IGNORED

Lina Is Now Officially Engaged

longskirts

Oh, my laziness deserves snark! I asked the question and then couldn't find the thread for the answer! Often I read on my work phone, bet the quiverful owner would love that, and can't seem to get past the first page! Appreciate the answer and tolerance. A well deserved nickname! Lawd.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I don't understand -- she had been saying for weeks that the wedding was "just around the corner" and was sort of implying it was already planned/in the works. Do her parents not know this? Why would you begin planning a wedding when you aren't engaged?

I'm so confused..... Lina is confounding.

Here's what I don't understand -- she had been saying for weeks that the wedding was "just around the corner" and was sort of implying it was already planned/in the works. Do her parents not know this? Why would you begin planning a wedding when you aren't engaged?

I'm so confused..... Lina is confounding.

Yeah, I've never understood women who plan their weddings before they have a ring. I think Lina and TT were "engaged to be engaged" so maybe she knew it was a pretty sure thing? Still.

However, basically every girl in my family except for me has had her wedding planned from age 15 or so (I'm talking making actual plans, not just daydreaming). I find it insane but people do do this.

However, basically every girl in my family except for me has had her wedding planned from age 15 or so (I'm talking making actual plans, not just daydreaming). I find it insane but people do do this.

I never thought about my wedding. It was my husband who had all the big plans and didn't get to use them xD

I was wondering about Lina's two weddings too. And it sounds like she practically knew it all beforehand...

I gotta say, having your father put on your engagement ring is a big EW to me. lol

I never thought about my wedding. It was my husband who had all the big plans and didn't get to use them xD

Rainey-- haha!!! Me too!! I DID really want to get married-- we'd been dating a LONG time but what tipped the scales for him proposing was the prospect of planning a beautiful honeymoon. And he certainly did -- We went to Langkawi, Malaysia. It was the most beautiful end of nowhere.... perfect. :)

Jewish weddings definitely don't have to be preformed in a synagogue. However, maybe they are having trouble finding somebody to marry them. The odd thing is that if they are trying to do this orthodox conversion, any orthodox rabbi worth his salt would make them move apart until they had a Jewish wedding, at least by my understanding. So even if they do the civil wedding just to get the nookie, they'll just have to give it up again if they want to have a Jewish wedding. Is that right, anybody who knows more than me?

I haven't heard that rabbis require an already married couple to live apart for a year. Even the ridiculously strict (and, now defunct - Ithink) Eternal Jewish Family conversion program only required couples who were unmarried & living together to live separately for a year, but would convert already married couples living together.

Regardless, I have a feeling that Lina's wish for an orthodox wedding has something to do with the year-long wait b/t weddings (the first being a civil ceremony). Hopefully, b/t those 2 weddings the rabbi she's working with will figure out her game plan & quash her dreams for a Jewish wedding. She really makes me want to vomit.

I haven't read Lina's blog since she made it public again, so I thought I'd venture over there.

Gad! This girl really really really pisses me off!!! Pretty much everything about her annoys me. I should stop reading, but I just can't. What a freaking hypocrite! She & TT decided not to touch until marriage, except to caress & hold hands? What? She didn't want to give away her heart until marriage, but said 'I love you' to him when she first saw him in person? I'm pretty sure what she's doing is not remotely Christian courting at all...or being shomer negiah (no touching). Just pick a religion & stick to it, or say outright that your choosing whichever portions of religions suit you (I'm not against that).

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest! I'd tell her this myself, but she'd just ban me from her blog.

I am constantly surprised by how much she really doesn't know about Judaism. Granted, she's a fake Jew, but what is she really learning in all her studying?

She started talking about 6 months ago about how she and Tony want to complete an Orthodox conversion. I went back and checked out some of her links to find where she got this idea--apparently there's another Messianic Jew out there who managed to study intensely with a Orthodox rabbi for the two (or more) years it takes to convert without letting him know he was really a fake Jew. How? The rabbi never came out and asked him if he was a Christian (fake Jew), so it's okay to just not tell the rabbi!

Sorry, but it's as much of a lie to lead someone on about something (lie by omission) as it is to tell someone something false (lie by commission).

And now, back to the Orthodox conversion thing. In her post on prayer about a week ago--she just found out now that that women aren't required to pray three times a day like a man is? How has she not yet discovered the line, "Hashem, I thank you for not making me a woman?" Oh--it's because she's not studying Orthodox Judaism, she's studying how to say Yeshua's name right and the prettiest ways to wear scarves on her head.

(Women aren't required to pray at set times because when you're busy taking care of kids, you can't just say, Stop! Prayer time! The "thank you for not making me a woman" line is from a prayer--I've been told it means, "If I were a woman, I wouldn't be able to pray to you as much as I do." Only Orthodox Jews say this line of prayer! The majority of Judaism is egalitarian.)

She is totally having the wedding in a month just so they can touch, because they can't bear to stop their fervent handholding.

I am constantly surprised by how much she really doesn't know about Judaism. Granted, she's a fake Jew, but what is she really learning in all her studying?

She started talking about 6 months ago about how she and Tony want to complete an Orthodox conversion. I went back and checked out some of her links to find where she got this idea--apparently there's another Messianic Jew out there who managed to study intensely with a Orthodox rabbi for the two (or more) years it takes to convert without letting him know he was really a fake Jew. How? The rabbi never came out and asked him if he was a Christian (fake Jew), so it's okay to just not tell the rabbi!

Sorry, but it's as much of a lie to lead someone on about something (lie by omission) as it is to tell someone something false (lie by commission).

And now, back to the Orthodox conversion thing. In her post on prayer about a week ago--she just found out now that that women aren't required to pray three times a day like a man is? How has she not yet discovered the line, "Hashem, I thank you for not making me a woman?" Oh--it's because she's not studying Orthodox Judaism, she's studying how to say Yeshua's name right and the prettiest ways to wear scarves on her head.

(Women aren't required to pray at set times because when you're busy taking care of kids, you can't just say, Stop! Prayer time! The "thank you for not making me a woman" line is from a prayer--I've been told it means, "If I were a woman, I wouldn't be able to pray to you as much as I do." Only Orthodox Jews say this line of prayer! The majority of Judaism is egalitarian.)

I'm always startled by how ignorant of Judaism fake Jews really are. I'm reminded of one of the Lina wannabes, Jamie, who didn't know the difference between Askhenazic and Sephardic Jews and thought Purim involved fasting. It's not that hard to get hold of this kind of info, these days. Actually it's not just ignorance, it's a profound lack of interest for anything beyond a bunch of Hebrew words and the trappings of the holidays and tziniut. As someone who's been fascinated by Jewish culture all her life, I find this attitude very frustrating.

...especially since tzniut standards prohibit women from wearing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo.

Just requoting for awesomeness.

I agree that for someone who goes on and on (and on) about how many Orthodox sites and books she reads, Lina doesn't seem to much of anything about anything. Her interpretations of pretty basic concepts are all over the map, she's missing basic stuff like the details about women and time-bound mitzvot but obsessing over headscarves when she's not even married... it's both frustrating and bizarre to me.

Lina may want to be Orthodox but at the heart of it, she's still Messianic. Which means, she does not (and will never) follow all of Orthodox Judaism correctly. Not because she doesn't know but because she thinks she knows better. If something doesn't fit into the Messianic mold, she will ignore it entirely or publicly rebuke it.

Actually having 2 weddings is not that peculiar. In many countries, couples have a civil wedding first, and then a big religious wedding if they want to. It's like that in France, so my family was kind of expecting a bigger wedding after my tiny courthouse one (there was none). However, Lina is in the US, she is not in Europe, so I admit it is very rarely seen in North America: your wedding is the day you sign the paper, and that's it. Unless of course you want to have a "vowel removal" on your anniversary.

it's on the same day! Not a year later! and this is like that in France because every religious officer is bound by law to wait for a civil ceremony to take place before celebrating a wedding!

The only comparing thing I can think of, is in some muslim countries where they do a religious wedding first that's similar to an engagement. The groom can then hang out in the house and the mom isn't required to cover her hair. A couple month later there is the big full wedding ceremony and that's when they consumate.

It does not seem like they will wait for the second ceremony to consumate...

It does not seem like they will wait for the second ceremony to consumate...

Hah, are you kidding??

Won't it look odd to have a baby or a noticable bump at the Big Fat Fake Jewish Wedding?

Snark aside, I really hope we're wrong about Taliban Tony. I'm thankful that at least she has a sensible sounding family to fall back on if it all goes tits up, and that she's staying in the same city as them.

Hah, are you kidding??

Won't it look odd to have a baby or a noticable bump at the Big Fat Fake Jewish Wedding?

There's actually a part of me wondering whether it was Lina's idea to have a quickie, secular wedding first, or whether Tony there got tired of waiting and suggested (demanded?) it. I haven't gone over to her blog, because it invariably gets my blood pressure up. Honestly, I usually find Fisheaters easier reading, and that's saying something.

There's actually a part of me wondering whether it was Lina's idea to have a quickie, secular wedding first, or whether Tony there got tired of waiting and suggested (demanded?) it.

The whole deal seems odd to me. If marriage is so important to you, then surely you would want to have the religious ceremony before consummating? It was suggested upthread that the small civil ceremony might represent an official "betrothal", with no nookie after, but I think if this were the case she would have said so (no point doing the right thing if nobody knows). They seem like the kind who would want to do things "properly" and be married in the sight of "Yah" before sexing, so getting the quickie marriage so they can abandon the shomer negiah thing seems out of character.

So I can see why you think that TT might have wanted things speeded up. Lina's descriptions of him don't ring true with his words and actions. Like I said, I hope we're wrong about him :(

She is totally having the wedding in a month just so they can touch, because they can't bear to stop their fervent handholding.

I wonder if they're having handsex like Smuggar and Anna.

I'm always startled by how ignorant of Judaism fake Jews really are. I'm reminded of one of the Lina wannabes, Jamie, who didn't know the difference between Askhenazic and Sephardic Jews and thought Purim involved fasting. It's not that hard to get hold of this kind of info, these days. Actually it's not just ignorance, it's a profound lack of interest for anything beyond a bunch of Hebrew words and the trappings of the holidays and tziniut. As someone who's been fascinated by Jewish culture all her life, I find this attitude very frustrating.

can you share some links about that? I want to see this in action. those wacky messianics.

From Jamie's blog "Purim is a fast day, right'"

jamiesbloggerblog.blogspot.com/search?q=purim

This same Jamie once asked Lina what was the difference between Askhenazic and Sephardic Jews in a comment, I can't find the link now.

The Dixons also apparently start the Shabbat by blowing the shofar, isn't that only for kippur?

dixonhomestead.com/rachel/?p=6743

Those are the most glaring examples. I've also yet to find a Messianic who shows some interest for secular Jewish culture, or for anything not specifically related to ritual and prayer that's not Fiddler on the Roof. I'm assuming I.B. Singer's already off limits.

From Jamie's blog "Purim is a fast day, right'"

jamiesbloggerblog.blogspot.com/search?q=purim

This same Jamie once asked Lina what was the difference between Askhenazic and Sephardic Jews in a comment, I can't find the link now.

The Dixons also apparently start the Shabbat by blowing the shofar, isn't that only for kippur?

dixonhomestead.com/rachel/?p=6743

Those are the most glaring examples. I've also yet to find a Messianic who shows some interest for secular Jewish culture, or for anything not specifically related to ritual and prayer that's not Fiddler on the Roof. I'm assuming I.B. Singer's already off limits

They're also generally oblivious to the idea that, say, even in ultra-Orthodox circles women work so presumably that can't be such a big abomination.

Archived