IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon - Those Smug Seewalds Part 2

happy atheist

1 hour ago, missegeno said:

How much of a concept do you think Izzy has of who he's looking at? I'm not super familiar with kids his age, but that expression is priceless! It's like he's watching a magic trick or something.

Babies get that excited seeing themselves in a mirror.   To them this is magical. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, missegeno said:

How much of a concept do you think Izzy has of who he's looking at? I'm not super familiar with kids his age, but that expression is priceless! It's like he's watching a magic trick or something.

We have a little granddaughter the same age as Izzy  (they live across the country :( ) and we Facetime with her about 2x a week.  Just recently she has begun to know who we are and gets REALLY SUPER EXCITED when her mommy says "Should we call Grandma and Grandpa?"   

So I do think Izzy is just starting to understand who he's talking to - not that he can articulate it very well, if at all, but it does seem like magic to him I'd guess.  At least he knows it's another baby with a mommy and daddy that he's seen before. 

Our granddaughter tries to hand us her toys through the screen and will take things out of a toy box to show us... so cute.  Also will wave, try to kiss the screen, etc.  I am sure she is confused about why she can't physically TOUCH us but it's the next best thing to being there.   I am hoping when we see her in a few months that she will remember us better since we've done the video chats.  

Plus it's the only screen time she is allowed and like most babies she LOVES the phone and so it's also like watching a movie to her.  

1 hour ago, notfundy said:

We have a little granddaughter the same age as Izzy  (they live across the country :( ) and we Facetime with her about 2x a week.  Just recently she has begun to know who we are and gets REALLY SUPER EXCITED when her mommy says "Should we call Grandma and Grandpa?"   

So I do think Izzy is just starting to understand who he's talking to - not that he can articulate it very well, if at all, but it does seem like magic to him I'd guess.  At least he knows it's another baby with a mommy and daddy that he's seen before. 

Our granddaughter tries to hand us her toys through the screen and will take things out of a toy box to show us... so cute.  Also will wave, try to kiss the screen, etc.  I am sure she is confused about why she can't physically TOUCH us but it's the next best thing to being there.   I am hoping when we see her in a few months that she will remember us better since we've done the video chats.  

Plus it's the only screen time she is allowed and like most babies she LOVES the phone and so it's also like watching a movie to her.  

She totally will! That's how I talk to some of my nieces and they definitely remember me better because they're used to seeing/talking to me. I love facetime. 

9 minutes ago, Emme said:

She totally will! That's how I talk to some of my nieces and they definitely remember me better because they're used to seeing/talking to me. I love facetime. 

It definitely helps!!! We did this with my mom, and DS knew exactly who she was and was instantly comfortable with her when she'd visit. Probably even more so than my MIL who lives here.

Call me cynical but I think they only reason they are face timing and posting it on Instagram or wherever is for attention and hope it leads to the show coming back. I don't believe for a minute that Jessa and Jill are so close that they face time. Jessa and Jinger I could understand. This is more of let's film the sisters as they start their new lives as wives and moms. Why isn't Jill face timing or ever talking about talking eith her other siblings? Suddenly Jessa and Jill are BFFs and therefore deserve their own show. 

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@EmCatlyn, there's been quite a discussion going on at Houzz for a few months about the best way(s) to brew coffee.  About the only way that's had no defenders is vacuum brew and that's probably because it is so uncommon.  I'd like to have a vacuum brew set-up one of these days.  Vacuum brew pots used to be rather common and electric ones at that.  Kitchen-Aid has started making one, but it get less than stellar reviews on Williams-Sonoma's website.  I think I saw one in a local antique shop locally and I regularly look for them in old movies and TV shows.  I spied on on the McAfees kitchen counter on Bye, Bye, Birdie last evening, there was one on the kitchen counter in the original version of Father of the Bride (scene in the kitchen with Spencer Tracy and Carleton Carpenter) and the most famous scene is in Spence's kitchen where Katharine Hepburn is trying to make breakfast in Woman of the Year.  She totally doesn't know how the pot works and it boils over.  I've even spied on on the Cleaver's counter in some episodes of Leave It to Beaver.

ETA: Coffee is definitely a case of "Different strokes for different folks."

I have seen vacuum brewers in the past, but have no personal experience with them.  You must be a fan if you are watching for them in the movies.  :kitty-wink:

I am happy with my espresso but support other people's right to make coffee their way.  (I do shudder at warmed up coffee, powdered creamer [aka "coffee paint"] and percolators, but I try to be tolerant.)

I do not know what vacuum brew is and will have to check it out. Warmed up coffee works for me, but fresh is better of course. 

Call me cynical but I think they only reason they are face timing and posting it on Instagram or wherever is for attention and hope it leads to the show coming back. I don't believe for a minute that Jessa and Jill are so close that they face time. Jessa and Jinger I could understand. This is more of let's film the sisters as they start their new lives as wives and moms. Why isn't Jill face timing or ever talking about talking eith her other siblings? Suddenly Jessa and Jill are BFFs and therefore deserve their own show. 

Oh I completely agree. I think it's super cute with the babies, but it's also totally check on the list for "look how close our family is and remember we have babies - you can't say anything bad about this pic because babies."

But I'm used to that from them. This pic is actually really adorable and made me smile because Izzy looks so amazed, much better than the pics of him screaming his swaddled head off.

52 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I do not know what vacuum brew is and will have to check it out. Warmed up coffee works for me, but fresh is better of course. 

I first  learned about vacuum brewing from the Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr.  He talked about it in his cookbook.  The coffee is supposed to be excellent -piping hot and flavorful.  it's also a lot of fun to watch it brew.  The water boils and evaporates into the upper chamber of the pot, condenses over the grounds and once the water has all boiled out of the lower chamber, the vacuum in the lower chamber pulls the brewed coffee back into the lower chamber with a great WHOOSH!!

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

I first  learned about vacuum brewing from the Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr.  He talked about it in his cookbook.  The coffee is supposed to be excellent -piping hot and flavorful.  it's also a lot of fun to watch it brew.  The water boils and evaporates into the upper chamber of the pot, condenses over the grounds and once the water has all boiled out of the lower chamber, the vacuum in the lower chamber pulls the brewed coffee back into the lower chamber with a great WHOOSH!!

I looked it up on Amazon.......hard to quite imagine and then wikipedia. This sounds a bit like science fiction. I have never heard of it. I love a cup with just a nice pour over. Nothin like a great cup of coffee. 

Sorry to disrupt the coffee thread, tea drinker here.

Just want to say, that however many times I look at his name, I just can't get my head around Spurgeon. I thought I might get used to it, but no. Poor little Spurge. :sad-pacing:

44 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Sorry to disrupt the coffee thread, tea drinker here.

Just want to say, that however many times I look at his name, I just can't get my head around Spurgeon. I thought I might get used to it, but no. Poor little Spurge. :sad-pacing:

I still can't handle the name either.

My first thought when hearing it was "Oh god that kid is going to get so made fun of in school." But then I remembered that he'll undoubtedly be home schooled. Considering who's doing the schooling though, I think he'll still get bullied.

5 hours ago, missegeno said:

I really hope his and Spurgeon's relationship is always summed up by their expressions in that picture: "OMG YAYZ THIS IS SO COOL ISN'T IT SPURGEON OL BUDDY" "...please stop talking."

6 hours ago, Archer said:

Babies face-timing other babies...what a time to be alive.

ft.jpg

They are super cute! I love Izzy's smile and Spud's cheeks. Such an adorable picture.

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I really hope his and Spurgeon's relationship is always summed up by their expressions in that picture: "OMG YAYZ THIS IS SO COOL ISN'T IT SPURGEON OL BUDDY" "...please stop talking."

That perfectly sums up my impression of Jill and Jessa's relationship. Or Jill's relationship with any of peers, really. :pb_lol:

On 1/7/2016 at 8:45 AM, HereticHick said:

I assume that they stay with the Duggars during breaks from PCC. IIRC correctly, Jennifer H has graduated, but appears to be staying on campus as some sort of dorm  resident advisor, or similar.

what is PCC?

How could we possibly know whether or not Jill and Jessa are close enough to Facetime? We don't know them. We have very little idea what their relationship is like. But the fact that they're sisters and that they both have young babies would tend to lead me to believe that they would keep in touch on a fairly regular basis. 

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

How could we possibly know whether or not Jill and Jessa are close enough to Facetime? We don't know them. We have very little idea what their relationship is like. But the fact that they're sisters and that they both have young babies would tend to lead me to believe that they would keep in touch on a fairly regular basis. 

I would think so. Plus even if they didn't necessarily get along as kids, they are now the two who have their own children and their own marriages and houses (somewhat) so that's something that might make them bond.

Sure, even if Jill and Jessa weren't close as kids they're adults now and in similar "seasons of life" :roll:.  Plus they had the joy of being the public faces of Josh's "teenage mistakes," and I would assume they would have leaned on each other during that time.  I'd be more surprised if they weren't close enough to facetime.  Of course, having to post pics of it on instagram is a whole different matter.  

24 minutes ago, AbandonAllHope said:

Of course, having to post pics of it on instagram is a whole different matter.  

This is why the whole thing comes off as less than genuine to me. It's not for me to say if they're actually close or not, even if they don't show a lot of signs of it outwardly when they interact on camera. Some people just aren't demonstrative.

That said, the way they portray their relationship often comes off as rather staged, like posting on social media about their family's private interactions or Jill putting an "open letter" to Jessa on the internet rather than writing directly to her. Most people who are legitimately close just have a relationship rather than making an effort to demonstrate their closeness to their perceived audience.

They may have a great sisterly relationship behind closed doors. What they do share publicly, though... often comes off as trying a bit too hard.

On 1/11/2016 at 0:26 AM, marmalade said:

Am I the only one here who was #blessablocked in her latest rash of banning on Instagram late last week? It appears she went through the follower lists of FJ and/or Famy Friday and blocked away. I know this is what happened, based on FamyFriday's own post and my own banning. I never post on Jessa's page or any other fundie that I follow, so it wasn't anything I said. 

Anyone else?

I follow FJ and FamyFriday and I'm not blocked yet.

On 1/11/2016 at 0:47 PM, missegeno said:

He probably sees himself on the screen. Babies love that.

Is anyone else as shocked as I am that there hasn't been another pregnancy announcement? Izzy is what, 10 months? Not that I'm complaining. I think it's great that they may actually have decent spacing between babies. I wonder if the traumatic deliveries have made them consider using nfp to not have a million kids. One can hope.

15 minutes ago, Full enough quiver said:

Is anyone else as shocked as I am that there hasn't been another pregnancy announcement? Izzy is what, 10 months? Not that I'm complaining. I think it's great that they may actually have decent spacing between babies. I wonder if the traumatic deliveries have made them consider using nfp to not have a million kids. One can hope.

Between Jill breastfeeding c/section and Derricks surgery and what ever the hell is wrong with him. They probably aren't having much sex Derrick. Seriously how much energy can Derrick have? He's starting to look like a walking skeleton. I would think after spending the day speaking bad Spanish and coming home to deal with ding dong and Izzy sex is the last thing on his mind. 

With the backlash she recieved the first time, it's not like she is going to announce at 1 month. And izzi is only 9 months, it is nit that easy to have a baby so soon. Being lucky one time dpesn't mean crazy fertility

Am I the only one that thinks Spud is a more annoying nickname then Spurge? At least Spurge makes me laugh. 

Count me as one of those people who think Jill and Jessa are close for the cameras only. Sure, they're in the same season of life, *cringe* but those two in particular have never looked close. I still remember how much it seemed like Jill tried to hog the spotlight at Jessa's wedding.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived