IGNORED

Bates Family: Babies Galore! Part 12

Boogalou

On 3/16/2016 at 9:33 AM, actuallyjessica said:

This is a discussion that comes up very often. I have to ask: how? Let's say somebody watches their show, sees them as a large family with cute kids who seem close without being weird, and generally happy. What happens next? They think "wow, I wanna be like them!" Then what happens? They google them? Go to their TV website? Their instagrams? Where are they spouting where their beliefs come from?

How do you think this supposed conversion happens?

The same way it happens at Maxwell conferences, with PeePee's church videos, Fox "News", and anything else. People already leaning in a direction find something terribly attractive, want to emulate it and boooooom. And yes, I think it is much easier to figure out the Bateseses are hardcore, skirts only patriarchical fundies than you imagine.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Snarkle, maybe it's just in M/TJM stores in the south or maybe the stores I've been in are not in major urban areas, but here there's just a Home Goods boutique in the Marshall's/TJMaxx stores.  I have seen Home Goods stores that aren't in a M/TJM though.  In Connecticut maybe or Charlotte?  Maybe Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville or Memphis?

There is a Home Goods store where I live in Nebraska. It's two stores down from Marshall's.

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

There is a Home Goods store where I live in Nebraska. It's two stores down from Marshall's.

There used to be two near me - one a town over from me in two different directions, but one closed.  I can't go there very often or it's like me at Staples - I come out with stuff I don't even need.  Living near the TJX mothership means there are a lot of them around.  They're nice for kitchenware and holiday stuff, though...

Just now, 19 cats and counting said:

If they're introducing Ashley it might not be boring.....

They are redecorating the girls room. Carlin has already gotten on my nerves and I am 3 minutes in.

Isn't 'Mystery Girl" involved in the redecorating?  I saw that on this thread.

Ashley just made an appearance just kidding it's interesting. Ashley is staying with the Bates for a week. My parents would never let my boyfriend sleep over.

It just started.  We're going to get to see them paint walls.  Yay.

Kelly (with Gil's hand on her leg):  Whenever a girl leaves we have an empty spot in the room.  Michael left and the girls want a new look.

They're looking at color slides but it's hard to agree.  Mild bickering.

Ashley was driven up to the house with Nathan and Lawson.  Nathan said they try to see each other once a month.

At Zach and Whitney's.  Whitney thinks the sofa clashes with the room.  They agree to shop for a new one.  Bradley sits on the sofa looking adorable with a book.

Back to the girl's room in the main house.  They prepare it for painting.  They chose grey but Kelly thinks it'll look bad and won't go with the rest of the house.  They start painting.

Commercials.

Zach and Whitney walk into an empty furniture store.  No sign of Bradley.  Employee asks them if they want help.  They sit on sofas and ask questions.  Choose a black sofa.  Employee discusses payment plans.

Room painted at main house.  Kelly doesn't like it.  Gil says "I'm impressed that y'all did it".

Ashley walks into the bedroom and hands one of the girls a cup of coffee.  She thinks the color looks OK.  Carlin says the room will look better with decorations. They tack stuff on the walls.  Kelly says the color was Josie's idea.  Kelly now doesn't know what she thinks.

Commercials.

6 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Zach and Whitney walk into an empty furniture store.  No sign of Bradley.  Employee asks them if they want help.  They sit on sofas and ask questions.  Choose a black sofa.  Employee discusses payment plans.

Room painted at main house.  Kelly doesn't like it.  Gil says "I'm impressed that y'all did it".

Ashley walks into the bedroom and hands one of the girls a cup of coffee.  She thinks the color looks OK.  Carlin says the room will look better with decorations. They tack stuff on the walls.  Kelly says the color was Josie's idea.  Kelly now doesn't know what she thinks.

Commercials.

Can we just talk about how Kelly says grey walls an 'urban' design

Yep, sofa and other stuff brought to Zach and Whitney's from Rent-A-Center.  Whitney loves it.

Kelly now directing the girls in preparing chicken.  Doesn't want to do it herself so they'll learn.  Food served buffet style, Kelly says they did a great job.

5 minutes ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

Safe to say Rent a Center sponsored this episode

Does this mean Zach and Whitney took on debt?  Gothard will be so disappointed!

10 minutes ago, busdrivingmom said:

Does this mean Zach and Whitney took on debt?  Gothard will be so disappointed!

Given the advertising, my guess is that their total outlay was $0.00.

They did give the impression of going into debt though.

I was so excited that Nathan was about to announce something but he only has one taking head and that's it.

So I read the Bates Family Blog recap--

Is "getting to know each other" considered pre-courting?  

4 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Yeah--I think in Batesland that is "dating with a purpose."  I think the season finale will be announcing courtship--which may have already been filmed. As a result it may be a courtship of only a few months (like Alyssa and Zach, who both "dated with a purpose" before courting).

What I really wonder about these two is where they're going to live and how the city girl will adapt to country life (or vice versa)?

The Bronx and the hills of TN are two very different worlds.

7 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I think their terminology is "special friends" which can then lead to courting after a time.  I will say compared to a lot of fundies who go from "Wow, he likes me?" to courting to engaged to married in less than six months, I prefer the way the Bates kids do it (after the Zach debacle).  In the show he says he's been talking to her 4-5 months so that would be something like 8-9 months by now?  So from special friends to courtship and on will be at least a year or two if they get married.

I just watched the episode and I thought wow, to share a bedroom with *only* six other people and to have to agree on decorating - as someone who always had her own room growing up and with a husband who doesn't really care what color our bedroom is, I feel lucky.  Basically Josie said she wanted gray and she rallied the others to her idea.  Apparently before Michaella moved out, their room was filled with all of the things Brandon had sent/given to her on shelves and on the walls, so once she packed up and left, the room was rather empty.

Isn't there a smaller room where Alyssa roomed?  You would think Tori & Carlin would want to be in their own room as the new older girls.

As for Zach and Whitney (who is definitely showing in this episode), Rent-A-Center did have a commercial near the beginning of the episode and of course indirect promos when they shop for the couch and it's delivered.  Whitney was right - the black leather couch (esp with little kids) was more practical and looks better with the light walls in the room than their old off-white couch.  They really have done a nice job fixing that house up from the wood paneling monstrosity the living room was before.  I will say, a lot of these fundies do have practical house skills!  

And Michaella didn't have all that much stuff to pack up.  It looked like she had three large plastic tubs and was done.

I wonder if Zach and Whitney realize that Rent-A-Center is not a good way for people to buy furniture and appliances.  For people that actually have to pay for the stuff -I assume that Zach and Whitney's purchases were comped- you end up spending a lot more than you would even if you bought things from a furniture store on time or the never-never. 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived