IGNORED

#Big Sandy 2016

picklepizzas

54 minutes ago, bertnee said:

That Alert application is hilarious. I love how they are trying to make it seem like this is a Really Big Deal. And the music rules:

Oh no! Not music with a lack of resolution!!!! :tw_scream:

What does lack of resolution and insistent rhythm even mean? And there is lots of classical music with dissonance. Those directions do not at all make clear what music is allowed and what isn't. They're just dancing around their real belief that "black" music is bad. 

And where the hell do they talk about lack of resolution in the Bible? Seriously, someone show me. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

The questions. :pb_eek:

"Explain your father and mother's relationship."

"Are you plagued with doubts concerning your salvation?"

"Do you ever struggle with your thought life?"

"Are you involved in a courtship?"

"If yes...would you say that your parents are 'guiding' or 'tolerating' this relationship? Explain."

"Have you ever heard or seen a spiritual being in your room or anywhere else?" :scared-eek:

And I haven't even gotten to the Father Questionnaire. Naturally, there's no Mother Questionnaire. :roll:

Yeah, I'd want to be sure that my first responder had properly answered these questions.

• Upvote 19

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

I love and want all of those dresses (except the green one).  Anyone know where they are from?

I want all but the brown one (I'd take it in another color).  

14 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

My husband is an athiest, but they gave him a blue camo Bible anyway, and on his tags it says he's American Baptist. When I asked why he said "I dunno, that's just what they put on there and I never said anything about it." 

My father & grandfather are/were never super religious & both were in the military. I showed Dad both sets of dog tags last year, & when I asked what the "C" & "P" meant on the tags themselves, Dad (he'd been in Korea) said that he'd been marked on the tag as a Protestant & my maternal grandfather (who'd been in WW2) had been a Catholic.

Maybe that's something that the military did back in the day, but it seems like they continue to do this now. But since I'm a civilian, I'm naturally not 100% certain.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

The ALERT application form only has room to name eight siblings. Where do I put the other eleventy names? :mouse-shock:

You only need to fill out your brothers' names because vaginas don't matter until marriage. Plus that way they can tell if you're more likely to have teh ghey. If you have more than 7 brothers, use additional paper.

I notice their "nondiscrimination statement" only includes racial/ethnic background. And I'm sure the only reason they're not opening and screening mail is because that's actual mail fraud, and illegal. 

The fact that they would ask a teenage boy to explain a history of sexual molestation is just :pb_eek: 

• Upvote 17

How would you react if your father restricted your association with certain friends with whom you desired to spend time?

2. What would you do if you were told by someone in authority to do something that, although it was morally right, interrupted your plans and was not something you wanted to do? ___

These sorts of questions show that Alert is all about creating mindless followers.

In consideration of the aforementioned benefits, I do voluntarily authorize the Institute in Basic Life Principles, and any of its officers, employees, or voluntary helpers responsible for the well-being the trainee, to personally provide, or to make reasonable arrangements for those life-saving procedures which appear to be reasonably necessary to preserve the life of the trainee in case of emergency during the period of time the trainee is participating in the ALERT Program

So much for trying to pretend Alert isn't run by IBLP.

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

The ALERT application form only has room to name eight siblings. Where do I put the other eleventy names? :mouse-shock:

List the 8 that you like best.  It's part of the quiz

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

"Describe your parents' relationship."  Monogamous, caucasion-coupled, heterosexual, modest, humble, God-fearing Christians who only copulate within the intimate privacy of their own bedroom on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday nights after 9:30, with the intent of procreating an army for the Lord.

You forgot SUBMISSION - that HAS to go in there somehow!

• Upvote 9

32 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

My father & grandfather are/were never super religious & both were in the military. I showed Dad both sets of dog tags last year, & when I asked what the "C" & "P" meant on the tags themselves, Dad (he'd been in Korea) said that he'd been marked on the tag as a Protestant & my maternal grandfather (who'd been in WW2) had been a Catholic.

Maybe that's something that the military did back in the day, but it seems like they continue to do this now. But since I'm a civilian, I'm naturally not 100% certain.

This is an interesting article about religion on dog tags.  

http://www.army.mil/article/123034/

It sounds like the only choices were C (Catholic), P (Protestant), and H (Hebrew, or Jewish) during WWII.  Now you can have anything put on your dog tag, or nothing at all.  There's a guy who posted a photo of his dog tags in an online forum.  His religion is listed as "Jedi Pimp."  Another says "Pastafarian."  

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

List the 8 that you like best.  It's part of the quiz

Seeing as how they use "J. Duggar" on the nametag, I suppose one only has to list something like J. Duggar if all of your siblings have names that start with the same letter!  :pb_lol:

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Elegant Mess said:

Seeing as how they use "J. Duggar" on the nametag, I suppose one only has to list something like J. Duggar if all of your siblings have names that start with the same letter!  :pb_lol:

And it's a good way to cover up shenanigans, too...

• Upvote 2

Perhaps Joshley should have been sent to Alert instead of whatever construction site he was sent to.  Of all the Duggar men, he seems like he would need it the most (although with his Chick Fil A habit, I doubt he'd pass the fitness test).

• Upvote 2

I wonder if Alert wouldn't take him. What he did would come out in the application and they might have denied him for that. 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I love and want all of those dresses (except the green one).  Anyone know where they are from?

The white one with blue stripes is from modcloth. I'm almost positive. 

The application wants to know the dates and types of your sexually transmitted diseases. And why does it possibly matter if you have been molested or physically abused?

1 hour ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

My Dad was in Vietnam and his dog tags are marked Catholic and the small Bible he was issued has "CATHOLIC" printed right on the front, so I'm assuming they issued Protestants a separate one. 

Marking the dog tags makes sense, for last rites/burial reasons. But people should totally be able to put "No Religion" or whatever less known religion they are an adherent of. 

Does anyone remember the controversy with the soldier who was a practicing Wiccan and died in Afghanistan and his widow wanted his tombstone marked with a pentagram? The military put up a big stink about it, saying it would offend the Christian families with relatives buried nearby, but finally relented and let it happen. From what I've heard, there have been atheists who stated their preference for leaving their tombstones blank (they can also choose to have the atom symbol, one of 38 approved symbols, put there) but there is apparently a lot of pressure in military cemeteries to have a symbol put there, and then push back if it's not the "right symbol."

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I wonder if Alert wouldn't take him. What he did would come out in the application and they might have denied him for that. 

There's also an age restriction on Alert but the Duggars seem to be the exception to the rule with Jeremiah (17).  Maybe 15 was considered too young.

But even when he was older I'm surprised they didn't send him.  Did JD or Joseph go or was Josiah the first J-kid?

39 minutes ago, Shiny said:

The application wants to know the dates and types of your sexually transmitted diseases. And why does it possibly matter if you have been molested or physically abused?

In fact, the only medical information they actually seem to want any information about are STDs.  They have "cancer" (no details required) and stroke and coma (again not interested in the details apparently) for which you just check "yes" or "no".  They claim they need this information as it could be a "deciding factor in a medical situation" but I can tell you if someone comes into the emergency room they're going to be a hell of a lot more interested in what kind of cancer, stroke or coma they had than what kind of STD they had.

• Upvote 6

I think I remember a discussion pre Joshgate the first, whereby it was commented on that Josh was the only Duggar boy of age to have not gone, but Josiah spent extra time there.  With this fuzzy memory in mind, I think that means JD went.  He's certainly done leading of the Alert lite activities which the boys going to Big Sandy do, I remember that from one of the Big Sandy specials.

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

My Dad was in Vietnam and his dog tags are marked Catholic and the small Bible he was issued has "CATHOLIC" printed right on the front, so I'm assuming they issued Protestants a separate one. 

Marking the dog tags makes sense, for last rites/burial reasons. But people should totally be able to put "No Religion" or whatever less known religion they are an adherent of. 

Does anyone remember the controversy with the soldier who was a practicing Wiccan and died in Afghanistan and his widow wanted his tombstone marked with a pentagram? The military put up a big stink about it, saying it would offend the Christian families with relatives buried nearby, but finally relented and let it happen. From what I've heard, there have been atheists who stated their preference for leaving their tombstones blank (they can also choose to have the atom symbol, one of 38 approved symbols, put there) but there is apparently a lot of pressure in military cemeteries to have a symbol put there, and then push back if it's not the "right symbol."

I'm basing what I am about to say based on my personal experience in 1983 when I went into Army Basic Traning.  (which I did not complete, it's a long story which I typically do not talk about and am coming out of my hole to partially discuss now on one aspect only).  They ask what your religion is.  Mine read "No Preference"  I am assuming that you could have put atheist on there.  No Preference meant you really didn't care what chaplain (or from what religion) came to you if you were wounded/dying/sick.  At the time, nope, I didn't care (my mother might have been in shock over that though).  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I do!  I did find this with a quick search, and as of now a pentagram is on the list of "available emblems" for government headstones and markers (meaning, headstones and markers placed in government cemeteries):

http://www.cem.va.gov/cem/docs/emblems.pdf

And it sounds like they finally dedicated the marker with the pentacle back in 2007, although she passed away in 2005.  

http://www.stripes.com/news/wiccans-dedicate-grave-at-arlington-1.66176

7 hours ago, formergothardite said:

You can tell Gothard helped write that. Government officials from all over the world are calling on Alert when they need help? :pb_rollseyes:

:pb_lol::pb_lol:

Can he give us just *one* example of this? Were they called when Katrina hit New Orleans? On any of the tornadoes in the last couple of years in the south/midwest? The flooding in Texas right now?

Somehow, I think not.

Shame, shame, Mr. Gothard. I seem to recall lying being on the big list of no no's.

• Upvote 8

In early 2001, when I enlisted (U.S. Army), I was able to select "None" or something like that on my dog tags. It's not really clear because my mother found out, freaked the fuck out, and insisted that I do something religious. I ended up choosing "Protestant" even though I wasn't really into the idea. 

In other words, what I really remember is my "I'm fundie when it's convenient" mother nagging me until I selected something that wasn't clearly atheist. Yeah. We don't talk at all these days, for a lot of reasons. 

• Upvote 4