IGNORED

Jill and Jessa Duggar Special Sunday Dec 13 - Merge

HerNameIsBuffy

I believe Josh and Anna sidehugged after she accepted his proposal, so I think they had the same courtship rules that the girls did.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

In the article it said 

"While Derick and I were engaged, Miss Cathy was in the hospital going through cancer treatments. Now it's a joyous season, with her grandson and just getting to share in that," says Jill, 24. "

Miss Cathy? That's what a 4 year old calls her pre-school  teacher, not her mother-in-law! I would have hoped she moved into Mom or at least Cathy by now.

Is that a southern thing I'm not aware of?

Yes, it is a Southern thing.  It could also be Mama Cathy, but never just Cathy.  "Mrs Dillard" is too formal, but first name is disrespectful for a person of an older generation.  Of course, not everyone does it this way.  The educated professional family is more likely to use first names, some women ask their DILs to call them Mom, etc.. But among country/ working-class, lower-middle class and/ or old fashioned people, I hear a lot of Miss Sue, and Mama Sue for MIL.

1 hour ago, missegeno said:

I think side hugs as a courtship restriction was [at least shown as] Jessa's suggestion. If I remember right, it's in the episode where she and Ben were interrogated by the humpers about boundaries when they started courting.

I always thought Jessa just wanted the bragging rights for her extra righteous courtship.

because ben was going to have trouble keeping things above board if he was allowed to *gasp* front hug jessa. let's just say he would've had some majestic pearls of his own... in his pants.

52 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I believe Josh and Anna sidehugged after she accepted his proposal, so I think they had the same courtship rules that the girls did.

Yea, I don't know where anyone got the idea that Anna and Josh ever front hugged.  JB and Michelle side hug their own kids for crying out loud.  Does anyone actually think they'd be on board with Josh front hugging before marriage?  This practice definitely predates Jessa and Ben.

Josh and Anna acknowledged on the show that they didn't stick to side hugs when they were discussing either Jessa or Jill's engagement.

Not that it's not weird that Josh and Anna side hugged when they first got engaged, but that was also literally the first time they'd ever touched.

Josh and Anna acknowledged on the show that they didn't stick to side hugs when they were discussing either Jessa or Jill's engagement.

Not that it's not weird that Josh and Anna side hugged when they first got engaged, but that was also literally the first time they'd ever touched.

Holy hell.

5 hours ago, Mrsaztx said:

Re: Jill's Nike-tactic yoga pants (the scandal!) does anyone remember the episode, I think it was just before she had her baby, when she and Derrick went to get pedicures? It's jumped out at me because she was sitting in the pedi chair with her skirt sitting above her knees and her knees were blurred. I just felt that was such utter stupidity because what pedi place doesn't give you a towel for modesty when you're wearing a skirt of you want one, and also obviously she was fine with everyone in there seeing her knees, including the male nail techs, but they had to blur them for tv. Seemed stupid and contrived to me, and got me thinking she has been sneaking away from the fundy dress code a bit 

They blurred her knees? Seriously? FFS. I think at this point if I were an editor on that show I would blur random crap just for shits and giggles and see if anyone notices. Blur out a collar bone. A neck. Someone's entire torso. 

Blur out that entire golf course fiasco.

3 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

These fine young people agree with you!

:pb_lol: :pb_lol: :pb_lol:

That's it. Fundie rapping (though a girl in pants!!!). The world can end now. We can't go on from here.

Also won't that song/beat lead to dancing and stir up some desires that cannot be righteously fulfilled?

I stick by my comments that everyone seemed to be fake crying. I actually thought in contrast to most people's opinions that Jinger's crying was the fakest of them all. I can't believe I have to spell this out but I don't mean they are not sad on some level. I just don't think those particular tears during their special was genuine. Everything was forced and coached to me. Everything perfectly planned for this special to evoke sympathy from the wider audience. 

I thought Joy seemed pretty genuine. She didn't say all that much that I remember but there wasn't a single shot of her where she didn't have tear trails on her cheeks. I think she probably is one of the more confused by the whole situation and potential family pressure put on her to keep sweet for the benefit of younger children who don't really understand what's going on.

ETA: clarifying that I only mean in her talking heads. I'm sure there are candid shots of her somewhere where she looks fine, I'm sure she's not constantly crying. I do think she finds it genuinely upsetting to talk about the family/Josh's situation, though.

On 12/18/2015 at 7:25 PM, SilverBeach said:

Now that's a good way to deal with it. I've not seen too many unfortunate looking babies, so it surprises me when I do but  gush about something anyway. I don't want the mom to feel badly.

I always used that word "unfortunate" when describing not so cute babies and children. I just can't bring myself to call a child or baby "ugly". But I think most babies and children are pretty cute in general. I have only ran into a few "unfortunate" looking babies in my lifetime. 

18 hours ago, karen77 said:

http://www.people.com/article/jessa-jill-counting-on-jessa-duggar-sad

Why don't I believe her for one hot second?

i agree i don't believe her at all!

Doesn't anyone else think it is strange that Jill still calls her MIL Ms. Cathy??? To me that is very informal. Once you get married isn't your spouses family your family?? When I got married to Mr. Dirt i refer to his mother as mom or just called her by her 1st name.

I am surprised the show wasn't 3 hours long!  They spoke so slowly.  I found the program boring.  I really don't think they should be "healing" on a silly TV show.  I believe it was Joseph that made the best point about the fact that their family puts themselves out there so of course, people will talk and have opinions.  

14 hours ago, Cerealgirl said:

THEY BLURRED HER KNEES? BAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh you must not have seen the episode where the family waterskis and Mullet is wearing that modesty bathing suit. She actually had the BLACK sensor bar (usually reserved for tits and dongs) and had them bar her knees. It is the stupidest shit imaginable. 

I will NEVER understand (and never accept, where it directly affects me) why younger people should show special respect/reverence/whatever to their elders. I respect everyone, because fellow humans deserve respect, unless and until they show me that they do not deserve it. But I am not about to dole out special respect to anyone on account of them having been born a long time ago. I don't care what Jill calls her mother-in-law (though it does sound weirdly distant to me), but I absolutely dislike and disagree with what it stands for.

Why is it always the South with these strange things like "Miss - " or "grand babies?" :pb_lol:

It would drive me insane if my daughter in law called me "Miss" anything. She has a first name.

17 hours ago, Mothership said:

Haven't decided whether I"m going to watch the second special.  I think I've had enough and in any case, I need to get some knitting projects finished.  Knitting needles are a dangerous thing when watching these people--I might react to quickly and use one to put my eye out.

I had to unknit around 250 stitches after watching the first special. But I reknitted them and completed that project, so as long as I stick to dish cloths, I should be able to watch the other specials.

29 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Why is it always the South with these strange things like "Miss - " or "grand babies?" :pb_lol:

It would drive me insane if my daughter in law called me "Miss" anything. She has a first name.

Every region has their quirks, it seems. When I moved to Wisconsin, some of the things that were kind of different for me, for example were the phrases "Yous guys," "bubbler" (which is a drinking fountain), "dem," "dat," "der," as well as public intoxication at every social event is to be expected (and is often encouraged). Not to mention watery chili which is filled in with macaroni noodles - this could be a national thing for all I know, but I'd never ever had chili like that before. The other thing that was new to me was at parties when everyone would bring a dish - where I grew up, we'd bring a dish and just leave the leftovers at the hosts' home - in Wisconsin everyone starts packing up their food or unopened bottles of wine/beer and takes them back home with them.

I'm not saying any of this is bad, but it's just different when that's not what you're used to. Again, some of these things could be national, and I just didn't notice them until I moved to Wisconsin. For example, I've heard quite a few people in Wisco say "grand babies" instead of grandchildren/grandkids. I've also seen plenty of drunk people at public events in other places I've lived too, but it's also quietly looked down on ("Poor Jim just doesn't know when to cut it off") versus expected. 

14 hours ago, Cerealgirl said: THEY BLURRED HER KNEES? BAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh you must not have seen the episode where the family waterskis and Mullet is wearing that modesty bathing suit. She actually had the BLACK sensor bar (usually reserved for tits and dongs) and had them bar her knees. It is the stupidest shit imaginable. 

Wtf? Then what's the point of the modesty swim suit?

2 hours ago, NotAnIncubator said:

Gotta make sure you don't cause all the knee-fetishists to stumble, because knees are so incredibly boner-inducing. (On a side note, I remember when the Rebelution "modesty survey" went down and everyone was saying what a great idea it was until they realized that a bunch of backward-ass guys had said that women shouldn't have bare feet around men, because reasons, and none of us knew that fetishes were a thing. I'd be willing to bet they developed a foot fetish because it's the only part of a woman they'd ever seen. The self-righteous guy that pushed it for discussion amongst our small group of home church kids is now 24 with kids and living in his parents' home alongside his brother's family, parents and his grandmother... thank God I didn't end up there)

@Othello they said that they didnt have any modesty standards for the feet so its highly likely. Not just them but internet foot lovers can peep at their naked feet. So defrauding.

The "Miss" thing isn't just for people who are your elders. I worked for a finance company in South Carolina in my early 20s and my female boss would used it with all the women in the office. 

5 hours ago, JillyO said:

I will NEVER understand (and never accept, where it directly affects me) why younger people should show special respect/reverence/whatever to their elders. I respect everyone, because fellow humans deserve respect, unless and until they show me that they do not deserve it. But I am not about to dole out special respect to anyone on account of them having been born a long time ago. I don't care what Jill calls her mother-in-law (though it does sound weirdly distant to me), but I absolutely dislike and disagree with what it stands for.

A friend of mine says that we must "earn" respect but that we are all entitled to courtesy.

I consider it courtesy to address people the way they wish to be addressed, and to follow the customs of the area in which you live.  Some people call that respect.

The most boring show ever! Seriously these fools need jobs. I don't care if Josh cheated. Deal with that in private. What I do care about is Josh molesting his siblings but they turn a blind eye to that.

20 hours ago, mebeforee said:

Really? I don't remember that happening. What episode was that in?

I do remember that Jill and Derrick didn't stick to it. But not Josh and Anna.

Archived