IGNORED

Josh Duggar part 12 - Everyone has unclean hands...Go wash!

HerNameIsBuffy

My previous doctor's office had the paper gowns and a paper sheet for the bottom half, but my new doctor has actual fabric gowns, and they still give you the paper sheet for your bottom half. I think I do like the idea of the gown better than just undressing one half at a time, but at the same time I only go to a female gynecologist. I guess I'm kind of a prude :my_rolleyes:

I am 23 and I've never had any abnormal tests or anything out of the ordinary but I still go every year. One, for birth control but also just because I've never heard otherwise. I didn't realize there was a push to only go every three years. That would be amazing!

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going for an (overdue) gyno exam/pap smear tomorrow, so I did some reading up on the subject. In the United States, it's now suggested that women begin getting the exams at 21 years-old and continue every two or three years. The guidelines change pretty often, though.

After a certain age, you don't need them any more as long as you've always had normal ones. Yay. Don't know what the age is, but I'm there.

55 minutes ago, Londish said:

My previous doctor's office had the paper gowns and a paper sheet for the bottom half, but my new doctor has actual fabric gowns, and they still give you the paper sheet for your bottom half. I think I do like the idea of the gown better than just undressing one half at a time, but at the same time I only go to a female gynecologist. I guess I'm kind of a prude :my_rolleyes:

I am 23 and I've never had any abnormal tests or anything out of the ordinary but I still go every year. One, for birth control but also just because I've never heard otherwise. I didn't realize there was a push to only go every three years. That would be amazing!

I only go to female gynocologists, too, but it isn't because I am a prude. I just feel - right or wrong - like a female doctor in theory, at least, has a practical understanding of things like cramps, subtle side effects from birth control, and subtle differences in your period, vagina and body that a man does not.  My GP is a man, though, so I'm not a male doctor hater, or anything.

In Canada since healthcare is for the most part free when we are at the OBGYN'S office just to save time they have all the women strip down in the waiting room, it can be awkward but they have really large magazines that offer some cover whilst you read.

No, not really.

My last appointment they said remove everything from the waist down and handed me a sheet and left the room for a few minutes while i hopped up onto the table.

I did however leave my socks on.

What can I say, I just have a rebels heart.

8 minutes ago, Catey said:

In Canada since healthcare is for the most part free when we are at the OBGYN'S office just to save time they have all the women strip down in the waiting room, it can be awkward but they have really large magazines that offer some cover whilst you read.

No, not really.

My last appointment they said remove everything from the waist down and handed me a sheet and left the room for a few minutes while i hopped up onto the table.

I did however leave my socks on.

What can I say, I just have a rebels heart.

Being in Canada, myself, I am still laughing....that is too funny!!!! :) :pb_lol:

I remember sitting around in only my underpants with my mom while waiting to see the pediatrician as a kid. It was cold and kind of embarrassing. My kids get to wear little cloth robes over their underpants for their checkups. (Not as babies, of course.) It seems more comfortable and respectful to me. Plus the kid gowns have cute designs on them, like tigers or butterflies!

Oh yes, all this lovely talk of OBGYNs, paper gowns and pap smears is bringing back great memories. I'm 28 and I go once a year to get my BC prescription refilled. I don't particularly mind because, one time, I had an abnormal test result, and was told I would have to have six month check-ups. Everything turned out fine, and I'm back to my yearly visits again. It's just a lot of the doctor making awkward small talk while I'm basically naked on the table and in those stupid stirrups. She also asks me a lot about when I am going to have kids. I'm like, "Lady, there are days when I feel like I am raising my husband. Let's work through that first." On a side note, I had a good friend who got diagnosed with breast cancer at 28 and underwent a double mastectomy. She had no history of breast cancer in her family either. So, when it comes to the breast check during the exam, I'm like, "OK Doc, time to feel me up!" Ahh, the joys of being female.

And then at about age 40, we get to have mammograms. :my_biggrin: Like @Bad Wolf says, at least we never have to have prostate exams.

4 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

And then at about age 40, we get to have mammograms. :my_biggrin: Like @Bad Wolf says, at least we never have to have prostate exams.

If you're lucky and there is a family history of some type of issue, 40 is when the colonoscopies kick in too.  Good times, good times.  Thanks, ancestors!

ETA for clarity - none of my ancestors have had anything but minor issues in this area.  

The paper gowns and sheets just sound like so much faffing around. And of course I see the patiënt clothed first. I have to know why they're here! I've done vaginal exams with partners in the room, other doctors, and even kids running around. It's all fine, unless the patiënt doesn't feel comfortable, in which case I'll wait till she can come back with only the people she wants in the room. I know the US has a shortage of family doctors, but do you really all go see a gynaecologist for a birth control prescription?

Lots and lots of my patiënts are middle eastern refugees at the moment and none of them seem to mind either. Though I did have a patiënt (male) who wouldn't shake my hand, but had no problem with me examinging him. I couldn't figure out the right way to ask why he wouldn't shake my hand.

I find this sort of stuff fascinating, the result of growing up internationally I suppose.

6 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Nope, not feeling sorry for guys and prostate exams.   Women endure pelvic exams with first the speculum and then the bimanual exam.  One top of that we get mammogram machines while men get psa tests for prostrate cancer.

When my husband got a little whiney after his vasectomy, I told him to shut up about the stitches;  I, too, had had a few uncomfortable stitches and had to get up three times during the night with cracked nipples to breastfeed.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony in the drift about vaginal exams on a thread about Josh Duggar and unclean hands? :my_sick:

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I guess the prostate exam is no picnic either.

Ahh..it's not that bad, but I'm at the age and risk factor that I have yearly colonoscopies so I guess in a way I'm used to it. :pb_lol: I'm at the age where I just don't get embarrassed anymore and I usually do a short stand-up comedy act with the docs before procedures..hehehe..if anybody needs colonoscopy jokes, I got a million of 'em. My GP is a woman and she does seem to perform the prostate exam with a bit of gusto shall we say...:shock:...okay I know TMI I'm going back to my kennel :my_shy:

I'm 34, had numerous abnormal paps, pre cancerous cells (stage 3 squamous. Weird word) removed with a LEEP procedure in 2011. Now they are saying I am "good to go" with a pap every 3 years... which means I have another year of anxiety until my next covered pap. Honestly, I hate the whole process, but the fear of cervical cancer? I'd happily do a pap once a year to alleviate my fear if it was covered. 

I see over at Duggar Family Official blog on FB there is a TBT photo including Josh. Guess they are attempting to ease him back into the public eye.

ugh I have to go monday

and though I'm of the age--i can go every 3 yrs for paps--I'm on b/c (almost out of those woods) so they make me go every year--i guess just so i don't start feeling to respectable

5 hours ago, Drala said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony in the drift about vaginal exams on a thread about Josh Duggar and unclean hands? :my_sick:

:spit:

I like getting something to cover up with. It seems like they leave the gown, say they'll be "a few minutes" and come back 3 days later. In the meantime anyone could accidentally wander in on me.

When I had my exam done with the midwives they gave me paper sheets and only had me do half a body at a time. Other times, if I was just wearing a skirt I was allowed to keep everything but panties on.  That was many months pregnant with my first though, and checking cervix and all that.  Not having to change while the size of a whale is nice.

With my new obgyn I was about 3 years out from my last pap- apparently I just get one at the beginning of every pregnancy and the timing is just about right- she only had me remove bottoms.

At this point I've been through a vaginal birth with 5 other adults in the room while I was butt naked, got stitches in my vagina with people in the room, had a large handful of vaginal u/s's over the course of an ectopic pregnancy and a 3rd healthy pregnancy and a bunch of other stuff. and getting prepped to do the birth thing in front of strangers again in a few months. Modesty? hello? where'd ya go? yep. It's gone. But i'll take the sheet anyway. Those rooms are cold.

16 hours ago, luxfilia said:

I'm going for an (overdue) gyno exam/pap smear tomorrow, so I did some reading up on the subject. In the United States, it's now suggested that women begin getting the exams at 21 years-old and continue every two or three years. The guidelines change pretty often, though.

I thought 18? Now 21? I can't keep up.

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 0:06 PM, jqlgoblue said:

It is actually quite common for religious groups to be against tampons. Even though rationally it doesn't take your virginity there are people who think if you don't bleed on your 'wedding night' you weren't a virgin no matter what so others are apt to fall in line because they don't want to be falsely accused of lying.

Also, I am sure none of the Duggar girls are getting OBGYN care before marriage (and as we've seen they aren't a fan of getting much care while pregnant either). It is worth noting that if they aren't having sex then having an annual exam while a prudent thing to do, isn't as necessary as you are much lower risk for nearly everything.

But being a virgin doesn't mean you don't go for gynecologic exams, right? Just asking. And didn't the girls go horseback riding? With flip flops? Idiots

Now I feel sad that mine started so young. Then again I was sexually active and on b/c....so that was probably why. But I was told 16 was the norm.

Also: I gave birth then got stitches. Stitches. In my vagina.  And people are all "whatever".  If it was a man getting stitches in his scrotum he'd be expecting a lot more sympathy than I got  that's for sure.

Side note: we've now seen michelle and anna have private obgyn appointments and give birth. Oh, and Jessa.  And yet if we saw some shoulder or knees we'd be defrauded and they'd be "immodest"? You can't give birth on public television then go on and on about modesty. Not how this works.

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 2:10 PM, medimus said:

They've updated it here to once every three years from the age of 25, regardless of sexual activity and you have it done at the GP practice/family doctor's. And there is absolutely no reason to have an internal exam to get brith control (I know it's not up to you), unless you're having an IUD fitted. I'm a GP, hence my interest.

I've also heard (seen on tv shows) that patiënts wear hospital gowns etc during the exam, rather than just getting undressed. That can't be true, is it?

Now it's 25??? Ugh. 18,21,25. Again I can't keep up

10 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I gave birth then got stitches. Stitches. In my vagina.

This really made me LOL.  I had that scenario 3 times myself.  Somehow, we are just supposed to jump up and make sandwiches and do laundry like nothing at all has happened when in fact, we have stitches in our vaginas!

9 hours ago, medimus said:

The paper gowns and sheets just sound like so much faffing around. And of course I see the patiënt clothed first. I have to know why they're here! I've done vaginal exams with partners in the room, other doctors, and even kids running around. It's all fine, unless the patiënt doesn't feel comfortable, in which case I'll wait till she can come back with only the people she wants in the room. I know the US has a shortage of family doctors, but do you really all go see a gynaecologist for a birth control prescription?

Lots and lots of my patiënts are middle eastern refugees at the moment and none of them seem to mind either. Though I did have a patiënt (male) who wouldn't shake my hand, but had no problem with me examinging him. I couldn't figure out the right way to ask why he wouldn't shake my hand.

I find this sort of stuff fascinating, the result of growing up internationally I suppose.

Yes, we see Gynos for birth control. In fact, I never even had a family doc growing up. For gyno visits, I had paper gown and paper sheet across my legs for all mine, and I (like a previous poster) always left my socks on lol. A few years ago, I was told they were switching to every other year, so this three-years-business is something I hadn't heard. Then again, I haven't gone to the gyno since having my IUD installed almost 4 years ago (yay for ten years' worth of BC!) and don't plan to return until I either need a new one or (much more unlikely) we decide to have another baby.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived