IGNORED

Erika Shupe *grim rictus* Large Families on Purpose Part 4

keen23

19 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Well, a lot of people complain about autocorrect, I use it to my advantage :my_sleepy::my_biggrin:. I'm not too bad at spelling though, probably because I learned English as a written language (in fact my biggest fear is that when I'll need to speak during the exam I'll forget everything I know or that my pronunciation will be very poor), using books (Harry Potter mainly), websites, news and now FJ. My concern is that I have difficulties evaluating the richness of my English. I fear my vocabulary is a bit too limited,  I understand the meaning of nearly everything (I usually score very high in reading comprehension), but use only a limited amount of words. And the written part of that exam requires to write in a formal or semi-formal style. This all worries me a bit.

Just so you know, I tested this passage and it came back with an average grade level 10.5, so I think you're doing alright! I used https://readability-score.com/ which I've used in the past (in one of my 400 level university courses we had to practice writing at a 7th grade level and it was awful) :my_sick:

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This past fall, as part of an exercise in how to write for the intellectually disabled, I had to write something at a fourth-grade level.  It was HARD.  It took me a long time.  Things that lower the grade level include shorter sentences, no words more than 3 syllables, shorter phrases, simple punctuation, using few or no similes, metaphors, etc.  I really admire early-elementary teachers for being able to do this, but Erika is teaching high schoolers......I really worry for fundie kids like these that won't be able to navigate a job application, apartment rental agreement, even a credit card application, because they lack basic literacy skills.  I wonder if this lack keeps some kids at home even when they want to leave, and if it is done deliberately by people like Erika to keep their kids isolated and at home.

1 hour ago, anachronistic said:

This past fall, as part of an exercise in how to write for the intellectually disabled, I had to write something at a fourth-grade level.  It was HARD.  It took me a long time.  Things that lower the grade level include shorter sentences, no words more than 3 syllables, shorter phrases, simple punctuation, using few or no similes, metaphors, etc.  I really admire early-elementary teachers for being able to do this, but Erika is teaching high schoolers......I really worry for fundie kids like these that won't be able to navigate a job application, apartment rental agreement, even a credit card application, because they lack basic literacy skills.  I wonder if this lack keeps some kids at home even when they want to leave, and if it is done deliberately by people like Erika to keep their kids isolated and at home.

Yep, it's tough. Same strategy as trying to speak to non-native English learners -- short, declarative sentences, no complicated syntax or phrasing. It is tough to communicate much information that way.

2 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Honestly? The people I knew in the culture were just doing the best they could manage, and trusting what their leaders, mentors, and gurus were telling them.

One of the concerns raised often among the moms I knew was if we were competent to educate our children. The gurus kept telling us all we needed was a bible and some writing materials, but deep down inside, we worried.

I don't know how much attention the dads were paying -- most of them were busting their butts trying to support a family on a single income, and the only ones who were making it look easy were the doctors, lawyers, and con men (the ones writing books and selling "the vision" through all kinds of materials and workshops, and getting speakers fees at conventions).

They had to have a new and fresh message, a new revelation, to keep us coming back for more, but they had the dynamics of the movement (actually, of society in general) on their side. The greater percentage of the people were uncertain, even fear-driven, wanting the best for their children, and seeing chaos (rising unemployment, apparent breakdown of society around them, political manipulation--all highlighted by the regular feeding they got from the pulpit). They wanted heroes. They needed something to believe in. They'd been raised in a culture of "experts" with the message constantly pounded into them that if they didn't do things according to the "experts" everything would go to ruin.

(Don't believe me? Look at the ads in old magazines from the 30s onward, and the television commercials from the 50s onward. Women were assaulted with the information that homemaking and their family's health was all up to them, and it was complicated! Why, if you didn't buy the right product, little voices would be taunting you with "Ring around the collar!" loud enough for your friends to hear! Meanwhile, your hands would be a raw, red mess from washing dishes in the wrong detergent. How did your neighbor manage to have hands that could be mistaken for those of her 16yo daughter? And if you didn't use "Ban" deodorant, you'd be a walking waste dump. And if you didn't buy the right toilet tissue, you might as well flush your family down the toilet for all the good you were doing.

And if you were a man? Well, for one thing, you'd better be wearing Old Spice, or people would look at you funny, and not like a manly man at all. And don't forget that tobacco helps to strengthen your lungs--just look at the cigarette-holding doctor in the old B&W Life Magazine ad...)

Dr. Spock told everyone how they should be raising their babies and children so that they wouldn't turn out flaming neurotics.

Those in the evangelical culture had been primed for decades, generations, even (Hello, Kevin Swanson!) to listen to the loudest, most confident voices, and to lack confidence in themselves.

Even my hippie siblings (yes, I'm that old) suffered a lack of confidence, all the while they were rebelling against the establishment. They just listened to other "loudest voices".

tldr; For years American culture--especially advertising--has primed people to feel incompetent, and to look for "experts" to fill the gap.

8 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

No one apparently reads below the big ad to get to the real stuff. Below the biggest ad for me were links to other articles and the comments section. I must have read it incorrectly

You know, Erika must be the smartest of us all because apparently all of us (her commenters, too) simply misunderstood the main point. Only she gets it. Yep... only her. :roll:

(I have adblock so I don't see "the big ad," so I guess I'm doubly dumb)

3 hours ago, refugee said:

Honestly? The people I knew in the culture were just doing the best they could manage, and trusting what their leaders, mentors, and gurus were telling them.

One of the concerns raised often among the moms I knew was if we were competent to educate our children. The gurus kept telling us all we needed was a bible and some writing materials, but deep down inside, we worried.

I think this is probably true for a lot of people, from my experience it is equally true that a lot of people were drawn to these sorts of lifestyles because it gave them control. They liked being able to micro-manage their children/spouse. They liked being able to isolate them. They liked the power it gave them and so they did deliberately do things to make it hard for their children to ever leave. There are plenty of fundie kids who wanted to leave but struggled because their parents were actively trying to make it as hard as possible. 

16 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I think this is probably true for a lot of people, from my experience it is equally true that a lot of people were drawn to these sorts of lifestyles because it gave them control. They liked being able to micro-manage their children/spouse. They liked being able to isolate them. They liked the power it gave them and so they did deliberately do things to make it hard for their children to ever leave. There are plenty of fundie kids who wanted to leave but struggled because their parents were actively trying to make it as hard as possible. 

It also probably ties-in to the reinforced concept that if the kids rebel, and leave: You have failed as the godly parent.

Ok, now Erika's really being random with reposts:

http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/12/closely-spaced-pregnancies-children.html?m=1

I personally could not imagine having sex a mere six weeks after delivery. It's weird that she's like "With this, I wasn't dreading getting pregnant again within 6-8 weeks of delivery". I can't believe Bob wouldn't let Erika take a break. The way she described it, it's like she gets impregnated the way Mary did with Jesus.

Fundie husbands are just asshats. Fundieism sounds like a fucking awful lifestyle. Why women get into it, I will never understand.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/12/closely-spaced-pregnancies-children.html?m=1

I personally could not imagine having sex a mere six weeks after delivery. It's weird that she's like "With this, I wasn't dreading getting pregnant again within 6-8 weeks of delivery". I can't believe Bob wouldn't let Erika take a break. The way she described it, it's like she gets impregnated the way Mary did with Jesus.

Fundie husbands are just asshats. Fundieism sounds like a fucking awful lifestyle. Why women get into it, I will never understand.

I still don't understand why Erika doesn't make more of an effort to write new content. If she spent maybe half an hour a day writing instead of reposting things, she'd easily have a new blog post per week. Perhaps she sees her advice as only being relevant when it has to do w/ pregnancy and taking care of toddlers? I would've thought that she has plenty more to say about raising kids and organization. 

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Meh, I can barely wait five weeks before I'm chomping at the bit for some "fellowship" lol. (And, yes, I ask my doctor.)

I've just been amused/amazed/annoyed by readers comments and Erika's replies regarding the older girls necklines/clothing on the blog.

Sadly (because presumably they have nothing else to think about) some readers have expressed concern about Karens dress in a picture.

KL wrote;

"I noticed that Karen is wearing a tank top style shirt/dress. She looks beautiful but i'm a little surprised to see so much skin showing."

Then The Reynolds waded in with this;

"I too am shocked at the skin. Collar bone or no collar bone in our home it is what can be seen in different positions that matters. Unless you stand stock still and stiff as a soldier, that material will pucker, gap and allow men to see down where they shouldn't. Also just the cut of the neckline draws eyes to the bust, the sleeveless-ness allows the imagination to travel to the bust also. I have enjoyed your blog for a while, but I feel your daughter just lost her innocence and I am a little concerned. It just doesn't seem consistent with what you have been teaching all this time."

And Erika, all riled up, responded with this;

"The Reynolds,
First of all the dress is not sleeveless like a tank top, which we pretty much never wear in public unless it's a very, very modest one. Secondly the neckline may be lower than we ever allow, however she only wore this dress for a few hours (and from our dress up box, not purchased to be worn anywhere else) and with no boys present. We went to a friend's house with only girls and then she took it off. I didn't worry about it for those few hours. We also need to keep perspective. I did post the photos, but no one online is seeing her bend over in a photo (which by the way the dress allowed for just fine), or move around. I don't see it as any big deal at all, and she certainly did not lose her innocence over it.

septemberJanuary 30, 2015 at 3:08 PM

The comment from Thr Reynolds is completely inappropriate. Anyone who can look at a beautiful young girl and *think* of ways to objectify and sexualize her is creepy. YOU are the one with the problem."

There is also mention of the disgusting behaviour of mothers allowing their children to play naked in their gardens....oh the shame?!

All of them sadly don't think that if a man is too immature to control himself when faced with a little flesh (or a crotch completely covered by fabric) that's his problem and he needs to grow up/get real/get help. That it shouldn't be the females chore to constantly worry about poor easily turned on men and in any case, why on earth are women made with breasts/vaginas/collar bones/knees rather than a large shroud of skin that covers us completely only to be removed in the dark once we're married.........this topic always makes me so angry. It's on a par with Muslim women  forced to wear the burka and completely veiled for exactly the same reason. We have bodies, organs, skin, it's not dirty, or shameful and teaching children it is is the shameful thing in my opinion grrrrr!

Erika, since we know you're reading, I thought of you today at the thrift store.  a couple weeks ago I found a great pair of chico's dress pants.  Higher elastic waist, not too tight on my thighs, long enough, not too clingy, & non wrinkle.  I was so excited, I wanted to order more directly from the store.  They don't make them in that particular fabric anymore. :(  Today at 50% off day, what do I find?  Another pair of those pants in my size!  God had heard my prayers!!!!  I will now parade around in my bifurcated garment showing off my crotch.

42 minutes ago, pnwgypsy said:

I will now parade around in my bifurcated garment showing off my crotch.

Pretty sure I just fell in love with you.  :my_biggrin:   I would LOVE to see a certain blogger try to spell "bifurcated."  

4 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Meh, I can barely wait five weeks before I'm chomping at the bit for some "fellowship" lol. (And, yes, I ask my doctor.)

Eh, fair. What I mean more is the idea of being pregnant again so damn fast. Pregnancy takes its toll on a woman, and to give birth again only 10.5 months after a previous delivery seems utter madness to me. Having sex again, OK, I can see that. But being preggers again? Nuh uh. There's a reason you're advised to wait. 

15 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Can you link the post, @Loki? I don't see it on the blog, and I'd love to check out Karen's scandalous outfit!

The comments are on this post: http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2013/12/continuing-vision-still-where-did-you-go.html

Not sure what picture they're talking about though.

Karen and Melanie seem to wear sleeveless, lower-cut tops in public though: https://picasaweb.google.com/117521253160851376329/LFOPSlideShow?authkey=Gv1sRgCOX9y6a504XCQA&feat=flashalbum#6099539612653416610

They also do the shirt under shirt look: https://picasaweb.google.com/117521253160851376329/LFOPSlideShow?authkey=Gv1sRgCOX9y6a504XCQA&feat=flashalbum#6099503655148510978

(They look perfectly fine and "innocent" to me.)

9 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

I still don't understand why Erika doesn't make more of an effort to write new content. If she spent maybe half an hour a day writing instead of reposting things, she'd easily have a new blog post per week. Perhaps she sees her advice as only being relevant when it has to do w/ pregnancy and taking care of toddlers? I would've thought that she has plenty more to say about raising kids and organization. 

Some say that everyone has a book in them, but sometimes it's just one book.  From reading Erika's blog, I get the feeling that she's written her book, and is now in the regurgitation and repetition stage.  There's never anything new for her to add, just old posts to promote.  

Thank you so much @Paperplate for linking for me! It was about 1am here when i posted (very late night watching films and internetting) and then I went to bed, so I wasn't ignoring you @JillyO I'm ashamed to admit, but we didn't get up until 11am, we've all got nasty fluey/chest infections and are bleh so luckily you can't see me this morning in my dressing gown, coughing and moaning lol!

19 hours ago, withaj said:

Yep, it's tough. Same strategy as trying to speak to non-native English learners -- short, declarative sentences, no complicated syntax or phrasing. It is tough to communicate much information that way.

So... basically a Raquel poem?

Sorry. I couldn't resist *rye smile*

10 minutes ago, Loki said:

Thank you so much @Paperplate for linking for me! It was about 1am here when i posted (very late night watching films and internetting) and then I went to bed, so I wasn't ignoring you @JillyO I'm ashamed to admit, but we didn't get up until 11am, we've all got nasty fluey/chest infections and are bleh so luckily you can't see me this morning in my dressing gown, coughing and moaning lol!

No problem. Get well soon!

Too bad I couldn't find the picture they were talking about.

I wonder if Erika deleted the photo in question. The top Karen is wearing in those photos can't possibly be seen as defrauding... right?

Based on the date of the first comment that post was originally from 2013. I'm sure she at least updated the family photo when she reposted in Jan 2015. If the person was commenting on something in that post, anyway. It sounds like maybe it was a photo posted in an album. 

11 hours ago, pnwgypsy said:

Erika, since we know you're reading, I thought of you today at the thrift store.  a couple weeks ago I found a great pair of chico's dress pants.  Higher elastic waist, not too tight on my thighs, long enough, not too clingy, & non wrinkle.  I was so excited, I wanted to order more directly from the store.  They don't make them in that particular fabric anymore. :(  Today at 50% off day, what do I find?  Another pair of those pants in my size!  God had heard my prayers!!!!  I will now parade around in my bifurcated garment showing off my crotch.

:obscene-drinkingcheers: "Parading Around in a Bifurcated Garment, Showing off my Crotch" is our newest post count title!

The picture of Karen in question was on the side bar with the other kids' pics and has been updated a couple of times since. Erika left it up for months until she updated all the kids' photos. It's a very flattering picture and I wondered at the time if Erika was in the beginning stages of putting Karen "on the market."

1 hour ago, happy atheist said:

:obscene-drinkingcheers: "Parading Around in a Bifurcated Garment, Showing off my Crotch" is our newest post count title!

Hooray for HA! *beam*

Erika's inspired a lot of post count titles, whether directly or indirectly.  I can't wait to reach the next one! *grin*

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived