IGNORED

#Big Sandy 2016

picklepizzas

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Do my old eyes decieve me, or is the road at the top of the campground "Smug Oak Lane"?

I noticed that too! They sure think Joshy and his pickle are special there, don't they? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Oh no, the crunchy curl look is back!

1. Oh, good grief, Michelle and Jim Bob.  Just buy an XXXXL shirt and wear it together, already!  (Two-headed Dugger monster.)
  2. Why is Boob scowling and Michelle smiling, awkwardly?
  3. It must've been very humid there last night, judging from the hair and the bangs--not Boob's, of course.  His is protected by a helmet of hairspray.
  4. If I were more evil than I already am, I would Photoshop Jinger's left index finger to be bent down at the knucke.  (That would make Boob's scowl more contextual.)
  • Upvote 17

2 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:
  1. Oh, good grief, Michelle and Jim Bob.  Just buy an XXXXL shirt and wear it together, already!  (Two-headed Dugger monster.)
  3. It must've been very humid there last night, judging from the hair and the bangs--not Boob's, of course.  His is protected by a helmet of hairspray.
  4. If I were more evil than I already am, I would Photoshop Jinger's left index finger to be bent down at the knucke.  (That would make Boob's scowl more contextual.)

I'm not sure I'd call it a scowl. It looks more like a put-on serious look, a sort of frowning concentration -- I've seen that look on people's faces when their thoughts are a million miles away from what is being said.

• Upvote 6

18 hours ago, Ali said:

@happy atheist #Godisgood (God is good) #inspiteofus (in spite of us)

Oh. That makes no sense to me, but thanks for explaining it.

14 hours ago, smittykins said:

Can "Professional Creationist" be a post title, @happy atheist?

Sure!

• Upvote 6

Jinger's over 18. WHY do they have to stand on the podium with her? Surely they're not giving HER validation?

• Upvote 11

16 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@19 cats and counting, Loehmann's was famous for their communal changing rooms as well as their great deals on women's clothes.  The late Erma Bombeck wrote All I Know About Animal Behavior, I Learned in the Loehmann's Dressing Room.

Erma was a newspaperwoman who became a SAHM when she and her husband adopted a little girl but then she began to write humor columns for the Dayton, Ohio shoppers. Her column grew and began to be carried by more and more papers.  My aunt in  Cincinnati was/is a big fan.  Erma was next-door neighbors to Phil Donahue when they both lived in the Dayton area.

Erma Bombeck

I loved reading Erma Bombeck's columns and books. I still enjoy A Marriage Made in Heaven (or Too Tired for an Affair). I cried when she passed away.

Her columns were syndicated in my local paper, and I read them when I was a teenager, as well as Mike Royko, Bob Greene, and Dave Berry. Great memories.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

And yet you were all to live in a cabin together? I know that at camp and youth retreats and that sort of thing, I watched how the other girls would change clothes in ways that you couldn't see anything, and learned to do the same. Honestly, if that was the case, why couldn't there have been how-to sessions rather than policing like that? I hope no one gave anyone a hard time for looking wrinkled-up from having to change in sleeping bags. Interesting......

Knicker trick, learned at swimming lessons aged 7 or 8.  Also known as how to swap underwear for a on piece bathing suit without being naked.  Not cos we're fundy, but just because we could.

• Upvote 2

Why don't they just live stream this shit? It would be better than watching criminal trials all day (which I love ding, but right now there is nothing exciting happening). 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, seattlechic said:

Why don't they just live stream this shit? It would be better than watching criminal trials all day (which I love ding, but right now there is nothing exciting happening). 

Because that would be giving it away for free and we can't have that now can we?  Coffers are not as overflowing as they used to be.

• Upvote 10

16 minutes ago, Dark Matters said:

Because that would be giving it away for free and we can't have that now can we?  Coffers are not as overflowing as they used to be.

But, but, but Jesus would do that for free! Wait, this ain't about Jesus, I forgot. My baaaaaaaaaaad

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

If Jinger is finally caring for her curls correctly (co-washing and lots of moisture, no heated styling tools and no brushing/combing) then her hair is much healthier for it.  The crunchy look can be part of the learning curve:  you find out what products leave your hair soft and not crunchy after you've released the gel cast, IOW, scrunching your hair after it's dry.  I like Curls Creme Brûlée and DevaCurl Supercreme.  I've used some products that felt like I'd shellacked my head!

Curls rock!

I have hair like Jinger's and I love DevaCurl! Also, Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner does wonders. It definitely is a learning curve. All through middle and early high school I had crunchy curls! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, seattlechic said:

according to that post of jinger, boob and j chelle, they are livestreaming it somewhere!  the poster hashtagged #thankfulforlivestream. 

interesting that they dropped any mention of the duggars from the agenda, but they were still apparently an integral part of the opening ceremony. 

ETA: Found this detailed schedule, thought others might find it interesting: http://familyconferences.org/files/2015/12/Big-Sandy-Schedule-2016.pdf 

ETA Again: Apparently "beware of pitching your tent towards sodom" is a STUDENT section. (Also how weird is it that kelly's name was dropped from the pdf?)

Edited by picklepizzas
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, refugee said:

I'm not sure I'd call it a scowl. It looks more like a put-on serious look, a sort of frowning concentration -- I've seen that look on people's faces when their thoughts are a million miles away from what is being said.

It's a  " look momma, our little jinger is a conference leader, MC,

Conference organiser, all round wise women." Look.

My personal faves:

Sunrise on the sinner (Dude. Wait. What?)

The power of the tongue (a crowd pleaser, ifyouknowhwatimean)

Learning Calligraphy to Minister God’s Word and Drawing People to Christ with Chalk Art (dafuq????)

• Upvote 9

34 minutes ago, seattlechic said:

My personal faves:

Sunrise on the sinner (Dude. Wait. What?)

The power of the tongue (a crowd pleaser, ifyouknowhwatimean)

Learning Calligraphy to Minister God’s Word and Drawing People to Christ with Chalk Art (dafuq????)

I'm assuming like Pinterest art to sell at retreats and on Etsy for dat cash monayyyyy.

Josiah's ex gf Marjorie had a pic on her instagram of a prayer in Spanish that she hand lettered for her grandma and it was very beautiful.

It might also be a way to break into the wedding scene which can rake in big $$$$ if you do it right. Hand lettered envelopes and invitation suites are expensive and coming back in style.

It's a craft, so women can do it and still make money for their future brood. And you can start them young so they can have a nice nest egg to give over to their husbands when they get married save for the future.

• Upvote 7

On 4/19/2016 at 0:53 PM, quiversR4hunting said:

Interesting that his marriage status wasn't shouted loud and proud on all the sites I went too. Usually these people preach marriage from the rooftops and how many children and how godly they are to be sheparding new arrows in this awful liberal mean world.

In case it isn't the same guy- link is in spoiler. To me it seems like the same picture.

If this is the speaker, how did he get so deep into ATI? Duke (Methodist history) for undergrad and UofM (secular) law school? He is speaking for ATI yet he has a real, bona fide law degree!

Peter's father is Roger Magnuson who went to Harvard Law school and I believe he co-founded Oak Brook Law School that's ATI affiliated... They are pretty knee deep fundie. They sent all of his sisters to Bob Jones and other colleges in Minnesota and some of his sisters work. It's interesting that they are having him speak as if he is another David Waller. They always brag and mention how the father went to Harvard on every website about the family. Peter married a fundie he met in Ann Arbor while attending law school and works at Faegre. Yes, I found this all online I had no idea how fundie this family was so I did some investigating LOL. It is disappointing to me that after all of the education Peter received, he is STILL affiliating himself with IBLP! Also, why affiliate yourself with IBLP when you are working at a law firm? IBLP is against being part of businesses with other people...

8 hours ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

Why weren't the Duggars listed as speakers???

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 5

"The Demonic-like Nature of Anger"-- oof, double dog adjective.

Seems like dominionism is the theme of this year's conference. How many hours can these people bear to sit and listen to the same guy talk about how Ben Franklin was an evangelical baptist and the Louisiana Purchase was debt-free, but nobody knows about it because of the media conspiracy to cover it up?

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

OMG! @happy atheist "protected by a helmet of hairspray"  this needs to be a post count. 

• Upvote 12

11 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Oh no, the crunchy curl look is back!

Wow. Anything to shoehorn themselves into relevance, right? Opening ceremony, my ass. :roll:

• Upvote 3

I find it interesting though that Jinger goes all crunchy for Sandy but on Counting On, she's normally got it straight or loosely waved.  Forced to change it for the session so she's within their little "Godly dress code"?

• Upvote 4

Has anyone seen if Binjerman, Jessa and the Emergin Spurgeon are at Big Sandy? How about JillyMuffin, Dreck and Iz-rull? I heard a rumor that Dreck had an appointment with his oral surgeon in AR, that's a good excuse to come back for this blessed and precious event, a time of such sweet fellowship. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

Has anyone seen if Binjerman, Jessa and the Emergin Spurgeon are at Big Sandy? How about JillyMuffin, Dreck and Iz-rull? I heard a rumor that Dreck had an appointment with his oral surgeon in AR, that's a good excuse to come back for this blessed and precious event, a time of such sweet fellowship. 

I am sure he is purposing to fulfill this season of life with some blessed appointments.

• Upvote 11

Do any of the families followed here have podcasts? This question came to mind since someone mentioned live streaming. I can't watch video at work, but it would be interesting to listen to some of these families doing a podcast.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

"The Demonic-like Nature of Anger"-- oof, double dog adjective.

Seems like dominionism is the theme of this year's conference. How many hours can these people bear to sit and listen to the same guy talk about how Ben Franklin was an evangelical baptist and the Louisiana Purchase was debt-free, but nobody knows about it because of the media conspiracy to cover it up?

I think I would enjoy sitting and listening to that. I love a good conspiracy! I love people watching too, watching everyone getting riled up in this would be fascinating to me. Not for hours though.

To me,  Jinger looks like Michelle in that photo.

• Upvote 6