IGNORED

The Bates before they were so shiny and perfect including grifting

formergothardite

8 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I have a slight lactose intolerance, but it doesn't happen with all types of dairy. Certain types of ice creams don't do it, but others set me off - then sometimes the ones I think are safe set me off and the ones I think are bad end up doing nothing. Same with cheeses, creamy dressings, milk... It's a fun guessing game. I love dairy much too much to give it up entirely to avoid problems, so I just constantly have to hope for the best.

I am exactly the same way! I can't do milk or cream, especially if it's warm. But some cheeses are ok, in small doses. I probably should give it all up, but I don't think I can. 

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Migraine triggers for me are organ meats, which sux, bc I LOVE tongue, liver, heart, kidneys.. Also malt anything, nuts, especially almonds...aged cheese and all red wine...

I get migraines from the msg/dsg family of salts and all the sulfites.  Can't have wine and a lot of the delicious ciders.  Aged cheeses will occasionally set me off, which sucks because I love them so. I don't know if it's related, but I can't stand the taste of any beer.  

Hiya sister!  All of those set off migraines for me and I can't stand beer.

I'm the opposite. When I have a headache, a glass of wine helps me more than an aspirin. I suppose it's the Mediterranean way of life. :my_biggrin:

On 6/23/2016 at 6:09 PM, Granwych said:

I'm still waiting for a decent mango.  Grampwych loves 'em along with every other tropical fruit, but every mango I've tried tastes like turpentine.

There is actually a variety of mango called Turpentine - some people like them.  Also some over and under ripe mangoes of other varieties taste like turps.  Keep trying different varieties. :)

I bought some little yellow mangoes from Costco a few weeks ago.  They were delicious.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

There is actually a variety of mango called Turpentine - some people like them.  Also some over and under ripe mangoes of other varieties taste like turps.  Keep trying different varieties. :)

I bought some little yellow mangoes from Costco a few weeks ago.  They were delicious.

With Grampwych being from south America, he's always on the lookout for decent mangoes, papayas, soursops, tamarinds, you name it.  And the root vegetables!  He bought some one time, they looked like a woody potato.  I cooked it up as per his directions, and it tasted like soap.  I guess it really does make a difference if those tropical foods can be gotten as fresh and close to their land of origin as possible.

Now, off to hunt for some small yellow mangoes...thanks!

14 hours ago, mallallory said:

I get migraines from the msg/dsg family of salts and all the sulfites.  Can't have wine and a lot of the delicious ciders.  Aged cheeses will occasionally set me off, which sucks because I love them so. I don't know if it's related, but I can't stand the taste of any beer.  

Msg gives me painful burps sometimes. I always forget and go to some Chinese buffet and then try to understand why I feel so bad and burp so much...

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/05/2016 at 9:19 AM, 19 cats and counting said:

Call me an snobby northeastern liberal, but the only meat in a can I would go near is marketed towards feeding your feline headship, not yourself.  I'd sooner go vegetarian than eat meat out of a can.

I'd pay good money to see a fundie blog share a recipe that uses Fancy Feast.

On the fancy feast note... I once fed my ex fancy feast. He thought the chicken in gravy cat food was just regular canned chicken. That was the last meal I ever made him before kicking his cheating ass to the curb, kinda wish I burned his shit instead :my_dodgy: :pb_lol:

On 6/25/2016 at 10:13 PM, theinvisiblegirl said:

I have a slight lactose intolerance, but it doesn't happen with all types of dairy. Certain types of ice creams don't do it, but others set me off - then sometimes the ones I think are safe set me off and the ones I think are bad end up doing nothing. Same with cheeses, creamy dressings, milk... It's a fun guessing game. I love dairy much too much to give it up entirely to avoid problems, so I just constantly have to hope for the best.

My lactose intolerance is finicky as well. Milk wreaks havoc on my system, but yogurt and cheese are ok. The milk intolerance coupled with the fact I don't tolerate caffeine well either makes me look like a pretentious twat at Starbucks. Look at me funny all you want when I order a decaf soy latte, but I bet you'll thank me when I don't blow up your bathroom!

On 5/3/2016 at 4:23 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm also in central Jersey (the town my Aldi is in shares a name with a planet and a Greek god).

A Riddle!!  Took a second, but I got it :D  Another (former) Jersey Girl here

I got that one. :-) I lived in Rumson and Tinton Falls for a few years, then Lawrence Township across the state for a few more. I still miss NJ, after five years away.

6 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I still miss NJ, after five years away

14 years gone for me...don't miss the traffic or high property taxes.  But I do miss the shore so much it hurts.  Heading that way next month :D

1 minute ago, xlurker said:

But I do miss the shore so much it hurts.

Sigh. Yes.

I'm happy you get to visit! People who've never been there have no idea what they are missing. I've only gotten back twice so far.

11 hours ago, xlurker said:

14 years gone for me...don't miss the traffic or high property taxes.  But I do miss the shore so much it hurts.  Heading that way next month :D

I don't live in NJ (New England instead) but I hear you about living near the beach.  I've never lived farther than 10 miles away from the ocean.

24 minutes ago, tumblr said:

I'm moving to southern Jersey in September! Any advice?

Enjoy the heck out of the shore as much as you can prior to Memorial Day and post Labor Day.  That isn't to say not to go there in the summer, just be prepared for the crowds--much of which BTW are NOT from Jersey :D  In all honesty, I truly love the solitude and peace of the shore in the off season.  And I am a sucker for watching a storm at sea.

7 hours ago, xlurker said:

Enjoy the heck out of the shore as much as you can prior to Memorial Day and post Labor Day.  That isn't to say not to go there in the summer, just be prepared for the crowds--much of which BTW are NOT from Jersey :D  In all honesty, I truly love the solitude and peace of the shore in the off season.  And I am a sucker for watching a storm at sea.

Yes!!  I'm at the beach more during the off season.  When Grampwych and I get the odd weekend away, we go to Cape Cod, preferably during March.  The Rhode Island beaches are great, too.

7 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Yes!!  I'm at the beach more during the off season

If NJ wasn't so crazy expensive, I would have moved to Cape May....I have beautiful lakes and mountains, but salt air revitalizes like nothing else can...wish Mr Xlurker shared my love of it.  On second thought, maybe it is more enjoyable without him!  LOL

The sea is really beautiful in September, and lovely to walk along in October. November through March, it's crazy windy, but can be refreshing on warmer days. Then it's wonderful again in May, til the crowds arrive. Best enjoyed not on weekends in summer.

State Park passes are a good idea. South Jersey is replete with forest, cranberry bogs, and some interesting historical sites.

@tumblr are you already from the East Coast? For me, there was culture shock in how people lined up at the deli, etc. And people are used to crowding each other, and tend to speak with more sharp efficiency than I was used to. Others sometimes take it as less than friendly, but it isn't. It's just a tone I had to adapt to, and I really grew to love it all.

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

Yes!!  I'm at the beach more during the off season.  When Grampwych and I get the odd weekend away, we go to Cape Cod, preferably during March.  The Rhode Island beaches are great, too.

Hubs and I vacationed on Block Island the past two years. We didn't this year because we had our honeymoon earlier this year, we have a wedding out of state in two months, and we're saving for baby - but we both miss it like crazy. Every time we see a commercial for the island it kills us a bit inside. We love being there and we can't wait to bring Velocibaby with us in the future!

1 hour ago, xlurker said:

If NJ wasn't so crazy expensive, I would have moved to Cape May....I have beautiful lakes and mountains, but salt air revitalizes like nothing else can...wish Mr Xlurker shared my love of it.  On second thought, maybe it is more enjoyable without him!  LOL

I can't agree more. I grew up spending Summer's boating on the Sound - we have pictures of me at one month on my parents' old boat - and nothing can calm me or make me feel more alive than the scent of salty air.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Hubs and I vacationed on Block Island the past two years. We didn't this year because we had our honeymoon earlier this year, we have a wedding out of state in two months, and we're saving for baby - but we both miss it like crazy. Every time we see a commercial for the island it kills us a bit inside. We love being there and we can't wait to bring Velocibaby with us in the future!

My dad had a two-seater Cessna, and on Saturdays he and Mom would fly to Block Island for breakfast.  You've given me an idea to take the rapid ferry there for the day once the tourists leave, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in NJ twice and actually ... liked it!  In the late 70s we lived in Willingboro and later, late 80s, in Lindenwold.  

The only odd thing I noticed (and this may be an East Coast thing, and not just a Jersey thing) was that few people made eye contact.... even if they bumped your cart in the grocery store, they might apologize, but no eye contact.  I found it odd.

I ended up moving early so I'm up here now. It's really nice, I came from NC so I am loving the cooler temps right now! 

I noticed your fries at fast food restaurants are less salty, which is really very odd to me and that pedestrians don't wave to cars when crossing the street here. 

I will also recomend Cape May Zoo, it seems to specialize in baby animals and I caught I pikachu there so really a wonderful way to spend the afternoon! (Also it's a you choose what you pay situation.)

Archived