IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell took a plane trip and Mary posts OCC

Seven Severn

4 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

I was inspired to make my own Runza's last night and post on here. I used grass fed organic ground beef, sharp Irish cheddar, organically grown cabbage as the filling. I cheated on the bread as that is the part that takes forever and got store bought dough.

28798dce4fdd7b2708f4f6e23685f3d3.jpg

Those look much more appetizing then the Maxwell version.  Pretty plate too.

@MamaJunebug,yes that bedroom looks quite austere.  As you say, they are probably not allowed back there until bed time.  Who knows what they could get up to by themselves in their bedroom?  They do have a tradition of taking naps on Sunday afternoons.

Probably Steve and Teri are tuckered out by Sunday from being all self-righteous Monday through Saturday and decided they could trust the kids one day a week to be in their rooms.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Editing to to add that the visible parts of what I suppose is the girls' dorm room are so different from what we saw of Steve & Teri's master bdrm!  The bed skirt, coverlet and pillows look clean and sufficient for their purpose but there's no coordination to them. I got my first matching bed linen/curtains/wallpaper border set at age 40, so I'm not a snob about those sorts of things, but really, I expected more thought put into the room shared by a trio in their mid-30s, mid- and early 20s who see their whole lives as lived blissfully in THIS home.

The other evident furniture in the room looks like exercise equipment, etc. Well, of course. Nobody retreats to her bedroom to read or relax, so who needs comfy chairs, etc.? The recliners in the J E S U S room will do, missy!  Where everyone can see you and what you are or aren't doing. 

I was wondering if this might actually be a spare bedroom for a guest or something.  It shows two different angles of the room and only one bed can be seen so I'm not sure it is the girls' or boys' bedrooms. 

I'm anxiously awaiting a new post to inform us what exciting thing the whole family is up to!! Did they stay up past bedtime, eat dessert before dinner, read aloud a Christian biography during Bible time, play a thrilling game of hide and seek??? Don't keep us waiting Sarah!

2 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

I was wondering if this might actually be a spare bedroom for a guest or something.  It shows two different angles of the room and only one bed can be seen so I'm not sure it is the girls' or boys' bedrooms. 

I'm anxiously awaiting a new post to inform us what exciting thing the whole family is up to!! Did they stay up past bedtime, eat dessert before dinner, read aloud a Christian biography during Bible time, play a thrilling game of hide and seek??? Don't keep us waiting Sarah!

That's what I was thinking about that room as well. If I remember right, the girls' room had a set of bunk beds and a double bed. So the twin bed without a bunk makes me think this is a different room. 

2 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

Looking at the bed, it's sad that they only have a twin and it looks like the same bed (headboard) I had in my dorm room and that almost all colleges give you when living on campus. 

I think it's a spare bedroom as well. For some reason, I seem to remember (because they posted pix in one of their many, many packing posts) that the girls' bedroom had greens and blues and wasn't particularly spacious considering it was shared by three adults. I could be wrong but even so, the room in the puppy post doesn't ring a bell. And that cart looks like Teri's brilliant invention for converting a microwave cart to store school supplies. So maybe this was the former school room that's been repurposed as a catch-all.

Yep, just looked on the blog. Same cart. 

http://blog.titus2.com/2013/05/06/getting-your-homeschool-organized-a-microwave-cart-organizer/

The puppy seems to have brought a lot of uninhibited joy to the Maxwell House (godly to the last drop) and that's a good thing.

ETA: According to that blog post, the room is the music room.

Our faithful servant would be happy to serve in a new spot. Now he sits in the music room

23 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

I was inspired to make my own Runza's last night and post on here. I used grass fed organic ground beef, sharp Irish cheddar, organically grown cabbage as the filling. I cheated on the bread as that is the part that takes forever and got store bought dough.

28798dce4fdd7b2708f4f6e23685f3d3.jpg

Yummo!  I am from Omaha originally...home of the Runza!  I haven't had one for ages...I'll have to try making the homemade version. 

22 hours ago, sparkles said:

I think it's a spare bedroom as well. For some reason, I seem to remember (because they posted pix in one of their many, many packing posts) that the girls' bedroom had greens and blues and wasn't particularly spacious considering it was shared by three adults. I could be wrong but even so, the room in the puppy post doesn't ring a bell. And that cart looks like Teri's brilliant invention for converting a microwave cart to store school supplies. So maybe this was the former school room that's been repurposed as a catch-all.

Yep, just looked on the blog. Same cart. 

blog.titus2.com/2013/05/06/getting-your-homeschool-organized-a-microwave-cart-organizer/

The puppy seems to have brought a lot of uninhibited joy to the Maxwell House (godly to the last drop) and that's a good thing.

ETA: According to that blog post, the room is the music room.

Did you all catch this gem in the post linked above?! (bolding is mine)

The school cart has resided in our living room for the past twenty three years. It housed school books inside while the top was the resting place for the phone and nicknacks. Steve also built a little shelf on its side where I could put my Pepsi during my Pepsi-drinking days.

The thread was getting long so I split the Cruz/election discussion into a new thread.  If you wish to discuss that please go there and if you wish to discuss the plane trip/dog/weird beef rolls while they still have meat in them please continue to do so here.  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2016 at 4:24 PM, Justme said:

New pictures of Ellie. Teri is holding her in one pic. I think it's the most relaxed I've ever seen Teri's face.

Therapy dogs can help anyone.....

As I have thought about that microwave cart – turned school cart – turned end table cart, I thought of these words of the Lord Jesus to his faithful servants, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.†(Matthew 25:21). I pray that I can be faithful servant to my Lord like our microwave cart has been to us.

Jesus, Maxwells. Everything doesn't have to be about....well, Jesus! I have a scarf organizer and it's really helped me clean up my closet. But it doesn't inspire me to devote my life to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Also re: the music/guest room...

Beige, just like the Maxwells' lives. Beige beige beige.

How many kidults are living there now? Why do they have a "music room" instead of using that room as an actual bedroom for one of the age 18+ children?? Especially if the girls' have bunk beds. :my_huh: I mean, I know why, because Jesus didn't tell Steve to tell Teri to schedule time to discuss the possibility of scheduling a date to move room furniture and then schedule a date for Poor Sarah to write up another extremely boring post about how fun it is to do boring things and then pray afterward...but still! 

3 hours ago, bertnee said:

Jesus, Maxwells. Everything doesn't have to be about....well, Jesus! I have a scarf organizer and it's really helped me clean up my closet. But it doesn't inspire me to devote my life to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Also re: the music/guest room...

Beige, just like the Maxwells' lives. Beige beige beige.

How many kidults are living there now? Why do they have a "music room" instead of using that room as an actual bedroom for one of the age 18+ children?? Especially if the girls' have bunk beds. :my_huh: I mean, I know why, because Jesus didn't tell Steve to tell Teri to schedule time to discuss the possibility of scheduling a date to move room furniture and then schedule a date for Poor Sarah to write up another extremely boring post about how fun it is to do boring things and then pray afterward...but still! 

The kids need to be in the same room so they can hold each other accountable. Sarah couldn't get her own room even if moving furniture were put on the schedule. 

Yes, Jesse and John share a room but what happens if one or the other gets married?  Then they will have to have one child in a bedroom by himself unless Steve decides to bunk up with the remaining man boy and leave Teri to have her bedroom all to herself.

Sadly the three girls will probably always share a room-- at least until Mom and Dad die. They will eventually inherit the house and at that time I hope they will be brave enough to decide they each need their own room. Still the brainwashing is pretty thorough at Maxhell and I can easily imagine them  deciding they would be too lonely to sleep alone.

What's so bad about sharing a room?  It seems a bit nitpicky to me.

1 hour ago, CyborgKin said:

I know I'm not @church_of_dog, but I don't think there's anything wrong with kids sharing a room. I think what's strange about the Maxwell's is that they're adults, and it sounds like they're basically forced to share for accountability purposes. I think it's fucking weird. 

36 minutes ago, iweartanktops said:

I know I'm not @church_of_dog, but I don't think there's anything wrong with kids sharing a room. I think what's strange about the Maxwell's is that they're adults, and it sounds like they're basically forced to share for accountability purposes. I think it's fucking weird. 

What did I say NOW?  (kidding, I think you meant to quote someone else)

1 minute ago, church_of_dog said:

What did I say NOW?  (kidding, I think you meant to quote someone else)

Hahaha! Shit. @Handmaiden of Dog, is who I should have tagged! You dog people are confusing! Or, I'm just high. ;)

1 minute ago, iweartanktops said:

Hahaha! Shit. @Handmaiden of Dog, is who I should have tagged! You dog people are confusing! Or, I'm just high. ;)

*wags*

I've shared a room for 25 years because it's a good use of space, it's convenient, there's no reason not to, and I'm used to it.  But it would be very different in the opressive maxhell environment where they must be continually judging and reporting on each other.

5 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Having shared a room for the first 29 years of my life, I just can't fathom 3 adult sisters sharing a room unless they were financially challenged and/or living in a tiny apartment.   

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

Having shared a room for the first 29 years of my life, I just can't fathom 3 adult sisters sharing a room unless they were financially challenged and/or living in a tiny apartment.   

I guess how well it works depends on the size and layout, the temperament of the people involved, and how much time they spend time in the room.  My room's far too big for a single person.

So now I'm curious.  Anyone have an idea on the square footage of Casa de Maxwell.  From pictures of the kitchen and dining area, it doesn't look that large to me.  I'm guessing definitely under 2000 square feet, but it would have to be four bedrooms: a women's dormitory, a men's dormitory, Teri and Steve's bedroom and the music/guest room.  Are bathroom time and showers scheduled? 

25 minutes ago, Howl said:

So now I'm curious.  Anyone have an idea on the square footage of Casa de Maxwell.  From pictures of the kitchen and dining area, it doesn't look that large to me.  I'm guessing definitely under 2000 square feet, but it would have to be four bedrooms: a women's dormitory, a men's dormitory, Teri and Steve's bedroom and the music/guest room.  Are bathroom time and showers scheduled? 

I don't know the square footage, but when they decided to build they said it was because they were running out of room in the old house, so I always kind of assumed it was a fairly good size.  Plus, Christopher and Joseph still lived at home when they were building, so I always thought it was at least 2000 sq. ft., but just an assumption.

I'll see if I can find their posts from back then where they talked about the house.

ETA:  Here is a post from 2009 where Steve talks about building the house, although I don't see any mention of square footage.

http://blog.titus2.com/2009/03/26/our-house-building-history/

24 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I don't know the square footage, but when they decided to build they said it was because they were running out of room in the old house, so I always kind of assumed it was a fairly good size.  Plus, Christopher and Joseph still lived at home when they were building, so I always thought it was at least 2000 sq. ft., but just an assumption.

I'll see if I can find their posts from back then where they talked about the house.

ETA:  Here is a post from 2009 where Steve talks about building the house, although I don't see any mention of square footage.

http://blog.titus2.com/2009/03/26/our-house-building-history/

Not like Erika Shupe who LOVES mentioning how her house is 1100 sq ft, even though we FJers have disputed this. 

According to Zillow, it's 4,000 sqft, and has 4 beds and 4 baths, and a total of 8 rooms (not sure what that specifies, though). 

BTW, according to Zillow, John has at least 4 home sells under his belt now. Guess that's his career now, though I think it a bit shady that he's okay working with people that are likely taking out loans for their homes. 

Oh, he's also got a professional address in Lansing, Kansas, under a company called Realty Executives. Is that his own company or is he working for someone else? 

Archived