IGNORED

Jinger and Lawson courting?

SPHASH

Jill isn't even close to homely. If anything she just seems less fashionable than her sisters and fashion doesn't really dictate what physical beauty someone has. Idk, like I said earlier beauty is subjective but Jill and Izzy aren't hideous looking....Izzy is actually a cute baby(big eyes and chubby cheeks).

To be fair, we haven't seen what "natural" Jana looks like in years.....her seemingly meek personality helps us view her as the prettiest.

Hmm, yes. I should have phrased it that Jill is the homeliest of the bunch. Not ugly in the conventional sense, i suppose. She's beautiful in love though. I'll give her that. Just like Izzy is cute, for now anyway. I mean, who HASN'T seen at least one head-scratchingly unfortunate looking child?

I'm just a generally awful human being to snark on outward appearances. However, I'm not here for popularity or post-count, just to chime in when I can. I'm just your run-of-the-mill blunt bitch. An adult one, I might add. My verbal bitchitude is only directed at the subject matter and not any poster. This whole post feels incoherent and disjointed. Sorry. I've driven around 8 hours today and I'm pooped!

I'm so over Jill. I want Jinger to shine. (Only if she wants to.)

Ah, I see. That's the second time I've done that and I'm quite confident I would never have figured it out. Thanks!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just want to chop a few inches off their hair.

Yup! I think Jill in particular would look lovely with a medium length bob.

What bizarre alternate universe version of the Midwest do you live in where NO woman wears makeup or has long hair? :shock:

In the witness protection program, or not, so location cannot be revealed. :wink-kitty:

All I can say is.. whoa. When I first saw pics of female relatives here, I said WTF?! I WILL NOT get a KateCut, or wear a windbreaker/get a man haircut, ever. There are severe "lawnmower" (Kate/8) cuts still in vogue and I am in shock.

Yes, I moved from LOS ANGELES ... so I have a tiny clue into what is trendy. Pretty sure the Poodle Perm is not trendy, and pretty sure most locals talk about me with "that long hair after 50 ".... and you know what, if they are that bored, ok. Let them talk.

What bizarre alternate universe version of the Midwest do you live in where NO woman wears makeup or has long hair? :shock:

I am wondering this as well. I am in the midwest as well, and long hair, make-up, fake tans, real tans, fake nails/real nails, etc are all just as common here as anywhere else.

I don't think the geographic region has a big play in that, but lifestyle does. My friends who are outdoorsy or sporty tend to wear less makeup on a daily basis, but can definitely change it up for dressier events or nights on the town. My "hippie" friends will vary from no makeup to rather unique make up or hair colors.

The Duggar girls are all pretty, and yes, like many of us, they use make up to accentuate their better features. Jill wears less make up than the others, and has a natural prettiness to her.

The Bates girls are also very pretty girls, and other than Erin with her goofy hair, and Alyssa, they all seem to have a more natural beauty. I don't get the impression that Tori/Michael, or Carlin wear a lot of make up.

I don't think it serves much purpose to snark on things like Acne, etc, as that really is not something people can always control. And for the people who come on here and blame it on their eating habits etc, unfortunately Acne will strike even the most nutritionally sound among us.

From the little we have seen, Jessa seems to eat fairly good food, lots of fruit smoothies and veggies. Ben seems to like to cook so it seems like maybe Jessa is eating better. Yes, I know they like their Chic Fil A stuff, but overall, I imagine she eats as well as most people in her peer group.

Oh, well since you moved from LOS ANGELES, say no more. I can't believe I've gone my entire life living in the midwest without noticing that all the women around me have men's haircuts and are wearing windbreakers. :shifty-kitty:

I have never heard of a poodle perm. I had to google it and I'm still not entirely sure what it means. But the pictures coming up in my search lead me to believe that you may actually be trapped in a wormhole and are unknowingly living in the year 1989.

I think Jana and Joy are the beauties of the older girls, but none of them are ugly or homely in the slightest IMO, especially now the crunchy perms are gone. I do think they'd all benefit from having the split ends and a few inches taken off their hair because it overpowers them, but they're all quite pretty. I've always said that the Duggars make beautiful girls and extremely homely boys with unfortunate hairlines.

I think at the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. People have different 'types'. But objectively, none of the girls are ugly.

I haven't seen a windbreaker in years, and that's here in the south. :lol:

For what it's worth, I can see why some might have trouble seeing it with Jinger. She does apply her makeup with a heavy hand, and that is apparent even on camera, where a certain amount of heavy makeup is normal. She's naturally lovely, it's just a question of catching her without all the orange bronzer and foundation.

Makeup's a funny thing, though. Years ago, I wore makeup that was not of the greatest quality and had a habit of turning orange as the day went on. I wore it for about a week until I caught on to the fact that people were teasing me behind my back, then I stopped. Nowadays, that sort of thing has apparently become popular. Whodathunkit?

As for Jessa, I think she's always done the thing properly with diet and exercise. It just seems like she's always had cystic acne, and maybe it's genetic.

What kills me about all the makeup Jinger (and to a lesser extent, Jessa) wears is not the amount, but that she doesn't DO anything interesting with it. Makeup can be so much fun, and since she obviously spends a lot of time with it, why not go for different looks, especially with the eyes? Different eyeliner types and techniques, shadow colors, etc. But no, it's the same heavy eyeliner all around. What's the point?

You have to keep in mind when discussing how "stylish" or "normal" the Duggar girls are that they are not really participating in every day American society. They aren't watching television or hanging out at the mall, and Amy is probably their only regular exposure to someone in their age group who isn't conforming to their standards.

Their peers are other ATI kids who dress very similarly. I live in Nashville and see ATI families around here almost every day (for some reason they really seem to love shopping at Opry Mills) and the Duggar girls are much closer to conventionally stylish dress than most families I see. And yes, most of them have the curly hair. I don't see so much makeup on the ATI folks here, but I almost chalk up some of that to the girls wearing so much on camera to look decent in HD and then deciding they should continue to do so.

Christ on a cracker, what kind of 3rd-rate celebrity gossip site comment thread have I wandered into today? PS "Man haircuts" make Gothard baby Jesus cry.

Are Jinger and Lawson courting? I doubt it. If so, I think she would have gone with him to Florida last week.

Christ on a cracker, what kind of 3rd-rate celebrity gossip site comment thread have I wandered into today? PS "Man haircuts" make Gothard baby Jesus cry.

Are Jinger and Lawson courting? I doubt it. If so, I think she would have gone with him to Florida last week.

Aah yes, the topic at hand :)

But if she were there, would they even show her?

In the witness protection program, or not, so location cannot be revealed. :wink-kitty:

All I can say is.. whoa. When I first saw pics of female relatives here, I said WTF?! I WILL NOT get a KateCut, or wear a windbreaker/get a man haircut, ever. There are severe "lawnmower" (Kate/8) cuts still in vogue and I am in shock.

Yes, I moved from LOS ANGELES ... so I have a tiny clue into what is trendy. Pretty sure the Poodle Perm is not trendy, and pretty sure most locals talk about me with "that long hair after 50 ".... and you know what, if they are that bored, ok. Let them talk.

Sounds a bit like here. Though there are plenty of people with regular hair too. But I do see the Kate-cut (my husband calls it the "Can I speak to your manager" cut) sometimes.

Now if I head north a bit...it's a bit of a time warp and stuff like that is WAY more common. I have an idea of where you may be located....haha.

Oh, well since you moved from LOS ANGELES, say no more. I can't believe I've gone my entire life living in the midwest without noticing that all the women around me have men's haircuts and are wearing windbreakers. :shifty-kitty:

I have never heard of a poodle perm. I had to google it and I'm still not entirely sure what it means. But the pictures coming up in my search lead me to believe that you may actually be trapped in a wormhole and are unknowingly living in the year 1989.

I don't think any entire state or area has a certain style or whatever. But I do know that some of the smaller towns I've visited (and lived in) in some states...it is like traveling back in time 5-10 years or so. It's really interesting to me though. Certain fashions and stuff show up way later than other parts of the country.

However, I've noticed that most larger cities are fairly similar. (Can't speak for ALL cities though as I'm not that well-traveled.)

What kills me about all the makeup Jinger (and to a lesser extent, Jessa) wears is not the amount, but that she doesn't DO anything interesting with it. Makeup can be so much fun, and since she obviously spends a lot of time with it, why not go for different looks, especially with the eyes? Different eyeliner types and techniques, shadow colors, etc. But no, it's the same heavy eyeliner all around. What's the point?

I was a bit like Jinger with makeup when I started as well....just piled on the eyeliner and called it 'smokey eye'. I cringe looking back at my old photos!

But I also had the benefit of having peers who were into makeup, seeing different looks in pop culture, getting to go to the mall alone and walk around makeup stores for hours and trying out products and getting the sales ladies to help me pick out some cool new things, being able to follow beauty v/bloggers on instagram and tumblr and being able to look at tutorials for different looks on pinterest.

I wonder how much access to any of that Jinger has.

I don't think any entire state or area has a certain style or whatever. But I do know that some of the smaller towns I've visited (and lived in) in some states...it is like traveling back in time 5-10 years or so. It's really interesting to me though. Certain fashions and stuff show up way later than other parts of the country.

However, I've noticed that most larger cities are fairly similar. (Can't speak for ALL cities though as I'm not that well-traveled.)

There are definitely regional differences, at least. Pacific Northwest has a different "look" than Los Angeles. New York has a different style than Salt Lake City. Anchorage has a very distinct lack of style. In general, the "look" and major trends will be affected by the climate at the very least. Then there are major industries as well. Teens might dress similar in big cities, following trends that are consistent with their parents economic standing; but adults are going to dress differently overall due to their jobs. If a city has a lot of industry type jobs (like North Dakota) you'll see a lot more carharts and work boots.

Having lived in several parts of the US, I would agree that there are huge regional differences in makeup/clothes. The Duggar girls have a fundie edge, for sure. However, just knowing where they are from is enough to explain a lot about their beauty choices.

I am wondering this as well. I am in the midwest as well, and long hair, make-up, fake tans, real tans, fake nails/real nails, etc are all just as common here as anywhere else.

I don't think the geographic region has a big play in that, but lifestyle does. My friends who are outdoorsy or sporty tend to wear less makeup on a daily basis, but can definitely change it up for dressier events or nights on the town. My "hippie" friends will vary from no makeup to rather unique make up or hair colors.

The Duggar girls are all pretty, and yes, like many of us, they use make up to accentuate their better features. Jill wears less make up than the others, and has a natural prettiness to her.

The Bates girls are also very pretty girls, and other than Erin with her goofy hair, and Alyssa, they all seem to have a more natural beauty. I don't get the impression that Tori/Michael, or Carlin wear a lot of make up.

I don't think it serves much purpose to snark on things like Acne, etc, as that really is not something people can always control. And for the people who come on here and blame it on their eating habits etc, unfortunately Acne will strike even the most nutritionally sound among us.

From the little we have seen, Jessa seems to eat fairly good food, lots of fruit smoothies and veggies. Ben seems to like to cook so it seems like maybe Jessa is eating better. Yes, I know they like their Chic Fil A stuff, but overall, I imagine she eats as well as most people in her peer group.

I think Erin Bates is just beautiful. She's just all-american blond-haired big blue-eyed beauty. She's also a sweetheart. Michaela doesn't look like she wears a lot of make-up and has really features naturally. She just looks like she's wearing makeup because she has funky colored eyes and dark lashes and prominent eyebrows. I think the older Bates girls are more attractive than the Duggar girls (who are pretty). But the Bateses have really horrible awkward stages. I mean awkward-stage Alyssa makes awkward-stage Jinger look like a movie star! duggarfamilyblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/alyssa-jana.jpg

I think Tori is the unlucky one of the Bate's flock but they're all nice looking girls.

I will 'third' the regional (and even sub-regional) differences. I have lived in NYC, SF, and Chicago suburbs and my makeup and clothes have been and would still be quite different in each place.

FWIW the fake-orange-tan, acrylic-nails, highlights thing doesn't happen as often in NYC or SF but I go home to the Chicago suburbs and see it all the time. It's funny b/c I think of that style as 'dated' but it's just that I left living there long ago. It's still quite common, and so I suppose, in style there.

That's not to say women in SF and NYC aren't going spray tanning, getting gel manicures and dying their hair (if only to make it richer looking and more shinny) but the end result is just a different style.

Yeah, regional differences are definitely a thing, but claiming that ALL women in a certain place never wear makeup and have men's haircuts is a bit extreme.

I think there's a pretty big mix where I live of people who are more current with their style and then those stuck in some other era. (I, personally, have no style at all.)

I saw 2 Kate Gosselin haircuts today while shopping.

And then on Facebook I saw a friend of a friend with an interesting profile picture. I thought maybe it was a joke or something. But I looked and it's just how she wears her hair. And her friends were commenting on how great she looks. I was slightly shocked.

yikeshair.jpg

I mean, I KNOW I don't look great most of the time. So it's weird if people don't realize it. I get that everyone has a different idea of what looks good. But how can anyone think hair like the photo above is good? Or how can anyone think an orange fake tan is good? It's kind of fascinating to me for some reason. It's like people who sing and don't realize they are tone deaf.

I always thought that Bates boys and Duggar girls are more blessed when it comes to looks. All of the Duggar girls are pretty imo but Jessa would look perfect as Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones. I think it is the stunning bone structure.

Too bad her personality does not match. She would have been the lovechild of Cersei/Walder Frey who grew up and became a zealot follower of the Seven.

I always thought that Bates boys and Duggar girls are more blessed when it comes to looks. All of the Duggar girls are pretty imo but Jessa would look perfect as Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones. I think it is the stunning bone structure.

Too bad her personality does not match. She would have been the lovechild of Cersei/Walder Frey who grew up and became a zealot follower of the Seven.

She really, really does remind me of Cersei: bitchy in a fun way, but also imagines herself to be far more competent than she actually is. Michelle is definitely Lysa Arryn (and Josie is Robin/Robert). JB is Walder Frey. Alternately, JB is Roose Bolton: doing absolutely nothing to stop his sexually predatory, sadistic asshole of a son.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived