The Bates before they were so shiny and perfect including grifting

formergothardite

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Bananas = The Atheist's Nightmare.

Kirk is having a hard time keeping a straight face :wink:

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I showed this to Mr. CL a while ago, and he couldn't stop laughing.  "ease of entry" was his favorite phrase, too.

Here's a breakdown of the aftermath of Ray Comfort's banana video.It is rather long but worth reading the whole thing.  http://truth-saves.com/ray-comfort-banana 

Ray Comfort's Evolving Banana Lie.  

When the Christian apologist Ray Comfort attempted to disprove evolution with just his limited knowledge of bananas he instantly became an international laughingstock. When the flaws in his claim were made publicly known Ray did what he does best, he made up more lies about bananas. Join us in this three part story which starts off with Ray Comfort's well known original banana lie, followed by his banana lie diversion, and concludes with his latest collection banana lies used to cover up his original banana lie. You may notice a theme. 

It is apparently officially known as the Banana Argument.  

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Banana_argument

The banana argument is a specific teleological argument for theism based on the form and function of natural objects—specifically in this case, the banana. According toRay Comfort, the banana is "the atheist's nightmare"; as he considers its ease of use, nutritional value and "colour-coding" to be irrefutable proof of intelligent design. In its usual presentation it is humorously foolish, so much so that Comfort has since taken to using it as a joke himself (and claiming that it always had been a joke or "stand up routine"), in contrast with the quite serious tactic he originally used.

:my_biggrin:

12 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Please tell me that you're not Freelee the banana girl.

Bananas have a time and place for me.  They have to be green (one speck of brown and they go to the freezer for banana bread) and can't be mixed with anything else.  I despise bananas in my smoothies.

I haven't eaten many lately because they're too ripe for me at the store.

Ugh me too. I actually like most things banana but banana in smoothies gives the smoothie a mucus like texture that makes me gag.

I was never that keen on bananas, but my best friend in high school ate one every day when she had braces....seeing banana stuck in them turned me right off, and I haven't eaten them since...and that was in the late 70s.

On 6/9/2016 at 5:55 PM, Palimpsest said:

Bananas = The Atheist's Nightmare.

This is a video about why blowjobs are totally god-friendly right ? Right shape, easy entry, fits perfectly in your hand ... You naughty fundies ;)

I've forced myself to eat bananas for years, often gagging while doing so. My coworkers would laugh at the way I held the banana far from my face between bites. Finally I did an elimination diet to discover what could be making my rosacea so much worse...yup. Bananas. No more raw bananas for me. Made "banana cream pie" with my sister a couple of weeks ago and broke out that night. So bananas join strawberries on my no-no list - but I definitely miss the strawberries more.

Our "Banana cream pie": 1 large box vanilla pudding, made with milk according to directions, mixed with 1/2 or so of a tub of cool whip, on graham cracker crust, with 2-3 bananas cut up & mixed in. It actually is really yummy and light.

On 6/9/2016 at 1:27 PM, MsSaylor said:

Remember how Duggar women eat bananas by breaking off pieces so as not to defraud us? That always made me laugh. They don't seem to have the same rule for pickles though. 

Wait what?

3 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

Wait what?

I was taught to eat bananas by breaking pieces off too.  I didn't understand why when I was 6!

My banana aversion dates from my late teens and a very squashy banana.  Prior to that I could tolerate them in their greener state but I was never fond of them.

One thing I notice about Global North folks and Ray Comfort.  You all peel bananas wrong.  The "tab" is not at the top.

Take your yucky banana and look at the blossom end (opposite the stem). Gently squeeze the blossom end and the whole peel opens up and comes off so much more easily.

A PSA from a TCK who probably learned this factoid from a monkey.

Lessons on eating mangos with a modicum of dignity (if not correct etiquette) and peeling oranges with less pith are available on request. :my_biggrin:

16 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I was taught to eat bananas by breaking pieces off too.  I didn't understand why when I was 6!

My banana aversion dates from my late teens and a very squashy banana.  Prior to that I could tolerate them in their greener state but I was never fond of them.

One thing I notice about Global North folks and Ray Comfort.  You all peel bananas wrong.  The "tab" is not at the top.

Take your yucky banana and look at the blossom end (opposite the stem). Gently squeeze the blossom end and the whole peel opens up and comes off so much more easily.

A PSA from a TCK who probably learned this factoid from a monkey.

Lessons on eating mangos with a modicum of dignity (if not correct etiquette) and peeling oranges with less pith are available on request. :my_biggrin:

I've known a lot of varieties of fundies/religious people in my life but I do have to admit I never knew anyone who ate bananas that way strictly. When did the Duggars say they do that? This is a totally new concept to me haha.

Am also curious re:mangos.

@Palimpsest,  I learned about peeling banana from the blossom end from Martha Stewart who says that's the way that monkeys and chimps peel them.

They showed them doing it on the show. No clue what episode but it was discussed here. This was several years back probably. I believe it was Michelle doing it actually, the incident that was discussed here. She would like break off a large chunk then bite the chunk and set the rest of the chunk on top of the remaining banana. It was discussed on FJ and I recall some former fundie chimed in that this was definitely a thing since eating a banana normally could be suggestive of another activity. 

My family always used to say that the only good place to eat a mango is in the bath tub!  

At the table we used the hedgehog method.  That is the good etiquette version, but for mango lovers it is wasteful.  Gnawing on the pit is part of the fun.  So take a knife and run it through the skin about an inch from each end cutting though all the way round.  Make a very shallow cut because mangos have thin skins.  Then run the knife down vertically between the two cuts and remove the peel from the middle.  You now have little handles and can eat it as you would corn on the cob.  When you have eaten the middle remove the handles one at a time and eat the ends.  

Oranges have a top and a bottom too.   Peeling from the top down removes more of the pith with the skin.  If you are finding it difficult to peel and there is a lot of pith left on the segments you are peeling from the wrong end.  Turn your orange upside down and try again. :)

@PennySycamore Martha is absolutely right that monkeys and chimps open their bananas from the bottom!

Okay. Yesterday I ran a 5k for colon cancer awareness, and it happened to also be my 59th birthday. I decided to partake of the after run snacks and ate my first banana in over probably 40+ years and it was DELICIOUS! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, I suspect I will always be learning to like things.

My Grandma used to watch me on Saturdays when I was a lil' one and always had boiled chicken for lunch...no seasoning, etc. just a whole chicken put in a pot of boiling water..talk about smells and tastes that follow you for a lifetime. Curiouser she would always eat a cow brain sandwich, which just totally blew my mind...but maybe they were on to something back then as my grandparents and great aunts and uncles all lived to their late 90's

3 minutes ago, paulypepper said:

Okay. Yesterday I ran a 5k for colon cancer awareness, and it happened to also be my 59th birthday. I decided to partake of the after run snacks and ate my first banana in over probably 40+ years and it was DELICIOUS! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, I suspect I will always be learning to like things.

My Grandma used to watch me on Saturdays when I was a lil' one and always had boiled chicken for lunch...no seasoning, etc. just a whole chicken put in a pot of boiling water..talk about smells and tastes that follow you for a lifetime. Curiouser she would always eat a cow brain sandwich, which just totally blew my mind...but maybe they were on to something back then as my grandparents and great aunts and uncles all lived to their late 90's

Congratulations, Happy Birthday and ugh to boiled chicken and brain sandwiches.

@paulypepper,  Happy Belated 59th!!  

Brain sandwiches would not be a very good idea anymore due to Mad Cow disease.  They always sounded disgusting though.

I'm not a big fruit eater. Just don't like the taste of most of them. The first time I ate a banana was in 6th grade, in math class, when we were doing a project about what percentage of a fruit is edible. The teacher was letting us eat the fruit after it was done being used. 6th grade me decided to try the banana. It wasn't bad.

Wouldn't you know that that teacher was out the next day with a stomach bug, and who came down with it that night? Me. End of my "enjoyment" of bananas. I won't give them another chance because I'm so salty about what happened in 6th grade math class.

I'm not a big fruit eater either, give me vegetables any day.

Archived