IGNORED

The Bates before they were so shiny and perfect including grifting

formergothardite

11 hours ago, paulypepper said:

Okay. Yesterday I ran a 5k for colon cancer awareness, and it happened to also be my 59th birthday. I decided to partake of the after run snacks and ate my first banana in over probably 40+ years and it was DELICIOUS! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, I suspect I will always be learning to like things.

My Grandma used to watch me on Saturdays when I was a lil' one and always had boiled chicken for lunch...no seasoning, etc. just a whole chicken put in a pot of boiling water..talk about smells and tastes that follow you for a lifetime. Curiouser she would always eat a cow brain sandwich, which just totally blew my mind...but maybe they were on to something back then as my grandparents and great aunts and uncles all lived to their late 90's

My dad would always reminisce fondly about eating brain and/or sheep's head. He hadn't had it in quite some time. At least it certainly never made an appearance at the table when I was growing up (thank god). On one trip back to his home country when he was in his 80's, he got very excited to see a cafe across from his hotel serving it, so he ran right across to order some. Even Mr. Stubborn had to admit that the memory far outshone the reality of brain for dinner. :pb_razz:

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a huge fruit eater, and I looove bananas, but I can't eat them anymore :tw_cry: I don't know if it's an allergy or whatever, but there's definitely a link between bananas and migraines for me. At least its not watermelon (knock on wood) bc watermelon is probably my favourite food on earth

5 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

My dad would always reminisce fondly about eating brain and/or sheep's head. He hadn't had it in quite some time. At least it certainly never made an appearance at the table when I was growing up (thank god). On one trip back to his home country when he was in his 80's, he got very excited to see a cafe across from his hotel serving it, so he ran right across to order some. Even Mr. Stubborn had to admit that the memory far outshone the reality of brain for dinner. :pb_razz:

I ate deep-fried lamb brain once and it was quite good. I just tasted it because I wanted  to be polite with the person who cooked (an old lady), but the truth is  that it was tasty. I have never cooked it nor saw it in any restaurant or house, but I learn that sometimes it's good to be open to disgusting/weird food.

On 5/19/2016 at 9:14 AM, nolongerIFBx said:

What about mountain oysters? I used to work with a large animal vet. When we were castrating we kept a bucket of salt water to throw the testicles in because the sometimes the owners liked to slice and fry them up. I passed on that one!

Rocky Mountain oysters here in Colorado

10 hours ago, FrumperSeamstress said:

I'm a huge fruit eater, and I looove bananas, but I can't eat them anymore :tw_cry: I don't know if it's an allergy or whatever, but there's definitely a link between bananas and migraines for me. At least its not watermelon (knock on wood) bc watermelon is probably my favourite food on earth

You have a food intolerance. Bananas are a headache trigger for many people. The issue with bananas could be due to Tryamine. Do you also have issues with certain aged cheese?

I've had lambs head, some Persian friends made it. I really enjoyed it. It was like a stew and I just found it tasted like roast beef.

I have a hard time with fruits and vegetables. My mom was never good at picking out fresh stuff (she still isn't) so our fruit and veggies growing up were iffy at best. My husband showed me how to pick them out and when I actually eat them I enjoy them but the memory of always biting into near spoiled food keeps me from craving them.

Decided to come out of lurkdom for this! 

Sheep's head is actually considered a delicacy in Norway. I haven't had it,but it's fairly common in the western part of the country. You don't eat the brain, that is removed, but apparently the ear and the eye are the best parts.

5 hours ago, Ali said:

You have a food intolerance. Bananas are a headache trigger for many people. The issue with bananas could be due to Tryamine. Do you also have issues with certain aged cheese?

Ah, good to know. I haven't noticed any issues, but I don't eat much aged cheese tbh

My husband who is a janitor felt that it was really eerie when some kids had found a trash bag full of boiled sheep's skulls from one of the families in the apartment buildings he was taking care of and arranged them along a wall and put flowers in front of them and rocks in the eye sockets. The area he worked in had quite a lot of Muslim families and I know people from Iraq, Palestine and Somalia who likes to eat sheep's head.

On June 13, 2016 at 3:27 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I ate deep-fried lamb brain once and it was quite good. I just tasted it because I wanted  to be polite with the person who cooked (an old lady), but the truth is  that it was tasty. I have never cooked it nor saw it in any restaurant or house, but I learn that sometimes it's good to be open to disgusting/weird food.

I wish I could be more open-minded with this thread, but it's making my morning sickness worse. :pb_lol:

If I weren't pregnant I'd likely do as you did though - give it a try and hope I don't embarrass myself by making a face if I don't like it. I know refusing food can be considered a serious insult in many cultures and the last thing I'd want is to upset or hurt anyone. 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:20 PM, MsSaylor said:

They showed them doing it on the show. No clue what episode but it was discussed here. This was several years back probably. I believe it was Michelle doing it actually, the incident that was discussed here. She would like break off a large chunk then bite the chunk and set the rest of the chunk on top of the remaining banana. It was discussed on FJ and I recall some former fundie chimed in that this was definitely a thing since eating a banana normally could be suggestive of another activity. 

So does that mean you have to break them apart before you are married, but after marriage you can joyfully eat them suggestively?

16 minutes ago, anotherone said:

So does that mean you have to break them apart before you are married, but after marriage you can joyfully eat them suggestively?

As long as you only do it in the rpivacy of your bedroom and then brag to your kids that you can eat a banana the proper way and they can't

On 14/06/2016 at 10:10 AM, Fundie Bunny said:

As long as you only do it in the rpivacy of your bedroom and then brag to your kids that you can eat a banana the proper way and they can't

Ha!

Red wine is another one.

Alcohol of any kind or amount makes me very sick. Just as well, because it along with caffeine and smoking are no nos for per my doctor. They make my Meniere's Disease worse.

The bananas in the US aren't very sweet.  At least the ones near me. In Sri Lanka (and other areas of the world, I'm sure) they have little bananas called sugar bananas. They are that sweet. They also have mango trucks that park near popular attractions. The worker peels the fruit off the pit and you just kind of stand around and eat the fruit and discard the skin. 

Ugh.  Now I want some fresh fruit and to visit my in laws. 

12 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

They also have mango trucks that park near popular attractions. The worker peels the fruit off the pit and you just kind of stand around and eat the fruit and discard the skin. 

I hadn't realized I needed this until now. So hard to get a decent mango in the middle of this country...

13 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

The bananas in the US aren't very sweet.  At least the ones near me. In Sri Lanka (and other areas of the world, I'm sure) they have little bananas called sugar bananas. They are that sweet. They also have mango trucks that park near popular attractions. The worker peels the fruit off the pit and you just kind of stand around and eat the fruit and discard the skin. 

Ugh.  Now I want some fresh fruit and to visit my in laws. 

I think in Trinidad these are called Silk Figs. My kid loves them. Haven't found them in London but they must be available somewhere.

On 6/20/2016 at 3:08 AM, RosyDaisy said:

Alcohol of any kind or amount makes me very sick. Just as well, because it along with caffeine and smoking are no nos for per my doctor. They make my Meniere's Disease worse.

People think I am strange that I cannot drink wine as it gives me a headache.  It does not matter the wine, all of them give me a headache.  I go to all kinds of events and people (those who know me and those who don't) offer me a glass of wine every time (if its available).  I either ask if they have a beer or a diet coke.  Failing that, water is fine.  

19 hours ago, busdrivingmom said:

People think I am strange that I cannot drink wine as it gives me a headache.  It does not matter the wine, all of them give me a headache.  I go to all kinds of events and people (those who know me and those who don't) offer me a glass of wine every time (if its available).  I either ask if they have a beer or a diet coke.  Failing that, water is fine.  

Alcohol in general gives me a headache. I wish I could enjoy it like people seem to do (people being major wine nerds and knowing everything about wine looks interesting and fun), but in the end, it's just not for me. I read a book recently called "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin, and she talks a little about being able to see something that other people are into and enjoying and just appreciating that that's their thing without feeling yourself having to try to enjoy it too. It helped me realize that stuff like alcohol and television (I just plain don't enjoy it much) are something other people really like and that I can see them enjoying it and be okay with the reality that I'd just rather have a cup of tea and read a book. Essentially just being who you are. 

On 6/22/2016 at 1:56 PM, CreationMuseumCurator said:

I hadn't realized I needed this until now. So hard to get a decent mango in the middle of this country...

I'm still waiting for a decent mango.  Grampwych loves 'em along with every other tropical fruit, but every mango I've tried tastes like turpentine.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:55 PM, Coconut Flan said:

Red wine is another one.

My mother can only drink certain wines, as she's allergic to the sulfites that most wine companies use. She's tried homemade wine that some of her students have homemade, and she's been ok with those.

I have an open mind about food & most other things, & I love all sorts of weird things to eat; some of the above described items aren't for me. But that's ok; not everyone likes the same thing after all.  ;) 

28 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

My mother can only drink certain wines, as she's allergic to the sulfites that most wine companies use. She's tried homemade wine that some of her students have homemade, and she's been ok with those.

Mr. Curator and his dad both have varying degrees of food intolerance for beer. Mr. Curator just gets unsightly flaky skin on his forehead and nose, but his dad gets really sick. We're not sure what specifically sets them off. Mr. Curator can drink chocolate malts, but I'm not sure that's the same as the beer ingredient.

On 24.6.2016 at 9:00 PM, CreationMuseumCurator said:

Mr. Curator and his dad both have varying degrees of food intolerance for beer. Mr. Curator just gets unsightly flaky skin on his forehead and nose, but his dad gets really sick. We're not sure what specifically sets them off. Mr. Curator can drink chocolate malts, but I'm not sure that's the same as the beer ingredient.

Funny how food allergies affect people, isn't it? (Not funny as in when food allergies = death, I mean.) 

55 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

Funny how food allergies effect people, isn't it? (Not funny as in when food allergies = death, I mean.) 

I have a slight lactose intolerance, but it doesn't happen with all types of dairy. Certain types of ice creams don't do it, but others set me off - then sometimes the ones I think are safe set me off and the ones I think are bad end up doing nothing. Same with cheeses, creamy dressings, milk... It's a fun guessing game. I love dairy much too much to give it up entirely to avoid problems, so I just constantly have to hope for the best.

Archived