IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds Part 2

happy atheist

3 hours ago, habert said:

Jessa just posted a cold brew coffee recipe video on Instagram. It really feels like an advertisement, but she doesn't mention a brand or anything. 

I don't think it's an ad. This is how I make my cold brew coffee (though I use a French press). It's really good, especially if you serve it with condensed milk to make it like Cuban, Thai, or Vietnamese coffee. You can also add other spices to the grounds to make the flavor more complex.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think The Spurge is adorable!  He is starting to resemble Israel and JB more now that he is a little older.  It is weird, but I can't really tell that he looks like Jessa, but he must since he looks like JB.  

She mentions the brand in the comments. Toddy from Amazon. $40.00. Never realized there were machines for making cold brew. We just used filters and cheesecloth. Kinda want one  . . . 

Jessa is savvy - I wonder if she mentions brands in HOPES of getting sponsorship because she likes free stuff?

4 hours ago, Mela99 said:

She mentions the brand in the comments. Toddy from Amazon. $40.00. Never realized there were machines for making cold brew. We just used filters and cheesecloth. Kinda want one  . . . 

she is starting to want things for free

who am I kidding - now she is just being obvious Kardashian about it 

5 hours ago, Mela99 said:

It's not a machine, just a set up, with a filter. 

All I do for cold brew coffee is soak 1/3 cup of grounds to 1 1/2 cup cold water for 12 hours, then strain with a cheesecloth. Who would need a machine for something so simple?

I just brew a large pot of regular coffee, cool it down and store it in a pitcher in the fridge.  Faster than 12 hours.

28 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I just brew a large pot of regular coffee, cool it down and store it in a pitcher in the fridge.  Faster than 12 hours.

Tell me that this is for iced coffee.   I am no fan of iced coffee but I can understand it.  

Warmed up cold coffee I cannot :my_huh: understand. 

Coffee Is best hot, freshly brewed, from Arabica beans roasted recently and ground not too long ago.  You can make it with a French press, or following the French drip method or use an autochef if you can find one.   But the best coffee is espresso:my_heart:   At home, I make mine on a little stovetop espresso pot. It takes me less than five minutes to brew.  I drink it with hot milk (cafe con leche aka latte).  Ahhhh.... Joy.

Warmed up coffee is never the same.

:soapbox:

51 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Tell me that this is for iced coffee.   I am no fan of iced coffee but I can understand it.  

Coffee Is best hot, freshly brewed, from Arabica beans roasted recently and ground not too long ago.  You can make it with a French press, or following the French drip method or use an autochef if you can find one.   But the best coffee is espresso:my_heart:   At home, I make mine on a little stovetop espresso pot. It takes me less than five minutes to brew.  I drink it with hot milk (cafe con leche aka latte).  Ahhhh.... Joy.

I agree.  I make cold brewed in summer since I'm drinking iced.  You can make it very concentrated and serve in hot milk, add hot water but I like the taste both ways and it's easier to brew fresh if I want hot.

ok, this is terribly immature but jenni Hartono, your middle name may start with s but adding it in only makes your name jenni shart ono.  I can't not see it in this IG posts.

11 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Oh my, sounds like heaven! I live in a tiny, rural village, with no proper coffee in sight. And since I'm only staying here for a couple of months, I run to the nearest town every chance I get - and ALWAYS buy an espresso. Or a latte. I haven't quite managed to get around to getting a proper espresso pot, and in retrospect, I should have had one months ago. Oh, those little touches of civilisation!

13 minutes ago, Thorns said:

Oh my, sounds like heaven! I live in a tiny, rural village, with no proper coffee in sight. And since I'm only staying here for a couple of months, I run to the nearest town every chance I get - and ALWAYS buy an espresso. Or a latte. I haven't quite managed to get around to getting a proper espresso pot, and in retrospect, I should have had one months ago. Oh, those little touches of civilisation!

I feel for you!  Being separated from "real" coffee is always hard when I travel.

I went through college with an "illegal" hot plate in my dorm room for the specific purpose of brewing my morning espresso.  Back then there were no Starbucks, and coffee in the US was often a robusta bean percolator swill.  The only way to get "my" coffee (what I'd drunk with milk at home from childhood) was to make it myself.  It was a great thing when the espresso pots came out in single size a couple of years before I went to college. 

An espresso pot is not that expensive.  And the best tip I have for the coffee, if you are not going to grind it yourself, is to divide the ground coffee into smaller portions which you keep tightly sealed in a dark place, opening only one small container (ziplock bags work) at a time. That way the coffee stays fresher.

13 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Same here. I grew up making it that way (we call the pot a "greca") and to this day I still can't figure out how to make regular coffee in those electric pots. It's always a disaster.

10 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Same here. I grew up making it that way (we call the pot a "greca") and to this day I still can't figure out how to make regular coffee in those electric pots. It's always a disaster.

My husband has this too... he roasts his own beans as well (sometimes, not always). We don't actually own a typical coffee pot.. 

30 minutes ago, lascuba said:

We just called it a "cafetera" though I have heard it called a "greca" or even a "grequita."

I can use the electric espresso maker and have one at work that steams the milk, etc. But they are more bother than just boiling the milk and then making the coffee.  

18 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

All I do for cold brew coffee is soak 1/3 cup of grounds to 1 1/2 cup cold water for 12 hours, then strain with a cheesecloth. Who would need a machine for something so simple?

I get cold coffee by having two 4 year olds. I take one sip while it's super hot, then get distracted by a million things and by my next sip it's freezing cold.

Unfortunately, there are few things I find more nasty than cold coffee!!! Iced coffee I will never understand.

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

I get cold coffee by having two 4 year olds. I take one sip while it's super hot, then get distracted by a million things and by my next sip it's freezing cold.

Unfortunately, there are few things I find more nasty than cold coffee!!! Iced coffee I will never understand.

I can't do coffee that was hot that has become cold... It's disgusting. Cold Brewed coffee however doesn't have that bitter taste

2 hours ago, twinmama said:

You have my sympathy.  Have you tried those mug warmer coaster things?  They don't work for me because there is so much milk in my coffee (and keeping it warm for hours is not good) but I know people who find them a great help,

My sister in laws make the best coffee powder and send us home with pounds of it, vacuum packed when we visit Sri Lanka. It's then made like Turkish coffee. 

For cold, I prefer a French press with ground coffee. 

Yeah. Cold brewed coffee is absolutely not the same thing as just letting your coffee get cold/putting regularly brewed coffee in the fridge to cool. Waay different.

That said, I prefer my coffee warm. We have a french press and a stove-top espresso pot (two, actually, in different sizes). I am never buying one of those electric coffee makers. Bleh.

Neither of my parents (both Brazilian immigrants) were hugely into coffee, but when I was little, we always had the Brazilian "cafezinho" set available for SERIOUSLY strong teeny coffees; otherwise, I'm confident no family member would ever have visited us in the USA again!  I don't know what you'd call them here, but the traditional Brazilian pots are double-chambered and invariably weirdly pointy.

As much as I want to scoff at Jessa for getting a little SocalityBarbie about her coffee habit... If I had an Instagram I suspect I'd be just as terrible about my tea obsession.  To each her own...

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived