IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds Part 2

happy atheist

As much as I want to scoff at Jessa for getting a little SocalityBarbie about her coffee habit...

I love that you mention SocalityBarbie. It's always good for a chuckle at modern personal branding.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/22/2015 at 11:27 AM, Screamapillar said:

I think her bangs are cute, but would be cuter if she chopped her hair off to shoulder length. Every time I've ever cut bangs I've regretted it about 24 hours later, so I'm jealous of anyone that can pull it off. I've always found maintaining decent looking bangs to require Herculean effort.

But the more pressing matter: Jessa and Ben have been hanging out with a Christian rapper called Flame. I may have to research Christian Rap now, because this is a genre I never knew existed.

JC Talk 'I Love Rap Music' Approximately 20 years old. You're welcome :happy-jumpgreen:

3 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

JC Talk 'I Love Rap Music' Approximately 20 years old. You're welcome :happy-jumpgreen:

Like the 90's rap beat! I have listened to Christian Dance music like G Powered. 

12 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

You have my sympathy.  Have you tried those mug warmer coaster things?  They don't work for me because there is so much milk in my coffee (and keeping it warm for hours is not good) but I know people who find them a great help,

My husband makes more coffee than we drink usually (or he'd drink it all but he leaves for work before he gets the chance) so I usually just add another ounce of hot to rewarm it. Or I give up and move on!

On 12/22/2015 at 6:45 PM, MakeItSo said:

JLo insured her butt back in the day...so I would assume your statement is correct, @artdecades

Tina Turner had her legs insured too.   The one in the 40's might have been Betty Grable. 

@MoonFace,  it was Betty Grable.  The studio had her legs insured for $1 million  as a publicity stunt.  I don't know if she was under contract to RKO or Paramount at the time.

On 1/8/2016 at 8:30 PM, EmCatlyn said:

I feel for you!  Being separated from "real" coffee is always hard when I travel.

I went through college with an "illegal" hot plate in my dorm room for the specific purpose of brewing my morning espresso.  Back then there were no Starbucks, and coffee in the US was often a robusta bean percolator swill.  The only way to get "my" coffee (what I'd drunk with milk at home from childhood) was to make it myself.  It was a great thing when the espresso pots came out in single size a couple of years before I went to college. 

An espresso pot is not that expensive.  And the best tip I have for the coffee, if you are not going to grind it yourself, is to divide the ground coffee into smaller portions which you keep tightly sealed in a dark place, opening only one small container (ziplock bags work) at a time. That way the coffee stays fresher.

If I make coffee in the mornings (which I usually don't do, because more sleep), it is instant... Uck. Or I make do with whats made in the office. But I can't wait to move home, and be able to get decent coffee...! I should do the ziplock bag thing, because my decent coffee gets ruinied too fast :(

13 hours ago, Pianokeeper said:

Neither of my parents (both Brazilian immigrants) were hugely into coffee, but when I was little, we always had the Brazilian "cafezinho" set available for SERIOUSLY strong teeny coffees; otherwise, I'm confident no family member would ever have visited us in the USA again!  I don't know what you'd call them here, but the traditional Brazilian pots are double-chambered and invariably weirdly pointy.

As much as I want to scoff at Jessa for getting a little SocalityBarbie about her coffee habit... If I had an Instagram I suspect I'd be just as terrible about my tea obsession.  To each her own...

Are you talking about something like this?

Cafezinho Cafezinho

According to this Guia do Cafezinho, the typical Brazilian coffee is made by the classic drip method involving a kettle and some sort of sieve/filter system.  The guide also includes examples of other coffee makers, including the espresso coffee maker.

Cuban coffee was made by the drip/filter method until the stovetop espresso pots became popular.  My great aunt used to talk about how much easier the espresso pot was.

14 hours ago, Pianokeeper said:

As much as I want to scoff at Jessa for getting a little SocalityBarbie about her coffee habit... If I had an Instagram I suspect I'd be just as terrible about my tea obsession.  To each her own...

Oh yes. This. I would be an insufferable instagram tea snob; best to spare the world all that :my_biggrin:

On 1/6/2016 at 10:38 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

I know you mean Ben's ass like "get your ass over here", but I totally pictured Ben interviewing a rapper by doing the whole "my butt can talk" thing from Ace Ventura.

Too bad. I would have watched that and then tried to convert the heathens in the same manner.

Am I the only one here who was #blessablocked in her latest rash of banning on Instagram late last week? It appears she went through the follower lists of FJ and/or Famy Friday and blocked away. I know this is what happened, based on FamyFriday's own post and my own banning. I never post on Jessa's page or any other fundie that I follow, so it wasn't anything I said. 

Anyone else?

8 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Am I the only one here who was #blessablocked in her latest rash of banning on Instagram late last week? It appears she went through the follower lists of FJ and/or Famy Friday and blocked away. I know this is what happened, based on FamyFriday's own post and my own banning. I never post on Jessa's page or any other fundie that I follow, so it wasn't anything I said. 

Anyone else?

How can you tell if you're blocked? I know next nothing about instagram and I only follow fj and a friend of mine.

On 1/9/2016 at 5:43 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Are you talking about something like this?

Cafezinho Cafezinho

More like this:  http://pt.wikihow.com/Usar-uma-Cafeteira-Italiana

Although it looks like it's called an "Italian coffeepot" in Portuguese -- but then my family's from the south of Brazil, where there are a ton of descendants of Italian immigrants, so I guess that influences matters!

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Anyone else?

She hasn't blocked me, and I follow her and Famy Friday, though I've never commented on either one.

45 minutes ago, Pianokeeper said:

More like this:  http://pt.wikihow.com/Usar-uma-Cafeteira-Italiana

Although it looks like it's called an "Italian coffeepot" in Portuguese -- but then my family's from the south of Brazil, where there are a ton of descendants of Italian immigrants, so I guess that influences matters!

That is indeed Italian.  It is an espresso stove-top coffee pot, the very thing I have been describing with love (or is it lust?):my_heart:  We call it an Italian coffee, but we make "Cuban coffee" with it.

I know nothing about Italian immigration to Brazil, but I can tell you that the stove-top espresso pot was invented in Italy around 1940 and marketed around the world after WWII.  It was an adaptation of the method used by the big espresso machines that had been invented (also in Italy) towards the end of the 19th century.  This machine spread to Spain, parts of France and many Latin American countries. It is associated with urban centers which were welcoming to what could be called "cafe culture." 

When the stovetop espresso machine became available, many people thought it made better (less bitter and stronger) coffee than the traditional drip method which, apparently, was popular in Brazil as well as in the Caribbean countries I lived in as a child.

I will say here that I do not like black coffee. For me the appeal of espresso is that it flavors hot milk so well.  :kitty-wink:

As for tea, I like it plain (no sugar or milk) though some varieties go well with lemon.

I think we need a coffee/teacup emoticon for when we don't want beer. :my_biggrin:

On 1/9/2016 at 4:16 PM, Thorns said:

If I make coffee in the mornings (which I usually don't do, because more sleep), it is instant... Uck. Or I make do with whats made in the office. But I can't wait to move home, and be able to get decent coffee...! I should do the ziplock bag thing, because my decent coffee gets ruinied too fast :(

I know it's a controversial subject when it comes to coffee, but you sound like you should consider a Keurig.  90 seconds to brew a cup.

(I have a hand me down one from my cousin, and I would have paid full price for the thing.  I do use a refillable cup instead of the individual pods).

41 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I know it's a controversial subject when it comes to coffee, but you sound like you should consider a Keurig.  90 seconds to brew a cup.

(I have a hand me down one from my cousin, and I would have paid full price for the thing.  I do use a refillable cup instead of the individual pods).

What about a nesspreso? I am more than happy with mine

@EmCatlyn,  I am just the opposite about my coffee although I suspect that I was allowed to drink coffee when I was a very small child as a way to get some milk into me.  It's said about several things, but Once you go black, you'll never go back.

2 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@EmCatlyn,  I am just the opposite about my coffee although I suspect that I was allowed to drink coffee when I was a very small child as a way to get some milk into me.  It's said about several things, but Once you go black, you'll never go back.

I didn't start drinking coffee until I was 23, and I decided that I'd start at black with absolutely nothing in it (not even Splenda) and then figure out what sort of extras to put in based on my taste. A year later, I take my coffee blacker than my soul. I like a flat white or a latte every so often as a treat, but my average morning coffee is just straight-up black coffee. No sugar, no milk, no nothing.

9 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

How can you tell if you're blocked? I know next nothing about instagram and I only follow fj and a friend of mine.

I am taking a course next month about instagram - I can tell you then :D

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

It is just a matter of preference.  I have drunk black coffee (good espresso and good "American" coffee) with or without sugar, and I just don't care for it.  In my case, having it with milk from the time I was a child has made the "cafe con leche"/latte the "right" coffee.

I wish I could like black coffee.  Sometimes it is the most available and convenient.  At hotels, for example, the availability of fresh milk and the ability to heat it in your room is limited-to-non-existent.). I will drink it if I must (I won't drink powdered creamer), but not by preference.

My impassioned defense of hot lattes notwithstanding, I do realize that there are many different ways to make coffee... from cold brew to hot espresso, with different beans and roasts and grinds, with cream or milk, with brown or white sugar ... And, of course, with or without booze.

<Visualize coffee cup emoji here.>

:kitty-wink:

@EmCatlyn, there's been quite a discussion going on at Houzz for a few months about the best way(s) to brew coffee.  About the only way that's had no defenders is vacuum brew and that's probably because it is so uncommon.  I'd like to have a vacuum brew set-up one of these days.  Vacuum brew pots used to be rather common and electric ones at that.  Kitchen-Aid has started making one, but it get less than stellar reviews on Williams-Sonoma's website.  I think I saw one in a local antique shop locally and I regularly look for them in old movies and TV shows.  I spied on on the McAfees kitchen counter on Bye, Bye, Birdie last evening, there was one on the kitchen counter in the original version of Father of the Bride (scene in the kitchen with Spencer Tracy and Carleton Carpenter) and the most famous scene is in Spence's kitchen where Katharine Hepburn is trying to make breakfast in Woman of the Year.  She totally doesn't know how the pot works and it boils over.  I've even spied on on the Cleaver's counter in some episodes of Leave It to Beaver.

ETA: Coffee is definitely a case of "Different strokes for different folks."

How much of a concept do you think Izzy has of who he's looking at? I'm not super familiar with kids his age, but that expression is priceless! It's like he's watching a magic trick or something.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived