IGNORED

Bates Family: Babies Galore! Part 12

Boogalou

I liked John's offhanded comment about how he wants however many Alyssa wants to have.  Hopefully if she really only wants 6, that's what she gets and he's fine with it.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents had no clue what to name me.  My mom had me in the days before ultrasounds were common (saved for very, very high risk pregnancies, such as my BIL, who was born at 27 weeks in 1979), so they had no clue if I was a boy or girl.  The bets in my family were I was a boy, so my parents easily came up with two boy names, but no girl names.  Imagine the surprise when I was a girl (after a traumatic birth that my mom was unconscious for) and they had to scramble for a name.  

7 hours ago, ophelia said:

Although I'm single for more than 3 years now I still have a list with baby names on my cell phone. Whenever I see or hear a name that I like I add it to the list. I guess I'm a little bit desperate.

A goal is a goal. :content:

12 minutes ago, sunshine said:

A goal is a goal. :content:

I've often got potential baby names on my mind, even though I'm nowhere near ready to have one. It doesn't make you desperate. You're just prepared! Monica from Friends had hers picked out from the age of 14 (although she never actually used them). 

21 minutes ago, busdrivingmom said:

My parents had no clue what to name me.  My mom had me in the days before ultrasounds were common (saved for very, very high risk pregnancies, such as my BIL, who was born at 27 weeks in 1979), so they had no clue if I was a boy or girl.  The bets in my family were I was a boy, so my parents easily came up with two boy names, but no girl names.  Imagine the surprise when I was a girl (after a traumatic birth that my mom was unconscious for) and they had to scramble for a name.  

What did they come up with? :)

1 hour ago, bashfulpixie said:

I liked John's offhanded comment about how he wants however many Alyssa wants to have.  Hopefully if she really only wants 6, that's what she gets and he's fine with it.

I liked that too! I also thought it was interesting that Tori was all 'good answer' about that comment of his!

On 3/12/2016 at 3:15 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

Some people announce as soon as the kid is conceived (ie this will be John or Mary).  Others wait until they know what it is, and others wait until after the kid is born.

My sister didn't announce until the girls were born because she didn't want to hear comments on the name.  It's a lot easier to say Meet Baby XYZ than to listen to people criticize the name for X months.

That was totally my thinking too. I told my mom the names when we figured them out bc I knew she would never say anything negative to me. Everyone else found out when they were coming or after.

With our first, it was pretty much assumed that he'd be named after my husband (the first of many compromises, lol).

With our second, I didn't want to tell anyone because her name is very uncommon and I was afraid of someone liking the name enough to misappropriate it; my husband slipped a few times, so I had another name as back-up just in case.

With our third, I was only one who knew the sex, so there was no name discussion until after he was born, or else I might have accidentally spilled the beans with an uncontrollable twitch or something.   

42 minutes ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

I liked that too! I also thought it was interesting that Tori was all 'good answer' about that comment of his!

I also thought it was interesting that at one point Tori playfully hit John on the knee -- I can't imagine any of the Duggar girls taking such liberties with their sisters' spouses.

1 hour ago, trisprefect said:

I also thought it was interesting that at one point Tori playfully hit John on the knee -- I can't imagine any of the Duggar girls taking such liberties with their sisters' spouses.

The Bateseses definitely seem to have more 'normal' sibling interactions than the Duggars do. Seeing the Duggar girls hugging and touching each other in the new promo pics looks uncomfortable and forced, whereas the Bates kids seem to have more naturally hands on relationships. 

36 minutes ago, Yes, TOTALLY said:

The Bateseses definitely seem to have more 'normal' sibling interactions than the Duggars do. Seeing the Duggar girls hugging and touching each other in the new promo pics looks uncomfortable and forced, whereas the Bates kids seem to have more naturally hands on relationships. 

True. I wonder does it have anything to do with Josh.

True. I wonder does it have anything to do with Josh.

I could definitely see it having something to do with Josh, but maybe also that Michelle seems uncomfortable giving affection to her kids after a certain age and therefore they became weird about affection with each other.

Or maybe some are like me and just aren't touchy-feely people. Or a mix of all three things.

Remember that JB also said that it was "Michelle's decision" how many children they had. I don't know that that's a real thing. I think that's just the fundie-PC thing to say. 

I think the Duggar's show has become more of sociology class, where we are dissecting their behaviors and attitude and whatever fancy sociological terminology that can be thrown in here. Do you think we can put this on a resume? Oh.Or, write a book?

I've also had my top pick for names picked out for my kids even though I don't have any. I did at one point worry they might not like them but I let it go when I realized everyone in my family who got a normal name switched to their more unique middle name even legally changing their names to their middle name. And the ones who got the unique names all go by their more normal middle names. Either way my kids will be following tradition.

My husband and I have been TTC for 4 years and recently had our first and only pregnancy come to a sad end, we had a nickname for our baby. We have had a boys name and a girls name picked out for our first baby for a few years and would've referred to our baby by its name once we had found out the sex, even though we wouldn't be announcing the name until the baby was born because I wouldn't want anyone "stealing" our names hahaha.

1 minute ago, actuallyjessica said:

My husband and I have been TTC for 4 years and recently had our first and only pregnancy come to a sad end, we had a nickname for our baby. We have had a boys name and a girls name picked out for our first baby for a few years and would've referred to our baby by its name once we had found out the sex, even though we wouldn't be announcing the name until the baby was born because I wouldn't want anyone "stealing" our names hahaha.

So sorry for your loss.  I know what's it's like to want a baby and struggle to have one, so I can empathize.  Sometimes I wonder if fertility is wasted on some of these fundies.

1 hour ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

Remember that JB also said that it was "Michelle's decision" how many children they had. I don't know that that's a real thing. I think that's just the fundie-PC thing to say. 

I would wonder this too sometimes, but I think both JB and Michelle are addicted to having kids. Michelle more so than Jim Bob because of all the attention she gets when she is pregnant. She was always excited to "parent" the new baby and then she would hand it off to the daughters.

32 minutes ago, Snarkle said:

So sorry for your loss.  I know what's it's like to want a baby and struggle to have one, so I can empathize.  Sometimes I wonder if fertility is wasted on some of these fundies.

Thank you. Fertility is wasted on a lot of people, not just fundies. However, once I do get pregnant again and carry the baby to term so I can hold him/her in my arms it will be the sweetest thing and all of our very hard struggles will be worth it.

In my part of the world , you only announce the name after the birth. My sister in law even did not want to say what gender the baby was after the birth. We had to go and look for ourselves . It was  a very exciting trip to the hospital! 

3 hours ago, Snarkle said:

Agree, it is wasted on lots of people. We've been trying for over five years now, with three losses in the last two, including an ectopic. The second loss was in the second trimester, and we'd both started to 'bond' with the baby, and so after her sex was confirmed with a post-mortem, we named her Julia. My partner chose the name (turns out it was because of the song!) and I liked it because it means young. It certainly helped me - now I can refer to 'our first loss, Julia, and my ectopic' all by separate names. We never got a scan of our first (it was two days before the scheduled scan :/) and so it was a different level of real. Morning sickness while actively miscarrying is pretty craptacular, though. 

4 hours ago, season of life said:

I would wonder this too sometimes, but I think both JB and Michelle are addicted to having kids. Michelle more so than Jim Bob because of all the attention she gets when she is pregnant. She was always excited to "parent" the new baby and then she would hand it off to the daughters.

I always had the feeling Jim Bob would've been happy with just a few kids, but Michelle was the more baby crazy one. He seems so smug that a schmuck like him he bagged the pretty, popular cheerleader and can have her whenever he desires, that's likely enough for him. The huge amount of kids is just another stroke of his ego.

They both loved the attention and that's really all they care about. Michelle loves the attention she gets from being pregnant and JimBob loves the attention from telling everyone he bagged the cheerleader and how many times he got her pregnant.

3 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

They both loved the attention and that's really all they care about. Michelle loves the attention she gets from being pregnant and JimBob loves the attention from telling everyone he bagged the cheerleader and how many times he got her pregnant.

They never actually stopped being teenagers.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived