IGNORED

Bates Family: Babies Galore! Part 12

Boogalou

My MIL had green eyes(with her parents having green and blue eyes) and my FIL blue eyes(both his parents had blue eyes, along with 14 blue eyes siblings). They had 13 biological kids. 10 blue eyes, 1 green eyes and 2 brown eyes. So brown eyes do come up. My husband is one of the brown eyes (his eyes do have some hazel specs). All the other boys have blue eyes and dark hair. I grew up in an Italian Catholic community so brown eyes were very common so I was secretly a bit bummed my husband was the only boy that didn't get blue eyes.. Now living in Southern Utah my daughter  had school classes when she was younger that she is the only brown eyed kid. It has been a source of teasing or people think they are cool.

I have always wondered if there is any statistically significance to having an eye color different then the majority and success in life. My brown eyed husband and his brown eyed sister in a family with well over 100 blue eyed and a handful of green eyes are by far the most successful. My daughter was the only brown eye child in elementary school classes but went into a very selective honors program in middle school and now the majority of students have  brown eyes in the honors program.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the U.S. and I really think the amount of ultrasounds probably varies per doctor's office. For me, I had 1 big anatomy scan at 20 weeks. That was too check for heart problems and a million other possible abnormalities. I also had a couple ultrasounds of my organs during pregnancy (because x-rays aren't safe) but they didn't really look at the baby during those. Then I had a couple short peeks at the baby in my doctor's office on a roll-away ultrasound machine. Those weren't necessary other than to give me peace of mind and a couple pictures.

For a healthy, complication free pregnancy, I imagine the anatomy scan is the only important one. It can detect things that need to be taken care of immediately after birth. And often times things that can be helped even before the baby is born. (I freely admit that I become a bit judgey when people skip this ultrasound.)

1 hour ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I am so excited that we might actually have someone born into our family with some eye color other than blue. Even including my cousin's spouses and children, my newest Sister-in-law is the first one to have brown eyes. Sadly, genetics say that if she and my brother have children, they are still very likely to have blue eyes. Drat! Love brown eyes.

eye color.jpg

Hmm. I don't want to have to consult Maury Povich, but I'm 100% sure my husband is the father, in spite of evidently a 0% chance of producing a green eyed child :my_cry:

26 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

Hmm. I don't want to have to consult Maury Povich, but I'm 100% sure my husband is the father, in spite of evidently a 0% chance of producing a green eyed child :my_cry:

Genetic mutations do happen, especially on pigmentation genes.  There is a natural rate of mutation for eye pigmentation genes, so there is never actually a 0% chance of parents producing children of any eye color.  This is why blue and green eyes appear across all groups/ethnicities, but are more common in some than others.  

I think this graph deals with hereditary only and excludes natural mutation. :)

Edit: there is also expression and damaged copies.  There are a lot of factors.  Especially in eye color!

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

In Spain it's 3 ultrasounds in the public health system (it's free) and 7-8 if you go to a private doctor.

Most people go to public health system but also go to a private doctor to get more ultrasounds, specially a 4D.

Here they have to offer one ultrasound to everyone and then different hospitals have different policies. Where I will give birth it is one for a normal pregnancy, two if you are over 35. If you have different riskfactors you will have tons of them (for free) but only if it is necessary. I had one at 17 weeks the first timesand didn't expect to have another one but ended up going passed my due date and had to have several checkups because of that. This time as I said I needed to have another one in addition to the one at about 18 weeks and I have also gone passed the BMI limit where they want you to have a scan towards the end so I will most likely end up with at least 3. 

Before they were reluctant to tell the sex of the baby at the routine ultrasound but when many people started paying for this service most hospitals started to tell the sex if you want. The general rule is to try to limit the amount of ultrasounds unless medically necessary but you can pay for extra ultrasounds. My hospital does 3D but not 4D but you cannot demand to get a 3D ultrasound, it is only if they feel it is medically necessary but they did check using 3D and snapped a 3D shot for us both pregnancies but I have had friends who were told no.

My parents, my sisters, and myself included have brown eyes. I always thought it would be neat if one of my future children had blue or green eyes. But then I think, how many children would I have to have before that happened?

In Australia the standard is two (10-11wks, 20wks), some people will get three (7-9 wks). High risk pregnancies will hve more, and people who had medical assistance to become pregnant usually get more at the beginning. For recurrent miscarriage, they offer one per week for the first trimester if you become pregnant again. 

I've been reading through this thread and following up various links that people provide. That has meant that I have ended up seeing MUCH more of the Bateses than I ever saw before. As I watch them, I find myself becoming more and more pissed off. And here's why:

For the most part, their public image is very positive and (I suspect) attractive to a lot of people. Sure, they've had some problems--the termination of Zach's first courtship; Erin's miscarriages. But the message and the public propaganda now seems to be that their lives are fabulous; they all have perfect spouses; their children are adorable and perfect; their lives are perfect and fulfilling; they have a perfect and sustaining relationship with God; etc.

As I watch them, in videos, photos, tweets, etc., I have to keep reminding myself that their lives are limited, defined by a patriarchal ideology, and confined by rules that are irrational.

So my real fear is that the public IMAGE they project will seduce people, not just into watching them, but into thinking they are fine, upstanding, lovely people, whose values are outstanding and whose lives are models for the rest of us.

Yuck.

On 3/14/2016 at 7:48 AM, HereticHick said:

Here is how Michael(la) can change her name in Illinois, where she currently lives

http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/forms/approved/name_change/nc-i_302.1_approved.pdf

It involves 3 different fees, a court hearing, and a newspaper notice

At least it could give her something to do - the woman sits at home all day waiting for her husband. I actually feel sorry for her.

5 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I am so excited that we might actually have someone born into our family with some eye color other than blue. Even including my cousin's spouses and children, my newest Sister-in-law is the first one to have brown eyes. Sadly, genetics say that if she and my brother have children, they are still very likely to have blue eyes. Drat! Love brown eyes.

eye color.jpg

Yeah, that's definitely not scientific. Of course, it would probably be a challenge to condense most genetic probabilities into a chart like this with any accuracy given the variables involved.

My mother and aunt are green and blue eyed, respectively. Their father had blue eyes and their mother had brown.

My father has blue/grey eyes and my mother's are green. Both my sister and I have very brown eyes, just like her mother (our grandmother).

11 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I've never been one to subscribe to "baby doesn't look like X" I didn't wait to see my kid before naming it, I just picked out my favorite name. I get why some do though. My parents legit waited to see what color eyes I had before naming me. :roll:

My boys wouldn't have had names until they were like 2 months old if I had done that! Premature, their eyes looked black to me for ages! We had two names picked out and were going to wait to see them to choose who was who, then when it was all going down emergency style, we said the first one out is XYZ and the second one out is ABC. 

4 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I'm in the U.S. and I really think the amount of ultrasounds probably varies per doctor's office. For me, I had 1 big anatomy scan at 20 weeks. That was too check for heart problems and a million other possible abnormalities. I also had a couple ultrasounds of my organs during pregnancy (because x-rays aren't safe) but they didn't really look at the baby during those. Then I had a couple short peeks at the baby in my doctor's office on a roll-away ultrasound machine. Those weren't necessary other than to give me peace of mind and a couple pictures.

For a healthy, complication free pregnancy, I imagine the anatomy scan is the only important one. It can detect things that need to be taken care of immediately after birth. And often times things that can be helped even before the baby is born. (I freely admit that I become a bit judgey when people skip this ultrasound.)

I had twins, in the US, so I had a zillion ultrasounds. But for regular ladies, my OB recommended the NT scan at 12 weeks and anatomy at 20 weeks and that was it, I had ultrasounds at 5 weeks (after my IVF cycle), 7 weeks, my 12 week NT scan, then I moved and switched doctors at 17 weeks and had one there. Then at 20 weeks for the anatomy scan, then 24 weeks to start growth scans with the high risk doctor (just bc of multiples), 28 weeks for my second growth scan, then had them at 29 weeks! They probably wanted to come out to get away from the nonstop ultrasound waves.

I had no ultrasounds with my first, one with my second (at a military hospital where they didn't let you see the screen...it was about 20 weeks), and three with my third. With him I had an early one to date the pregnancy (my cycle had been sorta irregular due to a move from VA to IN), the 20 week scan where he showed the goods. The third was the day he was born...he was about 4 weeks early and my OB wanted an idea of how big he was so she could decide whether or not to let my labor progress. 

On 3/14/2016 at 6:02 PM, habert said:

What did they come up with? :)

I have a very popular name for a female in the late 70's and a middle name from the patron saint of pregnancy (I was a miracle to my parents, also a huge surprise).  I went to grade school with 8 girls of the same first name, 5 in my high school class and two in pretty much every college class I was in.  Where I work now, there is only one other woman with this name, but we both go by different nicknames.  For many years I HATED my name, but have just gotten used to it.  

5 hours ago, Casserole said:

Where do the hazel and gray eyed people go? I admit it's been a while since I've drawn a punnet square... If you consider hazel brown this works for me. If you consider my yellow-green hazel cat eyes to be green I may have an identity crisis since my dad has the lightest, clearest blue eyes I've ever seen and my mom has the darkest of the dark browns. And they're definitely my parents. My sister has the same eyes. When I cry they're incredibly green, as well. 

I don't fit either then. My eyes are almost yellow.

I think is much more complicated than Mendel's genetic laws, there's a lot of mutations when it comes to people's characteristics.

My cousin, born to parents whose parents were brown eyed African Americans, somehow ended up with blue eyes. Makes no sense but man oh man he's gorgeous. 

image.jpeg

16 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I don't fit either then. My eyes are almost yellow.

I think is much more complicated than Mendel's genetic laws, there's a lot of mutations when it comes to people's characteristics.

My dad's siblings have red hair and green eyes so it's not like they came from nowhere. The 0% chance on that chart just got me. There's no 0% chances in genetics, IMO. For example, my co-worker and her husband are both caucasian of italian lineage with no family history of sickle cell, no African relatives, etc. Their daughter has Sickle Cell Anemia. Yes, she's both of their daughter lol they tested everything genetically after her diagnosis and there is zero family history tracing back hundreds of years. Someone actually had the gonads to ask her if she had an affair with a black man in front of her husband, SMH

1 minute ago, Casserole said:

My dad's siblings have red hair and green eyes so it's not like they came from nowhere. The 0% chance on that chart just got me. There's no 0% chances in genetics, IMO. For example, my co-worker and her husband are both caucasian of italian lineage with no family history of sickle cell, no African relatives, etc. Their daughter has Sickle Cell Anemia. Yes, she's both of their daughter lol they tested everything genetically after her diagnosis and they aren't carriers. Someone actually had the gonads to ask her if she had an affair with a black man in front of her husband, SMH

Wow interesting about your co-workers daughter. Sickel-cell is rare in Caucasians. 

5 minutes ago, Casserole said:

My dad's siblings have red hair and green eyes so it's not like they came from nowhere. The 0% chance on that chart just got me. There's no 0% chances in genetics, IMO. For example, my co-worker and her husband are both caucasian of italian lineage with no family history of sickle cell, no African relatives, etc. Their daughter has Sickle Cell Anemia. Yes, she's both of their daughter lol they tested everything genetically after her diagnosis and there is zero family history tracing back hundreds of years. Someone actually had the gonads to ask her if she had an affair with a black man in front of her husband, SMH

That's so innapropiate!!!! It can happen and I agree, the 0% doesn't exist. There's too many possibilities when it comes to genes inheritance. 

Yeah, eye color itself is on a spectrum, and it's not easily predictable using that chart or Punnet squares.

Also complicating matters: flecks of different colors in the iris can indicate all sorta of pigmentation genes beyond the main color. Best example of this is that if a brown-eyed baby is born to two blue-eyed biological parents, it's very likely that one or both parents have brown or amber flecks in the blue.

And none of this gets into "true" redheadedness, where all of one kind of pigment (eumelanin -- dark brown/black pigment) doesnt get produced at all, thus modifying hair, skin, and eye color all in one fell swoop!

My friend's mom has a blue and a brown eye.  It is funny to see people's reaction when they look her in the face for the very first time!

2 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

At least it could give her something to do - the woman sits at home all day waiting for her husband. I actually feel sorry for her.

I thought she was studying?

@hollyandivy,  your mom has heterochromia iridis.  She's in good company, because the actresses Jane Seymour, Allyson Hannigan and Mila Kunis have it as does Benedict Cumberbatch.  White cats are often odd-eyed as are some breeds of dogs such as Siberian Huskys and Australian Shepherds. There is also sectoral heterochromia where just a section of the eye is a different color and central heterochromia where the iris nearest the pupil is brown or golden and the outer iris is blue or green. I'd look at my dachshund's eyes to see if she has a bit of central heterochromia, but she's asleep.  I think she does though.  It's fairly common in dapple dachsies.

My husband has brown eyes while mine are blue.  We have two brown-eyed daughters, one with blue eyes and one with green eyes.  Yeah, eye color is a bit more complicated than can be expressed with a simple Punnet square.

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

@hollyandivy,  your mom has heterochromia iridis.  She's in good company, because the actresses Jane Seymour, Allyson Hannigan and Mila Kunis have it as does Benedict Cumberbatch.  White cats are often odd-eyed as are some breeds of dogs such as Siberian Huskys and Australian Shepherds. There is also sectoral heterochromia where just a section of the eye is a different color and central heterochromia where the iris nearest the pupil is brown or golden and the outer iris is blue or green. I'd look at my dachshund's eyes to see if she has a bit of central heterochromia, but she's asleep.  I think she does though.  It's fairly common in dapple dachsies.

That's what my husband has...it's cool when people notice it!

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived