IGNORED

#Big Sandy 2016

picklepizzas

Gothard has a prison ministry too. I sometimes feel like IBLP is in more places than we realize, they have just covered up their tracks so well it is hard to see it. 

Anyway, back to the yearly conference, the lack of pictures is strange along with how the Bates are trying to make it look like they are somewhere else at this moment. 

Is this Gil talking?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Haven't Paine maidens worked with In the Gap?

Yes.  Here's Abby.

http://inthegap.org/about/ourteam/abby-paine/

And here: http://12paines.com/2011/03/13/serving-seperately-and-together/

And the SOTDT strikes again.  Seperately [sic].

Edited by Palimpsest
added link
  • Upvote 5

The only reason I can think for the complete lack of pictures is that UP is filming and made people sign something to not post pictures. 

Or there are far less attendants with instagram but fundies have never seemed to be anti-instagram. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

It is insane that Gothard's teachings are still allowed in public schools because they have managed to hide the connection so well! You have to give Gothard credit, he did know how to create a program and then make it look like he didn't. 

The thing about Gothard's teachings is that they sound so good: if you do all of these things, you will be happy and your kids will turn out good. We really want to hear that and we really want it to be true. So, we stop thinking critically and accept what we hear. The talks  (the one I heard an eon ago) go fast and sound very compelling. But, not much of it is scriptural; a verse here and there, taken out of context, is not good exegesis! So, yes,  public school would think that character education sounds like a good deal.

• Upvote 11

Speaking of how far reaching Gothardism is - I'm parking this one here because it includes some of the current speakers at Big Sandy:

This is the revamped Embassy Media site - formerly known as Gothard's Embassy Institute.  Obvious connections to IBLP have been deleted although, to my surprise, they haven't deleted Gothard yet from the list of speakers. https://embassymedia.com

It is the usual suspects,  plus Ray Comfort and a few I did not know were IBLP connected.  Both Magnussens (father and son) are on the list of Embassy speakers.

And they have some free samples including Jim Sammons and Gothard himself!  

https://embassymedia.com/free

• Upvote 3

From the few pictures from Big Sandy that we have seen, it loks a whole lot quieter thia year than in years past. Can we dare hope that the organisation is dying?

Also, petty snark: I know the idiots at Alert are clearly trying for a paramilitary image, but why, in the name of ceiling cat, are they not teaching the cadets to stand up straight? Marching while slouched over just looks silly, marching in formation while slumped is freaking hilarious. It's like members of the IBLP, or whatever offshoot of it runs Alert, can't do more than half ass anything...

• Upvote 19

22 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Lenspiration, run by Robert Staddon, is pretty much an IBLP course. He is also a part of Big Sandy.

http://lenspiration.com/workshop/bigsandy/

This has seemed to replace the Institute of Photographic Studies run by IBLP

Has Jinger Duggar ever been allowed to take Lenspiration class?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Lenspiration, run by Robert Staddon, is pretty much an IBLP course. He is also a part of Big Sandy.

http://lenspiration.com/workshop/bigsandy/

This has seemed to replace the Institute of Photographic Studies run by IBLP

I can't tell you how many of these IG pages I have clicked through the #bigsandy2016 tag are run by "photographers". So many photographers. There is nothing wrong with being a photographer, but it seems to be the #1 choice of hobby/gothard approved job for IBLP women.

• Upvote 3

I think it is probably #1 because not everyone is an Erin who can pull off teaching piano. She really lucked out that the hobby she liked and was talented in was also a hobby that is IBLP approved. 

Here are some more pictures I found. No glimpse of the Bates or Duggars. They are staying hidden this year.

They run a coffee shop during the family conference

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

I think it is probably #1 because not everyone is an Erin who can pull off teaching piano. She really lucked out that the hobby she liked and was talented in was also a hobby that is IBLP approved. 

Here are some more pictures I found. No glimpse of the Bates or Duggars. They are staying hidden this year.

Wow. Knees *and* a sleeveless shirt in the same photo? How scandalous!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, artdecades said:

I can't tell you how many of these IG pages I have clicked through the #bigsandy2016 tag are run by "photographers". So many photographers. There is nothing wrong with being a photographer, but it seems to be the #1 choice of hobby/gothard approved job for IBLP women.

It must be stifling for Gothardite women to have so few 'acceptable' creative outlets available to them. Especially for the more artistic types. I can't imagine being limited to classical music, floral arrangement or photography. I can appreciate these things, but have zero interest in doing any of them.

• Upvote 9

Alert is creepier the more pictures I look at. They are building an army for their fundamentalist God. 

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Alert is creepier the more pictures I look at. They are building an army for their fundamentalist God. 

:pb_rollseyes: Strong to serve *what*, precisely? I doubt any of these young men will go into the military, because isn't that not OK among the ATI/IBLP crowd? And when do these manboys actually show up for "disaster relief"? Has that actually happened?

ETA: Re: fundamentalist army for God--So these are the guys that are going to gleefully slaughter the unbelievers during the Tribulation, as depicted in the Left Behind videya game?

Edited by EyeQueue
  • Upvote 6

I think they have helped out with some disaster relief, but they go through all this and don't really have a lot to show for it. It isn't like they have invested time in the military. I hope that Alert is on some government watch list. 

I actually feel a bit embarrassed for them because these guys clearly think they are tough military men, but really it is just playing pretend military with guys like the Duggar sons. 

I have been searching but I can't come up with a single picture of the Bates at Big Sandy. We know they are there(despite their instagram implying they are not), but they are staying out of pictures. 

• Upvote 12

10 minutes ago, EyeQueue said:

:pb_rollseyes: Strong to serve *what*, precisely? I doubt any of these young men will go into the military, because isn't that not OK among the ATI/IBLP crowd? And when do these manboys actually show up for "disaster relief"? Has that actually happened?

ETA: Re: fundamentalist army for God--So these are the guys that are going to gleefully slaughter the unbelievers during the Tribulation, as depicted in the Left Behind videya game?

They can't even stand the fuck up.  The Maxwells are probably more invested in their community than these army wannabes.

• Upvote 4

@formergothardite: I think you're right. Their manly manness would almost certainly cave if they were faced with a *real* military man (or woman, probably).

I see they at least have the manly wide stance down, even though they can't march in formation for shit (as the video above demonstrates).

• Upvote 14

18 hours ago, artdecades said:

Oh god don't tell me the duggarlings were involved in a skit. We know what great actors they are. This girl has a few duggar pictures on her IG, including a visit with preggo jill, so she has known them a while. She also seems to be doing something that involves preaching to public schools?

also, check out those jeans. nike

@formergothardite i'm pretty sure that is Callie Bates that this Perky is holding.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

i'm pretty sure that is Callie Bates that this Perky is holding.

Thank you! I struggle with recognizing the younger Bates. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Thank you! I struggle with recognizing the younger Bates. 

i am fairly horrified to discover that i possess this talent:my_confused:

• Upvote 19

9 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Anyway, back to the yearly conference, the lack of pictures is strange along with how the Bates are trying to make it look like they are somewhere else at this moment. 

Is this Gil talking?

Yep, that's definitely Gil's voice.  Yet they were in Niagra Falls yesterday according to their IG?  :confusion-scratchheadblue:  

• Upvote 5

On April 19, 2016 at 4:16 AM, Lillybee said:

My question is will is will Ma and Pa Duggar show up with their brood and will they bring Josh.

I think they had to leave Josh and Anna at home. It isn't time for him to start the "I have been saved" public speaking rounds.

The Big Sandy stuff is incredible.

Edited by EmCatlyn
  • Upvote 2

Alert is by far the scariest part of IBLP to me. They clearly think they will need some kind of army at some point. They call themselves 'disaster relief' and try to market it like boy scouts but it is a really obviously a militia/paramilitary group. 

The thought of ALERT ever being called to fight something terrifies me. 

• Upvote 15