IGNORED

Bates Family Part 6

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

And don't forget my personal pet annoyance: "purpose to," followed closely by: "desires which cannot be righteously fullfilled."

Or "she/he has a heart for" "wouldn't it be neat" 

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, 16strong said:

As if everyone else isn't...

Getting laid can be a purpose, after all. : )

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I thought they actually let their kids set their own courtship rules.  I know the Duggars claim that, but 3 courtships have all had the same set of rules.

As long as those rules fall within their rules. Alyssa was able to finagle hand holding into her courtship but by that point they knew they were getting married and Kelly knew that too.  Someone asked Kelly about Alyssa and John front hugging and Kelly defensively replied that it was only for special occasions and in front of family/chaperones so it was safe.  Kissing was never on the table for any of the Bates couples.

Zach and Whitney kissed before marriage.  I don't think Gil and Kelly knew this but they admitted it on the TV show.

(Not as scandalous, but Michael front hugged the shit out of Brandon after he proposed to her).

9 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Zach and Whitney kissed before marriage.  I don't think Gil and Kelly knew this but they admitted it on the TV show.

(Not as scandalous, but Michael front hugged the shit out of Brandon after he proposed to her).

Yes, Zach and Whit admitted to 'slipping' and kissing once before marriage but that was definitely them going against the rules. The Bates have a different standard for hugs than the Duggars.  They hug their kids normally and their kids hug each other normally so Michael and Brandon hugging was not as big of a deal.  I think they said it was OK for greetings and goodbyes.  

49 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

As long as those rules fall within their rules. Alyssa was able to finagle hand holding into her courtship but by that point they knew they were getting married and Kelly knew that too.  Someone asked Kelly about Alyssa and John front hugging and Kelly defensively replied that it was only for special occasions and in front of family/chaperones so it was safe.  Kissing was never on the table for any of the Bates couples.

Don't the Duggars do hand holding? Josh and Anna had hand sex non-stop.

Zach is the only one who really did anything that different and I think they cut him more slack since Gil and Kelly had just put him through the humiliation of a televised courtship that failed. 

The Duggars have so far only held hands after getting engaged.  Jessa and Ben held hands for prayer before the officially announced engagement and caused Michelle to flip out.

9 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

I really wish we had the Up channel in Ireland.

I have major sad face that we don't :my_sad::my_sad::my_sad:

OT

I want to go back to Ireland! Our honeymoon was there 15 years ago. Flew into Shannon, down to Clonikilte (sp wrong) and we toured around there for a week (had a country house as a home base) - Ring of Kerry, Cork, the Western most point, then went to Waterford for 2 nights. My ancestors were "Egan" I thought it was funny the Egan bar was right next to the Catholic Cathedral - all my great aunt's would have been in church and all the uncles in the bar.then one night in Dublin and saw the book of Kells and Trinity College then flew home. Wonderful triip!

Ok back to regular scheduled Bates snarking. :)

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

The Duggars have so far only held hands after getting engaged.  Jessa and Ben held hands for prayer before the officially announced engagement and caused Michelle to flip out.

When you're at a point where you sexualize the act of joining hands during prayer, something is deeply wrong with you.

Zach and Whitney Bates are so into Winnie the Pooh, I can't help imagine Whitney going "you never watched Winnie the Pooh?" and showing Zach and then he became a super fan of Winnie the Pooh. 

Can you imagine your parents keeping something so wholesome from you?? For the sake of wholesomeness!?!?!?

Winnie the Pooh?  Wholesome?

That HARLOT Kanga is a SINGLE MOTHER.  She should do the right thing and adopt Roo out to a good Christian family with a MARRIED mother and father.  Of the opposite sex gender!  Then there's Tigger with his ADHD, Pooh himself with his gluttony, Eeyore (my personal favourite) with his clinical depression AKA LETTING SATAN INTO HIS HEART.  He clearly needs to pray more to get Satan's sad thoughts out of his heart!!!

No, Winnie the Pooh is liberal propaganda promoting tolerance of those with struggling with life's normal problems OBVIOUSLY. 

Zach feeling so guilty about being a fucking GROWN ASS MAN and kissing the woman he was going to marry he had to confess to his parents is all kinds of stupid but a part of me hopes that, Whitney at the very least, rolled her eyes at the confessing and only went along with it because she loves Zach and wants to keep the peace between her batshit insane in-laws but doesn't feel bad about kissing Zach before marriage at all.  Zach's guilt is most likely genuine, which is sad.

Oh, and these two (who are totally expecting again, sigh)?

theysokissedbeforemarriage.thumb.jpg.418

Totally kissed before marriage.  There's no way you can look THAT comfortable with a person you only just got that physically close to for the first time a few hours prior to this photo being taken.  Hell, I find kissing someone new for the first time awkward and nerve wracking and I would be a regular scarlet letter wearing SUUUU-LUTTTTTT to the Bateseseses family!

1 hour ago, habert said:

Can you imagine your parents keeping something so wholesome from you?? For the sake of wholesomeness!?!?!?

I guess Zach felt that since he kissed Whitney out of wedlock, he might as well commit to the dark side and watch some "Winnie the Pooh."  Hey, you only live once right? :pb_rollseyes:

I love your avatar, by the way!

2 minutes ago, AbandonAllHope said:

I guess Zach felt that since he kissed Whitney out of wedlock, he might as well commit to dark side and watch some "Winnie the Pooh" as well.  Hey, you only live once right? :pb_rollseyes:

I love your avatar, by the way!

Thank you! I'm a big 30 rock fan :)

On 12/29/2015 at 11:38 PM, justmy2cents said:

Copied from the batesfamblog:

News from UP TV

We have exciting fresh from UP TV!

There will be a marathon on New Years Eve

There will also be a bit of news that will be announced in the marathon around 8pm ET

The 20th Bates contest is going to start again!

So what do you all think the news will be?  I think it's a toss up between Nathan's Courtship or Alyssa's pregnancy.  I'll go with the Courtship since it's so obvious.

Lawson's music career. I bet.

3 hours ago, Ursula said:

That HARLOT Kanga is a SINGLE MOTHER.  She should do the right thing and adopt Roo out to a good Christian family with a MARRIED mother and father.  Of the opposite sex gender!  Then there's Tigger with his ADHD, Pooh himself with his gluttony, Eeyore (my personal favourite) with his clinical depression AKA LETTING SATAN INTO HIS HEART.  He clearly needs to pray more to get Satan's sad thoughts out of his heart!!!

No, Winnie the Pooh is liberal propaganda promoting tolerance of those with struggling with life's normal problems OBVIOUSLY. 

Zach feeling so guilty about being a fucking GROWN ASS MAN and kissing the woman he was going to marry he had to confess to his parents is all kinds of stupid but a part of me hopes that, Whitney at the very least, rolled her eyes at the confessing and only went along with it because she loves Zach and wants to keep the peace between her batshit insane in-laws but doesn't feel bad about kissing Zach before marriage at all.  Zach's guilt is most likely genuine, which is sad.

theysokissedbeforemarriage.thumb.jpg.418

Totally kissed before marriage.  There's no way you can look THAT comfortable with a person you only just got that physically close to for the first time a few hours prior to this photo being taken.  Hell, I find kissing someone new for the first time awkward and nerve wracking and I would be a regular scarlet letter wearing SUUUU-LUTTTTTT to the Bateseseses family!

One part of me hopes that he confessed to the kissing because they were actually moving dangerously close to "other things" and he just needed to make sure that they would make it and not have sex before the wedding. 

Eh, I don't know.  When the heck would they have had time to fornicate while being watched like a hawk by the many (many, many, many) eyes of the Bates family?  Sneaking in a relatively chaste kiss (I doubt they ever had hot and heavy make out sessions before they said their "i dos") would be easy enough but finding the time and place to get away for a sexy times session would be much more difficult.

Either way it's absolute balls that a grown ass man of 24 or 25 (however old Zach was at engagement/marriage) felt so guilt ridden at kissing the woman he's now married to before rings were on the fingers that he had to confess it to his parents.  These people have a super screwed up way of living (but we all knew that).

Good grief. Those pictures of Erin and Chad make my heart hurt. Every time. Like when I watch certain movies. That one not quite so much as the postbaby one but dang.  I think this is one of those Bates things where we can all see the actual real emotion and we just want it to win out over the cult crap. Time will tell.

And then I think about her being around Gothard and I am so grossed out. I hope to hell that he stayed away from them...maybe because the Bates were gaining notoriety or something. Because the thought of her sitting and confessing/trusting that lecherous old slimeball is just repellent. Or him touching her hair. Ew.

In the episode in which they talked about courtships, Zach & Whitney confessed they kissed before getting married, but Cherin proudly said they waited. No word about Alyssa & John. I bet they kissed, too, but didn't want to admit that in front of the cameras. 

theysokissedbeforemarriage.thumb.jpg.418719f2fc27e8cfa21792f20e50a200.jpg

Ha! I agree. I've said all along they kissed before marriage. They have never ever said that they waited, and if they did, it would've been said. Props to them, really. They have paved their own way without being disrespectful to their upbrining.

4 hours ago, Ursula said:

Eh, I don't know.  When the heck would they have had time to fornicate while being watched like a hawk by the many (many, many, many) eyes of the Bates family?  Sneaking in a relatively chaste kiss (I doubt they ever had hot and heavy make out sessions before they said their "i dos") would be easy enough but finding the time and place to get away for a sexy times session would be much more difficult.

Either way it's absolute balls that a grown ass man of 24 or 25 (however old Zach was at engagement/marriage) felt so guilt ridden at kissing the woman he's now married to before rings were on the fingers that he had to confess it to his parents.  These people have a super screwed up way of living (but we all knew that).

Agreed that none of the now married kids would have had any chance at all to do the deed (or a make out session) before marriage.  A simple kiss, yes, but more?  I highly doubt it too given how much they were watched by their family members.   They had zero privacy in terms of having a place or the time to do it. 

And totally agree that Zach apologizing to his parent for kissing his future wife, of all people, before marriage is all kinds of screwed up.   Normally he wouldn't be apologizing to anybody (least of all his parents) for doing anything, with anybody before marriage.   I can't imagine how ridiculous Whitney, as young as she is, saw this.   Given her more mainstream upbringing, I think it's a safe bet that she kissed other guys before Zach and thought nothing of it.   But she loves Zach, wants to marry him and went along for his sake.  Frankly I suspect the girl goes through a lot of nonsense to appease her nutty, overinvolved in-laws for his sake.   Let's give this couple another ten years when Zach graduates from watching Pooh Bear to other more worldly things and see how fundie they are then.   I suspect Whitney is expanding her husband's limited horizons and she's got some work to do.

I often suspected Alyssa and John kissed before marriage based on the above picture from their wedding day and fact they have not gone on record proudly saying they waited, like Cherin.   And Cherin's first kiss pictures were all kinds of awkward but I fully expected Erin in particular to have been the right proper fundie girl and followed her parents' expectations for courtship to the letter.

Here's the list of episodes that Up Network is showing:

Upcoming episodes

Meet the Bates

12/31/15 - 09:00am Gil and Kelly Bates, and their 19 kids, are buzzing about the latest addition to their family; the first Bates grandchild! As the girls prepare to throw a huge baby shower to celebrate, Alyssa gives the family some surprising news of her own and an accident leaves the family shaken.

Courtship & Marriage

12/31/15 - 10:01am Erin invites her siblings over for a sleepover to help ease the transition from a full house to living with only her new husband, Chad. Zach and Whitney get real about becoming parents and Michaella pays a surprise visit to her beau, Brandon, in Texas, with a chaperone in tow.

Bates Go Wild

12/31/15 - 10:34am The whole Bates clan packs up and heads to the great outdoors! If you think packing for your family is hard... try packing for 21! Not everyone loves being in the wild and the entire family has different ideas about what 'roughing it' really means.

Training Up Bates

12/31/15 - 11:04am The younger kids get a lesson on 'Train Up,' the Bates' method for discipline, and Gil and Kelly take 11 of them shopping for the ultimate test! Erin takes a trip to the doctor hoping for some good news.

Nashville Son

12/31/15 - 11:36am Budding gospel country singer/songwriter Lawson Bates heads to Nashville to meet with a record label executive and a vocal coach, while Kelly, Gil and the younger kids start planting a fall garden. But with so many people offering their opinions, the task doesn't go as seamlessly as Kelly thinks so she calls for back up.

Welcome Grandbaby Bates

12/31/15 - 12:08pm Zach and Whitney's baby is due in less than 2 weeks, but the nursery is nowhere near ready! Lucky for them, there are plenty of Bates to lend a hand. As Whitney's due-date nears (and passes!) the whole family gets anxious to meet the newest addition to the ever-growing clan. Later, Erin shares surprising news with her parents.

The Purity Ring

12/31/15 - 01:09pm Carlin gets a night out alone with her parents and they have a special surprise for her. Later, the Bates family visits Zach and Whitney as they adjust to being first-time parents. Then, Lawson sings the National Anthem in front of 15,000 people.

Michaella and Brandon

12/31/15 - 01:41pm Brandon comes for an extended stay. Could his visit could mean bigger things for Michaella and him?

A Big Bates Thanksgiving

12/31/15 - 02:13pm Get ready to give thanks... Bates style! The whole family heads to Gil's parents' farm for a super-sized family dinner. The family joins hands to say what they're thankful for. Someone reveals a surprise.

The Bates Go to Florida

12/31/15 - 03:14pm The family hits the road to visit Alyssa and John in Florida

All Together Again

12/31/15 - 03:48pm In the season 2 premiere, the family celebrates their special tradition, 'I Love You Day,' with surprise gifts (and surprise guests) for the whole family. Gil and Kelly Jo host a special 'game night' just for the couples and everyone joins together to prepare for Alyssa's baby shower!

Future In Laws?

12/31/15 - 04:49pm Gil, Kelly Jo and Michael head to Chicago to see Brandon's parents. Brandon corners Gil for a 'heart to heart' talk in the most unlikely of places! Meanwhile, back in Tennessee, Erin and the kids rush to redecorate their parent's bedroom before Gil and Kelly Jo get back.

High Risk, High Hopes

12/31/15 - 05:22pm Erin and Chad meet with Dr. Vick to discuss the risk of having a stillbirth and the precautions they must take for the rest of her pregnancy. Later, the couple invites Zach, Whitney and baby Bradley over for dinner while the older boys square off against the younger ones in a giant Airsoft battle!

Meema Moves In

12/31/15 - 05:54pm Gil and Kelly Jo take Trace and Josie to the orthodontist to get braces, and Gil reveals how he can afford orthodontia for so many kids. Later, Kelly Jo's mother Meema announces that she wants to live closer to the kids. So Kelly Jo takes her house hunting, but the task proves tougher than anyone could have imagined.

Blessings... and New Beginnings?

12/31/15 - 06:26pm With Erin and Chad's due date looming, the whole family gathers for their baby shower. Erin's friend Kelsey comes for the occasion and helps put together a sentimental surprise that leaves Erin speechless. Nathan and Lawson's friends from New York, Ashley and Anastasia, also visit and the kids have fun showing these city folk a real country adventure!

Brandon Pops The Question

12/31/15 - 06:58pm The Bates celebrate two joyous occasions in a special episode! First, Gil and Kelly Jo fly to Florida to see Alyssa and John and welcome their new granddaughter, Allie Jane, to the world. Then, a few days later, they're off to Washington, DC, where Brandon plans to propose to Michael using an elaborate scavenger hunt that will have her trekking all over the city!

Best Bates Moments

12/31/15 - 08:00pm In this one hour special we meet the lucky winner of the 'Be the 20th Bates' contest and highlight their day with the Bates family! We'll also be counting down the very best moments of the past year and get an exclusive look at the upcoming season.

Doctor's Orders

12/31/15 - 09:00pm Erin has been experiencing early contractions, so she and Chad rush to their doctor, to find out what's wrong. Meanwhile, Michael and Brandon discover how stressful it can be to plan a wedding long distance via video chat.

Life Lessons

12/31/15 - 09:30pm How do the Bates educate 19 kids on their own? Kelly Jo takes us inside her schoolroom and shows us the tricks to homeschooling so many children, all at different grade levels. Meanwhile, Tori continues her education at Crown College and Nathan takes to the skies in flight school.

Erin's Little Miracle

12/31/15 - 10:00pm Erin and Chad have their final appointment with Dr. Vick and anxiously await the arrival of their baby. Since the delivery is a high-risk procedure, the family is on pins and needles, hoping and praying that all goes well.

Best Bates Moments

12/31/15 - 11:00pm In this one hour special we meet the lucky winner of the 'Be the 20th Bates' contest and highlight their day with the Bates family! We'll also be counting down the very best moments of the past year and get an exclusive look at the upcoming season.

The Wedding To-Do List

01/01/16 - 12:00am Michael and Brandon meet with a wedding planner to go over all the details of their upcoming nuptials. Meanwhile, Lawson learns he has to have his wisdom teeth removed and gets very nervous about the impending surgery.

Boating with the Bates

01/01/16 - 12:30am It's time for the annual family lake trip! The kids waste no time jumping into the lake, swimming, boating and skiing! But what starts out as a perfect day soon turns to disaster when thunder strikes and the family has to head for the hills!

The Quest for the Dress

01/01/16 - 01:00am Michael takes Kelly Jo and her sisters into town to look for a wedding dress. But after hours and hours of searching, she gives up. None of the dresses are right. The wedding is only 2 months away and Michael is starting to get nervous!

Addee & Ellie's Pool Party!

01/01/16 - 01:30am When you have 19 kids, it's hard to spend one-on-one time with any of them. But it's not impossible. Kelly makes a point to spend the day with Trace, while Gil and Josie take off for a father/daughter adventure. Afterward, the whole family gathers together as Addee and Ellie celebrate their birthdays with a joint swim party!

Hello Dollywood!

01/01/16 - 02:00am Lawson gets the opportunity of a lifetime - to perform at the world famous 'Dollywood,' in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. While he does his sound check on stage, the rest of the family enjoys the theme park and keeps an eye out for Dolly herself!

Best Bates Moments

01/04/16 - 02:00am In this one hour special we meet the lucky winner of the 'Be the 20th Bates' contest and highlight their day with the Bates family! We'll also be counting down the very best moments of the past year and get an exclusive look at the upcoming season.

Best Bates Moments

01/04/16 - 08:00pm In this one hour special we meet the lucky winner of the 'Be the 20th Bates' contest and highlight their day with the Bates family! We'll also be counting down the very best moments of the past year and get an exclusive look at the upcoming season.

Erin's Little Miracle

01/07/16 - 08:00pm Erin and Chad have their final appointment with Dr. Vick and anxiously await the arrival of their baby. Since the delivery is a high-risk procedure, the family is on pins and needles, hoping and praying that all goes well.

Best Bates Moments

01/07/16 - 10:00pm In this one hour special we meet the lucky winner of the 'Be the 20th Bates' contest and highlight their day with the Bates family! We'll also be counting down the very best moments of the past year and get an exclusive look at the upcoming season.

Erin's Little Miracle

01/11/16 - 08:00pm Erin and Chad have their final appointment with Dr. Vick and anxiously await the arrival of their baby. Since the delivery is a high-risk procedure, the family is on pins and needles, hoping and praying that all goes well.

Just wanted to share - i know there's been some discussion of whether Nathan is interested in Anastasia or Ashley (not sure if it was on this thread or the jinger thread tho) - we knew Ashley was visiting the duggars with Nathan for Xmas but these comments on sierras Instagram confirm that it was just Ashley visiting - no Anastasia! (bronxnewyorkheart is Ashley's insta name, obocella is Anastasia) 

image.png

This comment on one of Ashley's Instagram pics of herself from one of her friends pretty much confirms the courtship for me:

Capture.JPG

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived