IGNORED

Bates Family: Babies Galore! Part 12

Boogalou

I've never been one to subscribe to "baby doesn't look like X" I didn't wait to see my kid before naming it, I just picked out my favorite name. I get why some do though. My parents legit waited to see what color eyes I had before naming me. :roll:

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I've never been one to subscribe to "baby doesn't look like X" I didn't wait to see my kid before naming it, I just picked out my favorite name. I get why some do though. My parents legit waited to see what color eyes I had before naming me. :roll:

Newborns eyes are blue, are they not? ;)

7 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

They're often kind of a muddy grey or blue, but both my sister and I were pretty clearly brown-eyed early on.

9 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

Caucasian babies usually have a very deep blue/gray to them early on and they can change multiple times before the baby turns 1. Black/Hispanic/Indian/Asian babies all usually have dark eyes from birth. 

I didn't have that dark gray-blue color, I had a much brighter blue... and somehow ended up with yellow-green hazel eyes.

Are these people having the usual amount of ultrasounds in the US or are they getting extras to have something to do/put on their shows? 
It seems like they are having 4-6 scans pr. pregnancy, why? Hasn't Erin been the only high-risk that would actually require that extra attention?

18 minutes ago, Iokaste said:

Are these people having the usual amount of ultrasounds in the US or are they getting extras to have something to do/put on their shows? 
It seems like they are having 4-6 scans pr. pregnancy, why? Hasn't Erin been the only high-risk that would actually require that extra attention?

Most of the people I know who are having babies have multiple ultrasounds per pregnancy - and these are complication free pregnancies. But I think it varies widely here in the US - some doctors do more, others are more low-intervention. 

Caucasian babies usually have a very deep blue/gray to them early on and they can change multiple times before the baby turns 1. Black/Hispanic/Indian/Asian babies all usually have dark eyes from birth. 

I didn't have that dark gray-blue color, I had a much brighter blue... and somehow ended up with yellow-green hazel eyes.

Interesting! A YouTube family I watch just had their first child and she is half Sudanese and her eyes had a blue hue to them despite her genetics clearly giving her dark brown eyes.

18 minutes ago, Iokaste said:

I see you have Scandinavia as your location, I think it is more a question that we don't have that many ultrasounds here rather than Americans having many of them. I am in my second pregnancy and I had 4 or 5 last time which is a lot by Swedish standards but in many countries you may have one each time you go to the midwife. I have had two so far due to the first being ambigious and I had a second "just in case". I will most likely have to have at least one more but most people have 1 or 2.

Thanks for your input @eliha and @RoseWilder.
I guess it also has to do with commercialized healthcare, that doctors will be much more inclined to do non-essential or even unnecessary and timewasting procedures and services if they can make more money doing that. 

Here it's two ultrasounds pr. normal pregnancy and I know the Association of Midwives really advice against any more, simply because longterm effects of the radiation hasn't been properly studied and because of the added stresslevel it seems to cause in pregnant persons.

5 minutes ago, Iokaste said:

I guess it also has to do with commercialized healthcare, that doctors will be much more inclined to do non-essential or even unnecessary and timewasting procedures and services if they can make more money doing that. 

Here it's two ultrasounds pr. normal pregnancy and I know the Association of Midwives really advice against any more, simply because longterm effects of the radiation hasn't been properly studied and because of the added stresslevel it seems to cause in pregnant persons.

While I think that's half of it, I think the other half has to do with how litigious people are here.  The doctors cover their own backsides by doing more than necessary just to make sure their patient doesn't have a reason to sue.

55 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

Nope. My siblings and I were all very clearly brown eyed babies. 

There is actually a movement by physicians (and the FDA) to limit the number of ultrasounds for a healthy pregnancy.  I went to a high-risk practice and my son didn't move much in utero so they thought something had happened to him several times (hence an ultrasound), but I still only had about four total (plus the ones during fertility treatments).  They also didn't have the 3D ones when I was pregnant - and most of the pictures made my son look like an alien.  Now there are businesses in malls that do 3D videos and pictures for expectant parents - not even in a doctor's office - for keepsakes, and gender reveal parties during a scan aren't uncommon.  I think back to when my mother was pregnant with me, and she didn't know my gender OR if there were any concerns until after I was born!

Here is what the FDA says and articles about ultrasounds from HuffPost and the Wall Street Journal:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm095508.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/fda-keepsake-ultrasounds_n_6341940.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pregnant-women-get-more-ultrasounds-without-clear-medical-need-1437141219

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Nope. My siblings and I were all very clearly brown eyed babies. 

My daughter's eyes looked brown the first few months and then they turned a bright blue.  Still blue at 5 but I expect they'll turn green like mine did around that age.  Can't imagine how a name fits someone because of a specific eye color though.

On 3/14/2016 at 9:37 AM, EmainMacha said:

I also named my first baby/pregnancy who was a first trimester loss. Same reasoning as you. Although my husband found it unhelpful for him personally it helped me with the healing process. And you most definitely don't sound stupid or uneducated at all. Quite the opposite- eloquent and moving, especially when writing about a topic and emotions that can be so difficult to put into words.

I'm very sorry for your loss @VelociRapture.

My sixteen week miscarriage is named Jake. I don't know why I picked it. When he was growing, he felt like a boy named Jake

24 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

My daughter's eyes looked brown the first few months and then they turned a bright blue.  Still blue at 5 but I expect they'll turn green like mine did around that age.  Can't imagine how a name fits someone because of a specific eye color though.

That happens. I'm biracial, my eyes were dark brown at birth, few years later I ended up with golden brown amber eyes despite both my parents being brown eyed. My sister's eyes are almost black. My grandma had one hazel eye and one deep blue gray eye. My aunt who has brown eyes married an african american guy and her two daughters have blue eyes. Genetics are interesting, i totally expect my future kids to have blue eyes or something.

@Iokaste, midwives and doctors aren't concerned about the radiation from ultrasounds, because an ultrasound doesn't involve radiation.  Ultrasound does use high frequency sounds waves, though, and there is concern that about repeated exposure.  I first heard concerns about the effect on the baby's hearing, but that FDA bulletin outlines the more recent concerns.

3 hours ago, elliha said:

I see you have Scandinavia as your location, I think it is more a question that we don't have that many ultrasounds here rather than Americans having many of them. I am in my second pregnancy and I had 4 or 5 last time which is a lot by Swedish standards but in many countries you may have one each time you go to the midwife. I have had two so far due to the first being ambigious and I had a second "just in case". I will most likely have to have at least one more but most people have 1 or 2.

In Spain it's 3 ultrasounds in the public health system (it's free) and 7-8 if you go to a private doctor.

Most people go to public health system but also go to a private doctor to get more ultrasounds, specially a 4D.

I am so excited that we might actually have someone born into our family with some eye color other than blue. Even including my cousin's spouses and children, my newest Sister-in-law is the first one to have brown eyes. Sadly, genetics say that if she and my brother have children, they are still very likely to have blue eyes. Drat! Love brown eyes.

eye color.jpg

I'm in Ontario, just had my first baby last year. I was offered an ultrasound at around 11 weeks to check for specific things around that time, which would also include blood tests (I didn't do this one). Then you have one around 20 weeks for the anatomy scan to make sure all the parts are there and working. If this is fine you won't have another one unless you're over due to make sure fluid levels are good and baby is still fine. You may have an early one if you really have no idea how far along you are. So really two is normal unless you refuse the first one. I did the 20 week one but they couldn't see the heart very well so I had to go elsewhere for another one. Then they saw something else on the second one so had to go back again. That is 3 ultrasounds (all between 18-25 weeks). I did go to a 3D place for a 10 minute gender/sex ultrasound because I really wanted to know what we were having. They had packages for longer times but I just wanted quick and to find out.

4 hours ago, Iokaste said:

I think money and lawsuits are a big part of it, added to the parents wish to say Hi! to baby. 

In Norway it is one ultrasound per normal pregnancy (week 17-19 or so). Most do one or two more though.

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Iokaste, midwives and doctors aren't concerned about the radiation from ultrasounds, because an ultrasound doesn't involve radiation.  Ultrasound does use high frequency sounds waves, though, and there is concern that about repeated exposure.  I first heard concerns about the effect on the baby's hearing, but that FDA bulletin outlines the more recent concerns.

Sorry, lost in translation, a few words are used interchangeably here for several procedures that let's you see inside a body and I just knew that health professionals have warned against the excessive use of scans, so in my mind it became one and the same thing :-)   

13 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I am so excited that we might actually have someone born into our family with some eye color other than blue. Even including my cousin's spouses and children, my newest Sister-in-law is the first one to have brown eyes. Sadly, genetics say that if she and my brother have children, they are still very likely to have blue eyes. Drat! Love brown eyes.

eye color.jpg

Well, it's more than just the parents, you really have to look back a generation or two on both sides (especially in the brown and brown case, since blue/green is recessive). blue and blue....yup, most likely blue, just like my kids!! (my dad has green though, but both of us have blue and both our kiddos have blue).

Both my great-grandparents had blue eyes.  Their oldest son had brown (the other 3 had blue.)  It's rare but happens sometimes.  And yes, he looked very similar to my great-grandfather so no questions about his paternity, :)

1 hour ago, nolongerIFBx said:

eye color.jpg

Where do the hazel and gray eyed people go? I admit it's been a while since I've drawn a punnet square... If you consider hazel brown this works for me. If you consider my yellow-green hazel cat eyes to be green I may have an identity crisis since my dad has the lightest, clearest blue eyes I've ever seen and my mom has the darkest of the dark browns. And they're definitely my parents. My sister has the same eyes. When I cry they're incredibly green, as well. 

My grandson has blue eyes. His parents have brown eyes. My granddaughters - one has hazel eyes, the other has dark brown eyes. Their mom has hazel eyes, their dad has brown eyes. My husband has one blue and one hazel eye. 

Genetics is interesting!

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived