IGNORED

Erika Shupe *grim rictus* Large Families on Purpose Part 4

keen23

2 hours ago, Rowan said:

No doubt in my mind that you would! I would have to look back at your other posts, but I never would have thought you didn't have English as a native language.

To change your last sentence into Erika-ese, I'm thinking it would be "Wonder if I can fair better then Erika." And those are just obvious ones she would flake on.

Well, a lot of people complain about autocorrect, I use it to my advantage :my_sleepy::my_biggrin:. I'm not too bad at spelling though, probably because I learned English as a written language (in fact my biggest fear is that when I'll need to speak during the exam I'll forget everything I know or that my pronunciation will be very poor), using books (Harry Potter mainly), websites, news and now FJ. My concern is that I have difficulties evaluating the richness of my English. I fear my vocabulary is a bit too limited,  I understand the meaning of nearly everything (I usually score very high in reading comprehension), but use only a limited amount of words. And the written part of that exam requires to write in a formal or semi-formal style. This all worries me a bit.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erika has got to have some tiny niggle of self-doubt with all of this, surely??? I mean I know she's full sure she's the best in the world at EVERYTHING, but when you post something on d'interweb and it gets roundly refuted (and openly mocked!) surely some teeny tiny part of you brain goes "Uh oh, I was a bit of a doofus with that one..." And you learn a little from it and grow a little, even to such a tiny degree that it's not visible to the human or Free Jinger eye.

Right? Right???

Irish Carrie. Believing in the power of human growth, despite all evidence to the contrary.

:playful2:

53 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I fear my vocabulary is a bit too limited,  I understand the meaning of nearly everything (I usually score very high in reading comprehension), but use only a limited amount of words. And the written part of that exam requires to write in a formal or semi-formal style. This all worries me a bit.

I know that feeling. I can read academic articles in a 2nd language no problem but would never get close to being able to write one (even if I did get B2 certification in it). The more you practice active language (speaking/writing) the better it becomes. You could also try doing crossword puzzles. I find that helps a bit because to get the answer I am usually recalling a lot of synonyms. It can be hard finding puzzles that exercise useful vocab though :(

Actually I would struggle to write sometimes academic in English now (damn immersive learning/not using native language). I'm also just not a good writer. 

I googled "readability test" and used the first one. I put in the introductory paragraph for a research paper I wrote my senior year of college (won an award for it too!). Grade level: 18. I'm pleased. 

On 1/25/2016 at 0:45 AM, elliha said:

Yes, it is theoretically about men having all the power but Erika clearly makes a lot of the family decisions and I think Bob has given up trying to change things. Remember, he doesn't even get to see his mom and dad regularly because they are a "bad influence" on the children and perhaps on Bob as well. 

And yes, she would take every penny possible and make him into the most evil man alive. I don't think Erika would grieve a divorce very much though. While I think she does on some level enjoy Bob's company I don't think that she loves him more than the idea of being the perfect wife and mother. He is an accessory that allows her the image she wants but he could be replaced with another man if the church allowed her to remarry. I honestly think that in another type of church Erika may well have ditched Bob herself and upgraded herself as soon as she had an opportunity. 

Oh, yes. Among "top dog" women in patriarchy, you find this pattern. The man may be the head, but the woman is the neck that determines which way the head will turn. I've been told James and Stacy McDonald's marriage works much the same way.

He's got her just where she wants him. (To paraphrase Captain James T. Kirk in one of the ST movies.)

ETA: I've been thinking about this for awhile now. It seems to me that a strong woman marries a relatively weak man and then adopts the mindset of patriarchy so that she can have her way with none of the accountability. It's always his fault, you see, if anything goes wrong. And if things are going "right" in her eyes she has the secret satisfaction of being the puppeteer pulling the strings, even while appearing all submissive and demure and sweet. Iron fist in the velvet glove.

Such a woman looks down on men, denigrates her husband oh, so sweetly, praises him with faint damns to others. While she's talking about how wonderfully submissive she is, she's also mock-complaining about her husband, seeing him as just another one of the kids. And believe me, men in this culture act like adolescents in that they've been spoiled to expect their every whim to be gratified, just so long as it's something their wife thinks is the right thing. They're not used to having their will openly crossed, which makes it really difficult for a teen to safely express their own, individual thinking that is a part of the natural maturing and breaking-away from parents.

Jeez, it sounds so schizo and contradictory. No wonder the lifestyle drove us almost literally crazy.

I think Erika would grieve immensely over a divorce. I believe she genuinely loves Bob, and considers the control an extension of that love. Moreover, a divorce proves that everything isn't perfect in her world, and she tries so hard to make it seem as though everything is smooth in her life. She and Bob have the perfect marriage because she puts him first- the kids are polite, well behaved, and properly educated because they're beaten, underfed, and undereducated. Her whole blog is devoted to talking about how great she is at doing things.

No, she'd be devastated over a divorce. It would be too big a loss of control for her. 

3 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

Erika has got to have some tiny niggle of self-doubt with all of this, surely??? I mean I know she's full sure she's the best in the world at EVERYTHING, but when you post something on d'interweb and it gets roundly refuted (and openly mocked!) surely some teeny tiny part of you brain goes "Uh oh, I was a bit of a doofus with that one..." And you learn a little from it and grow a little, even to such a tiny degree that it's not visible to the human or Free Jinger eye.

Right? Right???

Irish Carrie. Believing in the power of human growth, despite all evidence to the contrary.

:playful2:

No. Sorry. You have no idea how strongly people will hold on to self-delusion. Mocking them just makes them surer that they're right, oddly enough, and gives them brownie points for "suffering for their belief".

7 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I think Erika would grieve immensely over a divorce. I believe she genuinely loves Bob, and considers the control an extension of that love. Moreover, a divorce proves that everything isn't perfect in her world, and she tries so hard to make it seem as though everything is smooth in her life. She and Bob have the perfect marriage because she puts him first- the kids are polite, well behaved, and properly educated because they're beaten, underfed, and undereducated. Her whole blog is devoted to talking about how great she is at doing things.

No, she'd be devastated over a divorce. It would be too big a loss of control for her. 

Agreed. I don't think a divorce would ever truly be in the cards, anyway. Just think of the child support payment Bob would be responsible for.

25 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I agree that Erika would grieve bitterly over a divorce, and I'm inclined to think its more because it would be a huge blight on the perfect façade she has built. Most fundies consider divorce to be a huge flaw in one's character, even if that divorce is biblically justified (i.e. adultery occurred). Just like you said it'd shatter that appearance of a perfect life that she has so painstakingly built up. I do think she loves Bob but I don't get the sense that either of them are crazy about one another. Given that we know they fight often and in front of the kids, I feel that if they were any less conservative, there's a good chance they'd no longer be together. 

Also, her praise of him in the blog and on FB seems so forced and stilted. Like she's going through the motions because a good wife should praise her husband etc. etc., but the sincerity isn't there. 

1 hour ago, refugee said:

No. Sorry. You have no idea how strongly people will hold on to self-delusion. Mocking them just makes them surer that they're right, oddly enough, and gives them brownie points for "suffering for their belief".

Isn't there a term for this...?

1 minute ago, refugee said:

Delusions of something-or-other?

Hm. Looked it up ... still not sure ... "persecutory delusions" are listed as a mental illness, but are usually associated with paranoid schizophrenia. Kinda don't think that applies.

When I looked up "grandiosity" it seems to fit more accurately, but still not 100% sure ...

Especially since it says that this is associated with it:

• The person exaggerates talents, capacity and achievements in an unrealistic way.
  • The person regards himself/herself as unique or special when compared to other people.
  • The person regards himself/herself as generally superior to other people.

Smacks of Erika...

I picked a bad day to be busy, as I missed so much Erika-related goodness, but I can sum it up as this...

If you're too ill-educated to comprehend that an article is discussing the deficiencies in your educational technique, then you are too ignorant to be the sole provider of education to your children.  

1 hour ago, refugee said:

Delusions of something-or-other?

Delusions of grandeur, IIRC.

32 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I picked a bad day to be busy, as I missed so much Erika-related goodness, but I can sum it up as this...

If you're too ill-educated to comprehend that an article is discussing the deficiencies in your educational technique, then you are too ignorant to be the sole provider of education to your children.  

Delusions of grandeur, IIRC.

Still shaking my head over that article :D she doesn't even seem to be able to comprehend the comments. Talk about echo chamber.

8 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Well, a lot of people complain about autocorrect, I use it to my advantage :my_sleepy::my_biggrin:. I'm not too bad at spelling though, probably because I learned English as a written language (in fact my biggest fear is that when I'll need to speak during the exam I'll forget everything I know or that my pronunciation will be very poor), using books (Harry Potter mainly), websites, news and now FJ. My concern is that I have difficulties evaluating the richness of my English. I fear my vocabulary is a bit too limited,  I understand the meaning of nearly everything (I usually score very high in reading comprehension), but use only a limited amount of words. And the written part of that exam requires to write in a formal or semi-formal style. This all worries me a bit.

As a former college-level ESL teacher, Pope Joan, I can tell you that you'll ace it!

9 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I googled "readability test" and used the first one. I put in the introductory paragraph for a research paper I wrote my senior year of college (won an award for it too!). Grade level: 18. I'm pleased. 

*cheer!*   :pb_lol:

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:52 PM, Eternalbluepearl said:

Politeness is awesome! Kindness too. :)

So just a thought... isn't it odd how evil and wrong Erika finds teachers and schools to be when she was a teacher? I think She would agree that she had her students best interests at heart, worked hard, and tried her best. Why would she believe differently of other teachers? 

Erika being a teacher is both the funniest and most heart-breaking irony I've seen in a long time.

20 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

She must not know about the hide feature.

Don't tell her!!!

19 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

How do you do it? There's an app, a website or something like that? I'm going to take an English language exam for ESL learners soon and this seems an interesting method to evaluate my writings. Wonder if I can fare better than Erika.

I use this one https://readability-score.com/

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

Erika being a teacher is both the funniest and most heart-breaking irony I've seen in a long time.

Don't tell her!!!

I'm not telling her a damn thing. lol

Idk if this has been mentioned yet,but you can check readability on word. You can make it part of spell check in the settings. It'll also tell you the percentage of passive sentences. I use it all the time for college.

7 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Isn't there a term for this...?

7 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Hm. Looked it up ... still not sure ... "persecutory delusions" are listed as a mental illness, but are usually associated with paranoid schizophrenia. Kinda don't think that applies.

When I looked up "grandiosity" it seems to fit more accurately, but still not 100% sure ...

Especially since it says that this is associated with it:

• The person exaggerates talents, capacity and achievements in an unrealistic way.
  • The person regards himself/herself as unique or special when compared to other people.
  • The person regards himself/herself as generally superior to other people.

Smacks of Erika...

As the adult child of a narcissistic mother, I wonder if Erika has tendencies in that direction?  I hope she's not SCREAMING at her kids constantly.  Maybe the drill sergeant schedules & blanket training has worked any & all potential missteps from their systems?

15 minutes ago, pnwgypsy said:

As the adult child of a narcissistic mother, I wonder if Erika has tendencies in that direction?  I hope she's not SCREAMING at her kids constantly.  Maybe the drill sergeant schedules & blanket training has worked any & all potential missteps from their systems?

That sounds... Awful.

I know it is silly to try and draw an actual diagnosis on a possible mental health issue based on her blogs and such... But it does make me wonder and try and figure it out.

I'm feeling so left out that I missed this hilarious Erika post! I just looked at the Facebook page. Obviously she's deleted some comments now, but this is too funny! She probably spent too much time on the Internet the other day, and found that article, skimmed it, and posted it with an, 'I'll show them' attitude. :pb_lol: 

Thinking about it just cracks me up! And now she's either too stubborn to pull it down, or too lazy to re-read it, and notice why everyone is confused on why she posted it! Funny shit. 

37 minutes ago, iweartanktops6 said:

I'm feeling so left out that I missed this hilarious Erika post! I just looked at the Facebook page. Obviously she's deleted some comments now, but this is too funny! She probably spent too much time on the Internet the other day, and found that article, skimmed it, and posted it with an, 'I'll show them' attitude. :pb_lol: 

Thinking about it just cracks me up! And now she's either too stubborn to pull it down, or too lazy to re-read it, and notice why everyone is confused on why she posted it! Funny shit. 

I honestly think she's too dense to understand, even now, that the article doesn't say "Homeschoolers are the great hope for America." I'd wager she's confused as to the feedback she's getting/thinks that obviously everyone else doesn't understand what the article says. *ryesmile*

18 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I honestly think she's too dense to understand, even now, that the article doesn't say "Homeschoolers are the great hope for America." I'd wager she's confused as to the feedback she's getting/thinks that obviously everyone else doesn't understand what the article says. "ryesmile"

*CHUCKLEFUCK*

I think you're right! :pb_lol:

No one apparently reads below the big ad to get to the real stuff. Below the biggest ad for me were links to other articles and the comments section. I must have read it incorrectly

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived