IGNORED

Jill, Derick, and Israel Part 12

Boogalou

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Now, I don't mean to hop on the meany bus direct to Bitch Corner, but I feel it needs to be said:

MOST serious medical issues that come up in your 20's and 30's don't get better as you age: they get worse.  I say this as a person WITH chronic medical issues.  I may get better at managing them as I age (I'm nearly 28 now), but I accept that as I age, my body will not handle the toll of serious flare ups as well nor recover as quickly.  I can do all I can to keep my body otherwise in top shape, but that's life.

Which is why I would NEVER consider marrying a partner I would be expected to support.  I used to consider this in my early 20's before my insides went on strike, but now I know it's a bad call as there is a VERY REAL chance my health may require me not to work for an extended time later in life, and I need a partner that can pay the bills if they have to.  

So what is Jill going to do?  If Derick's health continues to be an issue (and if it has gone on this long, it likely will) and the issues get worse with age (as is to be expected), what is Jill going to do if he needs to take an extended leave of absence from working in his 40's?  What if his health forces him into early retirement?  How are they going to afford the medical bills without insurance from a "real" job?  

Jill is not expecting to EVER have to be the primary bread winner, but if her spouse has health issues, she may not have a choice.

I don't think you are wrong or being bitchy by posting this, but we need to keep in mind that we don't even know if Derick has any health concerns...  Just because he had oral surgery and FJ members think he is pale and scraggly does not mean he has a chronic illness.  IMO it is somewhat unfair to be making such broad assumptions. 

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Georgiana, I agree with you. We don't really know what Derrick's health problems will be, but Jill and the  other women in the cult are being shortsighted. I speak as someone with health problems as well. I got an education and have a profession that could support two people but I have had to stop working. First I stopped to care for  my parents until they died, expecting to return to work. During this time my health declined and  I have not been able to go back. Fortunately, my husband had a good job, and he is now retired with a pension from the postal service as well as the VA. We still have good insurance and will be fine. I also worked long enough to be entitled to social security and medicare when I am old enough.  These women will not be entitled to these things if they never work. If their husbands only work for themselves or rely on donations  like Jill and Derrick  seem to intend, and they have huge families, not only will they not have a safety net like social security, they will probably never be able to save for retirement. I know of several widows that have been left with nothing when their husbands died after spending their lives taking care of their homes and children. It's not pretty and not a situation I would wish on anyone. I encourage women to think about these things early. If you  choose to stay home, please make it your business to know about your finances and make plans. Even women who stay at home can open retirement accounts. If there is only one breadwinner, please try to find the money to have insurance on that person.

In all these years, at the Temple of Gothard, surely it has happened to some wife w/no skills. Farming accidents, Vehicular, cancer...what is Gothards plan for these dependents? The Amish have Amish Aid, their form of medical insurance; each family contributes. Dependent  wives cook or clean for "the English," set up tourist shoppes & continue working their small farms. But I just can't see ppl like Anna or Jill doing domestic work or knowing how to run a small business. The Amish are fluent in 2 languages, sometimes 3, if you count High German, which their Bibles are printed in. After 8th grade, they are designated to the family farm to learn domestic skills and how to handle money and the bookkeeping, so they don't get ripped off by the ever-honest English. They are supposed to keep a notebook for the state to  guarantee they have continued their education at home. I don't see any evidence of Gothard doing any of this. He should have trade schools at least.

It's possible Derrick is having trouble handling the water in a foreign country.

23 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Anna looks like the opening notes of Sounds of Silence are playing in her internal soundtrack. "I married THIS guy? I made a huge mistake..."

Anna is scared of heights, I think, and perhaps riding a camel wasn't her choice.

Derrick could have a number of health problems or he could just be lazy.

Two sides to every story I guess.

On the other hand, his dorky cuteness when he met Jill was rather adorable but now... ugh.

The problem is that they post pictures without explanations: Screaming, swaddled Izzy, Izzy with black eye, Derrick looking emaciated and hairy. Simple explanations would eliminate a lot of speculation, unless, of course, that's what they want.

3 hours ago, jcanglin991 said:

<snip>

These women will not be entitled to these things if they never work. If their husbands only work for themselves or rely on donations  like Jill and Derrick  seem to intend, and they have huge families, not only will they not have a safety net like social security, they will probably never be able to save for retirement. I know of several widows that have been left with nothing when their husbands died after spending their lives taking care of their homes and children. It's not pretty and not a situation I would wish on anyone. I encourage women to think about these things early. If you  choose to stay home, please make it your business to know about your finances and make plans. Even women who stay at home can open retirement accounts. If there is only one breadwinner, please try to find the money to have insurance on that person.

@jcanglin991 makes excellent points here.  I will add, that the SAHM (or parent) needs life insurance as well.  Even a minimal amount will make a huge difference.  Daycare costs are often a consideration in one parent staying at home.  If suddenly you had to pay daycare expenses without an increase in income, that could financially devastate families, as well

25 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The problem is that they post pictures without explanations: Screaming, swaddled Izzy, Izzy with black eye, Derrick looking emaciated and hairy. Simple explanations would eliminate a lot of speculation, unless, of course, that's what they want.

just remember last years valentine picture of the BED :D

Although I firmly believe that every able-bodied adult should possess the skills needed to jump in and support a family if the situation arose, the problem with famliy Duggar/Dillard/Seewald is that NO ONE seemingly has the skills or inclination to get a job to support their family (ies).

In their world EVERYONE is a SAH.

8 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Now, I don't mean to hop on the meany bus direct to Bitch Corner, but I feel it needs to be said:

MOST serious medical issues that come up in your 20's and 30's don't get better as you age: they get worse.  I say this as a person WITH chronic medical issues.  I may get better at managing them as I age (I'm nearly 28 now), but I accept that as I age, my body will not handle the toll of serious flare ups as well nor recover as quickly.  I can do all I can to keep my body otherwise in top shape, but that's life.

Which is why I would NEVER consider marrying a partner I would be expected to support.  I used to consider this in my early 20's before my insides went on strike, but now I know it's a bad call as there is a VERY REAL chance my health may require me not to work for an extended time later in life, and I need a partner that can pay the bills if they have to.  

So what is Jill going to do?  If Derick's health continues to be an issue (and if it has gone on this long, it likely will) and the issues get worse with age (as is to be expected), what is Jill going to do if he needs to take an extended leave of absence from working in his 40's?  What if his health forces him into early retirement?  How are they going to afford the medical bills without insurance from a "real" job?  

Jill is not expecting to EVER have to be the primary bread winner, but if her spouse has health issues, she may not have a choice.

Derick hasn't worked since he left his job at Walmart to be a fake missionary. And he only had that job for, what, 9 months? Maybe.

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Can you PM me the link where you got the second photo?  I'm almost positive I know him.

Never mind - i just sent the pic to my daughter and it's not who I thought it was.  Looks exactly like her boyfriend...exactly.  If I saw this pic on her phone I'd have to text him and gently mock the silly tongue thing!  

That he's got a doppleganger out there is kind of freaking her out. :) 

Haha I grabbed it off pinterest. I'm not sure who it is. A reverse image search just brought up Pinterest and Tumblr, neither of which credit the origin.

On 2/14/2016 at 10:30 AM, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

"During large outbreaks in French Polynesia and Brazil in 2013 and 2015, national health authorities reported portential neurological and auto-immune complications of Zika Virus disease. Recently in Brazil, local health authorities have observed an increase in Guillain-Barre syndrome which coincide with Zika virus infections in the general public, as well as increase of babies born with microcephaly in northeast Brazil." ~WHO

And, slathering themselves with DEET, it helps to reduce the amount of bugs that bite you, but it does not prevent all bites. Hell, I spent all summer in CT practically bathing myself in DEET and I still ended up with at least 5 mosquito bites every day.

This has nothing to do with anything really, but I rarely wear bug spray and rarely get bitten my son is the same way.  My husband and daughter get eaten alive bug spray or no bug spray.  I think some people are just prone to bug bites while others naturally repel bugs. My husband says it is barbecue he is so sweet and I'm stinky. :my_dodgy:

There was just a report released that said Zika isn't causing the microcephaly, but a chemical caused Pyriproxyfen that is in the drinking water. The Pyriproxyfen was sprayed to help control the mosquito larvae.  This is just one report from a group of Argentinean Doctors.  

3 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This has nothing to do with anything really, but I rarely wear bug spray and rarely get bitten my son is the same way.  My husband and daughter get eaten alive bug spray or no bug spray.  I think some people are just prone to bug bites while others naturally repel bugs. My husband says it is barbecue he is so sweet and I'm stinky. :my_dodgy:

There was just a report released that said Zika isn't causing the microcephaly, but a chemical caused Pyriproxyfen that is in the drinking water. The Pyriproxyfen was sprayed to help control the mosquito larvae.  This is just one report from a group of Argentinean Doctors.  

Studies have shown that people who are O type blood are more likely to be bit by biting insects. A blood types are half as likely as O types to get bit, and B types fall in the middle.

Also, 85% of people secrete a chemical in our skin that announces a blood type. Those people are more likely to get bit by people who don't secrete said chemical, regardless of their blood type. (So an O non-secreter will be less likely to be bit than an A secreter).

I did hear that there is conflicting evidence about the microcephaly, but everything at this point says that there has to be more testing to determine one way or the other.

On 2/14/2016 at 2:29 PM, twinmama said:

Babies should be pale. Slather those kids in sunblock! 

I agree, and my kids always were, as are hers.  My siblings and are German/Cuban/English ethnicity, my sister and brother are very English/German Northern European pale, my sisters kids are as well.  My brother myself my daughter and my brothers daughter are all very dark (for white folks) and tan very easily, I've always joked my skin just knows its summer and turns brown.  I wear sunblock and avoid the sun like a vampire but I'm not pale in the least so it is weird for us to see kids SO PALE.  If they are outside for more than 10 minutes without sunblock on they burn.  

4 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I agree, and my kids always were, as are hers.  My siblings and are German/Cuban/English ethnicity, my sister and brother are very English/German Northern European pale, my sisters kids are as well.  My brother myself my daughter and my brothers daughter are all very dark (for white folks) and tan very easily, I've always joked my skin just knows its summer and turns brown.  I wear sunblock and avoid the sun like a vampire but I'm not pale in the least so it is weird for us to see kids SO PALE.  If they are outside for more than 10 minutes without sunblock on they burn.  

My siblings and I are like that. I can be outside for 5 minutes and already have tanlines. My sister is so white she's actually allergic to the sun. My brother is somewhere in the middle (he burns but can tan from the burn).

My granddaughter has albinism. She has to wear sunblock all the time *and* protective clothing and hats during the day.  She cannot handle sun exposure at all.  

1 hour ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

...Also, 85% of people secrete a chemical in our skin that announces a blood type. Those people are more likely to get bit by people who don't secrete said chemical, regardless of their blood type. (So an O non-secreter will be less likely to be bit than an A secreter)....

Love the typo - I'm having visions of the poor secreting people being chased around by non-secreting people who are madly trying to bite them - Vampires!

After reading the new blog, and seeing the photos of Derick.....I have to say, he doesn't look well. Not just in one.....but in all the photos I have seen since the surgery. The implication that prayers have been needed.....I think it is his health. The hair and beard hide some of it....but it is HOT down there....can't imagine he is comfortable....and the reference to things being more difficult than they seem could certainly pertain to his health.  He is too thin. His smile does not reach his eyes. He is not taking care of his appearance, which is always important to them. His color is sallow,  with dark circles under his eyes. He does not seem interested in things in general, and the tone of his writing is different, too. Maybe it is chronic pain, perhaps illness or depression.....whatever it is, I hope they are dealing with it. 

5 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

Studies have shown that people who are O type blood are more likely to be bit by biting insects. A blood types are half as likely as O types to get bit, and B types fall in the middle.

Also, 85% of people secrete a chemical in our skin that announces a blood type. Those people are more likely to get bit by people who don't secrete said chemical, regardless of their blood type. (So an O non-secreter will be less likely to be bit than an A secreter).

I did hear that there is conflicting evidence about the microcephaly, but everything at this point says that there has to be more testing to determine one way or the other.

I guess I'm one of those really unlucky A blood type people who gets bitten above and beyond what everyone else around me seems to. I also tend to welt up badly when I get bitten :( Maybe my feet just stink worse than my friends'.

22 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

I guess I'm one of those really unlucky A blood type people who gets bitten above and beyond what everyone else around me seems to. I also tend to welt up badly when I get bitten :( Maybe my feet just stink worse than my friends'.

Fellow A here. Seriously, mosquitoes just love me. And the bites always get super swollen, like a coin. And nlw they have started to bite me in the hands. Worst itch ever. But still better than bites in the soles

20 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Fellow A here. Seriously, mosquitoes just love me. And the bites always get super swollen, like a coin. And nlw they have started to bite me in the hands. Worst itch ever. But still better than bites in the soles

the worst bites are on your eyelids. They swell shut and make you temporarily blind.

33 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

the worst bites are on your eyelids. They swell shut and make you temporarily blind.

Eyelids?? Holy shit, never even thought about it. They never bite me in the face, thankfully. 

6 hours ago, Kjaerringa said:

After reading the new blog, and seeing the photos of Derick.....I have to say, he doesn't look well. Not just in one.....but in all the photos I have seen since the surgery. The implication that prayers have been needed.....I think it is his health. The hair and beard hide some of it....but it is HOT down there....can't imagine he is comfortable....and the reference to things being more difficult than they seem could certainly pertain to his health.  He is too thin. His smile does not reach his eyes. He is not taking care of his appearance, which is always important to them. His color is sallow,  with dark circles under his eyes. He does not seem interested in things in general, and the tone of his writing is different, too. Maybe it is chronic pain, perhaps illness or depression.....whatever it is, I hope they are dealing with it. 

He could very easily have a bone infection and I doubt they're getting any kind of regular checkups or follow-ups. 

2 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

Yeah my dad got mozzie bites on the eyelids and ended up in hospital as his eyelids swelled so significantly and were forced shut. Poor guy had IV anti histamines for a week or so.

I'm type b blood and get bitten like crazy. I recently found out that I'm allergic to mosquito bites and some spider bites. All along, I thought everybody's itched for weeks and always became festering sores. My type o bf gets bitten at least as much but is barely bothered by them.

As for the sun, I have very pale skin, tan slowly, but never burn (Hispanic and Irish genes)

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived