IGNORED

Jill and Jessa Counting on--part 3

Criscat

32 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

And once she made a sarcastic remark about him being young. He seemed kind of annoyed. I liked it.

I loved that scene - you could tell he wanted to say something but perhaps was cut off

those TH's at the beginning were just too adorable and stupid for words

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An another thing TLC (since we know you're monitoring sites like this):  Were you lying back with the 14 kids and counting episode where you show the girls doing all that cooking (TTC) or are you lying now with the fall feast and the girls inept cooking ability?

All along, we've seen the girls make pickles, homemade soap, pancakes, eggs, turkey bacon, lots of taco salad type stuff, but now they can't cook?

:pufff:

29 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Oh nonononononono.  Those things all need to be simmered for a certain length of time and you can actually ruin them by burning or overcooking them which we will be covering in Home Economics 101.  We cover Couscous in Pre-Home Ec because it requires no cooking time so it is (almost) fool-proof.  I suppose you could ruin it by not measuring the water or by adding a stick of butter instead of a tablespoon, but provided you measure the water right and bring it to a boil before adding the couscous, it will be fine even if you let it sit for more than 5 minutes.

Also covered in Pre-Home Ec:

Opening an individual container of yogurt and sprinkling granola on top

Making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Cutting up an apple 

Adding a sliced banana to your cold cereal and milk

Note:  We will not be making toast this semester because of the unfortunate fire episode of last fall.  Toast will now be covered in Home Ec 101

I had home ec in grade 8 and then the school never offered it again

:D

I can cut an apple

6 minutes ago, nst said:

I loved that scene - you could tell he wanted to say something but perhaps was cut off

those TH's at the beginning were just too adorable and stupid for words

Which episode was this? I'd love to see Bin annoyed-- if only to prove he hasn't lost the ability to express all human emotion.

8 minutes ago, Mothership said:

An another thing TLC (since we know you're monitoring sites like this):  Were you lying back with the 14 kids and counting episode where you show the girls doing all that cooking (TTC) or are you lying now with the fall feast and the girls inept cooking ability?

All along, we've seen the girls make pickles, homemade soap, pancakes, eggs, turkey bacon, lots of taco salad type stuff, but now they can't cook?

I think this is TLC trying to make them relatable.

Most young women their age (at least the ones I know, and I work retail with a lot of girls their age) can't cook to save their lives. I have taught far too many girls how to make brownies without over cooking them in the last five years.. 

6 minutes ago, nst said:

I had home ec in grade 8 and then the school never offered it again

:D

I can cut an apple

In junior high, one semester was Home Ec. and the other semester was "industrial arts" (aka wood shop). In high school, I took a class every year, that fell into the Home ec. realm (it was an easy A). Like my sophomore year, I took a class called "Independent Living", and it was actually quite useful. It was all about budgeting, balancing your checkbook, paying bills, and other assorted stuff. I took Child Development too, because I wanted a flour bag baby.

31 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Stay tuned for the entire class devoted to TTC and the frozen vegetables eaten without thawing unit!

Frozen? Beyond tater tots? Canned is more like it.

The only apparent thing that Michelle actually taught those girls is how to submit in the marital bed.

42 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

She did criticize him that one time about how he flings water off of his toothbrush and gets it all over the mirror.

And once she made a sarcastic remark about him being young. He seemed kind of annoyed. I liked it.

That is true actually. And he was similarly annoyed in the recent episode when she said she dealt with the input, he dealt with the output. 

She doesn't point out how inept he is at whatever the male equivalent of cooking (possibly working!?) is though. She just seems full of praise for him, or at least she did before Spurgeon was born.

Just now, SnazzyNazzy said:

In junior high, one semester was Home Ec. and the other semester was "industrial arts" (aka wood shop). In high school, I took a class every year, that fell into the Home ec. realm (it was an easy A). Like my sophomore year, I took a class called "Independent Living", and it was actually quite useful. It was all about budgeting, balancing your checkbook, paying bills, and other assorted stuff. I took Child Development too, because I wanted a flour bag baby.

That's what I had in Grade 8 & 9.

I loved the Home Ec part. I didn't mind woodworking, hated computers and hated drafting. 

Dyslexia worked to my advantage... drafting - the teacher refused to let me use adaptations (larger paper or coloured overlays), so I got out of it two years running... he also taught the computer portion. I had to take it in Grade 8, but was exempt in Grade 9. 

32 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

Which episode was this? I'd love to see Bin annoyed-- if only to prove he hasn't lost the ability to express all human emotion.

It was the one where Jessa went to Ben's family's house and his sisters taught her how to cook his favorite meal. During a talking head segment, Ben asked something along the lines of "what other things did my sister's tell you." And she said something like - "They told me about things from when you were a kid. Like...last year." (I can't remember the exact quote.) And then Ben says something about that not being very nice.

Just now, ClaraOswin said:

It was the one where Jessa went to Ben's family's house and his sisters taught her how to cook his favorite meal. During a talking head segment, Ben asked something along the lines of "what other things did my sister's tell you." And she said something like - "They told me about things from when you were a kid. Like...last year." (I can't remember the exact quote.) And then Ben says something about that not being very nice.

Oh yes I do remember that very vaguely. Not one of the most riveting episodes, can't say I paid that much attention haha. 

3 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Unless I'm misremembering, the girls have had comforters to sleep with, so they're familiar with at least that level of bedding. They may just not feel like making the bed every morning. I don't, but I also don't live with an SO either. :P

It's not so much the SO as the camera crew.  I don't make my bed every morning, but no one is filming me.

5 hours ago, Wenny said:

Holy...William...Shatner.....pauses....thisshowis....terr..itble.  I agree that when Jana was speaking Jessa was arguing with Ben. I find it funny that at one point Ben wanted to be a actor, didn't one of the Teen mom's husband wanted to as well? Why do reality star want to act. 

Attention at any price.

In 7th and 8th grade junior high, we had classes called Industrial Tech and Family and Consumer Science (basically home ec) You could choose different stations to learn various life/home skills. I had the laundry/sewing unit for one session. One of the requirements was to sew a button on a piece of fabric. And, they tried to make this as easy as possible. It was a GIANT yellow button on a piece of felt. The first attempt, my button fell off. The second attempt, I had accidentally sewn two pieces of cloth together. As for the third attempt, I don't remember what I did, but I do recall asking the teacher for help MANY times. Finally, she just came over and said if I stopped bothering her so much, she would give me an A. I'm 28 and I still can't sew at all. That's what Mr. Museum is for lol. As for cooking, I'm no amazing chef, but if there's an online tutorial or recipe, then there's no problem. If you can read, you can cook. There's probably similar sewing tutorials, but nahhhhh....

4 hours ago, socalrules said:

You are probably right. I never thought of that. It would never occur to them to have the two different sheets, light blanket and maybe a comforter as well depending on the temp. They hang everything up so it wouldn't occur to them that not everything has to be hung up and can just be put in a dresser. They likely never had a lot of items that were just theirs alone, so they would not know how to properly organize snd store different items. They never put up posters and random pictures taken with friends in a photo booth. No school artwork or fun collages decorated their walls. No medals or trouphies won. Just a picture of their dad next to their bed (I think that was the Duggars).

Jim Bob and Michelle decided how everything was organized or laid out. It's probably why Jill and Jessa's homes have a billion photos on the wall and look like grandmas live there.  They don't know that there is another way. They have never been allowed to decorate in their own style or have a style, which is why we see the Erin Bates pinkalious bedroom now that she has her own home. 

Totally off topic, but they redecorated that room. Still has the same pink bedspread, but the walls are a dark green now. Not really my taste, but I think it works well enough.

Carry on as I hang my head in shame for knowing this off the top of my head. :pb_lol:

5 hours ago, Mothership said:

1) they're unfamiliar with bedding other than bottom sheets and pillows

They've been in plenty of hotels, though granted they wouldn't have been making the beds.  And one would think that their genius husbands could offer a clue...

I think this lack of bed making/house cleaning is a symptom of a lack of self discipline.  Think about it!  In regular school you learn so much about just basic time management. Getting a project in on time, studying for a test. Ect...  Duggar SOTDRT did none of that.  I'm sure over the years filming took priority over school work.  So, no need to feel any pressure over silly old school work,  That can just be done later!    Mom or Jana will even tell us when to do it.   Those kids were always told what to do and when to do it. Most normal teen are involved in a extra curricular school thing or a part-time job which would require some planning and time management.  But not the Duggars!  I'm sure someone was checking their "jurisdiction" to make sure that was done too.  Even courting had a chaparone (and a camera crew) to keep everything moving along. Now all of a sudden they are married and in charge. With no one checking up on them, so no need to clean.    

5 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Unless I'm misremembering, the girls have had comforters to sleep with, so they're familiar with at least that level of bedding. They may just not feel like making the bed every morning. I don't, but I also don't live with an SO either. :P

And you don't have camera crews coming in to film you in a program that will be shown to hundreds of leghumpers who feel that you are teaching by example the better way to live.   

2 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

the episode she goes to his house and cooks for him

47 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

They've been in plenty of hotels, though granted they wouldn't have been making the beds.  And one would think that their genius husbands could offer a clue...

21 people in a couple of hotel rooms.... pillows, sheets and blankets, optional.

Face it, they never experienced life the way that most of us have- they live and exist in Duggarville. They are bots. No original ideas or thoughts and certainly no follow through, as there are no real goals.

This is why Jill is struggling so much. She is trying to live life away from her lifeline, AKA Duggarville. There is no Jana to pop over and start dinner and a load of laundry.

JB and M have, to date, raised fairly useless adults.

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

21 people in a couple of hotel rooms.... pillows, sheets and blankets, optional.

Face it, they never experienced life the way that most of us have- they live and exist in Duggarville. They are bots. No original ideas or thoughts and certainly no follow through, as there are no real goals.

This is why Jill is struggling so much. She is trying to live life away from her lifeline, AKA Duggarville. There is no Jana to pop over and start dinner and a load of laundry.

By that reasoning Jana is the most competent of all the kids and, sadly, will never get the chance to leave the TTH until all the other kids are married off/leave

6 minutes ago, Hiddenomaha said:

By that reasoning Jana is the most competent of all the kids and, sadly, will never get the chance to leave the TTH until all the other kids are married off/leave

I think Jana and JD are the most competent Duggarettes. 

26 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

and every time we saw them in hotel rooms - there were endless messes there as well. 

plus curiling irons they all paraded around 

as for  dairy queen her man -they are claiming they are more in love then ever 

Gross 

There is absolutely no reason why any of those kids would not know how to cook.  The whole point of Michelle being a stay at home mom is supposedly to teach these kids some domestic skills.  Either they are lying about their ineptness because they mistakenly think it will be more interesting,  or they were lying about how they were learning domestic skills way back with the first several specials and seasons.  And,  We have lots of filmed evidence of the older girls cooking, including that year they spent with an absentee mother while Michelle stayed with the miracle Josie.  We saw them cooking in that historic home they trashed in Little Rock, and we have seen them cooking in their little ranch before the TTH, and we have seen them cooking  in the TTH also.

I am not sure why TLC is taking the route of showing just how unprepared these kids are to live on their own.  If the Duggars really see this as their mission, then I would think they would want to show the successes of their crazy lifestyle.  We should all be seeing these kids with spotless homes, decent meals, etc , so we can sit back and admire the great parenting skills that JB and Michelle supposedly did.    Instead,  we see girls in their 20's who can barely boil water or clean, we see at least 1 girl with 1 kid who apparently can't remember how to pack a diaper bag.  When you consider that others in their cult value women who are homemakers and breeders,  these kids are sure not representative of that.  For the single girls, whose only destiny in life is to marry and breed,  this is dismal.  If I were a fundie male looking for a helpmeet,  these shows would convince me to move on down the road, because other than Jana perhaps,  none of them are capable of doing much more than curling their hair and applying eye makeup.  And because their education is so limited, none of them are capable of any sort of sustained interesting conversation.

22 minutes ago, nst said:

and every time we saw them in hotel rooms - there were endless messes there as well. 

plus curiling irons they all paraded around 

as for  dairy queen her man -they are claiming they are more in love then ever 

Gross 

It's fine to say that they are more in love than ever - but then they suggest people read 
His Needs, Her Needs. 

Looked it up on Amazon.    Amazon also advertises 

His Needs, Her Needs: Building an Affair-Proof Marriage

They need to suggest that reading material to their son.     

Besides, I thought they only read biblical stuff? 

Crap - if I had their mailing address I'd send the freakin book to Joshy boy

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived