crawfish, etc.  It's not like we subsisted on these foods, but they had become part of the culture since the original settlers of the region HAD at times, out of necessity, subsisted on these foods.  

All of these... interesting... edible animal parts. I was veg'n for 26 years and only started eating meat and fish last year, so at this point, anything beyond grilled/broiled/braised poultry or fish is way too exotic for me. I ate a lot of game meat as a kid because my father was a hunter, so I'm no stranger to animals of the non-livestock variety, but we never ever had organ meats, entrails, appendages, etc.

I grew up eating mostly moose and occasionally beef and pork. Chicken was a rarity, as was different forest birds and hare. Reindeer was eaten sometimes, my father sometimes bought it from Sami people but my mom hated the smell of the meat cooking. Once my dad bought a whole reindeer. It also had not matured enough so dad needed to mature the meat in the basement first. They forgot to tell me and I went into our basement and for a brief movement I thought my dad had killed and skinned a person and hung him/her from the ceiling. I then realized my mistake but I got a bit scared. 

Moose meat has a strong taste and reindeer even stronger so I got used to meat with a strong taste and this makes me not enjoy neither chicken nor turkey that much because it is just so bland to me. Game meat is what meat tastes to me but I understand that others usually have beef (or to a lesser extent pork or chicken) as their reference for meat.

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

In my 10+ years of Fundie and mega family watching I don't remember a single person who admitted to 1. being aware of the Quiverfull Movement and 2. being a part of it.

I believe it! guess since it is not a denomination there is plausible deniability, but we all know they know exactly what quiverfull principles are and that they practice them. 

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm tempted to search the FJ archives.  I do remember seeing a couple of Bates videos. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Erika Shupe identify as Quiverfull?  I remember seeing the term on her blog (I could be wrong).

Archived