IGNORED

Jill & Jessa specials coming - MERGED

quiversR4hunting

I don't think they'll have trouble getting people to watch, hate watching or otherwise. I mean, haven't their facebook likes gone up since Joshgate 1? I'd imagine a significant portion of that is morbid curiosity. I mean, I think a lot of people hadn't even heard of the Duggars until the scandal, which, unfortunately for them, was the most famous they've been.

I think what they WILL have trouble doing, is getting advertisers to sponsor this. Hopefully.

Let's all put pressure on advertisers, y'all.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I challenge each of you to go to TLC.com and go to the little red button on the bottom right that says FEEDBACK and tell TLC that you don't want to see this show because the Duggars are all grifters and that you will not support sponsors of the show.

Think it will do any good?

Ok, I challenge each of you to go to TLC.com and go to the little red button on the bottom right that says FEEDBACK and tell TLC that you don't want to see this show because the Duggars are all grifters and that you will not support sponsors of the show.

TLC did not listen until everyone but Lowe's dropped their advertising on 19 Kids. That's where it hurts.

TLC probably counts your feedback as an indication you'll hatewatch, LOL.

I did it the minute they announced it. I doubt it will do anything. They probably see it as interest. However if they get overwhelming disapproval and can't get sponsors, then it's a good thing. I am hoping!!

@VelociRapture: IMPRESSIVE Gift of Tongues you have, with that translation. :)

Late to the party (no cable for 12+months), but can someone help me understand the "language school" stuff for our putative missionaries?

There's this neat-o thingie called "Rosetta Stone", which runs about $300 and comes in both Spanish (European?) and Spanish (Latin America) versions....Won't take care of local/indigenous dialects, but might actually work in the SOTDRT. Or are learning programs that AREN'T Biblically-based forbidden to Weal and Twoo0 fundies :?

I did it the minute they announced it. I doubt it will do anything. They probably see it as interest. However if they get overwhelming disapproval and can't get sponsors, then it's a good thing. I am hoping!!

I just sent them a message stating my reasons for opposing the specials and informing them their channel and any sponsors will be boycotted by my family if they air the specials. Probably won't do any good whatsoever, but at least I feel better. :lol:

@VelociRapture: IMPRESSIVE Gift of Tongues you have, with that translation. :)

Late to the party (no cable for 12+months), but can someone help me understand the "language school" stuff for our putative missionaries?

There's this neat-o thingie called "Rosetta Stone", which runs about $300 and comes in both Spanish (European?) and Spanish (Latin America) versions....Won't take care of local/indigenous dialects, but might actually work in the SOTDRT. Or are learning programs that AREN'T Biblically-based forbidden to Weal and Twoo0 fundies :?

I'm sure the "language school" is run and operated by converted natives and very much geared to learning the fundie speak, but in spanish. Supposedly Jill had been practically fluent in Spanish prior to all this.

Anyway, duolingo is fun and free! I am learning German.

The ratings will be through the roof. The AM scandal especially will have people who've never even watched 19KAC tuning in.

I could see people tuning in at the first episode to get a quick look. But really, the Duggars become so boring after a short while. And Jill and Jessa alone will be even more boring. And those who loved them because of their "wholesome" image probably aren't fans after Joshgate 2.0 anymore.

So I don't think their ratings will stay high for long.

I predict big ratings. The 19KAC fan base had to have been made up almost entirely of snark watchers. Very few people truly found the Duggar clan inspiring. It did well in the ratings, but so did Honey Boo Boo and clearly no one found that inspiring. It's ratings were due 100% to it's snark factor.

If / when they come back, I wonder how they will keep Josh's face out of the intro. Maybe they will use baby pictures for each "kid", which would be a good leeway into showing off the grandkids.

If/when they come back, the smart thing will be to acknowledge Josh as the troubled one that they pray for and then move on. He can be in old family pictures where he is not conspicuous.

If they act as if he never existed, it will be that much harder to get him out of people's minds than if they mention him in passing and act like any family with a black sheep-- don't want discuss this, but we love him in spite of everything, etc.

ETA -- To the question about whether the proposed special mean that there are no more surprises expected from Josh, I think that it doesn't matter what more Josh does because he won't be connected with the show. The reason 19k and Counting was cancelled was not so much what Josh did as that the family had concealed it.

I predict big ratings. The 19KAC fan base had to have been made up almost entirely of snark watchers. Very few people truly found the Duggar clan inspiring. It did well in the ratings, but so did Honey Boo Boo and clearly no one found that inspiring. It's ratings were due 100% to it's snark factor.

My fundie parents and their friends watched. They would gather around with all the kids and stuff.

Now they see the sin in the camp. It's possible they will hate watch, but unlikely.

Ratings will be out of this world LARGE! The scandals have made the Duggars more well known than ever before. They trended for WEEKS when scandals 1 & 2 came out. The world will be watching out of curiosity and also to see if they address Josh. TLC is bringing them back to gain financially and Jessa & Jill will most likely be pocketing $40k per episode. After the Jessa & Jill specials get good ratings, TLC will grant them an official television show series. I bet that very soon, TLC will televise a Duggar courtship and use that as an opportunity to ease Jim Bob and Michelle back on the show during it. I am honestly really surprised that there isn't a petition going around about trying to get TLC to cancel the Jessa & Jill specials or any petitions about boycotting the sponsors of them :pink-shock: .

I (gulp) "watched" the TLC sexual abuse special. I had to turn away from Jessa and Jill both smiling as they discussed this decidedly unfunny topic. And Jchelle sitting there looking all vacuous, why was she even there? So no more viewing for me, it made me stabby.

I am not at all surprised. I predicted this back when Joshie-gate first broke. First their toe dipped in with a couple of specials, then gradually a few more.....

I don't think the "kids" will see a lot of money. I think JimBoob will be listed as "Executive Producer" and take most of the money. Each couple will probably see 5-10k per episode, and Boob will take the rest.

If it is any consolation, the special TLC aired about molestation featuring Jill and Jessa fared poorly in the ratings, not even making it to the top 100. The ratings of the new specials will tell the tale. If only the hard-core supporters tune in the ratings should be pretty low. But that begs the question of whether TLC with stick with the Duggars even through low ratings. I get the feeling that the whole "specials" story is a bone thrown to the hard-right supporters of the Duggars. Whether the parent company, Discovery Communications, will accept keeping the Duggars on despite low ratings is interesting to contemplate.

The molestation special was going up against the VMAs and I think a sporting event? Also in the 9pm time slot. I'm surprised anyone tuned in, honestly. TLC didn't really try to get good ratings for that special. If anything, they tried to make sure no one would watch it.

I'm interested in whether TLC or Discovery Communications, or both, want the Duggars back on TV. Who honestly had the balls to green light the Jill/Jessa special?

I (gulp) "watched" the TLC sexual abuse special. I had to turn away from Jessa and Jill both smiling as they discussed this decidedly unfunny topic. And Jchelle sitting there looking all vacuous, why was she even there? So no more viewing for me, it made me stabby.

Stabby is putting it mildly. I will come here to discuss it but I won't be watching, not even hate-watching. Is anyone going to buy the act, the big happy family, the amazing parenting job anymore? Especially from two cult members that threw their own sisters under the bus to protect the family image? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

I am afraid that there is a chance that I may possibly watch :shifty-kitty: .

I feel very conflicted about Jill and Jessa. I don't like that they downplayed their molestation; however, they were still the victims. I feel like "blaming" them for downplaying their abuse is not that much better then "blaming" them for the abuse itself. It still feels like victim blaming to me. Victims have all sorts of complicated emotions and so their responses may be complicated as well.

What kills me is the huge opportunity that was missed. This was a chance for the family to say: This is the harm in being taught all sexual encounters (even if they just are thoughts you have) are evil. Given such a strict black and white view teenagers will have no reference for the fact that having a sexual thought, acting on it with a consenting partner, and acting on it with a non-consenting partner are completely different things. What Josh did was wrong and he needs to take responsibility for it. However, we feel that in some ways it was because of the way he was raised, not in spite of it.

I really wish the girls could be strong enough to take a stand and use their experience to prevent others from being hurt as well. However, they are still victims I do think their priority needs to be doing what needs to be done for them to heal. After all, they were the ones who were abused.

I feel very conflicted about Jill and Jessa. I don't like that they downplayed their molestation; however, they were still the victims. I feel like "blaming" them for downplaying their abuse is not that much better then "blaming" them for the abuse itself. It still feels like victim blaming to me. Victims have all sorts of complicated emotions and so their responses may be complicated as well.

What kills me is the huge opportunity that was missed. This was a chance for the family to say: This is the harm in being taught all sexual encounters (even if they just are thoughts you have) are evil. Given such a strict black and white view teenagers will have no reference for the fact that having a sexual thought, acting on it with a consenting partner, and acting on it with a non-consenting partner are completely different things. What Josh did was wrong and he needs to take responsibility for it. However, we feel that in some ways it was because of the way he was raised, not in spite of it.

I really wish the girls could be strong enough to take a stand and use their experience to prevent others from being hurt as well. However, they are still victims I do think their priority needs to be doing what needs to be done for them to heal. After all, they were the ones who were abused.

They have a right to feel they want HOWEVER they are on a public platform and downplayed it on NATIONAL NEWS. THAT was a slap in the face to victims all over who think, from watching Jill and Jessa, we are just supposed to smile, forgive and forget, and move on, be happy. Victims still processing their ordeal might even be questioning if something is wrong with them because they are not being happy, giggly, and smiley like Jessa and Jill about it. In fact, they blamed the media for harming them more than Josh molesting them in the first place... Also, they don't deserve TV specials. They should go out and get jobs just like every other person. There are people, VICTIMS, out there living pay check to paycheck working their butts off to support their babies while Jessa and Jill get to just play house and promote their harmful beliefs and get paid for it. I want them to heal but I also want them to get off TV once and for all and to stop trying to be rich & famous while telling everyone how much better they are and how sinful we all are. NO.

I believe that this wouldn’t have happened so quickly if it was not for Joshgate 2. Now they can throw Josh under the bus and get the show back while everyone is thinking about Ashley Madison. like they can admit he was a bad apple all along and go skipping down the yellow brick road to the gravy train.

I will be watching it online.

Buzzard would send you some medicated gunnies if I could. they work better then zophran.

I imagine there will be a baby shower shown. Are they going to show Michelle and Anna? Theyre the ones who would probably would plan it. Then the birth, a first anniversary episode, a party celebrating Jill's midwifery, leaving for Central America, and of course a Christmas special. Imagine if some of the others start courting. We could have specials all next year!

Of course Meechelle would plan it--couldn't expect her to be up on the etiquette of friends throwing baby/bridal showers! According to Miss Manners, et al, family members planning showers are just doing an obvious gift grab. Grifters gonna grift.

Buzzard, thank you in advance.

I happily won't watch and am now SEVERELY grateful that I canned cable.

Unless you have a Nielsen box, it really doesn't matter whether you tune in. As long as enough Nielsen families tune it, TLC gets to interpret it as a success.

People will watch at first, just to see if they deal with the Josh train wreck. When they don't and it's just about babies and mission trips and unemployed young adults with a reasonable amount of children, people will get bored.

People will watch at first, just to see if they deal with the Josh train wreck. When they don't and it's just about babies and mission trips and unemployed young adults with a reasonable amount of children, people will get bored.

TLC is going to be using the specials as a "test" to see if they will give Jill and Jessa their own show... Since people will tune into those, ratings will be off the roof, so I think TLC will end up giving them a show whether people get bored in the end or not. With that, they'll be pocketing $40k an episode (specials might be even more than that). I can already imagine how Jessa and Ben will be with that happening. They are really into themselves....and will be laughing all the way to the bank $$$ :lol:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived