IGNORED

The Bates before they were so shiny and perfect including grifting

formergothardite

I bet that would be good, never had it that way. The fam would kill me for messing with tradition though!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grandma's is baked with meringue and cooled before serving. Its basically like Alton Browns verson, except it it's baked in a rectangular baking dish

Is banana pudding regional?  I never heard of it until I was in my late 20's and visited Magnolia bakery.  I'm skittish to try it, I had a bad experience with a banana once and only like them when they are perfectly ripe but not overripe.  

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I had a bad experience with a banana once

So did I.  I can't even stand the smell of them.

Ours is baked meringue with homemade old fashioned custard. I refuse to eat it any other way. 

And yes, it's regional (southern US). 

3 hours ago, JMO said:

Is banana pudding regional?  I never heard of it until I was in my late 20's and visited Magnolia bakery.  I'm skittish to try it, I had a bad experience with a banana once and only like them when they are perfectly ripe but not overripe.  

My family's banana pudding is of southern origin (mom is from Arkansas). I don't think you can go wrong with a southern version . Start with the "pure" version, no meringue or topping. Delish.

A good 50 percent of my diet is bananas. I fucking love bananas. I buy them on clearance when they are right, slice them and stick them in the freezer to make banana "ice cream" and smoothies. 

On June 6, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Geechee Girl said:

@HRM1216 I prefer the chilled over baked. It seems the older elders like baked with meringue.

baked-banana-pudding-0149318

Alton Brown's Baked Banana Puddin' 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/baked-banana-pudding-0149318.html

OMG!  That Alton Brown video made me hungry!  I LOVE banana pudding!  I think I might make that for Father's Day dessert.

Strangely enough I tried banana pudding tonight.  We went to a bakery I haven't been to in a few years and they were offering free samples of banana pudding! It was very simple and traditional.  The pudding was super creamy and delicious but... I could do without the bananas :pb_lol: I chatted up one of the workers and she was shocked I had never had it. Glad I got to try it. 

Speaking of bananas, I had never eaten one because I could never stand the smell. Then, at slumber party when I was about 15, someone got the notion to use a banana to learn how to give BJs. My banana evidently had a small break in the skin, when suddenly my mouth and throat started to swell... and that is the story of how I simultaneously learned how to give a BJ, and discovered that I am severely allergic to bananas. :my_blush:

BTW, we call it naner puddin' where I come from.

Making pudding from scratch really isn't that hard. Same with cakes. I realized this a few years ago when I made chocolate cake using the Hershey recipe on their cocoa powder container. It was delicious, not really much more work than packaged and I don't recall there being much more in the way of clean up. I got so used to packaged stuff in my mind it seemed like a chore to make from scratch. It isn't so bad. Sorry for the drift.

12 hours ago, formergothardite said:

A good 50 percent of my diet is bananas. I fucking love bananas. I buy them on clearance when they are right, slice them and stick them in the freezer to make banana "ice cream" and smoothies. 

Please tell me that you're not Freelee the banana girl.

Bananas have a time and place for me.  They have to be green (one speck of brown and they go to the freezer for banana bread) and can't be mixed with anything else.  I despise bananas in my smoothies.

I haven't eaten many lately because they're too ripe for me at the store.

1 minute ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Please tell me that you're not Freelee the banana girl.

Bananas have a time and place for me.  They have to be green (one speck of brown and they go to the freezer for banana bread) and can't be mixed with anything else.  I despise bananas in my smoothies.

I haven't eaten many lately because they're too ripe for me at the store.

You have discovered my secret identity! :laughing-jumpingpurple:  I spend my days doing yoga surrounded by produce.

article-2644730-1E680C4200000578-863_634x549.jpg

In reality, I don't actually eat that many banana's but I probably eat more than most people. I even got my husband hooked on frozen banana "ice cream". I can't eat them if they are greenish. I only like the pretty ripe ones. 

Can't do bananas. I hate the smell, taste, texture - everything. My husband's favorite dessert at a restaurant we go to is something called Bananas in a Box which is some sort of cooked, caramelized, flambéed banana thing in a caramelized sugar box. I love the box part! I will pick off pieces from the very top where no banana has touched (when I’m done the box looks more like a picket fence…) which drives him crazy. He does not understand my banana hate. :pb_smile:

Now, any of the above mentioned desserts done with coconut – I’ll be all over that!

I agree, bananas are absolutely disgusting abomination fruit. I ate one every day for about 14 years and I can't eat them anymore. 

Bananas = The Atheist's Nightmare.

Remember how Duggar women eat bananas by breaking off pieces so as not to defraud us? That always made me laugh. They don't seem to have the same rule for pickles though. 

12 minutes ago, MsSaylor said:

Remember how Duggar women eat bananas by breaking off pieces so as not to defraud us? That always made me laugh. They don't seem to have the same rule for pickles though. 

I can't snark too much on their banana eating habits. I've gotten catcalled too many times while eating a banana, and so I eat them Duggar style. It's saved me a lot of embarrassment. 

4 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I can't snark too much on their banana eating habits. I've gotten catcalled too many times while eating a banana, and so I eat them Duggar style. It's saved me a lot of embarrassment. 

I sometimes eat them by splitting them into thirds with my thumbnail jabbed into the blossom end.  It's kinda fun but messy.

@RosyDaisy, we also tend to call it Nanner pudding here in SC.  Yeah, it's sorta redneck to call it that, but we do.  

@Denim Jumper,  you might want to watch out for latex allergies, too.  Allergy to banana and latex allergy seem to be related. 

5 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I sometimes eat them by splitting them into thirds with my thumbnail jabbed into the blossom end.  It's kinda fun but messy.

That IS fun. I first saw it on The Dreamers and have been doing it ever since. The mean, mischievous side of me likes to do that when I can see a guy looking interested at me eating a banana. It's the fastest way I've ever found to get someone to go away.

39 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

Wow.  That banana video has to be a joke right? Otherwise... LOL

Later after being mocked they claimed it was a joke, but at the time they made it, it seemed to be very serious. 

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Later after being mocked they claimed it was a joke, but at the time they made it, it seemed to be very serious. 

I think it was deadly serious, although you can see Kirk shift a little uncomfortably when Ray says "ease of entry."

Archived