IGNORED

Jill, Derick, and Israel Part 12

Boogalou

16 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

My siblings and I are like that. I can be outside for 5 minutes and already have tanlines. My sister is so white she's actually allergic to the sun. My brother is somewhere in the middle (he burns but can tan from the burn).

Me too. I tan and freckle.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On February 16, 2016 at 11:36 AM, vaticanmember said:

I don't think the limegreen looks so bad on Michelle. And I thought lime green was a spring color? Autumn and spring are warm seasons (color-wise), warm limegreen is spring, a darker warm green like gras is autumn. I think she wanted to have a signiture color but not one that makes her look old like dark colors. the limegreen is fresh and young. she could have picked worse.

I think it is so funny that we are discussing Michelle's coloring, and I love it. I think Michelle is a Spring and she looks so good in turquoise and cobalt blue. The lime green isn't horrible, it's just so overdone.

Did you know that you develop a tolerance to your local mosquitoes?  The first three years I moved to the South I was covered in enormous welts but after a time I stopped getting such bad reactions.

Here is what works for me:  As soon as possible I scrub the fresh bite with hydrogen peroxide. When a bite becomes especially itchy, I cover it with a piece of scotch tape-- try it, it really helps.

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I'm going to So American in 2 weeks and then on to Costa Rica.  I already have my arsenal ready- and now, I'm sitting here scratching.

The hubs and I are both O+. I get bitten like crazy, while he gets nothing.

Good luck with the damn extremely hot weather we're having and the stupid mosquitoes... I want to freeze my skin to death. Lol

5 hours ago, Whoosh said:

Word on the street is that Victoria Secret Bombshell repels mosquitos like nobodies business.  I have not yet tested it out, but their previous front runner scent for this task was Amber Romance.  That I have tried and it worked better than OFF, etc.  Enjoy your trip!

If that works I might declare my endless love for you. I'm sooooo going to buy and try it, cause i'm currently being eaten by the idiotic mosquitoes :(

Do mosquitos serve an actual purpose other than just being annoying monsters?  I mean, for real? I know bats eat them, but are they actually useful in the food chain such that my wish that they were blasted off the planet isnt justified?

All this mosquito talk is seriously giving me the hibi jibis. I had 2 sever allergic reactions to mosquito bites. Once my eye wouldn't open because it bite me right under the eye where the vein is and it took 2 shots from the doctor and like 5 days for the swelling to go down. I'm one of those people that attracts mosquitos like crazy. 

20 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Do mosquitos serve an actual purpose other than just being annoying monsters?  I mean, for real? I know bats eat them, but are they actually useful in the food chain such that my wish that they were blasted off the planet isnt justified?

Pretty sure there is no reason for them to exist other than to annoy us. One of my brothers and I are magnets for mosquitos. Once my family was eating outside and halfway through dinner I got up and said I couldn't stand the mosquitos anymore because they were driving me nuts and went inside. My dad was like, "what mosquitos?" EXACTLY!! THEY ARE IGNORING YOU AND ATTACKING ME!!! My parents didn't last too long outside without me because then the mosquitos went after them.

My doctor said I have sensitive skin, which makes me extra sensitive to bites/extra itchy. So unfair. But that also explains those times when I've been tempted to bathe in calamine lotion.  

41 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Bugs and fish eat mosquitos, so I would say they do have a purpose in the food chain. If mosquitos completely disappeared (as opposed to finding ways to treat or cure mosquito borne diseases), I think there would problems for the animals who use them as a food source. Killing off non-patheogenic, non-microbe beings can lead to unintended consequences. For example, during the Great Leap Forward, rural Chinese were ordered to kill sparrows en masse so they wouldn't eat crops. They did with great gusto, and the lack of sparrows caused the bugs that would have ordinarily been eaten by the sparrows to multiply rapidly, and the crops were eaten anyway, causing a massive famine.

I have noticed that in all pictures of JB and Mechelle that he has a death grip on her arm and is leaning over her like she is his property. Is he that insecure that he must "stake his claim"? I could not handle someone that insecure with themselves.

The green has to go. I do think it is either JB's favorite color or he once told her how good she looks in it and off she went to the races. I think a beautiful blue or turquoise would look nice on her. She really needs someone to help dress her and they can also abide by her modesty rules but get her looking better. They certainly have the money as JB always has a suit on and is fairly well dressed.

Derrick.... I just do not know. I do hope that if he is ill in any way or having side effects from his surgery that they are not trying to "pray him well" and get him to a good doctor. He could have any range of problems besides being married to Jill and being overwhelmed. He doesn't look well.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I heard years ago on some NPR show the scientist doing the Mosquito Extinction Project don't think they mosquitos server a purpose in the eco system (outside of humans) or if they it doesn't apply to today's world. I'm sure there is a source out there going into detail on what they said but I just don't have it but this does a good job http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721/full/466432a.html . I mean I'm all for killing those flying devils but I feel once you start that chain reaction (which we have) we can't really go back. 

Agree Derrick looks just awful, and not Baby Makes Me Tired Awful or Fuck It, Its Hot Awful, but legitimately I Am Seriously Sick awful.  It's not just the beard (which is probably to hide the lopsidedness of his face right now) or even the hair.  Over several pictures, you can see that his coloring is bad, his eyes are flat and he passed skinny a while ago and is firmly into gaunt territory.  Whoever compared him to a Survivor finalist or shipwreck survivor is right. 

3 minutes ago, missegeno said:

If I developed a tolerance to my local mosquitos after 18 years in one house, I'd hate to see how much I would have been bitten otherwise.

I hear you. They love me and leave Mr. Wolf alone

5 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Did you know that you develop a tolerance to your local mosquitoes?  The first three years I moved to the South I was covered in enormous welts but after a time I stopped getting such bad reactions.

Here is what works for me:  As soon as possible I scrub the fresh bite with hydrogen peroxide. When a bite becomes especially itchy, I cover it with a piece of scotch tape-- try it, it really helps.

Haven't done hydrogen peroxide, I will give that a try. I discovered scotch tape at work one day after doing a search on alternatives to anti itch creams, which don't even really work on me. Boiling a tea bag and placing on the bite helps me a lot too.  I have yet to find a bug spray that will prevent the bites. Even wearing long clothes doesn't stop mosquitoes for me.

I am type A blood, and get bitten like crazy.  I am the only one in my family who does.  I practically bathe in DEET come summertime.  Once I found a spray that was 98% DEET and I was in love.  The thing is, once I get bit, my bites swell up so bad that it looks like something much worse than a simple bug bite.

Maybe they wear green on fertile days....or when they are pregnant. Spring and new life and all that rebirth stuff.

18 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

I guess I'm one of those really unlucky A blood type people who gets bitten above and beyond what everyone else around me seems to. I also tend to welt up badly when I get bitten :( Maybe my feet just stink worse than my friends'.

I used to get small welts, like no more than half an inch in diameter. Now, I have Skeeter Syndrome. I get welts up to 3 inches in diameter, and then the welts turn into bruises. And they're SO painful. Like just shy of fire ant bite painful. I actually feel the mosquito bite me because Skeeter Syndrome is an allergy to the saliva of the mosquito.

I am a skeeter magnet, and I worry about Zika. The skeeters are bad here during the summer. Tiny town now has a confirmed case. The person contracted it while in Central America.

Has anyone ever tried the little OFF fans that you clip to your belt? Do they work at all?

I worry about Zika as well, even though I know it's not really much of chance right now. I just did an IUI today, and got home and was immediately bitten by a mosquito.  Internally, I am freaking out, but externally being rational about it :)

5 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Has anyone ever tried the little OFF fans that you clip to your belt? Do they work at all?

I've tried them and they didn't work at all for me. To be fair, though, nothing short of dousing myself in DEET and lighting myself on fire would prevent me from getting bitten. I'm the mosquito magnet of my household. 

Zeus thought they were okay, as long as he wasn't in a high mosquito volume area.

I also react badly to bites, but I've found something that actually helps after I've been bitten:

http://www.biteaway.eu/index.php?language=en

It's a device with a metal plate that you put on the bite, it heats up and the protein in the mosquito's saliva denaturates. Less histamine --> less itching and swelling! It's not magic, but it works pretty well. If I treat a bite straight away, almost nothing happens. (Otherwise I end up with a huge welt.)

I've tried a lot things and this the only thing that I've found to far that actually works.

Reading about all of your experiences with mosquito's make me glad to live somewhere without them as I am sure they would love me just like the midgies we have here, horrible little beasties who love nothing better than using me as a snack bar when they get the chance lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/outdoors/articles/midge/

In Asia they sell the stuff that you plug in and it will disperse a liquid or a vapour and it will kill all mozzies in your room in ten minutes. I can finally sleep with windows open. I bought a boat load of the stuff and take it wherever I go. It smells a bit like diesel, but that is only a fair trade off. If you sleep with windows closed you can switch it off once they all drop dead. For an allergic mosquito magnet like me it is a life saver. And so much fun to see the little pests crash.

I have however found nothing that will keep them off me outside, unless I cover every square inch of exposed skin every few hours with DEET (also under my watch). Also I cannot wear light clothes, because they bite right trough them. Or lose fitting or they'll fly underneath. 

I suppose mozzies are a conservative conspiracy to force women to cover up. 

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived