IGNORED

Bates Family Part 13: Like Lipstick on a Pig

Boogalou

28 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I guess for when you open a Christian coffee cafe or bible store you will know what type of Muzak to use? LOL! And my family member just could not understand why they were unable to obtain a job out in the year world.

Have I mentioned lately how grateful I am that I hightailed it out of this mess and actually attended a real unversity? I honest to goodness sometimes have panic attacks thinking how different my life would be if I did not have the guts to peace out to this way of life. It was hard as hell and I lost a lot of people in my life, but I would not have a life if I did not make the decision I did. 

To the bolded: to make darn sure you don't defraud anyone with your choice of music.   Make sure it's the approved type of rhythm, not too many notes, or something like that?

Re your relative: sounds like a walking example of how life would have gone for you had you stayed.  Scary indeed.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Dear Lawson,

I also do two to five minutes of six inches most nights... If you know what I mean. :pb_lol:

This is HILARIOUS! :laughing-rolling:

On a serious note, those of you who are fawning all over the pretty Bates with their cute kids and pants and tank tops, go read through the IBLP/Gothard lawsuit. Bates and Paine covered for rape and molestation! These people are active members of a cult. Nothing pretty about it. 

3 minutes ago, iweartanktops said:

On a serious note, those of you who are fawning all over the pretty Bates with their cute kids and pants and tank tops, go read through the IBLP/Gothard lawsuit. Bates and Paine covered for rape and molestation! These people are active members of a cult. Nothing pretty about it. 

This.

As somebody who has escaped from this bullshit, let me assure you: They can sugar-coat it; dress it up; and even put whipped cream and nuts on top. But they are still a family that actively represents a damaging religion. They can have their kids all happy in the sunshine, all smiles and freckles, with kickball and fresh air - but unless the girls are all allowed to wear something but skirts and false modesty - DAMAGING.

Until Gil steps away from IBLP, and they give an official statement of having done so: No mercy from me.

Period.

If you give them wiggle room, you are either turning a blind eye to what they represent, or you have fallen prey to what they sell. Either one is bad.

6 minutes ago, iweartanktops said:

These people are active members of a cult. Nothing pretty about it. 

Exactly. Pretty is as pretty does and this family isn't pretty at all when you look at their beliefs. And that includes Alyssa with her stylish clothing and Perfect Chad. 

Because it can never be posted enough, this is what Gil Bate's IBLP Board of Directors Profile says:

Not only does Gil bring to the Board a wealth of practical wisdom on marriage and training up sons and daughters, but he also has a marvelous testimony about combining prayer, initiative, diligence, creativity, and patience in providing for his family. This has included a large home, a tree-trimming business with special equipment, and family transportation—all without a steady income and no debt! Gil and Kelly have taught their children how to be each other’s best friends, love family responsibilities, and maintain a grateful spirit. Over the years, they have taken their financial needs to the Lord and watched God provide opportunities for work. This has taught their children to have great faith in the Lord.

Quit your jobs and have eleventy children y'all, God will provide!

45 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Our third installment of "The Dinosaur Watches BUB: I May Have Lost My Mind"

- Dear Kelly,

Brandon being gracious to you jerks moving his shit while he was at work is a massive understatement.

- If someone says "encouraged" or "sweet" one more time I am going to toss the tv out the window.

- Michael's wedding turned out far better than any Duggar wedding by the way. I like to think it was the distinct lack of Sierra.

- Callie sobbing at the wedding broke my withered little heart. Fuck you Kelly and Gil! Fuck you both long and hard!

- I hate saying this, but I want to punch Zach a little bit. I think it's cause his face looks like his dad's. I feel a bit bad about that - only a bit though.

-  The female rider had to put her hands on Lawson to teach him a move during the trick riding scene at the ranch. I felt defrauded.

- Dear Gil,

You guys are constantly saying you need to get away and spend time together. And then you do... And then you say it all over again like two seconds later... Seriously. Do you ever actually work?

- I like what I heard during Erin's recording session. Never going to buy her CD - but good for her for being good at something she loves. 

- Dear Kelly,

The littles are so bonded to the big kids because that's who raised them. Instead of feeling pride over that you should feel ashamed.

- I'm assuming when they say, "we had a long talk with Jeb" they actually mean, "we beat our baby into submission." Could be wrong though.

- Pretty sure Jeb wasn't loving that obedience training shit by the way. Nice try though Gil.

- Ocean Roach? Really Kelly? (Says the snobby New Englander who has honestly never met anyone who hasn't heard of Horseshoe Crabs before. :pb_lol:)

- Hey Gil... Maybe try actually parenting rather than ordering Judson to thank his brother for pressuring him to take the fucking training wheels off his bike? Just a suggestion.  

- Alyssa was like, "Sorry not sorry that my baby blew chunks on you Carlin."

- Callie catches a fish before any of the guys. Callie wins at life!

- For fucks sake... DO YOU HAVE TO PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING?! Seriously, I won't be surprised if they film them praying for Gil to have a smooth bowel movement or something.

- I really enjoyed how terrified Kelly was during the police car scenes. Maybe that makes me a horrible person... But this is a woman who turned her eldest daughters into child raising slaves and blanket trained them all. So, yeah... Not sorry. At all. 

(Carlin was kind of hysterical though. And Whitney was the best - girlfriend was LOVING the entire experience!)

- Remind me to never piss Tori off. She was pretty good at shooting.

- I highly enjoyed watching the older Bates men getting bossed around by the Police Academy Teachers. Especially Gil. Fucking owned.

- Lawson did really seem to have fun with the kids at the Hospital. That little boy was the cutest little thing ever. I just hope Lawson sticks to the cute little songs and doesn't launch into all the over the top Because Jesus shit when cameras aren't around.

- Dear Lawson,

I also do two to five minutes of six inches most nights... If you know what I mean. :pb_lol:

I still have a few episodes before tonight's episode. I may have to gouge my eyes out and puncture my ear drums.

Do you always recap BUB!?  If so, I am going to spend more time here!   That was beautiful!

2 minutes ago, violynn said:

Do you always recap BUB!?  If so, I am going to spend more time here!   That was beautiful!

Lol! Nope. I started binge watching the show recently abd just wrote down whatever observations I could remember. I'd offer to do it live during episodes, but my husband might divorce me. :pb_lol:

3 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Because it can never be posted enough, this is what Gil Bate's IBLP Board of Directors Profile says:

Not even that, if you are a woman. You'll never have a real job worth quitting in the first place! Barefoot and always pregnant is their "godly purpose" in life.

Some of the more extremely damaging Quiverfull BS includes how women are always of a sinful nature, never to be fully trusted. That their ultimate redemption through Christ is to bear as many "blessed" children as they can, and if they die during childbirth it is basically holy martyrdom. Fuck that shit.

24 minutes ago, iweartanktops said:

Given all the outrage / disappointment with the Duggars over Joshgate 1.0 (molestations), one would think that the IBLP lawsuit showing that both Gil and Chad's father covered up sexual abuse would have a similiar effect.

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Lol! Nope. I started binge watching the show recently abd just wrote down whatever observations I could remember. I'd offer to do it live during episodes, but my husband might divorce me. :pb_lol:

Tell him to take up bowling or something one night a week ;)

3 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Given all the outrage / disappointment with the Duggars over Joshgate 1.0 (molestations), one would think that the IBLP lawsuit showing that both Gil and Chad's father covered up sexual abuse would have a similiar effect.

You'd think...but Bradley and Allie Jane are just sooooo cute!

16 minutes ago, violynn said:

I have seen Lawson talk to AJ's father on Twitter. He really seems to care about the little boy who is adorable by the way! My cousin faught cancer when he was AJ's age. He won and the cancer never returned!!

OK, as someone who teaches business at a faith-based college (but pretty mainstream, and I'm a heathen Unitarian-Universalist, so there's that...) and in the middle of the college search for my son, I HAD to check out Crown.

I love this on their Admissions form page (http://thecrowncollege.com/admissions/request-information/):

[ What School are you Interesting in Studying ]

(Nice start there, Crown!  Better than the glossy brochures most colleges send!  And there's a Promo Code?)

Their faculty list is also kind of lacking in PhDs - I only have a masters degree, but I'm an adjunct and would need to get my PhD if I wanted to teach full time.   And naturally a number of them got their own degrees at Crown.

As for the class list for business - they say clearly that the business school is to obtain the skills to run or start a small business, and their classes reflect that.  Basically it's bookkeeping (accounting), a lot of marketing, project management, web design, and of course half of the classes are Jesus and religion.  So if you're ready to launch or run a Christian business, you're all set!  Basically you're not going to be working for anyone else because you won't be qualified, but it seems like the next step up from the SOTDRT.  If they really want practical skills for running a business, these students would be better off going to a community college or two year college and getting practical instruction quickly, instead of spending an additional two years learning for Jesus.  Even at my college my students have to take a lot of actual business classes - I am currently teaching the second half of a financial management class - and we talk about company stocks and bonds and what's happening to companies in the the real world right now - something I would think sheltered kids wouldn't be able to discuss or relate to (such as how Apple leverages iTunes for movies and music, or Google (now Alphabet) and how it generates funding from its search engine) since those companies deal in things they are forbidden from partaking in.  I guess they have a niche, but it's a poor substitute for even an online associate's degree in general business.

Besides, why would they show women working towards business degrees?  Aren't they supposed to be home making dinner and babies?  Jim Sammons can teach them how to manage money - they don't need no fancy book-learnin' degree to help them fix a meal!

I have to admit I do sometimes find myself letting their charms and looks distract me from the fact that they are in a terrible cult. However, scenes like the one with Gill "training" Jeb help snap me back to reality. The whole clap to show me you'll obey was really disturbing to me.  

I still hold that they are slightly less unlikable than JB and Michelle though. 

Also the optimist in me really wants Erin's comments on IG to mean something good.

18 minutes ago, Snarkle said:

Besides, why would they show women working towards business degrees?  Aren't they supposed to be home making dinner and babies?  Jim Sammons can teach them how to manage money - they don't need no fancy book-learnin' degree to help them fix a meal!

Back in the 90's IBLP didn't just have the EXCEL program, it had the Advanced EXCEL program that, besides making an ugly skirt, the women/teen girls who took it had to show that they could run a home business. I barely made it through the regular EXCEL, so I never took that course, but it was going on at the same time my EXCEL was. If I am remembering correctly they had to create a pretend business, put together a business model and then show(I can't remember how) that it would be successful. 

Gothard wasn't actually that opposed to women having an "approved" business before marriage. They had to live at home, of course, and run it out of the home.  Even after marriage some of the IBLP women made money with businesses they ran out of their home. 

37 minutes ago, Kak said:

@VelociRapture I'm not from the U.S., nor did I see the BUB episode you're recapping. What is the horseshoe crab reference?

Please and thank you.

They go on a family vacation to Florida. While snorkeling in the bay, one of the employees shows them Horseshoe Crabs. Kelly mentions them in a TH abd talks about not seeing them before (because Tennessee) - that's when she calls them Ocean Roaches.

(It's one of the later episodes of Season Three.)

:pb_biggrin:

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Our third installment of "The Dinosaur Watches BUB: I May Have Lost My Mind"

- Dear Kelly,

Brandon being gracious to you jerks moving his shit while he was at work is a massive understatement.

- If someone says "encouraged" or "sweet" one more time I am going to toss the tv out the window.

- Michael's wedding turned out far better than any Duggar wedding by the way. I like to think it was the distinct lack of Sierra.

- Callie sobbing at the wedding broke my withered little heart. Fuck you Kelly and Gil! Fuck you both long and hard!

- I hate saying this, but I want to punch Zach a little bit. I think it's cause his face looks like his dad's. I feel a bit bad about that - only a bit though.

-  The female rider had to put her hands on Lawson to teach him a move during the trick riding scene at the ranch. I felt defrauded.

- Dear Gil,

You guys are constantly saying you need to get away and spend time together. And then you do... And then you say it all over again like two seconds later... Seriously. Do you ever actually work?

- I like what I heard during Erin's recording session. Never going to buy her CD - but good for her for being good at something she loves. 

- Dear Kelly,

The littles are so bonded to the big kids because that's who raised them. Instead of feeling pride over that you should feel ashamed.

- I'm assuming when they say, "we had a long talk with Jeb" they actually mean, "we beat our baby into submission." Could be wrong though.

- Pretty sure Jeb wasn't loving that obedience training shit by the way. Nice try though Gil.

- Ocean Roach? Really Kelly? (Says the snobby New Englander who has honestly never met anyone who hasn't heard of Horseshoe Crabs before. :pb_lol:)

- Hey Gil... Maybe try actually parenting rather than ordering Judson to thank his brother for pressuring him to take the fucking training wheels off his bike? Just a suggestion.  

- Alyssa was like, "Sorry not sorry that my baby blew chunks on you Carlin."

- Callie catches a fish before any of the guys. Callie wins at life!

- For fucks sake... DO YOU HAVE TO PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING?! Seriously, I won't be surprised if they film them praying for Gil to have a smooth bowel movement or something.

- I really enjoyed how terrified Kelly was during the police car scenes. Maybe that makes me a horrible person... But this is a woman who turned her eldest daughters into child raising slaves and blanket trained them all. So, yeah... Not sorry. At all. 

(Carlin was kind of hysterical though. And Whitney was the best - girlfriend was LOVING the entire experience!)

- Remind me to never piss Tori off. She was pretty good at shooting.

- I highly enjoyed watching the older Bates men getting bossed around by the Police Academy Teachers. Especially Gil. Fucking owned.

- Lawson did really seem to have fun with the kids at the Hospital. That little boy was the cutest little thing ever. I just hope Lawson sticks to the cute little songs and doesn't launch into all the over the top Because Jesus shit when cameras aren't around.

- Dear Lawson,

I still have a few episodes before tonight's episode. I may have to gouge my eyes out and puncture my ear drums.

I must say, I have a very dry sense of humor and hardly laugh. I literally laughed out loud so bad. This is "your calling", this needs to have its own recap spot somewhere. Like I'm howling right now. Thank you so much. 

26 minutes ago, Exjw2015deed said:

I must say, I have a very dry sense of humor and hardly laugh. I literally laughed out loud so bad. This is "your calling", this needs to have its own recap spot somewhere. Like I'm howling right now. Thank you so much. 

Lol! Why thank you. If I'm able to watch tonight then I'll type something up - maybe not in real time the way Buzzard does with the Duggars (I swear, I don't think she's actually human - she types SO fast!)

And if hubby gets home during it and gives me a hard time... I'll just remind him about how much he loves to do two to five minutes of six inches and if he wants to continue he should appease the wifey. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

I did a double take because I LEGITIMATELY thought those were the words he had on his profile.

And somehow ... I wasn't surprised. 

Okay so I was stalking their instagram and I noticed a picture about 12 weeks back of Tori, Gil, and Jeb and correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Tori is in yoga pants!!!!!!

30 minutes ago, Tomboy said:

Okay so I was stalking their instagram and I noticed a picture about 12 weeks back of Tori, Gil, and Jeb and correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Tori is in yoga pants!!!!!!

She might. Duggar daughters have been seen wearing pants at home too.

6 hours ago, Mecca said:

Come on now. You know that is not how it works around here. People can disagree. It is how FJ rolls.  

So anyway, about Crown College, I have a family member that attended and graduated from there. Their degree is worthless outside of Crown and its circle. The level of education they received was rather piss poor and is basically more indoctrination trying to be passed off as higher education. So now this family member is producing kids left and right and forced into the missionary field because no one in the real business world wants to hire a grad from an uncredited school with a Bachelors in Bible Studies in Business. Their story is not very different from other graduates. 

When I see the Bates kids attending there, it really means nothing looking at the bigger picture. It just means more indoctrination for them with a limited skill set that forces them into fundamental circles to gain any type of employment. I see it as another way of trying to control the kids by encouraging them to attend a school like Crown. 

I agree. 

I was raised in conservative-but-still-relatively-mainstream Southern Baptist Churches, and a lot of families pressured their kids into attending Christian colleges and universities. Unfortunately, not many of them really understood the way higher education works (and the ins and outs of why accreditation matters), and so I knew several kids who wound up at unaccredited schools that bankrupted their parents for degrees that weren't worth the paper they were printed on. A friend of mine wound up having to go into the military because his parents spent so much money on his older brother's tuition at Pensacola Christian College that they couldn't afford to help him pay for school at all. Last I heard, older brother had graduated with some kind of a Christian music education degree and couldn't find work with it. So I'm sure he wound up getting sucked further into fundiedom (they were one of the more conservative families at that church anyway) since it's the only place he could find work. 

I caught flak for not attending a Christian school. So did my dad; apparently, people were appalled that he "let" me choose a secular university. "Let me," my ass. He didn't get a vote. 

People really latch into things like this, such as when Jinger didn't wear a skirt, but it is essentially meaningless without knowing the precise context. The whole "eye traps" and modesty culture is about non-family for the most part.

Although Erika Shupe made a slightly disturbing comment about how she and her girls wanted to protect her boys... Gross.

If she was wearing yoga pants to an actual yoga class, that would be a different story.

4 hours ago, iweartanktops said:

I'm pretty stunned coming in here and seeing the Bates love. I've been keeping up on the GotHard lawsuit thread and can NOT believe that there is any minimizing of Gil's part in that mess on this site. 

@VelociRapture you're awesome! :laughing-rollingyellow:

11 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

I'm pretty stunned coming in here and seeing the Bates love. I've been keeping up on the GotHard lawsuit thread and can NOT believe that there is any minimizing of Gil's part in that mess on this site. 

@VelociRapture you're awesome! :laughing-rollingyellow:

I know. The Bates love really is mind-boggling given the context.

And @VelociRapture you really are amazing.  I've only watched one BUB episode.   I wan't sure whether I was on saccharine overload or my brains had turned to mush.

Probably both!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived