IGNORED

Lina Is Now Officially Engaged

longskirts

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She says she'll be having two weddings: one within a month, and one in a year. I'm confused. Why is she getting married twice?

Maybe she's having a civil wedding and a "Jewish" wedding.

Maybe she's having a civil wedding and a "Jewish" wedding.

I think she's rethinking the whole "no touching" thing, and this is the way to get around it. She and Love have been touching like wild animals :roll: for two years, and suddenly they have to stay hands off. A year is a long time not to hold hands while watching movies.

A quickie, legal thing so they can touch again and have the sex. Then, time to 'save' for the big wedding her parents probably aren't all that interested in paying for.

I'm also wondering if what she's postponing is the civil wedding because her parents would rather she didn't get "officially" married straight away.

A quickie, legal thing so they can touch again and have the sex. Then, time to 'save' for the big wedding her parents probably aren't all that interested in paying for.

That seems very...hypocritical of Lina. Most of my religious friends wouldn't consider themselves truly married until they were married in the Church by a priest. It just seems that it is hypocritical to try to cheat the rules like this when she's "OMGZ! we totally follow all the rulz!" but they're going to put everyone through a huge ass wedding when they're already, hello, been married for a year? Why not just have a smaller religious wedding soon and call it a deal?

I doubt she'll ever get around to the second wedding. After a year, what's the point. It's just a waste of money to throw a big redundant party that nobody will be really interested in. And she'll probably be pregnant or have a baby then too. She'll seem pretty foolish. But when has she ever cared about that before?

Maybe she's read up on how in Jewish weddings, the betrothal ceremony and marriage ceremony used to be done months apart. Of course, things haven't been done that way in hundreds of years and both are done at the same time now. Or maybe they are getting a civil marriage first so she can go on his health insurance.

"if you simply must know the details", as if tons of people are hounding her for the story and she's finally decided to give in. :roll:

Maybe they are not yet welcome within a Jewish, or even fake Jewish, community yet but they don't want to wait until that happens? Get married now, in some heathen legal way or even Christian way, and later, after they've completed their 'conversion' they'll have a Jewish wedding? I can't imagine they'd be able to do a full Jewish wedding, in a Synagogue, in the very near future. I could be wrong, of course, and I know a lot of people are welcome to have their weddings in churches even if they're not members or practicing any specific brand of Christianity, but I thought Judaism is a little more strict in the weddings allowed in their Synagogue?

Maybe they are not yet welcome within a Jewish, or even fake Jewish, community yet but they don't want to wait until that happens? Get married now, in some heathen legal way or even Christian way, and later, after they've completed their 'conversion' they'll have a Jewish wedding? I can't imagine they'd be able to do a full Jewish wedding, in a Synagogue, in the very near future. I could be wrong, of course, and I know a lot of people are welcome to have their weddings in churches even if they're not members or practicing any specific brand of Christianity, but I thought Judaism is a little more strict in the weddings allowed in their Synagogue?

Jewish weddings definitely don't have to be preformed in a synagogue. However, maybe they are having trouble finding somebody to marry them. The odd thing is that if they are trying to do this orthodox conversion, any orthodox rabbi worth his salt would make them move apart until they had a Jewish wedding, at least by my understanding. So even if they do the civil wedding just to get the nookie, they'll just have to give it up again if they want to have a Jewish wedding. Is that right, anybody who knows more than me?

Jewish weddings definitely don't have to be preformed in a synagogue. However, maybe they are having trouble finding somebody to marry them. The odd thing is that if they are trying to do this orthodox conversion, any orthodox rabbi worth his salt would make them move apart until they had a Jewish wedding, at least by my understanding. So even if they do the civil wedding just to get the nookie, they'll just have to give it up again if they want to have a Jewish wedding. Is that right, anybody who knows more than me?

that's how I see it too, they won't be converted now, so they get married and re-married when they convert. So that they convert as a couple.

Well maybe finally having fun we'll make her see things differently... :lol:

Maybe a "betrothal" type thing and then a more "normal" wedding?

Haven't we heard about another fundy doing it this way? It makes the betrothal harder to break, as well.

The odd thing is that if they are trying to do this orthodox conversion, any orthodox rabbi worth his salt would make them move apart until they had a Jewish wedding, at least by my understanding.

Having friends who have been in that scenario, I think it only happens if one partner is Jewish and the other one isn't, the reason being that according to traditional Jewish law, you can't have a valid marriage between a Jew and a non-Jew. Since Anthony's not Jewish (so far as we know, but you know that if he was, we would have heard all about it by now) and neither is Lina, that's not an issue for them. I know of a number of couples who have converted together under Orthodox auspices, and I don't believe any of them were forced to move apart if both were non-Jews to begin with. I assume that they'd have to get married in a Jewish ceremony after the conversion was complete, but that's not difficult to time in such a way that the enforced separation would be relatively minimal.

If one's Jewish and the other's not, though, then you have to split up for the duration of the conversion- and both spouses have to become observant to Orthodox standards, so if the Jewish partner drags their feet or doesn't want to be Orthodox, no Orthodox conversion, unless you get a divorce or something. The couple I knew moved into different bedrooms in the same house, but had to take on house guests. Personally, stuff like this is one of a number of reasons why I opted against Orthodox conversion.

As for Lina, whatever. She's been carrying on about how they're engaged since before she shut down her blog. I think the two weddings are just a bid to wring as much attention out of this as she possibly can.

I don't know very much about Lina, but I'd like to as I find her facinating, in an odd very strange way.

What is her background and story. I read here that her parents are not fundies, yet she is too the extreme. How and why did she convert?

Thank you for your help in understanding this rare bird.

I still want to know why LOVE is called Taliban Tony....and am too lazy to slog through back posts. I find her fascinating, but not fascinating enough to actually read her blog. *I feel this way about a ton of bloggers; I am grateful to the FJrs who read all the drivel and report back the best/worst, so I don't have to read McKmama or Candy or ZsuZsu or Lina. I come here.

Ok, so I read her "The Proposal" tab...TT didn't actually put the ring on her finger when he proposed because they cannot touch. He asked her to put the ring on. Now, as a woman living in sin with her man of 11 years this seems very odd to me, even amongst fundies. Doesn't a proposal kinda miss something if the woman puts her own ring on? Didn't Smuggar even touch Anna when he proposed? Anybody know of any other fundies couples that were this anti-touch?

Actually having 2 weddings is not that peculiar. In many countries, couples have a civil wedding first, and then a big religious wedding if they want to. It's like that in France, so my family was kind of expecting a bigger wedding after my tiny courthouse one (there was none). However, Lina is in the US, she is not in Europe, so I admit it is very rarely seen in North America: your wedding is the day you sign the paper, and that's it. Unless of course you want to have a "vowel removal" on your anniversary.

Well, there was the one who had her father put the ring on because her fiance wasn't allowed to touch her.

Yep, that was Kristina.

Also, it isn't that odd in ultra-orthodox circles - they really don't touch members of the opposite sex who are not close family members (some won't even touch a cousin - I know. Weird). So it makes sense in Lina-world, even though they've already touched. For Lina and TT I guess it's sort of equivalent to regular folks who have had sex before marriage but then abstain for a month or more before the wedding.

Guest Anonymous
I still want to know why LOVE is called Taliban Tony....and am too lazy to slog through back posts. I find her fascinating, but not fascinating enough to actually read her blog. *I feel this way about a ton of bloggers; I am grateful to the FJrs who read all the drivel and report back the best/worst, so I don't have to read McKmama or Candy or ZsuZsu or Lina. I come here.

Hey, Angri-la, twin2 answered that one for you in the last Lina post. (No snark, just copying it over since it seems it was missed.)

He's called Taliban Tony for this little pearl of wisdom he left on Lina's blog:

I have no idea what she sees in this guy.

I bet Anthony's devastated after reading that blog post. Lina gets to be a "kallah," but Anthony doesn't get to be a "chassan"; instead, he's merely her "fiancé." How dull that must be for a fake Jew!

Well, there was the one who had her father put the ring on because her fiance wasn't allowed to touch her.

The grand event was held at Arby's no less. Can't get a much more romantic proposal than that can you? :shock:

Archived