IGNORED

#Big Sandy 2016

picklepizzas

15 hours ago, divadivine said:

Dwain Swanson... Were his parents graduates of the SOTDRT? Seriously, did they spell the name phonetically? People need a license to drive and fish, but you can screw up a child's life because you give them a yoooonique spelling of a common name. Dipshits. 

I vote for mobile bikini waxing bus! 

This. So much this! Yooonique spellings are a huge pet peeve of mine. Glad to know I'm not alone! 

• Upvote 6

On 4/19/2016 at 8:41 AM, 19 cats and counting said:

So I was looking at the website and there's a speaker named Gabriel Cleator who works for ATI.

I don't know much about him, but maybe he'll be the one to take Jana out of Arkansas.

Does he have dirt under his fingernails because you know she wants a guy who doesn't scrub his hands...sorry, just had to. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, BeccaGrim said:

Does he have dirt under his fingernails because you know she wants a guy who doesn't scrub his hands...sorry, just had to. 

After I realized he was very high up in ATI circles, I think that he's got a better chance of marrying Tori Bates.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Dandruff said:

What would these guys do if they were in the midst of disaster relief and a woman needed help giving birth?  Call their mothers and try to find a female to assist?

It would be God's will if mother and child died, no doubt.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

My guess is that she grew up in Wasilla (the absolute worst part of Alaska, and not just because it spawns Palins.) and went to school in Oklahoma City. While she was away at school (Alaska has all of two universities, University of Alaska and Alaska Pacific University) her parents decided to move to Chicago for a position with some ministry. They flew to Chicago. Then they drove to Oklahoma to pick up their daughter and take her back to Chicago. 

The most telling part of this person's blog is the fact that she obviously doesn't talk to people who aren't family. She's not sad to leave friend or relatives behind in Alaska. She's not excited to be graduating while also sad to be leaving her friends. There's nothing about her interacting or learning anything from anyone. It's pathetically sad and so arrogant. 

Why is Wasilla so bad?

8 minutes ago, Sundaymorning said:

Why is Wasilla so bad?

(I live on the east coast, no Alaska knowledge.)

This is a town that elected Sarah Palin as mayor (and launched her political career).  That alone is bad enough.

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, refugee said:

Other commenters have touched on the isolationism (being surrounded by "like-minded" others while being shaped/re-shaped through discipline and drill), but I saw another side to this. Granted, the basis was VF influence, not ATI, but I wonder if the mindset might be the same.

Our former associates did not support military service because of the whole NWO (new world order) thing. Instead of upholding and protecting the Constitution, members of our military might find themselves under the orders of UN officials/officers.

And with the anti-government fervor (I'm thinking of Ollie North, though I might be making the wrong connection) -- the mindset is that the government is out to get "us", the government is seeking to exert more and more control over us and take away more and more of our rights (cf. the parental rights amendment and the resistance to the UN child rights resolution), and someone who joins the military might eventually find themselves ordered to shoot citizens who are standing up for their rights against the government (think the recent Oregon wildlife refuge standoff, for the latest in a string of anti-government standoffs) -- yes, even women and children! Look at what happened in Waco! /s

Much better to train with other folks in the interest of forming the possibility for a militia, to have a trained and disciplined force to call on when society falls apart... or maybe the government oversteps its bounds at last.

Given that Ollie North was staunch part of government and broke the law.....can we say hypocrite?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

After I realized he was very high up in ATI circles, I think that he's got a better chance of marrying Tori Bates.

The Bates girls do seem to attract Fundie royalty and the Duggars not so much so. Is there a reason for this?

• Upvote 2

Just now, BeccaGrim said:

The Bates girls do seem to attract Fundie royalty and the Duggars not so much so. Is there a reason for this?

Gil's on the ATI board of directors.  That makes him and his family fundie royalty themselves.  His daughters married a fellow BOD's son, Congressman's son, and an ATI employee.  His courting son is courting an ATI girl (if they're royalty, it is not known to me).  (Zach married a regular girl he met on her job at a fast food restaurant). 

My other guess is that JB is very picky about the suitors that he lets through the gate.  He wants malleable yes men who may or may not become his lawn and toilet boy (he seems to forget there's Howlers for that).  Truth be told, I'm not sure if he'd let a Bates girl husband or even TFDW through the gate.  

I just can't picture fundie royalty putting up with cleaning toilets for JB.  

• Upvote 2

Gil seems to want to make sure none of his kids stray too far from ATI, and having them marry into the cult is one way to do that. 

• Upvote 11

"Dwain is a man of God and an energy giver to all he meets because he has been struck by lighting 17 times.   While attempting to reach out to hundreds of men, he has electrocuted over 36 by our count.  You may have some difficulty understanding him but he has been saved so many times we know god has a purpose for him. 

Please open your hearts to him.  Do not wear any metal during his talk.  Attend at your own risk.

Edited by Carol
  • Upvote 17

30 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

The fact that they're Duggars probably runs most folks off.  There are the cameras, which most people don't want. Then the pretense of religion, again a turn off. And also their dirty little secrets seem to be well known amongst their crowd. While I'd like to think they'd be rejected for covering up molestation, I think it's equally likely that no one in the know wants to be associated. Honestly, poor Anna's probably been "Poor Anna, you know what her husband did" for as long as she knew Josh.  The gossip, er, catching up of Kind Christian Women is vicious.

Edited by Hera
Damn you autocorrect!!
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Sundaymorning said:

Why is Wasilla so bad?

It's not like it's terrible. It's just a crappy town that consists of a Wal-Mart, a school, cheap housing. Most people in Wasilla either commute to Anchorage or they have jobs "on the slope" (oilfields in the North Slope region of Alaska. there is no actual slope. Most of these workers will fly out of Anchorage for 2 weeks at a minimum, live in a dorm, and then get two weeks (or more) off at home.) Some (most?) of them are people who moved here from the Gulf Coast region to make money and pretty much hate everything about Alaska and especially Anchorage. The weird churches out there bussed people in from the Valley to speak to the Anchorage assembly (and to protest) about some piece of Anchorage legislation that they didn't like. It was, I believe about adding LGBT rights to the non-discrimination clauses. They love to hate on Anchorage and yet they also love to come to Anchorage to eat at shitty chain restaurants and shop. If you are going to complain about Anchorage, at least don't judge it by the Olive Garden. 

It's also not very attractive. I mean, architecture in Alaska isn't really pretty, but Wasilla has no charm at all. It's just boxes. It's not at all like Anchorage, which is nestled between some mountains and the inlet/ocean. Wasilla has a highway. There are also two lakes, but those can't be seen when driving through. 

Wasilla can be found along side just about any highway in the US.  

In comparison, there are other towns and villages that are less white and more established. Even in the Mat-Su Valley, where Wasilla is located, there are other towns that are  more Alaskan. Willow has next to nothing, but there are huge communities of people with dog teams and farms and the gas station/pizza parlor/tackle shop is so much more authentic. 

• Upvote 2

I have a money-making idea for IBLP: a calendar of family camp speakers.  They could call it "Models of Mighty Manhood" and feature one dweeb a month, with corresponding glamour photo and quotable quotes ("Who Are You?").  Not that I'd really want to give these guys a cent...but I'd be giggling every time I looked at it.

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The military, despite documented dominance by evangelical types, has evil non-Christian heathens that good little ATI boys would have to associate with or take orders from. Plus now they allow gay people and women.

And I've said it a few times, but if you want to see what white/Christian privilege looks like, look no further than the fact that a paramilitary group run by a puritanical religious sect is allowed to operate unchecked in rural Texas, while anything that might suggest an ISIS or Al-Qaeda training camp (or could be an orphanage or a hospital, it all looks the same to the drones) gets blown to smithereens.

:Yes:

Also, imagine one of these fundies having to take orders from a woman or an outed gay man while they cuss at him. HAH! I would pay money to see that.

No, there is too much world in the military. Drinking, sex, democrats, athiests, feminists.

I'm actually glad these fundies aren't in the military. There is already way too much male privilege and sexual harassment and assault and micro-aggressions towards women in the military as it is. Imagine an influx of these young men who went to ALERT and think they know what real military service is about on top of being taught that they are so much better than women. No thanks!

My husband has met a few people who were from different cults or extremely religious families. One was a young man who grew up in a very conservative household, and reminded me of one of these ALERT boys. He was extremely naive, and tried to talk people out of talking about sexual things and cussing. He didn't make it out of boot camp. He met another dude who was part of a bona fide cult. He sent his paycheck to them and lived on a compound. I think he recently tapped out early.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The whole lineup for Big Sandy looks like a real snoozer...

If they want to bring in crowds- maybe David Waller can dress up like the Cheshire Cat and puff on a hookah while asking the crowd, "Who.....Are.....You....." 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

:Yes:

Also, imagine one of these fundies having to take orders from a woman or an outed gay man while they cuss at him. HAH! I would pay money to see that.

No, there is too much world in the military. Drinking, sex, democrats, athiests, feminists.

I'm actually glad these fundies aren't in the military. There is already way too much male privilege and sexual harassment and assault and micro-aggressions towards women in the military as it is. Imagine an influx of these young men who went to ALERT and think they know what real military service is about on top of being taught that they are so much better than women. No thanks!

My husband has met a few people who were from different cults or extremely religious families. One was a young man who grew up in a very conservative household, and reminded me of one of these ALERT boys. He was extremely naive, and tried to talk people out of talking about sexual things and cussing. He didn't make it out of boot camp. He met another dude who was part of a bona fide cult. He sent his paycheck to them and lived on a compound. I think he recently tapped out early.

I would have paid good money to witness that. From what I understand, the military has a strong Evangelical Christian influence/contingent (which I guess makes sense from a demographic standpoint), but pretty much everyone I know who served in the military could curse a blue streak (where do you think the phrase "curse like a sailor" came from?) and knew some very raunchy sexual songs and jokes (though apparently a lot of the raunchier jody calls aren't allowed anymore). It's just a way to deal with stress and build camaraderie.

• Upvote 2

My husband doubts about ALERT graduates being able to become real first responders or provide any real help during disaster relief.

• Upvote 6

From my standpoint, Alert is kind of silly. Boy scouts? Cute and useful. Military? Necessary and a serious job. But playing soldier when you are over 12 years old?

But I understand the need for it. Women in ATI have clearly defined roles as 'helpmeets' and can bond over births, babies and bridal showers. But the men's role is kind of vague. 'Headship' refers not to a job like 'helpmeet' but to hyrarchy. 'Provider' can mean a lot of things,  but since ATI men are supposed to be self employed, it does not give a whole lot of male bonding and indoctrination opportunitues.

Alert jumps in the gap by forging strong male bonds which in their turn will prevent ATI defections. Also it indoctrinates them with ATI ideas of menhood. And military style training probably probably helps to stamp out intellectual persuits or critical questioning. And who knows, having an 'army' (even if alert has no arms most of te individual boys/men will own guns or have access to them) can help to make the organisation more intimidating to defectors who want to cause serious trouble. 

So yes, its a clever move, even if a silly sight for us.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

It's heartbreaking to think it, but I'm fairly certain that people in their circle knew about the sexual assaults before they became public, and consider the girls "damaged goods".

• Upvote 5

Super late to the party, but I gotta mention something about the Alert Store.
I was floored to see that they sell 24 different Bibles (yes, I counted to double-check) and of those, only SIX are KJV (I counted multiple times, lol) 
Until then I had always "known" that Gothard had made sure that ATI is KJV only and that that is why the Duggars are. 

Mind = blown!

• Upvote 4

I don't remember Gothard being KJV only, he just attracted people who were KJV only. 

Here is a picture of Alert guys standing in front of a memorial to real military men. They don't appear to see the irony of them posing in front of this when they stick to their pretend army instead of doing the real thing. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 8

3 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

My husband doubts about ALERT graduates being able to become real first responders or provide any real help during disaster relief.

THIS. Being a first responder requires a lot of initiative, quick/critical thinking, empathy, flexibility, and ability to deal with a large variety of people of tons of different backgrounds/worldviews on what very well could be the worst day of their lives. None of those are skills or (blegh) Character Qualities that ATI or ALERT teach or endorse.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I have a money-making idea for IBLP: a calendar of family camp speakers.  They could call it "Models of Mighty Manhood" and feature one dweeb a month, with corresponding glamour photo and quotable quotes ("Who Are You?").  Not that I'd really want to give these guys a cent...but I'd be giggling every time I looked at it.

How about a "Dweeb calendar?"  That would be good for a whole year of hysteria, if you could hold back from flipping through all the months...

• Upvote 1