IGNORED

#Big Sandy 2016

picklepizzas

11 minutes ago, tumblr said:

Alert is by far the scariest part of IBLP to me. They clearly think they will need some kind of army at some point. They call themselves 'disaster relief' and try to market it like boy scouts but it is a really obviously a militia/paramilitary group. 

The thought of ALERT ever being called to fight something terrifies me. 

Given that these boys can't even march properly, I'm not concerned that they are any kind of risk to law enforcement. I'm more concerned about how ALERT is used as re-education programming for the unfortunate boys being forced to endure it.

• Upvote 26

17 minutes ago, tumblr said:

Alert is by far the scariest part of IBLP to me. They clearly think they will need some kind of army at some point. They call themselves 'disaster relief' and try to market it like boy scouts but it is a really obviously a militia/paramilitary group. 

I wonder if any of these youngsters ever end up in boot camp and how much extra time their DI spends trying to undo their bad habits?

Edited by Soulhuntress
  • Upvote 12

2 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

It must be stifling for Gothardite women to have so few 'acceptable' creative outlets available to them. Especially for the more artistic types. I can't imagine being limited to classical music, floral arrangement or photography. I can appreciate these things, but have zero interest in doing any of them.

At least the artistic type have some outlets - art, music, poetry, photography, sewing, gardening, home decor, cooking, cake decorating, flower arranging, etc. How about the sporty or more tomboyish type? It must be hell for them. Square peg, round hole.

• Upvote 28

3 minutes ago, snickerz said:

At least the artistic type have some outlets - art, music, poetry, photography, sewing, gardening, home decor, cooking, cake decorating, flower arranging, etc. How about the sporty or more tomboyish type? It must be hell for them. Square peg, round hole.

I suspect that this is why Joy Duggar was foisted upon Sierra. The self confessed born again tomboy can show her the path to demure service. "Oh Joy, you only think you're a tomboy, like I used to think I was a tomboy, but once you truly understand that god is glorified by dipping grapes in chocolate your inner feminine countenance will rise up and overpower that ungodly side of your nature. Blessed Be!!!"

• Upvote 39

17 minutes ago, Soulhuntress said:

I wonder if any of these youngsters ever end up in boot camp and how much extra time their DI spends trying to undo their bad habits?

Does Pvt. Gomer Pyle spring to anyone else's mind? I think Sergeant Carter had an easier time with Gomer though than a DI would have with these guys.

• Upvote 9

I'm late to this party but it looks like a fun one. :)

I was just looking at the speakers' page.  Wow.

This guy gave me a chuckle.

"Dwain Swanson

Dwain is a man of God and an energy giver to all he meets. He has reached out to hundreds of men while working from his lawn mower, challenging them to draw near to God through His Word."

Who writes this stuff?  Gee whiz!

I can see this guy on his riding lawn mower chasing down random men and 'reaching out to them'.  Then he, what? gooses them? and gives them the gospel according to Gothard? :) 

Dwain-Swanson1-250x250.jpg

Edited by Jucifer
  • Upvote 22

1 hour ago, tumblr said:

What would these guys do if they were in the midst of disaster relief and a woman needed help giving birth?  Call their mothers and try to find a female to assist?

• Upvote 5

On 4/23/2016 at 9:14 PM, Casserole said:

I don't know. They're from Alaska. She was attending college, somewhere in the south. Her parents moved to Chicago... and somehow teleported to Arkansas to then get in a car and drive to her mysterious college location to pick her up. Then, they all teleported to Oklahoma City to drive together back to Chicago. 

That's what I got from her post. Clearly, she has wonderful story telling skills. SOTDRT at its finest. 

Remember when JD Dugger and Derrick Waller  flew to Alaska in summer 2014 to help a family move back to the lower 48?  DIng, ding, ding!

http://davidlovespriscilla.com/2014/08/17/family-time-in-northwoods/ 

The only odd thing is that the Pecan Thief's narrative here specifically says that JD and Derrick  moved a family from Alaska to California.  But California could certainly be yet another point in Alaska gal's confused  geographic constellation.

I guess neither JD nor Derrick Waller ended up being the handsome prince she's been waiting for.

• Upvote 12

3 hours ago, Jucifer said:

Dwain is a man of God and an energy giver to all he meets. He has reached out to hundreds of men while working from his lawn mower, challenging them to draw near to God through His Word."

I am now entertaining myself by rewriting this with obscure occupations. For example "Dwain is a man of God and an energy giver to all he meets. He has reached out to hundreds of men while working from his mobile bikini waxing bus, challenging them to draw near to God through His Word."
 or
"Dwain is a man of God and an energy giver to all he meets. He has reached out to hundreds of men while working from his Segway city tour business, challenging them to draw near to God through His Word."
...actually now that I think about it a mobile bikini waxing bus is the PERFECT business for Jill Rodrigues. Listen to J-Rod preach the gospel and sing hymns while shaping your bikini line in to a crucifix guaranteed to please your god and your headship. 

Edited by BlessingsVonFundiePants
edited for riffles
  • Upvote 23

1 hour ago, Jucifer said:

"Dwain Swanson

I can see this guy on his riding lawn mower chasing down random men and 'reaching out to them'.  Then he, what? gooses them? and gives them the gospel according to Gothard? :) 

Dwain Swanson... Were his parents graduates of the SOTDRT? Seriously, did they spell the name phonetically? People need a license to drive and fish, but you can screw up a child's life because you give them a yoooonique spelling of a common name. Dipshits. 

5 minutes ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

I am now entertaining myself by rewriting this with obscure occupations. For example "Dwain is a man of God and an energy giver to all he meets. He has reached out to hundreds of men while working from his mobile bikini waxing bus, challenging them to draw near to God through His Word."
 or
"Dwain is a man of God and an energy giver to all he meets. He has reached out to hundreds of men while working from his Segway city tour business, challenging them to draw near to God through His Word."
...actually now that I think about it a mobile bikini waxing bus is the PERFECT business for Jill Rodriguez. Listen to J-Rod preach the gospel and sing hymns while shaping your bikini line in to a crucifix guaranteed to please your god and your headship. 

I vote for mobile bikini waxing bus! 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Jucifer said:

"Dwain Swanson

All I can think of is one of the Redneck comics in a suit and tie and perched on a lawnmower.  But not being funny.

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, Hera said:

What, specifically, is ATI, et al's opposition to actual real military service? 

I have wondered about this, they seem to avoid having an public opinion about the military and instead place great emphasis/pressure on the boys to join the police or EMS because they have a servants heart. Personally, If I was a girl in one of those families I'd be shipping myself off to join the Navy or Army the second the ink dried on my GED. Instant exit from the family, complete with pay check, accommodation, and training to kick the arse of anyone who even tried to get me to be their broodmare, and no-one in the family could ever publicly denounce your decision because the court of public opinion would vilify them if they dared criticise anyone who wanted to selflessly serve their country. 

• Upvote 23

4 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

or

"Dwain is a man of God and an energy giver to all he meets.  He has reached out to hundreds of men while dwaining septic tanks at public rest stops, challenging them to draw near to God through His Word."

• Upvote 19

7 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

4 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

or

"Dwain is a man of God and an energy giver to all he meets.  He has reached out to hundreds of men while dwaining septic tanks at public rest stops, challenging them to draw near to God through His Word."

"Dwain is a man of God and an energy giver to all he meets.  He has reached out to hundreds of men while installing gender determining retina scanners in public restrooms across the south challenging them to draw near to God through His Word."

• Upvote 23

3 hours ago, Hera said:

The military, despite documented dominance by evangelical types, has evil non-Christian heathens that good little ATI boys would have to associate with or take orders from. Plus now they allow gay people and women.

And I've said it a few times, but if you want to see what white/Christian privilege looks like, look no further than the fact that a paramilitary group run by a puritanical religious sect is allowed to operate unchecked in rural Texas, while anything that might suggest an ISIS or Al-Qaeda training camp (or could be an orphanage or a hospital, it all looks the same to the drones) gets blown to smithereens.

• Upvote 26
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Jucifer said:

"Dwain Swanson

Do you think this is Dwain?

4892253_meet-bigfoot-of-lawn-mowers_177a6b7e_m.jpg

Edited by jas
to add link
  • Upvote 8

8 hours ago, Hera said:

They are going to get shipped off with non-fundamental Christians and exposed to all sorts of worldly things. They will also gain independence. With Alert they get to play military while also being heavily indoctrinated with fundamental Christianity. Alert also makes IBLP a good bit of money, I'm betting. The basic training costs are around $5000. The whole course can be up to $24,000. 

Alert did go to Fiji. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 6

On 19 april 2016 at 10:03 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

I haven't been camping since I was a child.

Communal dressing rooms--- I remember some stores had them when I was a teen (90s) and it was a pain in the ass to try clothes on knowing other customers and employees can see you strip down to your skivvies.  I believe they saw this as a way to prevent theft.

Today, many locker rooms have them.  I'm personally not comfortable changing out in the open.  My gym has this, but they also have two stalls for private changing (which I use).  I'd change in a bathroom stall before out in the open.  There seems to be a generation gap when it comes to the people who change in the open vs using the stalls.  50+ change in the open and the younger women use the stalls.

I live in Sweden. From pre-school and up communal changing rooms is standard, the same goes for gyms and swimming pools everywhere. Most people seem to change in these areas with communal showers and lockers for ones clothes. Those who does not feel comfortable change in a bathroom or at home. But in physical education is compulsory in school so you can't avoid the communal changing rooms there.

On a side note, the indoor swimming pool in my city has been lbtq-certified and has a flex-changing room. It is a room with small stalls where one can change into swimware in more privacy. From the beginning it was aimed at families where parents could change together with their children (no matter the gender of parent/child), but now it is also a changing room for non-binary people as well as transpeople. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

They are going to get shipped off with non-fundamental Christians and exposed to all sorts of worldly things. They will also gain independence. With Alert they get to play military while also being heavily indoctrinated with fundamental Christianity. Alert also makes IBLP a good bit of money, I'm betting. The basic training costs are around $5000. The whole course can be up to $24,000. 

Alert did go to Fiji. 

Ah! Something tells me the bolded is probably the real reason, with the potential for independence and escape running a close second. 

• Upvote 2

I know it's not something they would publicize, but is anyone aware of any weapons training that goes on at ALERT?  
Wondering if they have any sort of large or small arsenal.

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

I know it's not something they would publicize, but is anyone aware of any weapons training that goes on at ALERT?  
Wondering if they have any sort of large or small arsenal.

I'm wondering this as well. If they do, I would be willing to bet they're on the government's radar (to be honest, I think they are anyway, arsenal or not, just a gut feeling).

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2016 at 5:14 PM, Casserole said:

I don't know. They're from Alaska. She was attending college, somewhere in the south. Her parents moved to Chicago... and somehow teleported to Arkansas to then get in a car and drive to her mysterious college location to pick her up. Then, they all teleported to Oklahoma City to drive together back to Chicago. 

That's what I got from her post. Clearly, she has wonderful story telling skills. SOTDRT at its finest. 

My guess is that she grew up in Wasilla (the absolute worst part of Alaska, and not just because it spawns Palins.) and went to school in Oklahoma City. While she was away at school (Alaska has all of two universities, University of Alaska and Alaska Pacific University) her parents decided to move to Chicago for a position with some ministry. They flew to Chicago. Then they drove to Oklahoma to pick up their daughter and take her back to Chicago. 

The most telling part of this person's blog is the fact that she obviously doesn't talk to people who aren't family. She's not sad to leave friend or relatives behind in Alaska. She's not excited to be graduating while also sad to be leaving her friends. There's nothing about her interacting or learning anything from anyone. It's pathetically sad and so arrogant. 

• Upvote 2

All I can think of is one of the Redneck comics in a suit and tie and perched on a lawnmower.  But not being funny.

That's an insult to rednecks.[emoji4]

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Hera said:

Other commenters have touched on the isolationism (being surrounded by "like-minded" others while being shaped/re-shaped through discipline and drill), but I saw another side to this. Granted, the basis was VF influence, not ATI, but I wonder if the mindset might be the same.

Our former associates did not support military service because of the whole NWO (new world order) thing. Instead of upholding and protecting the Constitution, members of our military might find themselves under the orders of UN officials/officers.

And with the anti-government fervor (I'm thinking of Ollie North, though I might be making the wrong connection) -- the mindset is that the government is out to get "us", the government is seeking to exert more and more control over us and take away more and more of our rights (cf. the parental rights amendment and the resistance to the UN child rights resolution), and someone who joins the military might eventually find themselves ordered to shoot citizens who are standing up for their rights against the government (think the recent Oregon wildlife refuge standoff, for the latest in a string of anti-government standoffs) -- yes, even women and children! Look at what happened in Waco! /s

Much better to train with other folks in the interest of forming the possibility for a militia, to have a trained and disciplined force to call on when society falls apart... or maybe the government oversteps its bounds at last.

• Upvote 2